• Crawley Town

Votes: 10 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Less than a mile (WAFC)

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
We've sold 5,000 home tickets, so we're looking at 6,600 with 2 business days left to go and the potential of a lot of people leaving it until Monday to get tickets. Doubt we'll hit the 9,000 we got against Wrexham, but it could be close. Anything over 8k would be decent I think.

More against us than for the play offs...

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
We've sold 5,000 home tickets, so we're looking at 6,600 with 2 business days left to go and the potential of a lot of people leaving it until Monday to get tickets. Doubt we'll hit the 9,000 we got against Wrexham, but it could be close. Anything over 8k would be decent I think.
Would it?

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Donny keeper having his ban rescinded is rather mental.
I thought that a 'keeper handling the ball outside the area was a straight red full stop. Crazy it's been rescinded.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Has to be deemed as stopping a goal scoring opportunity

Watched it again and on that basis probably a yellow given there’s 3 other defenders who’d have got there first on that basis.

One of those where you’d have gone mental had it been a yellow given against your team though.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
I thought that a 'keeper handling the ball outside the area was a straight red full stop. Crazy it's been rescinded.

The law is no different for a goalkeeper as it is for any outfield player. So handball outside the box for a goalkeeper is a yellow card offence if it 'interferes with or stops a promising attack' and is a red card offence if it is 'denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity'.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Watched it again and on that basis probably a yellow given there’s 3 other defenders who’d have got there first on that basis.

One of those where you’d have gone mental had it been a yellow given against your team though.

The header was going in though wasnt it? seems like he headed it with enough power I doubt any of the 3 would have stopped it.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
The header was going in though wasnt it? seems like he headed it with enough power I doubt any of the 3 would have stopped it.

Nah, the defender headed it for a start and it was going wide of the goal.

Scum.

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
I disagree with this. At the start of the season we were barely getting 2000 people turn up. To triple that number is something to shout about...however, it will be less than 6000 due to the need for segregation.

Everyone knows we are a small club with less fans than nearly every other team in the league. It's who and what we are. If you disparage a club for being smaller than your club you have to accept that Man Utd fans can disparage your club too.

Casey

Not disparaging you lot at all. I like Crawley and your fans shared dislike of AFCW :bg:

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
So you are saying that the expectation is more people will have turned up hoping to be on Disney than for at present your most important game of the season? Pretty crap given you’ve turned us down for more tickets

Forgive his pessimism but I believe it'll pretty much be a similar attendance of around 9000. The weekly pay brigade get their packets today so a fair few are shifting this afternoon. If 7000 home fans will turn up in the freezing cold to watch us play Barrow, I'm sure we'll get well over 7000 home fans plus your lot in attendance for this Bank Holiday playoff fixture.

Lets not bring up the allocation again. You've already got nearly 700 more than the minimum allocation we were obliged to give anyway and even the World famous Wrexham FC were only given one stand the other week.

I'd simply be grateful Nevitt scored in the last minute last week, else 1100 of your fans due in attendance on Monday would've been watching your playoff game vs Crawley in the pub or at home.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
Forgive his pessimism but I believe it'll pretty much be a similar attendance of around 9000. The weekly pay brigade get their packets today so a fair few are shifting this afternoon. If 7000 home fans will turn up in the freezing cold to watch us play Barrow, I'm sure we'll get well over 7000 home fans plus your lot in attendance for this Bank Holiday playoff fixture.

Lets not bring up the allocation again. You've already got nearly 700 more than the minimum allocation we were obliged to give anyway and even the World famous Wrexham FC were only given one stand the other week.

I'd simply be grateful Nevitt scored in the last minute last week, else 1100 of your fans due in attendance on Monday would've been watching your playoff game vs Crawley in the pub or at home.
The allocation was only a reaction to the post, given that we’ve more than halved what we would normally give I’m hardly in a position to complain

Posh Harry

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Remember Gary Jones elbowing a Lincoln player in injury time of the second leg for us and getting a red, we appealed it with no right to really and they overturned it and he played in the final. Are they a bit more lenient with playoff matches?

Also worth pointing out that your average home attendance has gone up by 1000 post-COVID and that's not just due to being in the playoffs, was also up significantly last season when you finished 22nd. Which doesn't seem like a great amount in comparison to other clubs in the division but extrapolate that accordingly and it's like a club going from crowds of 6000 to 9000. I've mentioned before that I was impressed with the fans behind the goal at your place last season, good atmosphere there when it gets going and I'm sure it be bouncing in there on Monday. Good luck to you!

The Gary Jones one was defo a red but they saw it was against a Lincoln player so thought ‘fair enough’

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
So you are saying that the expectation is more people will have turned up hoping to be on Disney than for at present your most important game of the season? Pretty crap given you’ve turned us down for more tickets
Can I ask, what exactly is crap? Who or what are you criticising?

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Pretty self explanatory, having a smaller attendance for a league game than a home playoff tie
But herein lies my issue. Who or what are we criticising when we talk about attendances being 'poor'? Is it a reflection on the club? How can it be? They've set a fair price, the same as a Wrexham ticket would cost. Nothing more they can do, aside from physically dragging people to the ground.

It's not a reflection on the fans that will go to this game is it? They are there after all.

So, it must be a reflection on those that went to the Wrexham game and potentially not this one. But who are these individuals we criticise? Well they clearly aren't proper Crewe fans, else they would go on Monday. They are clearly part timers or fair weather supporters, or fans who just wanted to see the Disney circus in town. Well, they aren't the kind of fans I want in the stadium for this sort of game, if that's their attitude.

Attendance numbers discussions are the dumbest discourse in football, by far. People use what they perceive to be smaller attendances as a sign a club is tinpot or whatever. When in reality it's no reflection on the club or the fans that go in most cases.

We get on Monday what we get. If it does in fact turn out to be lower than the Wrexham game, then it is what it is. It's not poor or anything like that.

Me personally, I would rather see 3,500 home fans for this game, because they are the ones that came when we were shit and the ones that have been to most games this season. Better that than see an extra 3,500 fans who only turn up because its Disney or a play-off game.

Football fans need to move past attendance discussions. They're dumb and don't mean anything.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Me personally, I would rather see 3,500 home fans for this game, because they are the ones that came when we were shit and the ones that have been to most games this season. Better that than see an extra 3,500 fans who only turn up because its Disney or a play-off game.

Football fans need to move past attendance discussions. They're dumb and don't mean anything.

Obviously each to their own and what anyone things really doesn't matter a jot and personally I don't believe you.

If indeed true that is an incredibly short sighted , unambitious viewpoint to take. You wouldn't rather have thousands extra turn up to watch the game live at the stadium giving money to the club instead of on their sofa or down the club for the big games. You wouldn't want the opportunity to impress, persuade a percentage of these to go to more games at Gresty Road, buy a season ticket after having a great experience, not on their sofa or in a pub?! Personally that's crazy talk. Why wouldn't you want more people paying to get through the tunrstiles at you're club?

As for attendance talk being dumb and meaning nothing that maybe true but some football fans will never move past it or even want to. I can think of a dozen or so instantly who love nothing more about talking how many fans they take away, who took more to the corresponding fixtures, comment on how loud they were ot weren't, give reasons and excuses for disappointing numbers, taking the Mickey out of others. Those select few would totally disagree with that statement. They live on the internet for willy waving away attendance following even though it doesn't financially benefit and general the health of the club like home attendances.

Those folks will always remain, especially at lower league level where talking about success on the pitch is commonly so rare, history books are paper thin and trophy cabinet and achievements are so barren . Best to concentrate on how many we took to Gillingham in October.

Last edited:

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
What I think JJ really means is due to the size of Crewe, it's location and what football clubs surround them they limited in what their home attendances can be. To a large degree what the.club can do is restricted because of externally factors. Crewe will only ever be small, sometimes punching well above their weight, and not keen on attendance talk. Can't argue with any of that Crewe historically excellent elsewhere.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
No, let's bring it up again. If you don't sell out the home ends and you're denying Donny tickets for a playoff match it's scummy and tinpot in my opinion. I know there's the argument that you shouldn't be giving advantages to the away team but I'm firmly not in that camp. It's fucking shite having to sit in a pub watching your side in a playoff match when there are empty seats. The away fans that are willing to pay the money and do the miles that have done throughout the season should have the chance to watch their side in the biggest games of the season.

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Obviously each to their own and what anyone things really doesn't matter a jot and personally I don't believe you.

If indeed true that is an incredibly short sighted , unambitious viewpoint to take. You wouldn't rather have thousands extra turn up to watch the game live at the stadium giving money to the club instead of on their sofa or down the club for the big games. You wouldn't want the opportunity to impress, persuade a percentage of these to go to more games at Gresty Road, buy a season ticket after having a great experience, not on their sofa or in a pub?! Personally that's crazy talk. Why wouldn't you want more people paying to get through the tunrstiles at you're club?

As for attendance talk being dumb and meaning nothing that maybe true but some football fans will never move past it or even want to. I can think of a dozen or so instantly who love nothing more about talking how many fans they take away, who took more to the corresponding fixtures, comment on how loud they were ot weren't, give reasons and excuses for disappointing numbers, taking the Mickey out of others. Those select few would totally disagree with that statement. They live on the internet for willy waving away attendance following even though it doesn't financially benefit and general the health of the club like home attendances.

Those folks will always remain, especially at lower league level where talking about success on the pitch is commonly so rare, history books are paper thin and trophy cabinet and achievements are so barren . Best to concentrate on how many we took to Gillingham in October.
With the last 2 paragraphs, I know. I don't expect people to suddenly move on from the debate, as it's a popular one. I'm just saying it's dumb and given it's 2024, we need to start evolving the discussion away from what is such a stupid and pointless discourse.

With the first paragraph, I'm not saying don't come. I'm just saying I don't care if they do or don't. And nobody else should either. Because there is no benefit to this team having 3,500 fans singing and cheering with another 3,500 sat on their hands because they don't really care about football or this team to bother getting involved. Sure, there might be a short term boost in terms of finances, but they likely won't be back next season. So what's the point?

In my opinion, people either care about football or they don't. Growing fan bases are almost impossible, because they are based entirely around a teams fortunes. Which in the lower leagues, are so volatile you've got no chance of maintaining it. There are countless examples of teams who saw a sudden boom in numbers, only for them to drop once the success stopped. So why chase this short term boost?

All I'm saying is, whatever we get, we get. I couldn't care less if it was 3,500 or 7,000.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
I agree that getting a semi over away attendances is dumb but as we all know that won't change anytime soon.

Believing 3500 fans made up of daytrippers, first timers and fair weather fans won't contribute to the atmosphere for the team is a stretch to say the least. To assume none of those 3500 would potentially return on a regular basis And becomes ST holders helping the club in the medium and long term is just plain wrong.

It's a rather bizarre and certainly defeatist attitude but everyone is entitled to one. Could be an interesting debate

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
No, let's bring it up again. If you don't sell out the home ends and you're denying Donny tickets for a playoff match it's scummy and tinpot in my opinion. I know there's the argument that you shouldn't be giving advantages to the away team but I'm firmly not in that camp. It's fucking shite having to sit in a pub watching your side in a playoff match when there are empty seats. The away fans that are willing to pay the money and do the miles that have done throughout the season should have the chance to watch their side in the biggest games of the season.
Wow, where to begin with this. Wrong on virtually every sentence, impressive.

Let me ask you this? Why on earth do we owe it to Donny fans to give them extra tickets? They averaged 700 away fans this season, so more than enough for every one of their die hards to get one. If they have been unable to get one, it's on Doncaster and their ticketing systems, not on us.

The clubs goal isn't to sell out the stadium, it's to provide the best atmosphere possible and give our team, which needs all the help it can get, every chance of getting through to Wembley. It makes way more sense for us to have 3 stands with home fans in, with maybe 1,000 empty seats, than to sell out the stadium but have 2 sides of it full of Donny fans. What benefit is that to us? Make a few extra grand?

Again, we owe nothing to Donny fans. We gave a more than fair allocation and we are well within our rights to not give another quarter of our ground to away fans.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Getting away from attendances, we have both Jon Taylor and George Miller back in full training, no idea if either would be risked even for the bench but if they are it adds some extra pace to our forward line.

Scum.

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Taking liberties a bit with the title of this thread, but this is kind of related as it mentions the play-offs.

Like us (or him) or not, incredible he has managed 938 games since starting his career in 2003. He beat Trollope’s most league games ever for one club this season and you do wonder if anyone will ever beat Lewington’s records (whatever incredible numbers those end up being when he retires).

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Taking liberties a bit with the title of this thread, but this is kind of related as it mentions the play-offs.

Like us (or him) or not, incredible he has managed 938 games since starting his career in 2003. He beat Trollope’s most league games ever for one club this season and you do wonder if anyone will ever beat Lewington’s records (whatever incredible numbers those end up being when he retires).
Where any of his games for Wimbledon before they changed their name to MK, and would that be for two clubs and not one.

Scum.

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Where any of his games for Wimbledon before they changed their name to MK, and would that be for two clubs and not one.
He played 29 for Wimbledon when they were based in MK. Obviously arguable how much you want to count those, but usually the stattos don’t (in the same way they count AFCW as a separate club, which they are).

Regardless, even if you take those games away, he still smashed the one club record (most league games for a club) among many others and impressive nevertheless, especially in today’s era of mercenaries.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
A bonus of birmingham awaits the winners.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Wow, where to begin with this. Wrong on virtually every sentence, impressive.
RATTLED.
Let me ask you this? Why on earth do we owe it to Donny fans to give them extra tickets? They averaged 700 away fans this season, so more than enough for every one of their die hards to get one. If they have been unable to get one, it's on Doncaster and their ticketing systems, not on us.
That would be a fantastic point if Donny's average away support was made up of exacltly the same 700 fans every following.

The clubs goal isn't to sell out the stadium, it's to provide the best atmosphere possible and give our team, which needs all the help it can get, every chance of getting through to Wembley. It makes way more sense for us to have 3 stands with home fans in, with maybe 1,000 empty seats, than to sell out the stadium but have 2 sides of it full of Donny fans. What benefit is that to us? Make a few extra grand?
Trust me pal, you could fill all four sides with Crewe fans and there wouldn't be any atmosphere at Gresty Road!!
Again, we owe nothing to Donny fans. We gave a more than fair allocation and we are well within our rights to not give another quarter of our ground to away fans.
I'm not arguing with this. Doesn't change the fact that it's a scumbag move. If you disagree with that fair enough but I'm certainly not on my own on this. This isn't an attack on Crewe either by the way, it's a trend that's happening more and more and my opinion hasn't and won't change on it.

Last edited:

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
What’s up with the crewe allocation to doncaster? presume they’ve given that side down the side and that’s it? if so what’s the issue?

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
What’s up with the crewe allocation to doncaster? presume they’ve given that side down the side and that’s it? if so what’s the issue?
Home support they’ve opened most of the North stand for us and it looks like there will be very few left for general sale

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
4K UK IPTV