2023/24 League Two Promotion Thread

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Completely agree and Saturday was a good point; No team has played better against us than Morecambe did and they are solid at home. We did incredibly well over the Christmas period including beating the league leaders.

4231 can clearly play a part but it’s picking it for the right games, these next two at home it be silly to play it in my opinion.

I sense the nervousness at home too, but it’s got to be said other than the second half at Grimsby(in which we didn’t score) we haven’t played well at home for a while now and need to improve our performance levels at the Mill.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
100% mate, it’s been the case all season I think. We’ve not nearly been as good at home as on the road but still hadn’t lose until Crewe ruined our run last week. Good opportunity to put back to back wins together here though and that should settle some folks nerves hopefully.

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
92 - Predicted Champions
91 -
90 -
88 - Average Champions
87 - Predicted Automatics
86 -
85 -
84 -
83 -
82 - Average Automatics
81 -
80 -
79 -
78 -
77 -
76 -
75 -
74 -
73 - Predicted Play Offs
72 - Average Play Offs
71 -
70 -
69 -
68 -
67 -
66 -
65 -
64 -
63 -
62 -
61 -
60 -
59 -
58 -
57 -
56 -
55 -
54 - Stockport(27)
53 -
52 - Wrexham(27)
51 - Mansfield(27)
-------------------------------------------------
50 - Crewe(28)
49 - Barrow(28)
48 -
47 -
46 -
45 - MK Dons(27)
44 -
43 - Notts County(27)
42 -
42 - Gillingham(27)
41 -
40 - Harrogate(27)
39 - AFC Wimbledon(27)

Not much change because so few teams have played. But there have been some developments. Mansfield are now winless in 3 and stuttering at the worst moment. Teams like Gillingham and Wimbledon are also not in great form. Wrexham and Barrow lost their last games, whilst Stockport, Harrogate and Notts County haven't played. Crewe are in the best form of the current top 7, having won their last 4 straight and gone unbeaten in 5.

1st - Stockport, 54 points, GD 29: Doncaster(A), Harrogate(H), Grimsby(A), Crewe(H), Tranmere(A)
2nd - Wrexham, 52 points, GD 17: Salford(A), Bradford(H), Sutton(A), Notts County(H), MK Dons(A)
3rd - Mansfield, 51 points, GD 24: AFC Wimbledon(A), Notts County(H), Forest Green(A), Harrogate(H), Walsall(A)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4th - Crewe, 50 points, GD 12: Salford(H), Tranmere(A), Crawley(H), Stockport(A), Harrogate(H)
5th - Barrow, 49 points, GD 12: Notts County(A), MK Dons(H), Wimbledon(A), Forest Green(H), Salford(A)
6th - MK Dons, 45 points, GD 10: Gillingham(H), Barrow(A), Accrington(H), Bradford(A), Swindon(A)
7th - Notts County, 43 points, GD 8: Barrow(H), Mansfield(A), Gillingham(H), Newport(A), Wrexham(A)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8th - Gillingham, 42 points, GD -8: MK Dons(A), Walsall(H), Notts County(A), Swindon(H), Newport(A)
9th - Harrogate, 40 points, GD -1: Sutton(A), Stockport(A), Colchester(H), Mansfield(A), Crewe(A)
10th - AFC Wimbledon, 39 points, GD 11: Mansfield(H), Bradford(A), Barrow(H), Accrington(A), Morecambe(H)

Looks like a lot of tough fixtures coming up the teams at the top. Mansfield, Barrow and Notts County all have tough games, as do Harrogate.

Upcoming Fixtures:
AFC Wimbledon
v Mansfield Town
Crewe Alex
v Salford City
Doncaster Rovers v Stockport County
MK Dons
v Gillingham
Notts County v Barrow

3 promotion 6 pointers. Wimbledon against Mansfield is the stoppable force meets the moveable object at the moment. Neither side in good form. The negativity will crank up to 11 for whichever team loses that one. MK Dons will fancy their chances of beating Gillingham though. Crewe and Stockport have tricky games against strugglers, both could be banana skins if they aren't careful.

Wrexham are in cup action, so they'll have to watch and see how the other teams do this weekend.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I don’t think this is the worst moment for a stutter.

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
So we are only six points clear of MK Dons and we have to play them twice.

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
So we are only six points clear of MK Dons and we have to play them twice.

We still have Stockport, Notts County and Barrow away, Wrexham and bogey team Crewe at home... we're looking alright but some very tough fixtures when you look at who we have coming up in February/March with both highly placed teams and bogey teams we just always seem to struggle against

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
Did Mansfield STUTTER?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Did Mansfield STUTTER?

It’s the turn of the year mate, we turn into a pumpkin, this is when we fall apart fall of the pace end up in the playoffs and lose.

He simply has to get in at least 2 forwards/attacking AMs, last night is another game we should’ve won and didn’t - it’s all on us as the chances we crewste to conversion to goals is abysmal.

He also needs to stop picking his favourites, it’s getting boring and costing us.

Address this and we’ve still a chance.

Last edited:

Pilot_Phonic

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Our injuries/suspensions are killing us. Walking wounded at the moment, but having this game on Monday gives us a free hit in where i'm not expecting anything major from it, and then give it another week of recovery to get some bodies back.

Plus we need to strengthen massively up front. Having Mullin is great, but can't do it on his own. Dalby is shite, Palmer is past it and Fletcher is a bit part player. Bickerstaff is a kid but miles off the standard if we are going to get promoted. £500k on a striker, midfielder and defender would do me between now and this time next week. See where we are for promotion then.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Our injuries/suspensions are killing us. Walking wounded at the moment, but having this game on Monday gives us a free hit in where i'm not expecting anything major from it, and then give it another week of recovery to get some bodies back.

Plus we need to strengthen massively up front. Having Mullin is great, but can't do it on his own. Dalby is shite, Palmer is past it and Fletcher is a bit part player. Bickerstaff is a kid but miles off the standard if we are going to get promoted. £500k on a striker, midfielder and defender would do me between now and this time next week. See where we are for promotion then.
If you drop another 500k before the window shuts and don't get promotion, Parkinson should be shot never mind sacked. And I rate him as a solid manager.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I know Mansfield seem to do some sort of bottle job every year but after seeing them twice this season if they don’t go up this time it will in my opinion be the worst bottle job of the lot.
If they don’t get promoted with that team then they never will.
I still think they will go up, for what it’s worth.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
They better go up and ideally in the Top 3 :£

Sounds like they are just one quality forward/striker away from guaranteed promotion.

It won't be the usual choke job by the Staggies and they will go up. It's the YOTS after all.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I know Mansfield seem to do some sort of bottle job every year but after seeing them twice this season if they don’t go up this time it will in my opinion be the worst bottle job of the lot.
If they don’t get promoted with that team then they never will.
I still think they will go up, for what it’s worth.

But our team clearly has a massive flaw in the striker department, you’d expect that to be sorted soon mind.

Our defence is better than the other two, but they have ridiculously better attacking options than us, it’s not even close and we need to close that gap. We won’t go up with just Akins as a lone striker.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

I'm firmly of the opinion that we can go up automatically as we are now. Moving on the 3 or 4 who arent likely to feature and upgrading them with better players will obviously improve the odds of that.

As we know the club likes to look ahead and build a team for the league above, so if we do that great. At present we aren't quite there.

Arthur staying on till the rest of the season is a great start.

Pilot_Phonic

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I'm firmly of the opinion that we can go up automatically as we are now. Moving on the 3 or 4 who arent likely to feature and upgrading them with better players will obviously improve the odds of that.

As we know the club likes to look ahead and build a team for the league above, so if we do that great. At present we aren't quite there.

Arthur staying on till the rest of the season is a great start.
I reckon if we stay as we are, we don't go up automatically as our away form is horrific. Get the quality to sustain in league 1 so when we do go up, we don't need to get many bodies in. Defo move on about 4 players would be ideal.

Pilot_Phonic

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
If you drop another 500k before the window shuts and don't get promotion, Parkinson should be shot never mind sacked. And I rate him as a solid manager.
What do you mean, another 500k?? We didn't spend that in the summer albeit we were close to....

I mean its short change for us these days that type of money! :D

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
I reckon if we stay as we are, we don't go up automatically as our away form is horrific. Get the quality to sustain in league 1 so when we do go up, we don't need to get many bodies in. Defo move on about 4 players would be ideal.
Our away form is not too bad considering we've already been to a lot of the top sides. We need to attack more though, we are paying far too much respect to sides on the road. Hopefully it will pick up a bit with the fixtures we've got left.

But at home we've been brilliant but you'd expect that to drop off a bit seeing as we've got the top sides still to play.

So basically I think our points ratio will probably continue as it is and at the moment that is enough for promotion.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I'm in the camp that we'll be fine as we are, but I'd much rather a couple of extra signings are made to seal the deal.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
We've not won away since mid November and we're still top. It's hard to sweep teams aside in this league away from home. Every away win is an excellent win and most away draws are decent results.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
We've not won away since mid November and we're still top. It's hard to sweep teams aside in this league away from home. Every away win is an excellent win and most away draws are decent results.

Mansfield are the best away side in the division, it’s home we struggle with teams sticking everyone behind the ball all game.

Pilot_Phonic

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Our away form is not too bad considering we've already been to a lot of the top sides. We need to attack more though, we are paying far too much respect to sides on the road. Hopefully it will pick up a bit with the fixtures we've got left.

But at home we've been brilliant but you'd expect that to drop off a bit seeing as we've got the top sides still to play.

So basically I think our points ratio will probably continue as it is and at the moment that is enough for promotion.
Your last point is what I agree with, but away from home is where our tactics are non existant, we cant score more than 2 goals (exception of Crewe where they were desperate to lose in the tinpot trophy) and we rarely shoot.

Away form is pants and I expect a lot more from us but for some reason, we don't replicate to a certain degree our home play which is far far better and more effective to get goals. At home we average about 3 per game which is a fantastic record to have and teams need to go for the jugular, but will get punished with the talent we have. Away though, we have scored less than 1 a game which quite frankly is pathetic for someone who is currently 2nd in the league.

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
94 - Predicted Champions
93 -
92 -
91 -
90 -
88 - Average Champions
87 -
86 -
85 -
84 - Predicted Automatics
83 -
82 - Average Automatics
81 -
80 -
79 -
78 -
77 -
76 -
75 -
74 -
73 -
72 - Average Play Offs, Predicted Play Offs
71 -
70 -
69 -
68 -
67 -
66 -
65 -
64 -
63 -
62 -
61 -
60 -
59 -
58 -
57 - Stockport(28)
56 -
55 -
54 -
53 -
52 - Wrexham(27)
51 - Mansfield(28)
50 - Barrow(29), Crewe(29)
49 -
48 - MK Dons(28)
47 -
46 -
48 -
44 -
44 - Notts County(28)
43 -
42 - AFC Wimbledon(28), Gillingham(28)
41 - Accrington(28)

A great week for Stockport, who stretch their lead at the top. Decent for Wrexham too, who don't play but see all their top 7 rivals bar MK Dons lose. Mixed results for the rest. Mansfield lose late on against Wimbledon, although almost getting a draw with 10 men is to be applauded, even if their form isn't looking too good.

Barrow and Notts County split the points at Meadow Lane. Crewe lose at home to Salford, whilst MK Dons close the gap on the teams above them with another routine home win.

Wimbledon are back in the play-off picture with a good win over Mansfield, but Gillingham keep stuttering and Accrington now jump back into the top 10 after a narrow away win at FGR.

1st - Stockport, 57 points, GD 34: Harrogate(H), Grimsby(A), Crewe(H), Tranmere(A), Gillingham(A)
2nd - Wrexham, 52 points, GD 17: Salford(A), Bradford(H), Sutton(A), Notts County(H), MK Dons(A)
3rd - Mansfield, 51 points, GD 23: Notts County(H), Forest Green(A), Harrogate(H), Walsall(A), Salford(H)
4th - Barrow, 50 points, GD 12: MK Dons(H), Wimbledon(A), Forest Green(H), Salford(A), Bradford(H)
5th - Crewe, 50 points, GD 11: Tranmere(A), Crawley(H), Stockport(A), Harrogate(H), Notts County(A)
6th - MK Dons, 48 points, GD 11: Barrow(A), Accrington(H), Bradford(A), Swindon(A), Wrexham(H)
7th - Notts County, 43 points, GD 8: Mansfield(A), Gillingham(H), Newport(A), Wrexham(A), Crewe(H)

8th - AFC Wimbledon, 42 points, GD 12: Bradford(A), Barrow(H), Accrington(A), Morecambe(H), Doncaster(A)
9th - Gillingham, 42 points, GD -9: Walsall(H), Notts County(A), Swindon(H), Newport(A), Stockport(H)
10th - Accrington, 41 points, GD 4: Grimsby(H), MK Dons(A), Wimbledon(H), Colchester(A), Crawley(H)

Saturday's Fixtures
Accrington Stanley
v Grimsby Town
Barrow v Milton Keynes Dons
Bradford City v AFC Wimbledon
Gillingham
v Walsall
Mansfield Town v Notts County
Salford City v Wrexham
Stockport County
v Harrogate Town
Tranmere Rovers v Crewe Alexandra

Tough set of games this week for most teams. The 2 big ones are the ones at Holker Street and Field Mill. 2 very tasty games there. Accrington will fancy their chances against Grimsby, as will Wrexham and Stockport. Gillingham, who knows what version of them shows up. Wrexham's trip to Salford looks tricky though and Crewe travel to improving Tranmere, where they haven't won since 2000.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
At present you’d be looking at stockport wrexham and MK for automatics.

WhiteRussian

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
I think Stockport is too strong but a good few clubs are in the fight for the other 2 autos. Still a lot of games to play.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
There's loads of football to play, plenty of twists and turns yet.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
RIP Harrogate's promotion charge.

Early 2024 - Early 2024.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Well we're still in the mix and after the next 2 games (MK Dons and the real Dons) we'll have played all of the teams in the top 10 home and away with the exception of Gillingham and Mansfield (who we play last day of the season).

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
To be on the way out of our injury crisis seven points clear of fourth with a game in hand is not something I would have predicted after that horrendous loss to Aldershot in the Cup six weeks or so back.

Camps is finally looking like the player we expected to see when we signed him, Evans has come back from Wimbledon with renewed confidence and Powell’s starting to shine more and more and has managed to avoid injury for a whole month.

To go away from home and dismantle a team without any of Croasdale, Sarcevic or Collar starting is a very pleasant surprise.

If we do finally have strength in depth in midfield on the pitch rather than on paper then we should be a shoe in for the top 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanPep
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!