Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Apparently clubs have voted 20-4 in favour of no Relegation for the bottom club

darren gregory

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
Tranmere were flying as well, don't know exact stats but definitely were on a great run of form

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
EFL and FA need to formally approve everything, but it looks like Stevenage are going to get away with one here.

I can see National League being the same - Barrow promoted and the playoffs still going ahead.

Organising the playoffs will be alot easier as its just 5 games - But there will still be that risk.

Colchester may be without 4 of their players after telling them that they're leaving regardless.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
EFL and FA need to formally approve everything, but it looks like Stevenage are going to get away with one here.

I can see National League being the same - Barrow promoted and the playoffs still going ahead.

Organising the playoffs will be alot easier as its just 5 games - But there will still be that risk.

Colchester may be without 4 of their players after telling them that they're leaving regardless.

If Stevenage are reprieved though, surely there'd be no NL playoffs as you're looking at 25 clubs in League Two next season...

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

Sam Wallace

@SamWallaceTel
League 2 clubs have voted 20-4 in favour of there being no relegation of the bottom club, currently @StevenageFC. Subject to formal vote & EFL, FA ratification

15:15 - 15 May 2020

There is no relegation for the bottom club, so the conference can have playoffs all it wants but they won’t be a promotion spot at the end of it

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
If the mighty Manchester United can lose an 8 point lead with 4 games to play 2011/12 , then literally anything is possible in football.
Only ourselves, Bradford and Stevenage will be pissed off with the resolution.

And i am, as are many of our fans over on Exeweb. We wanted it voided, not done on a ridiculous method which is unfair and based on guess work and maths.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Inconsistencies in the leagues is looking bad.

How can Stevenage not go down but League one sides do go down? Will surely see some kicking off especially Tranmere.

Doing the play offs is farcical too. Northampton could easily have finished 9-10th had it finished and could get promoted? The linesman at Cheltenham cost us a play off spot! But as I’ve said I’d rather we did it the right way than like this so although feel we’ve maybe been done over here I don’t expect we will be kicking and screaming like McAnthony for example and will rightly build from a decent financial point to have a go at doing it properly with fans hopefully there to see it in May 2021. We’d have snapped your hand off for 8th and the fact this pandemic has left us hugely frustrated as we had a great chance with the form we are in to do something this season it shows the progress we’ve made which seemed a million miles away just over 12 months ago.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
If they scrapped relegation in every division you're going to be looking at 23/24/24/21 (unless the NL is allowed to hold playoffs and then L2 will have 22 clubs in it)

All well and good, but what happens next season? 5/6 relegated from the Prem with 2/3 promoted? 5/6 relegated from the Championship with 2/3 promoted? 6/7 relegated from League One with 3/4 promoted? And then 2 down and 2 up between EFL and NL and everything goes back to normal?

Seems pretty heavy to think as many as 21 teams in the 92 could be relegated next season. But not relegating Stevenage is setting a very dangerous precedent. And I can't see the PL wanting a 23 team league either.

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Inconsistencies in the leagues is looking bad.

How can Stevenage not go down but League one sides do go down? Will surely see some kicking off especially Tranmere.

Doing the play offs is farcical too. Northampton could easily have finished 9-10th had it finished and could get promoted? The linesman at Cheltenham cost us a play off spot! But as I’ve said I’d rather we did it the right way than like this so although feel we’ve maybe been done over here I don’t expect we will be kicking and screaming like McAnthony for example and will rightly build from a decent financial point to have a go at doing it properly with fans hopefully there to see it in May 2021. We’d have snapped your hand off for 8th and the fact this pandemic has left us hugely frustrated as we had a great chance with the form we are in to do something this season it shows the progress we’ve made which seemed a million miles away just over 12 months ago.

I see what your saying, but everyone can look back at things over the season (3/4 of a season!) for example, if the ref had not been such an arse away at Plymouth we may have been Champions for the first time ever, instead we look to be runners up, it is what it is and nobody knows for sure how thing would have progressed if COVID-19 didn't take hold, I'm convinced that we would have won the league as i thought we were imperious at home and would have picked more points up on our travels, but on the other hand if they said that as from June the season would be re-started behind closed doors then I would be concerned that the form would have been lost, at least this way teams are rewarded for their efforts for a big chunk of a season, as opposed to staring the same season after a longer break than a normal pre-season.

I think the Stevenage non relegation is down to no play offs in the national league, I think.

I'm loving the the meltdowns on OVF aimed at us, this one is priceless,

"disgusting. To not even get a chance to play...

we'd have got in that top 7. We may have even finished above them lot down the road - they had a tough run in and had to come to Vale Park

yet we miss out while they get promoted. Missing out a load of games against the top half. A stroke of luck that all their games before the lockdown was against your Macclesfields and your Morecambes"

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
"In the event of a curtailment of the season, the EFL Board outlined how this could be addressed through a framework that includes maintaining the principle of promotion and relegation, league tables to be determined via unweighted points per game (PPG) and Play-Offs to remain in every division to determine the final promotion place. "

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Devonlad, I'm another null and voider like you but surely you're wumming now? It's all there in black and white.

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I see what your saying, but everyone can look back at things over the season (3/4 of a season!) for example, if the ref had not been such an arse away at Plymouth we may have been Champions for the first time ever, instead we look to be runners up, it is what it is and nobody knows for sure how thing would have progressed if COVID-19 didn't take hold, I'm convinced that we would have won the league as i thought we were imperious at home and would have picked more points up on our travels, but on the other hand if they said that as from June the season would be re-started behind closed doors then I would be concerned that the form would have been lost, at least this way teams are rewarded for their efforts for a big chunk of a season, as opposed to staring the same season after a longer break than a normal pre-season.

I think the Stevenage non relegation is down to no play offs in the national league, I think.

we'd have got in that top 7. We may have even finished above them lot down the road - they had a tough run in and had to come to Vale Park

yet we miss out while they get promoted. Missing out a load of games against the top half. A stroke of luck that all their games before the lockdown was against your Macclesfields and your Morecambes"

We wouldn’t have caught you we’d had a slow start with too many draws, had we had the post Xmas form once it gelled from August then we’d have been up there but it’s progress and bodes well for next season with most signed up.

It’s a mess and the inconsistency between the leagues may cause some legal issues they may not with clubs but can’t argue with the top 3 going up if not void, my issue is the play offs but whoever wins them and does go up has not won a promotion and it’s disappointing for the clubs involved that they’d not get to experience it with fans etc so by avoiding that for us I’d rather do it next year when hopefully this is all over and do it correctly so I won’t be too disheartened by whatever happens, the only outcome I wanted was to finish it on the field and if not who goes up/down doesn’t really matter.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Colchester's twitter says a vote will occur on Monday that needs the ratification of at least 13 out of 24 Championship clubs and 24 out of 47 L1 and L2 clubs which will preserve promotion, playoffs and relegation BUT ALSO potentially allow Stevenage a reprieve from relegation to non league. This will now be for UNWEIGHTED PPG as opposed to weighted PPG.

Given the Championship want to complete the season, I think the majority will vote in favour anyway, and given most League Two clubs want the season to end, I think DMAC and the boys haven't a leg to stand on in their rebellious cause.

Interestingly, I think Peterborough will be absolutely shafted by unweighted PPG so I can't wait to see his meltdown next week when this passes. I can't see it not passing now it's no longer 75% but a straight majority.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I think it’s an ok conclusion. I’m happy that there are play offs to determine the fourth promotion spot and therefore Tranmere’s relegation seems a little fairer (though I’d be jumping about if I were in there shoes).

Stevenage not being relegated is a bit iffy though and I think that’s only happening because Harrogate are second rather than Notts County.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Stevenage maybe feel they are owed one for the mid 90s when they were denied entry over their ground I think.

They’ll no doubt haunt us all for years to come.

There’s no winners in this anyway apart from maybe Boro...

Team going up in an administrative promotion miss out of the promotion experience for both players and fans or the right to really have earnt it.

Play offs are the pinnacle of most fans and players and playing behind closed doors on sky won’t be the same

Teams just outside will wonder what could of been.

It’s a really sad situation through out really. The best teams deserved to celebrate and experience it whoever that would of been come May.

Attila the hun

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham
So if league one decides the same as league two and no one is to be relegated what happens to the promoted teams non of which had actually gained promotion it’s a joke the season should be null and void

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
I can't believe people think this solution is going to actually happen. Other than this not being in the charter and easily overturned by the courts - Do people seriously think there is going to be inconsistencies throughout the leagues? No relegation in our league but relegation in league 1? Not a chance. Which means more teams in each league and that's not compatible with the PL.

Void the sodding lot. Looks like it will be the way once all this bickering is over.

darren gregory

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
My only argument is that it doesn't take into account remaining fixtures.

The PPG is flawed, but what system isn't .

All irrelevant but say that the Premier League used it

Villa have played Liverpool, City and Chelsea twice for example.

Bournemouth still have all 3 to play.
But based on current games played Villa would go down.
All hypothetical and pointless really but just an example of how flawed it is

Do I have an alternative, nope .
It is what it is but I think I'm more peed off if Stevenage get a reprieve that would be totally undeserved

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
It's not definite if Stevenage will be reprieved yet. Too many conflicting and confusing outlets reporting things.

Clubs have asked to suspend relegation for one season, but the EFL Board made no commitments regarding this.

They could still go down...

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
My only argument is that it doesn't take into account remaining fixtures.

The PPG is flawed, but what system isn't .

All irrelevant but say that the Premier League used it

Villa have played Liverpool, City and Chelsea twice for example.

Bournemouth still have all 3 to play.
But based on current games played Villa would go down.
All hypothetical and pointless really but just an example of how flawed it is

Do I have an alternative, nope .
It is what it is but I think I'm more peed off if Stevenage get a reprieve that would be totally undeserved

Every system is flawed and you cannot guess future games and use maths to work out football. If you could it would be boring and not the most popular sport in the world. No position was confirmed in any of the top 4 flights so it all needs voiding as it is incomplete and current standings are based on different teams playing different teams. Imagine stopping a marathon with a 25% still to go, it simply wouldn't happen, it would be voided and re-run. The fairest way would be to at least base it on first game results when everyone played everyone once, but given home/away adv it also isn't perfect, which is why it needs voiding and why it ultimately will be voided.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Looks like Vale actually voted in favour of doing this from what Mike Baggaley of The Sentinel is saying. Got to say that is a very selfless act, fair play to Carol.

Shame we won’t get to see how it could have played out but ultimately I think it’s the right thing to do. Whatever decision was taken somebody would be hard done to.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Oddly we may have actually voted to end the season in the end reading between the lines.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
In fairness they've held talks for weeks, Exeter and yourselves understandably would've been clubs who wanted to carry on and they've realised not all clubs could afford the £350-500K it'd cost to complete the season in the current circumstances (figure quoted by a BBC journo this morning).

I'm not sure Vale, even with the City money, would've liked to pay that to complete the season either, preferring instead to invest it into retaining as many key players as possible.

But I'll give credit to them and all owners in our division for reaching a consensus without the painful egomania pursued by Darragh MacAnthony and Andy Pilley in the division above. Two men who don't give a toss about community clubs and would rather run them into the ground than reach a consensus just because they have cash to burn. After years of shite owners, you lot have a good pair at the helm now, and I'd back you to prosper in what I perceive to be a weaker division next year.

Vale on Trent

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Personally I don’t think there should be any play-offs, top 4 should just be promoted. To miss out on the play-off by 0.4 points is also disappointing, but that is from a bias point of view. PPG is probably the fairest way but as said before it doesn’t take into account upcoming fixtures. For example, when the season was stopped our next two games were both at home and both winnable, whilst we have only lost one home game all season.

However, whilst feeling disappointed if we do just miss out, the play-offs surely won’t be the same. It would feel strange if we went up via the play-offs and not being able to watch any of the games from the stands and missing a Wembley day out.

It is what it is, there will be winners and losers. This scenario is probably a once in a life time occurrence so we move on and hopefully we are in a position to challenge again next season.

darren gregory

Reaction score
Supports
port vale

Applies to you too mate , one of your melts called Andy crying that you should be awarded the title as Swindon game in hand is Cheltenham away which I'm sure is incorrect anyway ( Praise and grumble )
I actually thought he was going to burst out crying.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Just listened to an interview with Stevenages Chairman Phil Wallace, he says he was more than happy to try and finish the season on the pitch - They were 3 points behind Macclesfield and he basically said it would've been the right thing to do.

But again, it comes down to the costs of doing that - With no matchday income.

Playing the remaining games would've meant bringing staff and players out of the Governments Furlough scheme - So they would've had to pay all their players and staff a full salary.

On top of that, he said it would've cost the club £140k to pay for the testing of the players and staff for COVID on a regular basis - Again, something that most clubs down here simply don't have the luxury of doing. The EFL might pay for the playoff teams to be tested regularly, but who knows.

League Two was always going to end in some way with all the remaining games not being played due to cost, personally I think League One will follow the same pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!