Valentine’s Day matches 14/02/23

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Fight back...

Ha, nearly Jonahed it didn’t I? Dale came out with considerably more purpose, but no real quality outside of a lovely goal. Owed more to Orient dropping our levels than Dale greatly improving. Good night for us again…

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
When we stuff someone (very rare I know) I try not to rub it in opposition fans faces as I know how it feels.

But Mansfield fans seem to be loving their dick waving tonight with the laughing emojis and general cock swinging posts.

They can have it though, because we are staying up and that’s all that matters.

loz

Reaction score
Supports
Citeh
Well earned hard fought draw. Bogle finally finding the net for first time in about ten games
Haven't seen any of the game but know Stevenage should have had 4 pens in the first half and Newport should have had 2 red cards. The ref gave Newport everything.

Ellis

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
We made Crawley look very good today, could tell their manager had done his homework on us. We look very vulnerable when teams press high against us.

That said, if Tanto was a bit more clinical could have been out of sight in the first half with two very good chances. Most important thing is that in contrast to earlier in the season we are seeing out games and winning even when not at our best.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I just think they were playing against a really crap team. I wouldn’t be going to overboard on the performance.

Meadow

Not a lad
Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
I make you far too optimistic. If you're out of sorts then it's got a very scrappy and ugly 0-0 written all over it. It's what cold Tuesday evenings in February were made for.
Dunno if it was scrappy and ugly but I'd have predicted the same result. So many clean sheets but we can't score for love nor money.

I initially booked the night off work so I could go then I realised that the train home would be a nightmare. Oh well, iFollow it is. Then my manager realised that he'd fucked up holidays and he needed me to work so it was Flashscores for me. Probably the best option given the result. Still, another clean sheet.

Gunit

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton
Sutton nowhere near their best tonight but kept grinding on and got late rewards. Much better 2nd half and made a game of it. Swindon could have finished us on the break a couple of times but we also were always pushing for an equaliser. Bit of the rub of the green and nice to reverse it late like that, happened the other way a few times this season - particularly Doncaster. Thought Swindon looked top end quality wise - still think they’ll be in the play offs or close.

Reginald Fodstain

Not Scouse
Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
That was painful. We started out ok until Morris went off, but once Bradford scored, we were never coming back from it. After tonight, teams must have learned by now to shoot on sight against us, as our keeper is shall we say not the most proficient at his job (with that second goal being the latest in what's now a long list of howlers in his handful of games in goal). I don't even want to criticise the lad, he's obviously not ready for league two football and has been thrown in way over his head. Anyway, Bradford were boring, which was all they had to be. If they'd have tried, they'd have won five nil, but they were happy to be boring. We wouldn't have scored if we played til Christmas. Again...

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
That was painful. We started out ok until Morris went off, but once Bradford scored, we were never coming back from it. After tonight, teams must have learned by now to shoot on sight against us, as our keeper is shall we say not the most proficient at his job (with that second goal being the latest in what's now a long list of howlers in his handful of games in goal). I don't even want to criticise the lad, he's obviously not ready for league two football and has been thrown in way over his head. Anyway, Bradford were boring, which was all they had to be. If they'd have tried, they'd have won five nil, but they were happy to be boring. We wouldn't have scored if we played til Christmas. Again...
No we are always pretty boring tbf, but I won’t complain if it keeps bringing results. We certainly aren’t great entertainers though.

Reginald Fodstain

Not Scouse
Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
No we are always pretty boring tbf, but I won’t complain if it keeps bringing results. We certainly aren’t great entertainers though.
It was obvious to all what the game plan was in fairness. Not questioning its effectiveness in what's an atrocious league, but the home support seemed equally annoyed with you passing the ball around the back four at 2-0 up against a team who were never going to score against you.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
It was obvious to all what the game plan was in fairness. Not questioning its effectiveness in what's an atrocious league, but the home support seemed equally annoyed with you passing the ball around the back four at 2-0 up against a team who were never going to score against you.
Our home fans are idiots in the main, only interested in 442 kick and rush. They cheer more for a hoof up field which results in a throw than a well placed pass. They had no reason to turn on the team tonight, it’s the first time I’ve heard boos when winning 1-0. You sat back if we’d have gone direct I doubt we’d have scored, unless your keeper chucked one in his net.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Crawley were genuinely one of the best I've seen at our place all season. Their pressing was brilliant. Their high line just gave us too much of an outlet.

We looked half arsed but got away with it.
Good pressing and a high line usually come together. Unlike earlier in the season we actually have a couple of strikers with pace in our squad now so can get balls in behind when we’re being squeezed and can’t pass through the lines.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
At least it may convince some at Carlisle that goalie and defence are not as good as people think……that area needed the focus in January and didn’t get it……that will cost us they cause too many goals.

Although one thing I don’t understand from Simpson is the tactics…..we pressed that automatic place in the last month or so with 4 at the back, then last couple of games go back to 5 and ditch the approach we were doing in January.

The wing backs died when that loanee from forest got a long term injury.

Kendalcufc

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Very impressive from Mansfield last night which was aided by us being unable to cope with what was going on. I don't know if Clough had studied all of our defeats or how we concede goals but he had Mansfield exploit the weaknesses that have been there all season.

When teams play safe football infront of our back line we can handle it all day long, as soon as we're faced with overloading runners from midfield we crumble.

They cut Gibson out of the game which isolated our forwards and made it difficult for our wingbacks to get forward. After that they just swamped Guy and Moxon with runners often ending with them chasing shadows and pulling our centre backs all over the shop. Most attacks saw 4/5/6 Mansfield players in the box.

Played us like a fiddle. Well done.

Certainly too early to panic. Harrogate was a freak, Wimbledon was a decent result and last night was an education against a good team.

Still in a position higher than any of us would've expected at the start of the season. I do feel we're on the edge of going either way. A win on Saturday and all can be forgotten. I would worry that anything less would seriously knock our confidence.

I'd consider giving McCalmont a run in the team. Possibly one game replacing Guy and the next replacing Moxon. Those two have been at it all season and that's taxing both physically and mentally.

Bring on Saturday.

Last edited:

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Harrogate was a freak in the goal that we conceded yes, and Wimbledon was a decent result I can agree on that, but our inability to look even close to scoring a goal in any of the 3 games is massive cause for concern imo. We look absolutely toothless, if we were peppering the oppo keepers or creating chances but just missing targets, that wouldn’t be too concerning, but we’re not. We’ve been absolutely nothing as an attacking threat in any of the games.

I see another nil coming on Saturday, just hope we can do enough to keep Colchester out.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
We lacked everything at Gillingham; two awful teams on the night, with a just as awful ref.
Aye, a tough watch that one wasn't it? We were dire. I think you're being a tad harsh on Gillingham though, who weren't amazing by any stretch but I think you can tell they have quality that's still gelling. Their passing and movement was a level above ours at times. We were so slow and pedestrian. Carlisle fans, I have to hold my hands up and say The Rubbish Glennon has actually been rubbish lately and last night, although he put a quality ball in for our goal, was perhaps his worst performance in a Town shirt. Poor defensively and no confidence/athleticism to beat a man. Danny Amos surely comes back in on Saturday, as does Emmanuel for Efete who wasn't as crap as Glennon but again, a refusal to even attempt to beat their left back, instead cutting inside into trouble every time.

A word on the Gills fans who were slated for being quiet by Stags at the weekend, I thought they were great last night. On the ref's back at every single slight decision, encouraged their side when things weren't going well and a decent array of songs. Noise travelled well over to our end and I'd imagine that Priestfield is bouncing when it's full.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
When we stuff someone (very rare I know) I try not to rub it in opposition fans faces as I know how it feels.

But Mansfield fans seem to be loving their dick waving tonight with the laughing emojis and general cock swinging posts.

I can’t recall conker or i doing anything of the sort, whatever are you on about?

I said before the game i fully expected us to lose so as you can imagine last night was rather a shock to the system given our side has been decimated by injuries and our record against the top 7 under clough has been questionable at best.

There’s a big difference to getting a little giddy at a totally unexpected result and being a dick.

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM

Chill out mate.
Mansfield have just gone, with a weakened team, away to a team in the top 6 and won 4-0.
A bit of dick waving is to be expected and fully warranted.
Don’t take it personally

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
Aye, a tough watch that one wasn't it? We were dire. I think you're being a tad harsh on Gillingham though, who weren't amazing by any stretch but I think you can tell they have quality that's still gelling. Their passing and movement was a level above ours at times. We were so slow and pedestrian. Carlisle fans, I have to hold my hands up and say The Rubbish Glennon has actually been rubbish lately and last night, although he put a quality ball in for our goal, was perhaps his worst performance in a Town shirt. Poor defensively and no confidence/athleticism to beat a man. Danny Amos surely comes back in on Saturday, as does Emmanuel for Efete who wasn't as crap as Glennon but again, a refusal to even attempt to beat their left back, instead cutting inside into trouble every time.

A word on the Gills fans who were slated for being quiet by Stags at the weekend, I thought they were great last night. On the ref's back at every single slight decision, encouraged their side when things weren't going well and a decent array of songs. Noise travelled well over to our end and I'd imagine that Priestfield is bouncing when it's full.
Cheers my fishy friend.
Just as a side, when we found out that your mascot had been banned from attending the Southampton cup game, our club got on the phone and invited him down last night.
He paraded around the pitch and even went in the Rainham End for a bit.
Premier League? Shove it up your arse!

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Thought we played quite well in the 2nd half last night, put together some good moves and only some decent goalkeeping stopped us scoring a couple more. I love Nichols ability to find space in a crowded area, it's something you just can't teach a player and it's going to get him a lot of goals I hope.

I was a bit concerned when we made the double change after scoring the first, it seemed too early to bring off Lapslie as he was playing well and causing problems - I probably would've preferred to stick with the same 11 that had started the 2nd half so well and try to get the 2nd goal to kill the game earlier. That said, who doesn't love a late winner?

First half was a write off, not a lot happened other than the Grimsby full back trying to get himself sent off, presumably just through boredom.

Kendalcufc

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I couldn't have imagined saying it at the start of the season but I'd suggest that we're missing Charters. His left foot brings balance to the team and his tenacity keeps everything in midfield tighter. His inclusion also gives Moxon extra freedom.

To my eyes Gibson flatters to deceive. He should be the link between forwards, midfield and the wingbacks, it just doesn't happen enough. Maybe too big of a job for him. Having three solid options in the middle with Guy, Moxon and Charters helps us keep possession better and makes the linking easier.

It also sounds absurd but our forward options are causing problems. Simpson hasn't got to grips with how to use the four and it's going to get more complicated when Edmondson is fit.

Maybe a change in formation to 433 could be the answer, though we couldn't get away playing Gibson in that system and Mellish is best in a back three.

Armer is another that's been at it a long time and Robinson possibly could be given a go with McCalmont in midfield. Whelan potential needs utilising as well. I'd be cautious about making too many changes at once but we can rotate a few of those loan options in and out.

A freshen up before the last 10 game charge.

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Sutton nowhere near their best tonight but kept grinding on and got late rewards. Much better 2nd half and made a game of it. Swindon could have finished us on the break a couple of times but we also were always pushing for an equaliser. Bit of the rub of the green and nice to reverse it late like that, happened the other way a few times this season - particularly Doncaster. Thought Swindon looked top end quality wise - still think they’ll be in the play offs or close.
Loved your optimism re STFC but the playoffs look along way away. Having said that it is such a poor league that 3 or 4 consecutive wins will have us straight back into the mix again. We are struggling big time with injuries etc. Once (when?) we are back to full strength then we could still make a concerted effort however to do that we somehow need to get a big strong free agent centre half from somewhere. Clayton is not the answer.

Although your side are "long ball" I thought they were pretty effective at what they do

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Should have buried a couple of our chances against Wimbledon but didn’t, and it made for a long frustrating evening as we then struggled to break them down.

Couple more off injured, think that’s 8 or 9 out currently and we’re quite stretched. Wimbledon got what they came for so fair play to them.

Brady getting a bit short with the fans post match, few boos at full time but it’s been pretty average fare recently.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Thoroughly deserved drubbing. When I say we’re toothless it doesn’t do us justice. 3 game with no goals but not even looking remotely close to scoring in any of them. Such a glaring lack of quality in our squad. Good enough to be comfortable which is an improvement on last season, but talk of promotion should end now:

Forget about top 7. We’re not good enough. This is why I haven’t set foot in the promotion thread even when we were getting results.

We're still 3rd and we're apparently a club with a bottom six budget, so that says something about this league.
Now ok we had a terrible off night last night but that's just football these things happen and you have every right to be critical, I am too because no way should we ever get turned over by whoever it was we were playing, but don't go overboard saying that top 7 isn't achievable after one shit defeat.

Don't forget that we've got the best manager in the league, the top goal scorer and the equal top assister in the league too.
So just calm down and know that there's still more matches to be played.

Gills4years

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
A relief to get the win last night. Not a great performance, particularly in the first half, but results are what matter, more than ever.

Really pleased for Hawkins too. He gets isolated up front but usually puts himself about and seems to boss most defenders. Ironically, last night he was losing more headers than usual but, for once, one of our full backs delivered a great cross and he got on the end of it.

The Grimsby full back did seem to launch himself at McKenzie, which I thought normally means not being in control and should mean a red card. A bit of a grey area so maybe yellow was adequate but apparently he kicked the ball away a few minutes later so he was lucky not to get two yellows.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Our poor performance has meant the refs performance went under the radar but it was utterly bizarre.

When it went 1-0 Gills slowed the game right down which he was all for, went 1-1 and he rushed our players at every chance, 2-1 up he did absolutely nothing about time wasting again. Ruined any flow of the game by giving any contact as a foul and topped it off by allowing the ball to be in play for around 30 seconds of the 5 mins added on. Woeful.

Crap from us though and if we don’t capitalise on our games in hand we’re in trouble. Which makes our owners gloating on twitter at fans who criticised our window after Crewe even more bizarre.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
We're still 3rd and we're apparently a club with a bottom six budget, so that says something about this league.
Now ok we had a terrible off night last night but that's just football these things happen and you have every right to be critical, I am too because no way should we ever get turned over by whoever it was we were playing, but don't go overboard saying that top 7 isn't achievable after one shit defeat.

Don't forget that we've got the best manager in the league, the top goal scorer and the equal top assister in the league too.
So just calm down and know that there's still more matches to be played.
Don’t forget a championship level defender who knows where the goal is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
4K UK IPTV