12 August fixtures

AmberRich

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
For anyone who has seen Reading this season? Are they just having a tough start or are they also a basket case on the pitch too?

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
For anyone who has seen Reading this season? Are they just having a tough start or are they also a basket case on the pitch too?

Look nice and tidy but it’s all slow build and relatively dare I say harmless. Once we put it on them physically a bit they didn’t look quite so happy. I think they’re the kind of team if they get their noses in front it’ll be frustrating getting the ball off them though.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well that was nearly a smash and grab by Barnsley today, hardly attacked us so its surprising it came after a 7-0 win last weekend.
We had plenty of gilt-edged chances missed by players who should finish them (Collins, Marquis and Sinclair). If Jevani Brown had been in that team we'd have won that.
Antony Evans was back to the form we saw in L2, and Luke Thomas was outstanding as well as the on-loan CB Crama who looks very solid alongside Taylor.
Collins is right off the boil this year - we'd be lucky to get 200k for him let alone 2M
Disappointing not to win but pleased with the performance. Keep playing like that and wins will come

Last edited:

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Thought we matched Portsmouth for the first half, key moment being when Poole made a very good block from George Moncur to deny us an equaliser. As expected we had some good possession but don't really look like doing anything with it.

Portsmouth were clinical and ran out worthy winners in the second half, they looked to kill the game early which they did. After the third we gave up.

Injuries not helping us either. Thompson, Agyei, Drinnan & Pratley out, Tom James pulled out in the warm up and losing our keeper Sol Brynn in particular was probably a big reason why the scoreline was 4-0 as our back Sam Howes I thought didn't cover himself in glory for the first 2 goals.

Dealt a tough hand for our start, have to stick with it and hope our luck changes soon, we did have alot of it last season.

We do need a striker with pace though.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Thought we matched Portsmouth for the first half, key moment being when Poole made a very good block from George Moncur to deny us an equaliser. As expected we had some good possession but don't really look like doing anything with it.

Portsmouth were clinical and ran out worthy winners in the second half, they looked to kill the game early which they did. After the third we gave up.

Injuries not helping us either. Thompson, Agyei, Drinnan & Pratley out, Tom James pulled out in the warm up and losing our keeper Sol Brynn in particular was probably a big reason why the scoreline was 4-0 as our back Sam Howes I thought didn't cover himself in glory for the first 2 goals.

Dealt a tough hand for our start, have to stick with it and hope our luck changes soon, we did have alot of it last season.

We do need a striker with pace though.
Wasn't much in it early doors, but we took our chances and Beckles gave us an o.g. Surprisingly comfortable second half. Obviously, the O's need their missing players back quickly to be competitive.

Very encouraging signs for us. We have genuine competition in every position and don't look like injuries will derail us like in previous seasons. Really impressed with the summer business done by Mousinho and sporting director Rich Hughes.

Exeter next up on Tuesday at Fratton. Feels like we could be on a roll

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Don’t think Barnsley could complain if we won that 5-1 tbh, after the first 10/15 we battered them but our finishing was atrocious.

Encouraging stuff though, 2 points against Pompey and Barnsley. Very nearly 6 and last season would have been 0. We’re definitely moving in the right direction

YEO YEO YEO

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I know its only early doors, but i fear for Wycombe. First half very evenly matched, not many chances at all. Wycombe should have gone 1-0 up after 2 mins. No idea how they missed that chance. We had a penalty shout waved away later in the half.

2nd half we were much better, mich more expansive and the subs really made us so much stronger. Ended 3 nil but could have been more. Only sour note was Sorensen hobbling off.

It's nicely wiped out thay negative GD already, with Northampton and Shrewsbury away to come.

Wycombe didnt look like a team, no real passages of play, will be interesting to see how they do.

Also only 300 away fans, was expecting a few more with 1st away game.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
I know its only early doors, but i fear for Wycombe. First half very evenly matched, not many chances at all. Wycombe should have gone 1-0 up after 2 mins. No idea how they missed that chance. We had a penalty shout waved away later in the half.

Wycombe didnt look like a team, no real passages of play, will be interesting to see how they do.

I think the “didn’t look like a team” comment is fair, the general consensus on our messageboard is that we look considerably less than the sum of our parts at present.

The advantage of 5-3-2 is supposed to be defensive solidity, but if you’re shipping 3 goals a game then that can’t be right.

I would say we need more bodies in midfield that can push up and provide service to the forwards, we look toothless in attack at present.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Sol Brynn now out long term for us, looks like we need another goalkeeper too :surr:

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
Cambridge won't have an easier match all season and we're comfortable and deserved winners. Fleetwood were absolutely shocking, shoddy in defense, toothless in attack. Scott Brown was man enough to say ' I take full responsibility for that ' ....and the players as well. Bolton and Derby away next week, could well be bottom in another 7 days. Still when we eventually win it will taste as sweet as ever !!

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
We had a strong opening 10 minutes, went 1-0 up and should‘ve been 2-0 up moments later. We then capitulated in the first half and had it been a better side then we would’ve been in deep shit. The mind-boggling moments defensively returned with Forsyth looking to loop a header into his own goal and a couple of moments of madness from Bradley.

I wanted to see some changes at half-time, but we came out as we ended and with the very first kick looked like it was going to be very much of the same. However, something then clicked and the team finally looked competent. Bird was excellent, apart from missing an open goal from 2 yards out, but we should’ve had 3-4 more than we scored which is something we’re going to have to work on but it was good to see us create genuinely good opportunities and manage a game. Away from and second half of games plagued us last season so it was good to see the vast improvement in that case. The defence stopped making errors too and Nelson, Bradley and Cashin all looked far more assured. In the end it was a performance that will no doubt give us some confidence and give us something to build on.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Look nice and tidy but it’s all slow build and relatively dare I say harmless. Once we put it on them physically a bit they didn’t look quite so happy. I think they’re the kind of team if they get their noses in front it’ll be frustrating getting the ball off them though.
Billy big bollocks fans and commentators I see! Actually said “we’re getting dragged down to league one level” and the most ironic statement of a Reading fan calling Vale a nothing club.

Think they are going to have to get used to getting beaten by these unknown little clubs like Port Vale, Bristol Rovers and Exeter again now!

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
Billy big bollocks fans and commentators I see! Actually said “we’re getting dragged down to league one level” and the most ironic statement of a Reading fan calling Vale a nothing club.

Think they are going to have to get used to getting beaten by these unknown little clubs like Port Vale, Bristol Rovers and Exeter again now!
You could have included us in the unknowns, although winning might not be that easy......

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports

Yeah today is maybe their “welcome to L1” moment but there’s plenty more times it’ll bite them on the arse and probably more emphatically. As I say they’re a tidy possession based team but when it comes to winning the physical battle they don’t look well equipped.

As for the nothing club remark they of all clubs would know at least. Forget they exist most the time.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Bolton were good today, take nothing away from them, but we made it oh so easy for them. The way we crumbled after the first goal was embarrassing. 3-0 flattered us in the end.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Bolton were good today, take nothing away from them, but we made it oh so easy for them. The way we crumbled after the first goal was embarrassing. 3-0 flattered us in the end.
Jesus you have gone backwards ..............No shape, your players were fucked before half time
Hard season ahead

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Injuries are fucking us over, especially in midfield. They didn't look like they'd ever met before.

It's a tough start to the season, we had it last year. The last few weeks of the window will be crucial.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
No we was ok............training ground match, Santos fell asleep on the ball he had that much time....We was awful second half

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
Apparently Blackpool fans were quality today. Not often you can hear away fans at SJP but they travelled in numbers and made a good noise. :bravo:

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Fantastic second half. We absolutely battered Reading into submission. Last week was just one of those freak results. We've got some seriously good players but we just need to not give too much respect to the opposition.

Bolton continue to march on ....I have them as my league winners. And Cambridge fantastic again. I thought they would thstruggle but what a manager they have.

Shrewsbury as thought got a little bit ahead of themselves beating a poor Cheltenham team last week..looks like they were comfortably beaten today.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
We are just lucky to be here because if we were still in the league below this season then we would be looking at going out of the football league, but instead we are just looking at going out of L1..

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Fantastic second half. We absolutely battered Reading into submission. Last week was just one of those freak results. We've got some seriously good players but we just need to not give too much respect to the opposition.

Bolton continue to march on ....I have them as my league winners. And Cambridge fantastic again. I thought they would thstruggle but what a manager they have.

Shrewsbury as thought got a little bit ahead of themselves beating a poor Cheltenham team last week..looks like they were comfortably beaten today.
Can’t predict what’s going to happen after two games into the season. Let’s face it, Cambridge won’t finish 2nd and Wycombe won’t finish 23rd for example.

As for Shrewsbury fans getting ahead of themselves, who did? I certainly didn’t. I just appreciate the wins as it doesn’t happen most weekends as I don’t support a City or an Arsenal.

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
We were very good today, I thought against a decent Blackpool team. Hamilton and Lavery always dangerous. Both teams could have won it but I’d say we had the majority of the attacking play in the second half, that said Blackpool almost nicked it at the end but Sinisalo pulled off a great one on one save.

Have to say, some of Blackpool’s last ditch defending was superb and they made it very hard for us to get a clear sight on goal. I can see them winning a lot by the odd goal this season.

I was impressed with all of our new players, but both Tom Carroll and Ryan Trevitt were superb in the midfield. Rarely did we get overrun which is hugely encouraging for the season.

Nombe needs a goal, but he’s quite isolated at times. We looked much more threatening when James Scott supported him.

Overall, a very good start and two clean sheets. Decent crowd today and a good atmosphere. Oh and the ref was shocking - surprise!

nelsonpfc

Reaction score
Supports
Pompey
Think we were good without really being at full tilt. Orient play some good football, but we kept them at arms length at most. A few long shots and one fantastic block from Poole. Can't give Bishop the freedom of the box for our 2nd. So good we can change 4 or 5 players and still look very strong. Check out Robertsons piece of skill. Also beckles had a mare..

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

It’s a great bounce back after losing 7-0 to win 2 on the spin. Looks like Arblaster is going to be a very very good loan for us but the worry with that is January.

Spends Thursday saying bye to his Grandad, loses him last night and still gets out on that pitch and puts in a man of the match performance at that age, great character.

Positives are the new signings now we are getting to see them, Chislett a brace midweek, Ripley a cult hero already with two worldies late on Tuesday and saves a penalty from an ex England striker today and Arblaster and Thomas look miles better than any loanee we had last season already.

World feels a better place after the humiliation last week but the key thing today was a clean sheet as well. Looks like Smudge got right under Carroll’s skin as well…

Chuffed for Crosby after the worst possible start and considering i expected to go into MD5 on 0 points and a huge pressure game at home to Carlisle the win today has eased that.

Huge task Tuesday at Blackpool but can go there full of confidence and see if we can nick something.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Andy Carroll has had better days starting with that penalty miss and now making the news for other reasons.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Smith absolutely owned Carroll today. He was visibly frustrated as Smith played him like a fiddle. Our keeper is the best in the league in my opinion.

Last week was just one of those days I think. Everything went right for Barnsley and everything went wrong for us....a once in a generation aberration. We have some very good players, who made some of Reading's players look very silly .

What makes me laugh is that Reading fans on their forum saying that they have lost to a nothing team. Reading! They're the beigest team in the league....nobody cares about them! They haven't got any fans on here either, which says everything about them.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
A more than deserved win in the end. Aside from a chance after three minutes or so from a defensive mix-up, we kept Wycombe at arms length fairly well IMO. The main worry was from some sort of ricochet after challenging Vokes for headers, especially with the first half wind in their favour. I thought that despite trying to play more football than previous years, it didn't really get them anywhere and they ended up looking for Vokes anyway so it felt like they were stuck between two ways of playing.

Second half felt like we were very comfortable but around the hour mark, perhaps even just before the triple substitution, it felt like we were just getting on top a bit more and wrestled the game away from them and they ran out of gas and folded. If that final half an hour is how we could end up playing this season once everyone has gelled, then we're going to have some exciting games.

Today didn't tell us anything we didn't already know - we need another CB, a ball playing one. We need another option out wide, we have options from the bench this season and it looks like we've finally solved the central midfield puzzle that we've ignored for so long.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
I thought that despite trying to play more football than previous years, it didn't really get them anywhere and they ended up looking for Vokes anyway so it felt like they were stuck between two ways of playing.

Yes, I think that’s fair.

I’d been somewhat resigned to this being a season of transition, which you can’t really avoid with a) a rookie manager, b) a significant shift in playing style and c) half a new team.

Still early days, but we have to buck our ideas up sharpish, as conceding three goals a game is just suicide, especially when we look weak in attack and unlikely to score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
4K UK IPTV