England v Belgium, 28th June, 7pm(GMT)

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Oh with all respect shut up. They were crap in the second half against Tunisia and Panama is Panama - semi pro teams can't defend set pieces. You must have extremely low expectations.

Yes I do.

It’s weird this bitterness from the Scots particularly and some of the Welsh. Have high expectations = get slaughtered, have low expectations = get laughed at. Strange island we live on.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
Yes I do.

It’s weird this bitterness from the Scots particularly and some of the Welsh. Have high expectations = get slaughtered, have low expectations = get laughed at. Strange island we live on.
No you're just not being true to the reality. This perception that England have been playing good football is a lie - they've been standard and lived off set pieces. Just have realistic expectations that's all - England should always comfortably beat the likes of Tunisia & Panama and likewise given their players they will be exposed when they play a good team under knockout conditions. If England had an even half decent manager I'd say maybe they could grind wins but you have a guy with no plan b or any real clue. Southgate will be pathetic when you're in need of a tactical tweak you mark my words. He'll just go blindly along with whatever Steve Holland says because he's a shithouse.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
No you're just not being true to the reality. This perception that England have been playing good football is a lie - they've been standard and lived off set pieces. Just have realistic expectations that's all - England should always comfortably beat the likes of Tunisia & Panama and likewise given their players they will be exposed when they play a good team under knockout conditions. If England had an even half decent manager I'd say maybe they could grind wins but you have a guy with no plan b or any real clue. Southgate will be pathetic when you're in need of a tactical tweak you mark my words. He'll just go blindly along with whatever Steve Hollandsays because he's a shithouse.

It’s Netherlands!!!!

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
The Tunisia game is one we probably would have slipped up in under Woy but Panama are a load of bollocks. Don't think anyone can deny we haven't faced a proper test yet.

Always nice to qualify with a game spare though and with Kane I think we can nick a goal against anyone.

St. Juste

Reaction score
Supports
St. Mirren
You're absolutely shitting it and you're now trying to cover your arse just in case England actually do well. This is glorious to watch.

Not really, I had expected England to draw against Tunisia (they were minutes away from doing so) and then to beat Panama so pretty much to expectation so far.

What was without their control is that their side of the draw has potentially just got a lot easier.

I still think Colombia would beat then, but don't think Senegal or Japan are great shakes.

A lot of people seem to think England have done great things this tournament so far, I'm not sure they have. But we shall see.

Yes I do.

Not really, England have went from losing to Iceland in the last Euros and sacking their manager after one game in 2016. The talk then was of being a laughing stock, of being humbled and coming to this tournament looking to build.

That changed after beating Panama (and Germany going out) and now football is supposedly 'going home'.

I'm not surprised, I don't think anyone is, the fans have really bought into the hype hook, line and sinker.

Just like they do at every tournament.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
No you're just not being true to the reality. This perception that England have been playing good football is a lie - they've been standard and lived off set pieces. Just have realistic expectations that's all - England should always comfortably beat the likes of Tunisia & Panama and likewise given their players they will be exposed when they play a good team under knockout conditions. If England had an even half decent manager I'd say maybe they could grind wins but you have a guy with no plan b or any real clue. Southgate will be pathetic when you're in need of a tactical tweak you mark my words. He'll just go blindly along with whatever Steve Holland says because he's a shithouse.

We should beat Panama and Tunisia yes but how many times have we failed to beat teams like that in major tournaments? Progress for me. Being good at set pieces? Great, progress again. Do you remember when Harry Kane was taking corners? I beg to differ, I think we have played some nice football, particularly in first halves, a brand we haven’t seen for a long time. That’s what I mean that the manner of performances has exceeded my expectations because England haven’t played positive football for years so I’m happy with how it’s going.

We may well get exposed against better sides, I’m not arguing against that and we’ll see what Southgate and the players are made of then. But he’s got the team set up quite well so far so we’ll see.

Reactions: SF_

St. Juste

Reaction score
Supports
St. Mirren
Is scoring a lot of goals from set pieces considered 'positive football'?

I'd be shocked if it continues to remain a factor. Has any side won anything continually relying on set piece goals? You tend to get figured out after a while, especially against semi competent opposition.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Is scoring a lot of goals from set pieces considered 'positive football'?

I'd be shocked if it continues to remain a factor. Has any side won anything continually relying on set piece goals? You tend to get figured out after a while, especially against semi competent opposition.

I can confirm that in football, scoring a lot of goals is indeed considered positive.

markwwfc1992

Reaction score
Supports
Wolves / Detroit Lions
Abertawe how shit are Wales if they drew 1-1 with Panama, a country we declared with 6 on shortly after HT?

As for the jocks, when was the last time they qualified for a major tournament? Such a small mind mentality from our neighbours. Must be depressing always having to live in our shadow.

AFCB_Mark

Reaction score
Supports
A single unitary authority for urban Dorset
Set piece goals have been a common factor in this World Cup as a whole so far, far wider than England.

Not sure why that is, far cleverer analytical people than me might have a theory on that. Fact is there's been a lot of them. Even Brazil are scoring from headed set pieces.

Possible factors may include a general trend in football at present for physical defenders being less important compared with their technical ability, and full backs more attacking than they used to be across the board. But I don't know.

I seem to remember Greece winning the Euros with mostly set piece goals. But I wouldn't say that's the norm. I would expect the potency of set pieces to lessen as the tournament goes on, a) because the bar of ability obviously increases, and b) because everyone is watching the games and will learn. But it's good to have in the locker for sure.

Belgium I imagine will require us to score a counter attacking goal, in quite different style to applying constant pressure to an opposition and earning set pieces from it. I'm looking forward to seeing us tested against a good side, and seeing how we cope with a different style of game, in the safety of having 6 points already.

Jockney

Reaction score
Supports
Fred Onyedinma
Certainly will be interesting to see how we set up in a meaningful game against a decent attacking side. I don’t think tonight will give us much of an indication of what we’re capable of whatever happens, though, coz it’s clear that neither manager places much importance on winning the group.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
That changed after beating Panama (and Germany going out) and now football is supposedly 'going home'.

Like I've already said, for someone who has a lot of content in their bitter ramblings, you really are a bit shit at this.

Where has anyone said, in a serious fashion that wasn't taking the piss out of people like yourself, that "football is going home"?

What a truly fucking sad life you must lead to spend so much time bitching about an England team and its fans that are simply enjoying the moment. Abertawe is on a windup, I actually find his posts funny. But you actually mean the shit you come out with.

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
Abertawe how shit are Wales if they drew 1-1 with Panama, a country we declared with 6 on shortly after HT?

As for the jocks, when was the last time they qualified for a major tournament? Such a small mind mentality from our neighbours. Must be depressing always having to live in our shadow.
Very shit. Fortunately when it came to a tournament we didn't pretend we're anything were not and did quite well - I thought England were on the right tracks with Sam but now you've got some spanner giving his best pep/klopp hybrid impression which will scupper you.

Belgium do look typical Martinez defending set pieces though so maybe that's something you'll expose.

markwwfc1992

Reaction score
Supports
Wolves / Detroit Lions
Very shit. Fortunately when it came to a tournament we didn't pretend we're anything were not and did quite well - I thought England were on the right tracks with Sam but now you've got some spanner giving his best pep/klopp hybrid impression which will scupper you.

Belgium do look typical Martinez defending set pieces though so maybe that's something you'll expose.

I don't think anyone in the England camp is getting carried away. You can only beat what's infront of you and we've done that. I would have be happy with the quarter finals before a ball was kicked and still will be happy with that now. It's a more likeable side than we have previously sent to international tournaments, and it helps that there is no real pressure.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
People act like set pieces aren't proper goals.

Two examples spring to mind.

France - 3 goals - 1 penalty, 1 own goal, 1 tap in after a deflected shot.
Portugal - 5 goals - 1 penalty, 1 direct freekick, 1 keeping error, 1 long-range effort, 1 goal from a corner.

I don't see anyone shitting on those two teams.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
People act like set pieces aren't proper goals.

Two examples spring to mind.

France - 3 goals - 1 penalty, 1 own goal, 1 tap in after a deflected shot.
Portugal - 5 goals - 1 penalty, 1 direct freekick, 1 keeping error, 1 long-range effort, 1 goal from a corner.

I don't see anyone shitting on those two teams.

Don’t worry it’s just St Juste being a wee spanner

Bilo

Reaction score
Supports
Women writing about women
The loser is the winner here, the top half of the tree (where the winner goes) is looking a lot tougher than the bottom half. In the top half, currently, you find Uruguay, Portugal, France, Argentina, Brazil and Mexico.

The bottom half however, is currently Spain (whom you'd meet in the semis if they get there), Russia, Croatia, Denmark, Sweden and Switzerland. Only one team with pedigree there, namely us. The #Swedes.

So yeah I'm expecting 3-2 to Belgium all own goals.

T.A

Reaction score
Supports
Berry
Martinez said he’s not bothered about the result and it’s a celebration game. Great reason to cover the fact his teams are always defensively inept.

Bilo

Reaction score
Supports
Women writing about women
I pray you lot lose this ending up on our half of the tree tbh. If we make it past Switzerland (should be even odds) I'd back us vs England in the quarters (you're already there, right?). Plus it would be a fucking blast wouldn't it.

Jockney

Reaction score
Supports
Fred Onyedinma
Like I've already said, for someone who has a lot of content in their bitter ramblings, you really are a bit shit at this.

Where has anyone said, in a serious fashion that wasn't taking the piss out of people like yourself, that "football is going home"?

What a truly fucking sad life you must lead to spend so much time bitching about an England team and its fans that are simply enjoying the moment. Abertawe is on a windup, I actually find his posts funny. But you actually mean the shit you come out with.
He’s clearly on a wind up also for fucks sake. Well done on giving him life for over a decade

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
All I want is to avoid Colombia in the last of 16. Pretty sure they'd knock us out.

After that, who cares? Get to the 1/4 finals and i'll be bloody over the moon.

markwwfc1992

Reaction score
Supports
Wolves / Detroit Lions
I pray you lot lose this ending up on our half of the tree tbh. If we make it past Switzerland (should be even odds) I'd back us vs England in the quarters (you're already there, right?). Plus it would be a fucking blast wouldn't it.

At least you wouldn't have Zlatan this time around.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Don't worry we've got these beat where it really matters, on populations. The population consensus of 2011 is coming home.

AFCB_Mark

Reaction score
Supports
A single unitary authority for urban Dorset
All I want is to avoid Colombia in the last of 16. Pretty sure they'd knock us out.

After that, who cares? Get to the 1/4 finals and i'll be bloody over the moon.

I'm kinda of the same mind. Colombia would be favourites to beat us I feel, I'd certainly worry more about that, than Senegal / Japan. We'll see how that group plays out this afternoon.

Right now I just can't get on-board with this 'want to finish 2nd' debate, without knowing how that group H goes. Just because the latter stages might look kinder on paper? Ridiculous. Can't look further ahead than Round Two.

I want to top the group because that means we've gained a positive result tonight. Ideally avoiding Colombia but if it comes to them so be it. I'd love to win a knockout game as it would be great for this young group to achieve that at it's first attempt.

Beyond that, I've said enough times how a quarter final place is a success for this group. Whoever we might get there or beyond - whatever.

If you believe The Telegraph we are making sweeping changes for this, which disappoints me although I can understand the reasons. Hodgson did this in '16 from memory against Slovakia, and I think it contributed to our problems in the next game. Yeah you want to keep a few squad players involved and happy and rest a few first choice legs, but that piece is talking about 7-8 changes. Not what I'd have done, but it's Southgate earning the bucks!

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'm kinda of the same mind. Colombia would be favourites to beat us I feel, I'd certainly worry more about that, than Senegal / Japan. We'll see how that group plays out this afternoon.

Right now I just can't get on-board with this 'want to finish 2nd' debate, without knowing how that group H goes. Just because the latter stages might look kinder on paper? Ridiculous. Can't look further ahead than Round Two.

I want to top the group because that means we've gained a positive result tonight. Ideally avoiding Colombia but if it comes to them so be it. I'd love to win a knockout game as it would be great for this young group to achieve that at it's first attempt.

Beyond that, I've said enough times how a quarter final place is a success for this group. Whoever we might get there or beyond - whatever.

If you believe The Telegraph we are making sweeping changes for this, which disappoints me although I can understand the reasons. Hodgson did this in '16 from memory against Slovakia, and I think it contributed to our problems in the next game. Yeah you want to keep a few squad players involved and happy and rest a few first choice legs, but that piece is talking about 7-8 changes. Not what I'd have done, but it's Southgate earning the bucks!
I can see why tbf, this is probably the most equally talented squad from best to worst player we've ever had. Before we always had a clear cut 8/9 players so the reserves were genuine reserves. This time there is actual competition for each position (apart from Kane).

Slovakia was also a very different type of game because they literally came and stuck 11 men behind the ball knowing that 4 points for them would see them through in the 3rd placed teams getting through.

I guess an ideal world would be the following;

Draw tonight
Pick up 2 more yellows to non-important players than Belgium do
Avoid Colombia

If we can do that (easy peasy) we'll finish 2nd, get the good side of the knock outs, not lose momentum, not get slated by press and avoid Colombia.

Just hand us the trophy now

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
He’s clearly on a wind up also for fucks sake. Well done on giving him life for over a decade

For someone who comes across as so intelligent I'm surprised you don't seem able to differentiate between someone posting about certain subjects just to get a reaction (Spear, JohnnyTodd, Abertawe etc.) and someone who is posting a genuine opinion. The fact Hugh's views on international football are long-winded, bitter and stupid at times doesn't automatically make him a WUM.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
Yes I do.

Its no different from club football.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
True, you've knocked out Italy, Germany and could very well stop England from reaching their inevitable destiny...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!