Stickied League 2 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2023/24

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Crewe dropping some big bucks!
A good, solid window from us, added to our weakest positions with players with experience higher up the pyramid.

Looks like we missed out on one last minute, probably Kirk.

Interesting the club haven’t announced Wilson, I wonder if the last minute loss of a target has scuppered that deal.
Yeah Kirk would have been a nice bonus but Eisa, Vernam, Gnahouha and Clifton when needed are decent enough options for those positions. Hopefully you're right on Wilson and it's not a late announcement.

Decent window, plenty I'd have still liked to bring in but we addressed the biggest faults.

AusGill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
No big names in for gills. But we’ve churned over our failing frontline and got in some youth and pace. As well as a bit of Colombian X factor.

Added bonus of getting a couple of the highest wage earners off the budget. Win win.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Unsure about the Kirk deal, all depends what has caused his slump in form for the last couple of years. IF that can be fixed by moving back home with his family, playing at a club he knows so well and loves and playing in a style of play that suits him. Then we've potentially just got a piece of the jigsaw that could see us promotes from this league. But when players return it very rarely works out like that.

Still overall very happy with our window

Sold Connor O'Riordan at 500k it's cut price deal, but hopefully he continues to develop into the player us Crewe fans think he will and with a sell on clause we can still make a good amount of money

Joe White returned to Newcastle, gutted about this one, but the reality was he was probably too good for league 2, just glad he didn't end up at another league 2 club, infact he's now on the bench for Newcastle.

Charlie Colckett left on loan to Notts, looks a good deal for us, out of contract in the summer, will be a decent earner but he's literally contributing nothing to the squad at the moment.

Then we've brought in Leigh and Austerfield on loan to replace Colckett and White, Austerfield looks very decent but we haven't seen much of Leigh yet, still fairly happy with this and with Tabiner returning very soon, it gives us options in midfield

Ed Turns has come in on loan, I think this could be our best bit of business, a centre back that played a big part in Orient going up last season, this also frees up Offord to play in midfield where he has excelled recently.

Charlie Kirk returns, this one could go either way but its surely worth the risk. Gives us another option going forward, we know he's capable of magic and sometimes in a run in that's what you need.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
So just one striker in for Mansfield, we obviously wanted a more traditional #9 like Gregory but it was always going to be difficult to pull something off like that, I like Nichols and think it’s a good addition still.

JJ going out on loan to Wimbledon must suggest Aden Flint injury is not very bad because we already look desperately short at the back.

Neither Mansfield or Gills OS suggest a fee been paid for Nichols either but that may just be the wording agreed but usually they mention a undisclosed fee.

lordofthepies

A shit Martino
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Twitter
@aitchyrobinson
Delighted with Kirk coming home. It might take a while for him to get his fitness and confidence back but we know what he's capable of.

We were in for Ronan Darcy of Crawley as well. Not sure what killed that but maybe we can revisit it in the summer.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
A bit left field that one. Although our defence needs shoring up with Johnson out injured, Biler regularly picking up yellows and reds and Pearce and Brown also getting on a bit.

He’s not played for like a year and a half due to injury, before that he was really good at CB mind but just incredibly injury prone since. We signed him as a free agent on good money due to Donny in L1 wanting him also at the time so that’s the positive for us.

Cloudy

Reaction score
Supports
Borrusia
3 in at Crawley. Don Wilson in loan from Grimsby.
Jeremy Kelly from USA and Mustafa Olungagao (I think) in loan from Huddersfield.

I don't have a scooby about any off them.

Casey
Doesn’t look like Donovan Wilson got done in the end? Neither club has announced it???

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Quiet window for us, Cole Stockton in, Ged Garner and Courtney Duffus out on loan. A definite improvement in forward options on paper.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Don't get the hate with our window, not sure what certain fans from other clubs were expecting us to do? We're at the bottom of lge 2 and addressing weaknesses, signed players with experience at a higher level. Can't win with certain fans on here, if we'd signed unknowns I get it, but we're in a relegation battle not bottling promotion.

Signed:
Curtis Thompson - (CM) 19 Lge 1 appearances this season, experienced and a position replacement for the loss of Conteh
Denver Hume - (LB) Regular for promoted Sunderland signed for 200k by Cowley at Portsmouth then not featured!
Doug Tharme - (CB) Regular for Accrington in Lge 1 last season, not played much at Blackpool this season
Liam Smith - (RB) Loan, played a bit for Cheltenham this season in Lge 1 and going by Twitter their fans don't understand why he has gone.
Harry Wood - (CM) unknown but scored on his debut after 2 mins so can't complain yet!
Justin Obikwu - (ST) Under 21 player on loan, meh we shall see extra body, and the Coventry fans seem to think he is one for the future.

We aren't struggling to score goals we are struggling to keep them out and the four experienced defensive players at a higher level above will hopefully address that.

Left:
Kamil Conteh - (CM) Yeah will be missed but only been here 6 months and we sold him for a profit and a sell on fee which will be activated at some point
Efete - (RB) meh
Waterfall - (CB) Shown that Lge 2 is a step too far for him now.
Khan - (Wing) hardly played this season and not scored
Khouri - (Wing) gone on loan, played two lge games this season

All in all, signed players were we are weak, time will tell if they get us out of trouble, but considering its January and not pre-season, can't complain too much with the type of player we have signed.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Cloudy, I was just going to mention that Donovan Wilson fell through as well.

No idea what happened as I've been partying in Torremolinas.

Casey

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Cloudy, I was just going to mention that Donovan Wilson fell through as well.

No idea what happened as I've been partying in Torremolinas.

Casey

Unless announced today was probably only happening if we signed Kirk, looks like that fell through at last minute as he went to Crewe instead

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Somehow I missed McKirdy signing back for Swindon, that’ll be interesting.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Liam Smith - (RB) Loan, played a bit for Cheltenham this season in Lge 1 and going by Twitter their fans don't understand why he has gone.
It's a strange one. He was only a backup to Longy, but he was very much a competent backup. With him going we now have nothing there. With that being said, he's had a lot of niggles this year and has never seemed to be 100%. The consensus is that he's been allowed to go to free up some wage (like Thompson).

If he stays fit, he's a decent player. It's keeping him fit that's the issue.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
That transfer window hasn’t gone well for mansfield and with others strengthening it certainly weakens our hand.

Playoffs for mansfield i’d imagine.

AusGill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Neither Mansfield or Gills OS suggest a fee been paid for Nichols either but that may just be the wording agreed but usually they mention an undisclosed fee.

BBC reporting it as an undisclosed fee.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I don't know why, but i am getting French Jimmy (Gime Toure) vibes for this Gambian striker

could be interesting though!

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Lindsay will be a great signing foe Wrexham, he's tenacious, enthusiastic and a complete pest to the opposition.

Like most of our players he probably isn't quite championship standard but I would be more than happy if he stayed and signed a new contract because he is more than capable in League 1.

Word up here is he will go because Wrexham will pay him more and he want's to secure his families future, so good luck to him.

He owes us nothing, he has always played second fiddle since Rathbone signed, sometimes unfairly in my view, you'll be getting a very honest player.

so it seems you we were £100k apart in the end. Do you actually think he will re-sign for you in the summer? as it seems strange to miss out on the rumoured £450k now when he will potentially go for nothing in the summer

Just wondering if we will keep our interest in him and do a pre-contract deal

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I don't know why, but i am getting French Jimmy (Gime Toure) vibes for this Gambian striker

could be interesting though!

We've all had one enigmatic, massive foreign striker pass through. In fact, we've had loads - even one Gambian before, the great Njogu Demba-Nyren. Did an elaborate Robin Hood celebration when he scored his only goal, the issue being we were 3-0 down to Dagenham at the time.

Guess the more promising thing with Jatta is that he might be some total random to us, but he isn't to the club. Our owners also part-own Viborg, so they'll know exactly what the is as a player/character and how he's supposed to fit in.

I'm quite excited about the chaos element. We're obviously brilliant going forward and score tons of similar goals from our structured patterns of play, but on the odd occasion we come up against a particularly well-drilled defence or just have an off day, it can look a bit sterile and predictable. Last week against Barrow was crying out for 25 mins of a giant Gambian who didn't know what he was going to do next just to open things up a bit.

Last edited:

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
so it seems you we were £100k apart in the end. Do you actually think he will re-sign for you in the summer? as it seems strange to miss out on the rumoured £450k now when he will potentially go for nothing in the summer

Just wondering if we will keep our interest in him and do a pre-contract deal

No idea why we didn't sell him but I'm glad and just hope we can re-sign him.

Its not clear whether we added a 12 month option on his contract when he signed for 2 years in 2022.

If we have then we can implement that for next season and it also explains why we didn't snatch your hands off.

Reaction score
Supports
Notts
We've all had one enigmatic, massive foreign striker pass through. In fact, we've had loads - even one Gambian before, the great Njogu Demba-Nyren. Did an elaborate Robin Hood celebration when he scored his only goal, the issue being we were 3-0 down to Dagenham at the time.

Guess the more promising thing with Jatta is that he might be some total random to us, but he isn't to the club. Our owners also part-own Viborg, so they'll know exactly what the is as a player/character and how he's supposed to fit in.

I'm quite excited about the chaos element. We're obviously brilliant going forward and score tons of similar goals from our structured patterns of play, but on the odd occasion we come up against a particularly well-drilled defence or just have an off day, it can look a bit sterile and predictable. Last week against Barrow was crying out for 25 mins of a giant Gambian who didn't know what he was going to do next just to open things up a bit.
I think the chaos element was my favourite part of the Quevin Castro Experience, I don't think Jatta will be the same kind of chaos but I agree its something we're lacking this year.

Reading between the lines of the statement on the official site, it sounds like Jatta is the Langstaff replacement, assuming he goes in the summer.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I think the chaos element was my favourite part of the Quevin Castro Experience, I don't think Jatta will be the same kind of chaos but I agree its something we're lacking this year.

Reading between the lines of the statement on the official site, it sounds like Jatta is the Langstaff replacement, assuming he goes in the summer.

King Quev. Dropped to the Conference North now hasn't he? Kind of not surprised, we were just about good enough last season that we could indulge someone who kept falling over their own feet but could score from 35 yards at any moment.

Far-Kinell

Reaction score
Supports
Newport
We had no inns and 1 out.

So I think we are going to use the Grimsby template of using our cup money on summer signings for a promotion push!

Seems to have worked for Grimsby!!

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Don't get the hate with our window, not sure what certain fans from other clubs were expecting us to do? We're at the bottom of lge 2 and addressing weaknesses, signed players with experience at a higher level. Can't win with certain fans on here, if we'd signed unknowns I get it, but we're in a relegation battle not bottling promotion.

Signed:
Curtis Thompson - (CM) 19 Lge 1 appearances this season, experienced and a position replacement for the loss of Conteh
Denver Hume - (LB) Regular for promoted Sunderland signed for 200k by Cowley at Portsmouth then not featured!
Doug Tharme - (CB) Regular for Accrington in Lge 1 last season, not played much at Blackpool this season
Harry Wood - (CM) unknown but scored on his debut after 2 mins so can't complain yet!
Justin Obikwu - (ST) Under 21 player on loan, meh we shall see extra body, and the Coventry fans seem to think he is one for the future.

We aren't struggling to score goals we are struggling to keep them out and the four experienced defensive players at a higher level above will hopefully address that.

Left:
Kamil Conteh - (CM) Yeah will be missed but only been here 6 months and we sold him for a profit and a sell on fee which will be activated at some point
Efete - (RB) meh
Waterfall - (CB) Shown that Lge 2 is a step too far for him now.
Khan - (Wing) hardly played this season and not scored
Khouri - (Wing) gone on loan, played two lge games this season

All in all, signed players were we are weak, time will tell if they get us out of trouble, but considering its January and not pre-season, can't complain too much with the type of player we have signed.
Waterfall was always going to struggle in an Artell side, just like he did under Askey. His best football has always been with managers who play to his strengths, which is not being exposed against pace (which he never had, or had to lose).

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
INS: Sam Walker, Tyreik Wright (loan), Calum Kavanagh, Jake Young (recalled).

OUTS: Harry Lewis, Vadaine Oliver (loan), Emmanuel Osadebe, Chishom Afoka (recalled), Rayhaan Tulloch (recalled).

‘We want to trim the massive squad and we’ll finish the window stronger than when we started’, two things like every other sound bite out of the club that comes back to bite them on the arse. We lost one of the leagues best goalkeepers and replaced him with an average Joe mate of the goalie coach. We resigned Tyreik Wright back on loan, if he can recapture his old form then that’s a great signing (his Plymouth form a lot less so), and our head of recruitment who basically signs 85% of players with a Middlesbrough connection signed… a striker from Middlesbrough with a less than impressive goal scoring record at first team level.
Outs, two loanees who haven’t kicked a ball in months, Osadebe who was no where near professional level (so overjoyed he’s gone) as well as big wages and underperforming Vadiane Oliver so again, a good exit. Jake Young back but obviously all eyes on can he get anywhere near his Swindon form, which let’s be honest he won’t.

Last edited:

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
We've shuffled the chairs about on our sinking ship this window. 6 in, 5 out. And another managerial change less then a week before the window closed, which snookered Cotterill with regards to signings he might have wanted.

Ins: Alex Gorrin CM (Oxford/free agent), Dom Thompson LWB/LW (Blackpool loan), Tommy Simkin GK (Stoke loan), Maxi Oyedele CM (Man Utd loan), Emmanuel Osadebe CM (Bradford undisc), Christian Doidge ST (Hibs free).

Outs: Reece Welch CB (loan from Everton terminated), Callum Morton ST (loan from Salford terminated), Troy Deeney ST player manager (sacked), Teddy Jenks CM (Ross County loan), Matty Taylor ST (Cheltenham free).

Some decent ish looking signings, Osadebe has impressed the most so far. Doidge if he can find anything close to his old form should be good too. We're looking short of numbers in both defence and attack, but we have got a lot of midfielders. Not sure what our squad planning is supposed to have been, although not a surprise it's been disjointed given we've had 4 different people taking charge of our last 9 league games.

Last edited:

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Ins - Scott Robertson (Fleetwood, Free), Lewis Macari (Stoke, Loan made permanent), Luca Ashby-Hammond (Fulham, Loan), Jaden Warner (Norwich, Loan), Charlie Colkett (Crewe, Loan), Alassana Jatta (Viborg, £130k)

Outs - Ollie Tipton (Recalled from loan)

Job done for us really, kept hold of Langstaff and Jones, and dealt with the squad’s horrible lack of depth and our two problem positions in central midfield and right centre back with Robertson and Warner. Macari showed enough on loan to suggest he’s a real prospect for the future, Colkett one of our little projects, and Jatta some future planning and a different option off the bench.

Hopefully done enough to mean we can keep our place in the top seven and make it a good first season back.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

oh yes for sure

Matias Pogba was ours...

lordofthepies

A shit Martino
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Twitter
@aitchyrobinson
IN
Lewis Leigh (Preston, loan)
Josh Austerfield (Huddersfield, loan)
Ed Turns (Brighton, loan)
Charlie Kirk (Charlton, free)

OUT
Connor O'Riordan (Blackburn, £500k)
Joe White (Newcastle - end of loan)
Charlie Colkett (Notts County, loan)

A reasonable window - O'Riordan and White are big losses but I think we've replaced them as well as we can with the loan signings. Colkett is a good player but hasn't really played so isn't actually a loss to us. Kirk is a lovely bonus - if we can get him fit and confident, he's better than L2 level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!