Racism

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
I see that reports of racist abuse in English football rose by 43% last season. Can't really understand why. Has there genuinely been an increase in racist morons in stadiums again or is it just being reported more? Personally I haven't witnessed any at football in quite a while, so wouldn't have guessed it was on the increase.

Wondering if anyone on here witnessed anything recently, and what, if anything they/others that heard it did about it? Any that I've seen in the past has normally been self policed, does that still happen?

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Could just be reported more, was last season the first time they had that app for people to report it anonymously? There's more racism about these days it seems but not to the extent that you'd see a 43% increase in a single single. Not witnessed any myself though I think some of the AMF types who stand near the back of the Warwick have been guilty of it before they used to sing about how they 'weren't racist' which means they probably were, though I don't know when exactly.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Could just be reported more, was last season the first time they had that app for people to report it anonymously?.

Apparently the Kick it Out app launched in 2013 and was updated two years later?

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Fucking despise racism, two of my Sons best mates are mixed race and one was being racially abused at school so my Son warned the little prick who was doing it to shut up, and when the kid then asked ‘what the fuck are you gonna do about it’ he gave him the answer with a punch in his face. My lad got a 2 day exclusion for it but when he told us the reasons we told him not to worry about it and he wouldn’t be getting any punishment from us for getting excluded.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Fucking despise racism, two of my Sons best mates are mixed race and one was being racially abused at school so my Son warned the little prick who was doing it to shut up, and when the kid then asked ‘what the fuck are you gonna do about it’ he gave him the answer with a punch in his face. My lad got a 2 day exclusion for it but when he told us the reasons we told him not to worry about it and he wouldn’t be getting any punishment from us for getting excluded.

Gotta stand up to racist bullies. Fair play to you not punishing him. Some things are worth doing, even if you get hassle for it.

Last edited:

Deepcut Cobbler

Reaction score
Supports
The Cobblers and Gladbach
It's all about doing the right thing, however I wouldn't advise the Violent Avenue, it could lead to unintended repercussions.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
I think this is down to more reporting rather than more incidents.
But there are some fucking stupid little englanders living in this country so anything is possible.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
GTFCfish story reminds me of an incident in the local papers last year. A couple of Polish lads had been in court charged with assault after they went to town on a couple of racists who were giving them a load of abuse. The judge spared them prison saying their reaction was excessive but the abuse they'd received was also excessive and provocation was a mitigating circumstance and gave them community service instead.

The level of outrage in the comments section below was insane. You'd think from the way some of the 'I'm not racist but...' crowd reacted that the judge had announced a statue of them would be commissioned for the city centre. I think one guy actually said 'if you're not English you can beat up whoever you like and face no consequences'.

Spanishstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield town
Here we go again ,britain must be the most tolerant country in the world ,but its not enough for some i really do despair

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Here we go again ,britain must be the most tolerant country in the world ,but its not enough for some i really do despair
It's definitely on the rise, which you may not have noticed from Spain, but in everyday life, on the street and perhaps too the football terraces it's kicked up a bit of a notch. Particularly with kids which is a worry, it's all this alt-right and 4-chan type stuff turning bored edge-lords into white supremacists. The racists themselves are becoming louder too because they interpreted Brexit (wrongly I should add) as being a referendum on whether racism is OK now.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
The racists themselves are becoming louder too because they interpreted Brexit (wrongly I should add) as being a referendum on whether racism is OK now.
I think there is an element of truth to this, in the days after the referendum a friend of mine was told that because of Brexit they were no longer welcome here, this was in a supermarket carpark by a man with a young child...a fine example to set. I spoke with someone else whose partner, a South American, was told exactly the same thing.

I don't think that the Brexit vote was a referendum on whether racism was OK, of course it never is, but the fact that reported instances increased immediately afterwards and seem to be on the rise must be considered an unintended consequence. The outcome certainly seems to have emboldened people with those views, and for some, given them a cloak of respectability.

I would not for one minute dare to say that every one of the 17+ million who voted leave are racists, of course they aren't, but there is likely to be a significant number who object to anyone who is not British living in this country...as someone who has many friends and close-family members who are in some cases neither white nor British...that is what really worries me.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I think there is an element of truth to this, in the days after the referendum a friend of mine was told that because of Brexit they were no longer welcome here, this was in a supermarket carpark by a man with a young child...a fine example to set. I spoke with someone else whose partner, a South American, was told exactly the same thing.

I don't think that the Brexit vote was a referendum on whether racism was OK, of course it never is, but the fact that reported instances increased immediately afterwards and seem to be on the rise must be considered an unintended consequence. The outcome certainly seems to have emboldened people with those views, and for some, given them a cloak of respectability.

I would not for one minute dare to say that every one of the 17+ million who voted leave are racists, of course they aren't, but there is likely to be a significant number who object to anyone who is not British living in this country...as someone who has many friends and close-family members who are in some cases neither white nor British...that is what really worries me.

Neither would I; go to great pains to stress the difference between calling all leave voters racists and saying that racists took the result as validation of their views, so as not to offend the average leave voter, but you know how these special snowflakes are... very easily triggered :devil:

Spanishstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield town
You say its on the rise maybe ,but thats to do with the political climate ,racism aint just to do with colour , think all of europe either envy us or despise us ,not sure but half of europe is racist ,cant understand why people think britain should be so different

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
You say its on the rise maybe ,but thats to do with the political climate ,racism aint just to do with colour , think all of europe either envy us or despise us ,not sure but half of europe is racist ,cant understand why people think britain should be so different
Been around Europe a fair bit. Can't say I've noticed much of either.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Well ive lived here for 9 years , believe me racism is rife in europe its not just the uk look at italy
Italy's pretty bad for it yeah, and spots like Serbia, doesn't excuse it here, also I mean't I hadn't encountered most of Europe either envying or despising the UK.

Last edited:

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Normally found the locals very friendly to English, only problems I've had were in Holland when we played them and had a load of Tommy Robinson fans going around shouting Brexit in people's faces, smashing the place up and generally acting like obnoxious c***. That seemed to make them dislike the rest of us a bit more for some reason.

darren gregory

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
We were sadly labelled a racist club by our own chairman. Said was a reason JFH was not considered for manager which was disgusting.
We had an incident against Bradford where there was loud chants of ' you're just a small town in Asia ' .
Made the Nationals as Garth Crooks had his say.

I've never personally witnessed any individual abusing a black or foreign player , i can only guess our fans would shame them and rightly so.

Personally Darren Beckford and Robbie Earle are two of my all time favourite players.
I guess the stats suggest there is a big problem, hand on heart I've never seen it in the flesh.

The Bradford incident was called football banter, I'll let you form your own opinion but to be labelled a racist club on the back of that was proposterous

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Italy's pretty bad for it yeah, and spots like Serbia, doesn't excuse it here, also I mean't I hadn't encountered most of Europe either envying or despising the UK.

Was there this summer and one place we went was San Marino. Sat there in a pizzeria and was talking about San Marino and Italy with the waiter. He said he loved his country/principality. 'Why's that?' I asked. 'Because we can control how many black people come in'

These kind of comments are more than creeping in now to the UK and are seemingly a lot more acceptable. Can't be homophobic any more but yes to casual racism.

Modernist

Reaction score
Supports
Freedom
so because YOU think it's the most tolerant then no-one should every discuss a rise in racism?

I think what we've learned over the last decade that the UK isn't as tolerant as we had hoped.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Well ive lived here for 9 years , believe me racism is rife in europe its not just the uk look at italy
I have spent quite a bit of time in a couple of European countries, Belgium and the Netherlands. In Belgium, when I was there in the late 80's, there was a lot of racism associated with football...mainly monkey chants aimed at black players, or comments like "go back to the Congo"...and that is before you go anywhere near the Walloon (French) versus Flemish (Dutch speaking) issue, which is largely about racial difference.

The Netherlands are held up as a paragon of virtue when it comes to racial integration and liberal culture, but it is shocking how much Islamophobia is present in that country...look up the name Pim Fortuyn...a right wing politician who was assassinated in 2002 for promoting Islamophobia.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
There are a lot of morons in the world. Blame Brexit, blame the increase in the far right or even blame the like of Trump getting into power. It's none of the above, it's always been there, personally I think we hear about it more now because decent people have started to challenge it more rather than turn a blind eye.

We are nowhere near the worst though, in countries like Czech Republic, Ukraine and Russia people use the N word openly and think nothing of it. Not that it makes it right of course.

But people who always go on about hating racists etc. to show how tolerant and better they are don't help, firstly because most wouldn't actually challenge it if they saw it, but mainly because racists need education if we just keep going with the attitude all racists are scum and need locking up it will just go on forever. Most are like that because lets be honest, they're thick. Thick people need educating and time to change their outlook, most of it stems from their upbringings, families using racial words like it's nothing, making comments when someone "different" comes on the tv, it's ingrained in them and won't change over night.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
I agree with much of what WilsdenBantam has posted, a lot of it is ingrained in people because that is what they grew up with, it isn't simply white people against anyone who doesn't have the same skin colour as them or worship the same God. It isn't as simple as saying that you grew up in an area where there were no ethnic or racial minorities, perhaps even a mono-culture, and using that as justification for disliking, or more often fearing, anyone who is different.

I don't hate racists, if anything I feel sadness for them. They will never get to benefit from, or enjoy, what they can gain from being part of a multi-cultural society...or perhaps have family and friends where an average get-together will involve people from a wide range of backgrounds, often speaking different languages, seeing that as a pleasure rather than a threat to their own particular culture.

Without going into specifics in a public forum, I have parents who are different nationalities, one is not and never has been British. My concern is that there are people in this country who wish that that parent, despite being in their 70's was not in our country...an even more extreme group would like to see them removed. When you see pictures from the US, with the President present, and the crowd shouting for someone to be sent home from their country...that is a little scary as what happens on the other side of the Atlantic often comes here eventually, I found it a little reminiscent of the Nuremburg rallies in the 30's, I sincerely hope we never get anywhere near what happened back then.

I will proudly declare myself to be anti-racism, I will stand up to it wherever I can, even if that means putting myself at risk...it may be simply pointing out to someone that what they have said is offensive, or perhaps taking a different course of action, whatever is appropriate to the situation.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient

I am deeply and fundamentally intolerant.

Mostly of racists, homophobes and Tommeh fans, but also occasionally of illiterate immigrants. Like you.

lordofthepies

A shit Martino
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Twitter
@aitchyrobinson

Unbelievably stupid comment. I see reports of racist incidents almost every day, I see and hear racist attitudes all the time and you think it's ok because other countries might be worse? Give me strength.

Spanishstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield town
Unbelievably stupid comment. I see reports of racist incidents almost every day, I see and hear racist attitudes all the time and you think it's ok because other countries might be worse? Give me strength.

But i never said it was ok did i ,what i said is that its prevalent in many countries in europe so why do people expect britain to be any different

Stringy

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
IDC.png

Where do you rank yourself on the intercultural development continuum? Here are some descriptors that I pinched from a website of which I didn't assess the reliability.
  1. Denial. In this stage, individuals and groups show little interest in other cultures, avoid cultural difference, and may deny that differences have their roots in culture. This stage is representative of a monocultural mindset.
  2. Polarization. Those in this developmental stage view differences as opposites, or as an “us versus them” prospect. Some in this stage view their own culture as superior to other cultures, while others believe their own culture is inferior to others (reversal).
  3. Minimization. During this developmental stage, individuals and groups seek to highlight cross-cultural commonalities, but at a heavy price – a disproportionate focus on commonalities and supposedly universal values – and tend to paper over differences and silence diverse viewpoints.
  4. Acceptance. In this stage, groups and individuals can appreciate both differences and commonalities across cultures, but do not yet feel prepared to appropriately adapt and act effectively cross-cultural differences.
  5. Adaptation. An organization or individual in this developmental stage is able to shift cultural perspective and behave in ways that bridge cultures effectively, with a repertoire of multiple cultural frameworks or practices. This stage represents a multicultural mindset.
I rank Son of Cod, having lived in South Korea, as the most interculturally developed on this forum.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Living as close to Scotland as we do, I think the whole of Carlisle is firmly entrenched in stage 5. This is evidenced by the amount of burns suppers and neeps and tatties around the city in January

Classic example though of the diagram you see so often in textbooks and in seminars that adds nothing to the point being made

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!