After Coronavirus - What next for league football? (poll)

Which of the following should happen when football returns (select all that apply)

• The 2019/20 League Season is completed (approx 9-10 games per team)

Votes: 38 60.3%
  • The 2019/20 League Season is null and void, no promotions or relegations

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • The 2019/20 League Season ends, points per game used to calculate winners and promotions/relegations

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • The 2019/20 League Season ends, current points used to calculate winners and promotions/relegations

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • The 2019/20 playoffs are played as normal

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • The 2019/20 playoffs are cancelled and an additional automatic promotion place created instead

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • The 2019/20 playoffs are cancelled, with no promotion and one relegated team reprieved per division

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • The 2019/20 playoff semi-finals are cancelled with just two teams meeting in playoff finals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The 2020/21 league season should be played as soon as possible as normal

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • The 2020/21 league season should be cancelled and replaced with alternative competitive fixtures

Votes: 11 17.5%

• Total voters

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Easy to say when it makes no difference to you.

It wouldn’t affect Mansfield one bit if the league was finished using ppg. Just because you’ve had a grossly underwhelming season you’d rather everyone else achieved nothing.

If we were under half the season gone, I’d incline to agree but we’re at the arse end now and it deserves to be concluded.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

It wouldn’t affect Mansfield one bit if the league was finished using ppg. Just because you’ve had a grossly underwhelming season you’d rather everyone else achieved nothing.

If we were under half the season gone, I’d incline to agree but we’re at the arse end now and it deserves to be concluded.

Did you read anything conker said? :doh:

The season should be concluded in an ideal world yes, but if the greater good of the league suggested we replayed the season then so be it.

The financial well being of the league trumps all else, so if it means that Swindon play Stevenage next season however unfair because of something completely unprecedented by like literally everyone then so be it.

Better to have clubs all safe and sound next year than not at all to satisfy the greed of a few.

Would I think differently if mansfield were up there, honestly? No. I’d be annoyed as well, but I wouldn’t be selfish enough to view it through just my perspective.

However, on a side note I do acknowledge your thoughts and position and that’s what makes this whole situation so tricky for all concerned.

Andy Proctor

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
What would the league table look like if points per game was used? I doubt there would be much difference apart from Swindon going above crewe as they have played a game less.

Jerry

Reaction score
Supports
Torquay
What would the league table look like if points per game was used? I doubt there would be much difference apart from Swindon going above crewe as they have played a game less.

Cheltenham would move above the Greeks into fourth which might be significant if the play-offs don't happen.

In League One Wycombe would move up from 8th to 3rd!

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Did you read anything conker said? :doh:

The season should be concluded in an ideal world yes, but if the greater good of the league suggested we replayed the season then so be it.

The financial well being of the league trumps all else, so if it means that Swindon play Stevenage next season however unfair because of something completely unprecedented by like literally everyone then so be it.

Better to have clubs all safe and sound next year than not at all to satisfy the greed of a few.

Would I think differently if mansfield were up there, honestly? No. I’d be annoyed as well, but I wouldn’t be selfish enough to view it through just my perspective.

However, on a side note I do acknowledge your thoughts and position and that’s what makes this whole situation so tricky for all concerned.
Just how does the financial well being of L2 change on whether the season ends now and 4 teams get promoted or whether the season ends now and nobody gets promoted?

The thing is - the season ends ASAP. If it’s decided to use ppg to decide final placing makes absolutely no difference to anyone financially.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
What would you be saying if this happened last season Dan?

Whatever happens its going to upset somebody, For me play the season when it's safe to do so. Fans aren't going to get into stadiums this side of Christmas by the sounds of it so I'd finish this behind closed doors and cancel next season all together.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC

Whatever happens its going to upset somebody, For me play the season when it's safe to do so. Fans aren't going to get into stadiums this side of Christmas by the sounds of it so I'd finish this behind closed doors and cancel next season all together.
Get this season ended now - let teams release players who they would have released anyway and furlough anyone they can.
Play next season Jan/Feb to November and the 2022 season the same.
Have the World Cup as scheduled at the end of 2022.
Have sets of regionalised leagues Jan-April 2023 with the teams from L1, L2 and National League and then start with restructured leagues in August 2023.

Bantamigo1

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I think the games should be played behind closed doors. All games to be streamed by either Sky or iFollow.
Put the next season back a couple of weeks. The players dont need a lengthy break before pre season so if the season can be done by July, they can have a couple of weeks off and then straight back into pre season

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon

Exactly my point. Clubs can not afford to keep players on the payroll waiting for games that may, in the end, never get played. Clubs need to hunker down now or they’ll go bust. At our level no club can afford to play games without paying customers - it’s just not feasible.

If this had happened last year it would have made no difference to my club - just as it makes no difference to the vast majority of clubs. How would not promoting any clubs this season improve anything?

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
I work in a petrol station that all the emergency services in the area use - so talk regularly to Police and Ambulance Services etc. They have a far better grasp on what's going on that everybody else.
Consensus is that this isn't going away any time soon - we are looking (or should be looking) for most measures to be here for 3 months (we are in week 5 now) I'd already been told pubs would be lucky to open before the end of the year and one of the papers today suggested the same. They also say sports is only just ahead of pubs on priority. Sport with crowds of any size won't be happening much before the year end either. We should forget about this season...
I suspect you are right. The Doctors I and friends have spoken to all seem to think not a lot will change until probably June/July in terms of lots of people going back to work. I don’t think it is beyond the realms that there will be no football with fans until 21.

WhiteRussian

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
PL; Assuming Norwich are done for, then Bournemouth for having a 3rd Division stadium and West Ham as it will piss my ex-partner off
Champ; Swop Barnsley for Wigan
L1; No contest, Franchise
L2; Macclesfield

Piss off pikey.:P1:

Winky said today that we have our staff on the furlough scheme and our players would be going on it soon but due to the contracts he had to have agreement in writing from each player. I don't know if that's the same with every club. Also our players are going to defer some of their wages to help the club.

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/football/dons-players-take-25-cent-wage-deferral-april-2543513

He didn't sound very optimistic about the future if it goes a long time before games with fans resume.

Last edited:

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__

it’s fucking football - in the grand scheme of things, Swindon and their position in the league means fuck all.

It be easy for me to say if it was Mansfield, as I’ve explained pretty clearly, getting promotion under these circumstances (or relegation if you have the capacity to think the other way round too) is not right because it’s not been earned.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Yeah, I can’t think of a worse way to go up. Massively underwhelming and undeserved. That’s why I’m willing for us to take one for the team and take this shitty promotion if it helps sorts things out. No. Honestly. It’s fine.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We will have to see what transpires tomorrow, I can’t imagine the bottom 14-15 sides being that keen to go back playing dead rubbers essentially costing themselves money with no fans so the top 9-10 will have to suck up what comes I guess which is frustrating from a footballing point of view but I guess there is a greater purpose of getting rid of this disease in what has essentially become war time conditions (arguably even more socially locked down than when Herr Hitler was dropping bombs on us and vice versa)

I’d be gutted because we’ve had a rare good season and the memories so far have been great for us long suffering Valiants but would i rather play it or risk one of our players getting the virus and passing it onto someone vulnerable, there is a bigger picture.

You either finish it or expunge it in my view though because the chaos with any other decision with it not being football promotions/relegations would open many cans of worms and dare say it legal challenges from clubs missing out when they had a realistic chance of overhauling clubs up there.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
If teams did get promoted under these circumstances, the bants they will get on here for getting fake promoted might well be worth it :lol:

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
The good of the league and all clubs is greater than the interests of the few.

If it means the staff, players and clubs survive and we have to abandon the season then so be it. It’s not desirable for anyone, but may well be the best way forward.

Camborne Gills

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham, Kent, Miami Dolphins, Castleford
I don’t think they’ll discriminate. Imagine games being played with fans in L2 and hordes descending from all over the place to get their fix.

I do wonder if clubs can survive even if they’re mothballed for months on end. I can still see owners bailing out if their clubs start impacting financially on their core businesses.
Season ticket holders only? (as an experiment)

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
If teams did get promoted under these circumstances, the bants they will get on here for getting fake promoted might well be worth it :lol:
Except they would not be coming to this forum any more.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
Exactly my point. Clubs can not afford to keep players on the payroll waiting for games that may, in the end, never get played. Clubs need to hunker down now or they’ll go bust. At our level no club can afford to play games without paying customers - it’s just not feasible.

If this had happened last year it would have made no difference to my club - just as it makes no difference to the vast majority of clubs. How would not promoting any clubs this season improve anything?

For me the only option is PPG, 3 up 3 down, scrap the play offs.

If only so we can have an away day at Tranmere when ever this is all over and it be on a Saturday for once.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
The good of the league and all clubs is greater than the interests of the few.

If it means the staff, players and clubs survive and we have to abandon the season then so be it. It’s not desirable for anyone, but may well be the best way forward.
I’ll try again.

I agree the season needs to end now.

You say ‘the good of the league’ - how does promoting teams using ppg, or whatever, impact negatively on the vast majority of other clubs in L2 who just want the season to end?

I understand it’s your personal opinion that you don’t want to see clubs promoted but I fail to see the difference it makes in the general footballing context. If it goes to ppg it will because the overwhelming number of clubs in L2 voted for it.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
For me the only option is PPG, 3 up 3 down, scrap the play offs.

If only so we can have an away day at Tranmere when ever this is all over and it be on a Saturday for once.
so Macclesfield and Morecambe going down with Satanage?
or did you mean 4 up 3 down between L1 and L2.
or 3 up 2 down between L1 and L2?

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Dave Artell just told Radio Stoke in the last hour that two clubs in League Two want the season over for financial reasons.

"They've got the two highest budgets and are fighting for the season to be null and void...read into that what you want, but they've not got much to play for."

Hi Mansfield and Salford.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Some cheese at Cambridge Utd said he’s talked to a CEO of a club at the top of our league who wants the season finished - even if it means forfeiting any promotion.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Some cheese at Cambridge Utd said he’s talked to a CEO of a club at the top of our league who wants the season finished - even if it means forfeiting any promotion.

Top is a vague term. Could mean a playoff side as well as a promoted side. Just seen Northampton's Chairman is going on Talksport to share his thoughts.

I do know for a fact though that our owners would be staunchly against it ending. We probably have the most to lose out of all those at the top if the season was voided. Promotion would probably help us keep more of the squad together. Void, and more could go leaving us in a weaker position in a league we probably wouldn't have been in next season given the way we were going. We don't have the money just to give decent pay rises and keep them here for another two years that the likes of Plymouth and probably yourselves could manage for a start.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Dave Artell just told Radio Stoke in the last hour that two clubs in League Two want the season over for financial reasons.

"They've got the two highest budgets and are fighting for the season to be null and void...read into that what you want, but they've not got much to play for."

Hi Mansfield and Salford.

Not saying it’s untrue, but heard absolutely nothing this end.

I personally hope some how the season is finished, although the financial aspect does make sense for many clubs.

Deepcut Cobbler

Reaction score
Supports
The Cobblers and Gladbach
Playing behind closed doors?
Will all involved need to be tested and then isolated before, during and between games. How does that happen?
That will include the cooks, cleaners, reporters, cameramen, sound engineers, bus/truck drivers and everyone else involved in the sustainment of, travelling to/from, playing and transmitting of the games? It's not just the players.
Plus, where will the medical staff be sourced from when they are currently all hands to the COVID-19 pumps?

When one of the quarantined group shows signs, that'll put the kybosh on that group and amyone else that has been into contact with them from competing/taking part for the next 14 days at least. What happens then?

Times all that by 45 each match day/weekend and you get the scale of the problem.

Football, in my opinion, isn't that important and those that think it is, are not in the real world that the rest of us are currently living AND working in...

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
I think we're going to be at an impasse until mid-May at the earliest. If Rick Parry's masterplan gets the green light, all these talks will more than likely go away. But if Parry's plan doesn't come to light, then there'll be more serious talks regarding the end of the season. That's for sure.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Chairmen puffing our their chests like they are centre of the universe this week preparing for a shitshow if whatever the decision is doesn’t favour them. Gotta love this game.

There is absolutely no chance of football this side of August. All clubs will be in favour of having the chance to end as many contracts as possible as soon as possible, so I don’t see any appetite to actually finish the season (and the idea the game can be quarantined and finished is hilarious. Not happening in a million years). The promotion/relegation issue seems to be the only one outstanding imo and when it comes down to the selfish ways of football, there’ll be far fewer (or less “powerful”) clubs upset with promotions going ahead than there will be if they’re scrapped.

Above all though, I think we can all agree that we just want all our clubs to still be here at the end of this and for us to be promoted.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
A-fucking-men to that.

Also, another problem with BCD is the likelihood of large groups still gathering outside grounds where the result means something.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Top is a vague term. Could mean a playoff side as well as a promoted side. Just seen Northampton's Chairman is going on Talksport to share his thoughts.

I do know for a fact though that our owners would be staunchly against it ending. We probably have the most to lose out of all those at the top if the season was voided. Promotion would probably help us keep more of the squad together. Void, and more could go leaving us in a weaker position in a league we probably wouldn't have been in next season given the way we were going. We don't have the money just to give decent pay rises and keep them here for another two years that the likes of Plymouth and probably yourselves could manage for a start.
Wasn’t insinuating it was Crewe - could well be us, although we haven’t furloughed yet which might mean something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!