Stickied League 2 Away Support Thread 2024/25

ROVERS⚽️

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers
Less than 5k on the opening day. Massive club lol.

Erm... hello?
I didn’t realise Port vale had averaged an over 1,000 away following in there first season in league one, I think they got near 800 average in the promotion season a few years back, if I’m not mistaken. So yeah Port Vale are in with a great chance of topping 1,000, especially if it’s a promotion season as many are predicting.

ROVERS⚽️

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers
Most of our local away days have restricted allocations, but with that being said, we typically average around 1,200 if we’re utterly useless. If we have a decent season, anywhere between 1,500-1,800+ is plausible.
It’s unbelievable numbers at this level, it really is for me a championship size club. Has season tickets dropped after last years record numbers or did the strong finish help keep the numbers high?. I know a few fans were rightfully getting fed up around march time but you finished strong.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I didn’t realise Port vale had averaged an over 1,000 away following in there first season in league one, I think they got near 800 average in the promotion season a few years back, if I’m not mistaken. So yeah Port Vale are in with a great chance of topping 1,000, especially if it’s a promotion season as many are predicting.
Its hard to say, the first season we did have 2700 sell out at Derby and 3300 at Sheffield Wednesday which helped!

Need some luck, good form and fixtures to fall right to achieve it, plus normally we'd take 1500-2000 Chesterfield which you can't do this season if I have ready correctly? The home attendances have grown well in the past 2-3 years so there is more travelling than there probably was in the promotion season generally.

ROVERS⚽️

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers
We won't be anywhere near top. Our home games are much better but it hasn't really translated into better away support.

Gillingham away 12.30 KO, Newport away Friday night, Morecambe shifted to 12.30, Bromley & Colchester away Tuesday night will all be relatively small followings

We will have a few 1k+ but will be enough lower ones to drag our average down.
That’s interesting, i wonder how big your away followings will be at Donny, Notts County, Bradford and Grimsby etc though as it’s your first time back in the football league after a few years. I think at Donny there is still near 4k available in the away end, Bradford and Grimsby have had 4k in recent seasons. If I’m being honest it’s probably helped Donny’s average home attendances a fair bit having that size away end those games were practically 50/50 home and away fans, but thankfully home crowds have starred increasingly abit again now after the good run. For some reason I thought Grimsby was back to 1.8k capacity again this season so the away ends still at 1.2k?.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
It’s unbelievable numbers at this level, it really is for me a championship size club. Has season tickets dropped after last years record numbers or did the strong finish help keep the numbers high?. I know a few fans were rightfully getting fed up around march time but you finished strong.

Is it though? It’s just what I expect us to be averaging, really.

We’ve sold 13,700 season tickets this season - around a 1,000 less than last years record. However, they’ve increased in price - thus generating more income than last year.

Swings and roundabouts ….

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Our game at Notts was on SKY last season. 12:30pm KO and we still fetched 2,300 - no excuses! :p
We'd take around that for a Saturday 12:30 to Notts I reckon, maybe a bit less? A Thursday at 8pm with no trains back to GY though, very different story.
That’s interesting, i wonder how big your away followings will be at Donny, Notts County, Bradford and Grimsby etc though as it’s your first time back in the football league after a few years. I think at Donny there is still near 4k available in the away end, Bradford and Grimsby have had 4k in recent seasons. If I’m being honest it’s probably helped Donny’s average home attendances a fair bit having that size away end those games were practically 50/50 home and away fans, but thankfully home crowds have starred increasingly abit again now after the good run. For some reason I thought Grimsby was back to 1.8k capacity again this season so the away ends still at 1.2k?.
Nope, still 1.2k max. Home ends have been selling out fairly consistently for a while now so unfortunately for visiting fans that won't be changing I wouldn't have thought. I'd expect Chesterfield to sell out, they usually travel well to us. Add them to Bradford (if they aren't "protesting"), Donny, Notts and maybe Carlisle and Vale depending on how they're going and that'll probably be the lot that sell out our away end this season.

ROVERS⚽️

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers
Is it though? It’s just what I expect us to be averaging, really.

We’ve sold 13,700 season tickets this season - around a 1,000 less than last years record. However, they’ve increased in price - thus generating more income than last year.

Swings and roundabouts ….
Yes, I would say the potential of 1500/1800 as an away following average at league two level is outstanding, maybe not for Bradford city but can you think of a club which has matched that at this level in recent times?.

ROVERS⚽️

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers
Yes, I would say the potential of 1500/1800 as an away following average at league two level is outstanding, maybe not for Bradford city but can you think of a club which has matched that at this level in recent times?.
Just noticed wrexham last season was above 1500 but I would be surprised if there has been many others. Either way I think that is a great following, especially considering the level we are at.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
That was an outrageous number set by Wrexham, but that's a club whose support has been inflated in the last few years beyond the realms of possibility for any other club. Bradford's away support is great for this level, but it's not quite 1500+ good, even if they're in a promotion race.

Scum.

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Looks like we will have about 1,000 at Watford tomorrow, so about half what we took for the second round 2-0 win back in 2022.

Soz, league cup.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
That was an outrageous number set by Wrexham, but that's a club whose support has been inflated in the last few years beyond the realms of possibility for any other club. Bradford's away support is great for this level, but it's not quite 1500+ good, even if they're in a promotion race.

Hmm, beg to differ!

No point quoting our 2013 average, either.

ROVERS⚽️

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers
We'd take around that for a Saturday 12:30 to Notts I reckon, maybe a bit less? A Thursday at 8pm with no trains back to GY though, very different story.

Nope, still 1.2k max. Home ends have been selling out fairly consistently for a while now so unfortunately for visiting fans that won't be changing I wouldn't have thought. I'd expect Chesterfield to sell out, they usually travel well to us. Add them to Bradford (if they aren't "protesting"), Donny, Notts and maybe Carlisle and Vale depending on how they're going and that'll probably be the lot that sell out our away end this season.
Any talk of a capacity increase for your ground
in general?. Surely you have potential to surpass your current capacity especially if you have some league success as your followings seem pretty good even when finishing 20th etc, without looking it up is it around 9,000 capacity?.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Our game at Notts was on SKY last season. 12:30pm KO and we still fetched 2,300 - no excuses! :p

Very entertaining match albeit the game was over at half time thanks to the 4-0 scoreline.

There won't be a repeat scoreline this season sadly.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

Yeah it’s the no trains that’s a killer for us there as a lot of our fans like to go by train and get shit faced.
That’s why I’ve booked the night off so I can take my lad and his mate as otherwise they wouldn’t be able to go.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__

It’s probably us at #2 just shy of 1300 which is a more realistic number to reach but only for a couple of clubs I imagine.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Only allocated 420 tickets for Bromley away, over half already sold in a couple of days. I'm guessing pretty much everyone will end up selling that out this season.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Hmm, beg to differ!

No point quoting our 2013 average, either.
I have no idea what your 2013 average was mate but I agree that followings that long ago don't necessarily hold weight nowadays, you can pretty much just look at post-COVID followings for relevance in terms of predicting averages. I was coming to that assumption based off your 1200ish averages when being in and around the playoffs the last few seasons. I'm not sure an automatic push adds on a guaranteed 300 more. I was also referring to that 1500 to 1800 bracket that was mentioned, I suppose it's possible you could get to the lower parts of that but certainly not the upper parts. To get 1500 you're more than likely looking at having to do a few four digit followings to places like Colchester midweek and you've gotta keep this up with all your 12.30 kickoffs coming in this seaaon. Worth pointing out that you also had a sub-900 average in 21/22 which is about on par with us last season, I certainly couldn't see us doing a 1500 average at this level. Another factor in Wrexham's ridiculous numbers is them being out of the EFL for so long. Grimsby and Bradford fans aren't exactly buzzing for Walsall away are we? No offence Saddlers, I'm sure the feeling is mutual!
Any talk of a capacity increase for your ground?. Surely you have potential to surpass your current capacity especially if you have some league success as your followings seem pretty good even when finishing 20th etc, without looking it up is it around 9,000 capacity?.
It's a constant source of chatter with the fans but the owners don't seem interested. It's frustrating as although we sell out all seats quite often the ST holders that don't show up bring down the home attendances (we report bums on seats unlike most at this level). So a match that has no home ticket availability can sometimes come in as an attendance around 7000+ depending on how many away tickets are sold. The capacity is officially 9052, but our highest attendance last season was 7700ish. Season before we tipped the 8000 mark twice but both times not getting anywhere near the 9000 end of that. The ST holders not turning up means the spare seats are dotted around too so anything over 7000ish feels pretty full. I don't know if the owners are waiting for the match day attendances to creep up towards 8000 regularly before addressing the issue or not. It feels a bit like reporting bums on seats serves them well as they can point to that as examples of us not filling the ground on a regular basis, but the reality is that tickets are often sold out. We've had temporary seats in the corners before in the past and this is often talked about but again never addressed by the owners other than to say it's not a priority. I don't think that permanent capacity increases to the existing stands is really an option due to planning regs with Blundell Park being hemmed in by houses on all four sides, again this serves the owners' preferences to invest smaller sums in the upkeep of Blundell Park rather than the heavy investment that will come with renovation or relocation.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Only allocated 420 tickets for Bromley away, over half already sold in a couple of days. I'm guessing pretty much everyone will end up selling that out this season.
Just looking at this on their website. The red area is the away end for this season:

zoning-1536x1083.png

Last time we went the away was the red area indicated on that picture in the side stand but not with the bit behind the goal however away fans did have the green block next to the main red block, so half of that side stand. We had 700 in there and it felt packed. Looks like their capacity is 500, so not sure how they're getting away with a 420 away allocation.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
As ever, geography will work against us in the much coveted 'away attendance league', but in the more important head to head league we'll fare pretty well against more or less everyone in the league. The main league will be won by one of the 14 teams within half an hour of each other near the peak district.

Doesn't help our cause when our local aways are so limited capacity wise - Wimbledon and Bromley our only away games within an hour and a half and both are small allocations.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Wimbledon and Bromley our only away games within an hour and a half
Yep same as us, only two matches for us within an hour and a half. Difference is, we don't complain about it every time we post in here. :hypo:

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Yep same as us, only two matches for us within an hour and a half. Difference is, we don't complain about it every time we post in here. :hypo:

yeh yeh, before we know it you’ll be posting in here bragging how you took more to Bromley than they did to you.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams

We have the following within a 2 hour (ish) drive.

Harrogate (21 miles) - 1,000 allocation
Accrington (34 miles) - 2,500 allocation
Salford (37 miles) - 1,350 allocation
Doncaster (46 miles) - 4,400 allocation
Chesterfield (55 miles) - 900 allocation
Crewe Alex (77 miles) 2,300 allocation
Notts County (78 miles) 2,500 allocation
Fleetwood (85 miles) - 1,300 allocation
Port Vale (85 miles) - 3,300 allocation
Grimsby Town (87 miles) 1,200 allocation
Morecambe (88 miles) - 1,600 allocation
Carlisle United (107 miles) - 1,800 allocation
Walsall (120 miles) - 1,600 allocation

Mighty_Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
To be fair we never travel well to Port Vale for some reason. Nor Carlisle (bar the play offs) particularly.

And I can't remember the last decent following at Walsall? 2013 in L1 when we took 1,300?

I don't know when we play Donny away, but obvs that has the potential to be 4k+.

ROVERS⚽️

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers
I have no idea what your 2013 average was mate but I agree that followings that long ago don't necessarily hold weight nowadays, you can pretty much just look at post-COVID followings for relevance in terms of predicting averages. I was coming to that assumption based off your 1200ish averages when being in and around the playoffs the last few seasons. I'm not sure an automatic push adds on a guaranteed 300 more. I was also referring to that 1500 to 1800 bracket that was mentioned, I suppose it's possible you could get to the lower parts of that but certainly not the upper parts. To get 1500 you're more than likely looking at having to do a few four digit followings to places like Colchester midweek and you've gotta keep this up with all your 12.30 kickoffs coming in this seaaon. Worth pointing out that you also had a sub-900 average in 21/22 which is about on par with us last season, I certainly couldn't see us doing a 1500 average at this level. Another factor in Wrexham's ridiculous numbers is them being out of the EFL for so long. Grimsby and Bradford fans aren't exactly buzzing for Walsall away are we? No offence Saddlers, I'm sure the feeling is mutual!

It's a constant source of chatter with the fans but the owners don't seem interested. It's frustrating as although we sell out all seats quite often the ST holders that don't show up bring down the home attendances (we report bums on seats unlike most at this level). So a match that has no home ticket availability can sometimes come in as an attendance around 7000+ depending on how many away tickets are sold. The capacity is officially 9052, but our highest attendance last season was 7700ish. Season before we tipped the 8000 mark twice but both times not getting anywhere near the 9000 end of that. The ST holders not turning up means the spare seats are dotted around too so anything over 7000ish feels pretty full. I don't know if the owners are waiting for the match day attendances to creep up towards 8000 regularly before addressing the issue or not. It feels a bit like reporting bums on seats serves them well as they can point to that as examples of us not filling the ground on a regular basis, but the reality is that tickets are often sold out. We've had temporary seats in the corners before in the past and this is often talked about but again never addressed by the owners other than to say it's not a priority. I don't think that permanent capacity increases to the existing stands is really an option due to planning regs with Blundell Park being hemmed in by houses on all four sides, again this serves the owners' preferences to invest smaller sums in the upkeep of Blundell Park rather than the heavy investment that will come with renovation or relocation.
If the 2013 (12/13 ) season away following for Bradford was higher than now that’s impressive as home attendance was nearer 10k that season so has grown a lot since then.

Oh that’s interesting, it would be less complicated if all clubs just went with ‘bums on seats’ or tickets sold as a set process, although Grimsby may be one of just a few to go down that route of not counting all tickets sold!. I think the biggest issue is with season ticket holders.. sometimes hundreds don’t turn up as you referenced, it can really skew the figures. I think it’s definitely something your owners need to be looking at seriously going forward if they are ambitious about taking your club further. A sudden promotion push down the line and they could be a fair few people missing out on tickets, therefore of course the extra revenue that brings and so on.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
I remember a time when you got outlawed and people got annoyed about any talk of home attendances or capacities. Thank goodness those dark days are gone.

Whilst GTFC remain at BP and have a capacity sub 10,000 regardless of how many people actually turn up they will always be seriously hamstrung by it both short and long term.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
197 Crewe at Rotherham. Quite a few fans only made it in just before half time though due to the M1, including those on the official coach so may not have been included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betpaddi

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!