League One 1-24 prediction 24-25

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Mullin's been great for us btw mate, thanks for asking.

I'm pleased it's worked out for Mullin. He's a lockdown legend, gave us all something to look forward to on a Tuesday/Saturday in terrible times and there isn't one bitter bone in my body towards him.

No agenda from my side, I just don't think Wrexham will do as well as pundits suggest this season unless you throw a bit more money about in the summer/Jan. Your strike force would be class in 2018 but not today.

Tom_CUFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
1. Rotherham United
2. Birmingham City
3. Bolton Wanderers
4. Huddersfield Town
5. Charlton Athletic
6. Wigan Athletic
7. Peterborough United
8. Wrexham
9. Blackpool
10. Wycombe Wanderers
11. Lincoln City
12. Stockport County
13. Reading
14. Bristol Rovers
15. Barnsley
16. Leyton Orient
17. Mansfield Town
18. Exeter City
19. Stevenage
20. Cambridge United
21. Northampton Town
22. Burton Albion
23. Shrewsbury Town
24. Crawley Town

I'm not really convinced about us but I will give us the benefit of the doubt that we will sign another striker (and not in a panic 10 minutes before the transfer deadline). We had one (really) good weekend under Monk and it was pretty turgid apart from that so he has a lot to prove still, and we've kept a lot of the rubbish from last season which is not encouraging at all, but our midfield should be a significant upgrade on where it was, and I think we'll get by defensively although injuries/fitness are a worry.

Wigan maybe the outlier in my top half compared to others, weirdly despite the fact we beat them 3-1 near the end of the season I thought they looked really good and had signs of a team that could build a promotion push the year after with a promising young manager.

Barnsley seem like a bit of a shambles so I think they'll be the "big" team in the bottom half. Reading are a bit of a wildcard but assuming they run as is then I don't expect them to trouble either dotted line. Might be doing Orient a disservice, but I think them and Mansfield are reasonably comfortable there and have some upward potential, with the relegation battle starting from 18th.

I expect Stevenage to start terribly but change manager and stay up. I don't think I'll ever be convinced by Caldwell but he did a good job second half of last season so assume Exeter will be OK. Northampton are a coin flip with us. Burton I just can't see it working with either the manager or the scattergun transfer approach. I don't think anyone outside of Shrewsbury believes in Hurst and they've not signed very well IMO, and like pretty much everyone else I can't see Crawley being competitive at all and I think Lindsey will go (of his own accord) at some point and that will be the death knell for them.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Whereas i’m not one for predicting tables it’s interesting looking at the relegation odds.

With crawley being the standout favourite by the bookies you’ve then get northampton, shrewsbury, cambridge and stevenage before you get to mansfield burton and exeter (all 11/4).

Any reason why they’d think the 4 mentioned are so low? genuine or a case of bookies not having much of a clue - or both?

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Whereas i’m not one for predicting tables it’s interesting looking at the relegation odds.

With crawley being the standout favourite by the bookies you’ve then get northampton, shrewsbury, cambridge and stevenage before you get to mansfield burton and exeter (all 11/4).

Any reason why they’d think the 4 mentioned are so low? genuine or a case of bookies not having much of a clue - or both?
Well Shrewsbury have signed 2 of our benchwarmers from last season and one from our physio room - all 3 I expected to be in L2 this coming season. So unless they have excellent players around them, they will struggle imo.
Every chance we will be down there struggling with them though!!

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City

Stevenage had a pretty poor second half of the season despite where they finished, I think they only won 6 or 7. Throw in Evans leaving and a rookie manager in his place...

Shrewsbury have been consistently near the bottom of the table since their PO season under Hurst 6(?) seasons ago, it's always felt like they've been 17th/18th since we've been in L1. Cambridge have been in the bottom third as well.

I'm assuming Northampton are the yo-yo club that bookies throw in there although it does look like they've lost two or three important players this summer.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I'm pleased it's worked out for Mullin. He's a lockdown legend, gave us all something to look forward to on a Tuesday/Saturday in terrible times and there isn't one bitter bone in my body towards him.

No agenda from my side, I just don't think Wrexham will do as well as pundits suggest this season unless you throw a bit more money about in the summer/Jan. Your strike force would be class in 2018 but not today.
Agree with that last bit in fairness, mid table seems likely but I'm an optimist and hope we get that striker in.

With our current strikers (not counting Mullin who we might not see for a couple of months) we will do well to finish top half. I suspect we'll see one or two in by end of the window.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Agree with that last bit in fairness, mid table seems likely but I'm an optimist and hope we get that striker in.

With our current strikers (not counting Mullin who we might not see for a couple of months) we will do well to finish top half. I suspect we'll see one or two in by end of the window.

injured....or filming?

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Had surgery on his back over summer. Welshpool (cringe) should be back before our festive game though.
Blimey he seems to be injured a fair bit lately. More Mr Glass than Deadpool

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
As a note. The season we came second in this division to Wigan and went up, I think we were favourites to go back to league two.
So predictions mean nothing.
Mansfield will do well as momentum and a feel good atmosphere round the club can keep you going.

My prediction - ( for what it’s worth )

Rotherham ( at a canter )
Wigan
Bolton
Huddersfield
Birmingham
Charlton
Barnsley
Stockport
Wrexham
Mansfield
The rest of us - split a fag paper

Strawberry_Jam

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton
We are at the minute what I thought Exeter would be last season, replacing the best player with an inexperienced loan in Dibley-Dias. Caldwell seemed to prove what a good manager he was in the end. Hope Brady can continue to show himself as a good L1 manager in what seems to be a harder division this year.

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
We’re written off most seasons before a ball is kicked, yet we’re the longest serving club at this level now with 10 consecutive seasons, it almost feels like the ‘Sky Bet Shrewsbury Town FC League One’.

I was concerned at the start of the summer, but after seeing our transfer business to date, hearing the reports from our pre season games, listening to an exclusive Paul Hurst interview with Sky Sports yesterday, and listening to a podcast with our director of football… it’s given me a lot more confidence and I’d be shocked if we were to drop and I genuinely mean that.

I think we’re going under the radar a bit with our business, we’ve paid out a couple of fees and beaten off numerous fellow clubs in this division to players such as Savin, Hoole, Rossiter, Biggins, O’Reilly and Lloyd. Backed up with the fact Paul Hurst and Chris Doig are back at the helm, we’ve announced record levels of season ticket sales today which shows how much confidence us Salopians have in Paul Hurst.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I’m sure many outside of Shropshire will write us off, but I’m saying now that we won’t drop. I’ll be here this time next year writing how it’s our 11th consecutive season unless by some miracle Hurst gives us a chance us another chance in the Wembley spotlight… who knows.

Oh and keep an eye out for Tommi O’Reilly this season, the lad looks like he’s gonna be a serious player for us!

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
We’re written off most seasons before a ball is kicked, yet we’re the longest serving club at this level now with 10 consecutive seasons, it almost feels like the ‘Sky Bet Shrewsbury Town FC League One’.

I was concerned at the start of the summer, but after seeing our transfer business to date, hearing the reports from our pre season games, listening to an exclusive Paul Hurst interview with Sky Sports yesterday, and listening to a podcast with our director of football… it’s given me a lot more confidence and I’d be shocked if we were to drop and I genuinely mean that.

I think we’re going under the radar a bit with our business, we’ve paid out a couple of fees and beaten off numerous fellow clubs in this division to players such as Savin, Hoole, Rossiter, Biggins, O’Reilly and Lloyd. Backed up with the fact Paul Hurst and Chris Doig are back at the helm, we’ve announced record levels of season ticket sales today which shows how much confidence us Salopians have in Paul Hurst.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I’m sure many outside of Shropshire will write us off, but I’m saying now that we won’t drop. I’ll be here this time next year writing how it’s our 11th consecutive season unless by some miracle Hurst gives us a chance us another chance in the Wembley spotlight… who knows.

Oh and keep an eye out for Tommi O’Reilly this season, the lad looks like he’s gonna be a serious player for us!
Not sure about the others . But don't think anyone else was after Hoole. We wanted to keep Rossiter -- But I would imagine on a less of a contract to what we originally signed him on due to the vast non appearances due to his injuries. Good player though.

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Not sure about the others . But don't think anyone else was after Hoole. We wanted to keep Rossiter -- But I would imagine on a less of a contract to what we originally signed him on due to the vast non appearances due to his injuries. Good player though.
Hoole rejected a contract at yourselves. Rossiter was offered also offered a contract by yourselves as well as Stockport but opted to come here. If we avoid any major injuries, I don’t think we have a bad squad at all. Also looking like another decent player from Villa will be joining us early next week. I’m happy with how our squad is looking so far.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Hoole rejected a contract at yourselves. Rossiter was offered also offered a contract by yourselves as well as Stockport but opted to come here. If we avoid any major injuries, I don’t think we have a bad squad at all. Also looking like another decent player from Villa will be joining us early next week. I’m happy with how our squad is looking so far.
I don't think we offered Rossiter a contract, we were helping him get fit.

Hudders

Reaction score
Supports
Huddersfield
Birmingham
Bolton

Barnsley
Posh
Udders
Wrexham

Stevenage

No idea

Jimmy Anderson

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton Wanderers
1st Birmingham
2nd Rotherham
3rd Barnsley
4th Peterborough
5th Huddersfield
6th Blackpool
7th Wrexham
8th Bolton
9th Charlton
10th Lincoln
11th Stockport
12th Wigan
13th Stevenage
14th Wycombe
15th Bristol rovers
16th reading
17th Burton
18th Mansfield
19th Leyton Orient
20th Exeter
21st Northampton
22nd Shrewsbury
23rd Cambridge
24th Crawley

LancashireTrotters

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Not The Top 20 Predictions

1) Birmingham
2) Bolton
——————————————
3) Huddersfield
4) Rotherham
5) Stockport
6) Charlton
——————————————
7) Lincoln
8) Barnsley
9) Wrexham
10) Peterborough
11) Blackpool
12) Bristol Rovers
13) Wigan
14) Leyton Orient
15) Wycombe
16) Mansfield
17) Reading
18) Northampton
19) Burton
20) Exeter
——————————————
21) Cambridge
22) Stevenage
23) Shrewsbury
24) Crawley

Not sure about a couple of predictions, Stockport for example.

Top 4 looks about right.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Not The Top 20 Predictions

1) Birmingham
2) Bolton
——————————————
3) Huddersfield
4) Rotherham
5) Stockport
6) Charlton
——————————————
7) Lincoln
8) Barnsley
9) Wrexham
10) Peterborough
11) Blackpool
12) Bristol Rovers
13) Wigan
14) Leyton Orient
15) Wycombe
16) Mansfield
17) Reading
18) Northampton
19) Burton
20) Exeter
——————————————
21) Cambridge
22) Stevenage
23) Shrewsbury
24) Crawley

Not sure about a couple of predictions, Stockport for example.

Top 4 looks about right.
So you do not have us in the top 4??

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Blimey he seems to be injured a fair bit lately. More Mr Glass than Deadpool

Not really. Since we signed him he's been out twice - Once when the Man Utd reserve keeper clattered him and punctured his lung and now, when he's had a longstanding back injury corrected. He's pretty resilient really.

He's back training on grass now so hopefully he won't be out too much longer after all. Won't feature for the first few weeks of the season though.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City

Because who else is there? Some ambitious sides this season so those who have escaped previously will struggle.

bigfatron

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
One of the relegated teams will finish outside the play-offs (I'm guessing Huddersfield), one of the promoted teams will get relegated (Crawley look the obvious choice), one of the second-season teams will get relegated (Northampton look least safe) and one 'major' team will struggle (Barnsley for me)

It could have been any four from the bottom eight plus Burton for the drop though, and I am not remotely confident about my lot's 18th place...

1 Birmingham C
2 Bolton W
3 Charlton Ath
4 Rotherham U
5 Lincoln C
6 Blackpool
7 Wigan Ath
8 Huddersfield Tn
9 Peterborough U
10 Wrexham
11 Wycombe W
12 Bristol R
13 Reading
14 Stockport Co
15 Burton A
16 Barnsley
17 Stevenage
18 Cambridge U
19 Leyton Orient
20 Mansfield T
21 Exeter C
22 Shrewsbury Tn
23 Northampton Tn
24 Crawley Tn

Last edited:

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
I think a team like us (Cobblers) we look around at teams we’d hope to be above and that list is definitely smaller this year. The promoted league 2 sides all look decent (well 3/4) and it’s gonna be a tough slog.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Apologies for the ramble here!

Birmingham City
Rotherham United
--------------------------
Bolton Wanderers
Peterborough United
Charlton Athletic
Huddersfield Town
-------------------------
Blackpool
Barnsley
Lincoln City
Leyton Orient
Bristol Rovers
Stockport County
Wrexham
Mansfield Town
Wigan Athletic
Wycombe Wanderers
Exeter City
Cambridge United
Shrewsbury Town
Reading
Northampton Town
Burton Albion
Stevenage
Crawley Town

Firstly, us. Remains to be seen whether we end the summer window with the squad as strong as the end of last season, but we have more depth in central midfield and attacking areas this time round, which was our achilles heel last season. We have a huge Joe Taylor sized hole in our attack and no-one currently capable of scoring the number of goals he’d score over a full season or providing the sort of threat he did in behind. The loss of Alex Mitchell will depend on how well Montsma’s knee holds up. I’ve put us 9th, which could be a place or two too high if we don’t manage to find another Joe Taylor type loan in what remains of the window.

Evans + money = a successful season, so Rotherham will be right up there as a mainstay member of the ’Championship and L1 yo-yo club’.

Charlton will be the Oxford of this season and go from being awful last to decent this. They look full of physicality and muscle so I don’t think they’ll be bullied, and Jones should improve them significantly.

Birmingham have been eye catching with their signings and you’d back the calibre of their signings to see them through regardless of the inexperience of the manager. It’s Football Manager stuff across there.

Duff will keep Huddersfield ticking over and be solid if unspectacular like he was at Barnsley, although I can’t say their transfer business has stood out to me so it might be a little tricker initially (didn’t he have a slow start with Barnsley?).

Posh are always in and around it, likewise Blackpool with Critchley (although he’ll be hoping that isn’t such a disparity between their home and away form next season) and Bolton could probably do Evatt making them slightly less streaky next season. Always get the feeling they’re either going to win 8 on the spin or only win 2 in 8 – they drew far too many in the second half of last season.

Barnsley seem to have been quiet, I haven’t noticed them at all and I think it’s a big opportunity for Clarke. Whether it’s too big a job for him, time will tell but gut feeling for me is that it isn’t one that’s going to end in promotion.

Stockport, Mansfield and Wrexham have enough money and/or L1 managerial experience to steer clear of trouble but I think it’ll be a big ask for any of those to sneak into the PO’s. Coming top of the congested mid-table pack like we did a couple of seasons ago in that 9th-11th area is probably the aim and will be seen as a very decent season. I don’t know enough about Mansfield to comment on them but Wrexham seem like they have work to do across the front line and Stockport’s midfield looks like ours in 2021/22 i.e. in the main technical players with little physicality with Diamond, Fiorini and Bate but Mellon should prove to be a solid signing up front. For ease, I’ve thrown them all together because I think they’re much of a much to my now untrained L2 eye.

That mid-table pack will be tightly contested as normal, it’ll be interesting to see if Bloomfield kicks on with Wycombe after a decent first season.

Difficult to call Reading with their issues because as far as I’m aware, they haven’t signed anyone this summer? Seles did a good job there under the circumstances but if they don’t get things sorted prior to the end of August then they might be playing catch up. I’ve put them where I have through their current circumstance really.

Been a huge turnover of boardroom, staff and players at Burton that it’s so difficult to call what on earth is going to happen there! It’ll take some getting used to if they don’t sack the manager when relegation looms, sign a load of new players, have a squad of 40 and survive!

Wigan ended up having a comfortable season in 2023/24 but haven’t they had another budget cut this season (or at least having to shed the high earners?)? Probably another season of consolidating, I can’t see them troubling the PO’s.

Orient had similar issues in the second half of the season to what we did in the first i.e. attacking options injured and struggling to create.

Bristol Rovers had a pretty stinking second half of the season, I’m not sure whether that was down to injuries, poor squad, Taylor not really getting a reaction from them or a combination of all. They seem to have spent a bit, which doesn’t necessarily result in a good season but I fancy them to improve on last.

Stevenage have been a bit risky in handing the job to Revell. You’d imagine it’ll see a continuation of their style last season, but I suspect their form this season will be more akin to their second half of last season rather than the first.

I worry for Shrewsbury, something seems off there. I’ve could have put them bottom four but Hurst loves a 1-0 win and usually runs a tight ship defensively, which might be enough but I’m not fully convinced on him or them at the minute.

I’m getting second season syndrome from L1/L2’s yo-yo club Northampton who seem to be relying heavily on Brady after losing a couple of important players in the close season.

Exeter, like Cambridge (Shrewsbury and Burton also), need to find a way to score more goals otherwise they’re not going to improve much on last season. You can’t be averaging less than a goal a game and in three out of the four sides, be outscored by the relegated sides. There’s something about Caldwell and Monk that I’m just not a fan of, so I’ve probably put them down there due to that rather than any strong footballing views on them!

I think if Crawley play as open and expansive in L1 as they did in the L2 PO’s, then they’ll be in for a few hidings. Throw in the squad being picked off and some fairly low key signings (which admittedly they did and overachieved last season), then I’m not sure they’re going to survive.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City

Birmingham City
Rotherham United
Bolton Wanderers
Peterborough United
Charlton Athletic
Huddersfield Town
-------------------------
Blackpool
Barnsley
Lincoln City
Leyton Orient
Bristol Rovers
Stockport County
Wrexham
Mansfield Town
Wigan Athletic
Wycombe Wanderers
Exeter City
Cambridge United
Shrewsbury Town
Reading
Northampton Town
Burton Albion
Stevenage
Crawley Town

Firstly, us. Remains to be seen whether we end the summer window with the squad as strong as the end of last season, but we have more depth in central midfield and attacking areas this time round, which was our achilles heel last season. We have a huge Joe Taylor sized hole in our attack and no-one currently capable of scoring the number of goals he’d score over a full season or providing the sort of threat he did in behind. The loss of Alex Mitchell will depend on how well Montsma’s knee holds up. I’ve put us 9th, which could be a place or two too high if we don’t manage to find another Joe Taylor type loan in what remains of the window.

Evans + money = a successful season, so Rotherham will be right up there as a mainstay member of the ’Championship and L1 yo-yo club’.

Charlton will be the Oxford of this season and go from being awful last to decent this. They look full of physicality and muscle so I don’t think they’ll be bullied, and Jones should improve them significantly.

Birmingham have been eye catching with their signings and you’d back the calibre of their signings to see them through regardless of the inexperience of the manager. It’s Football Manager stuff across there.

Duff will keep Huddersfield ticking over and be solid if unspectacular like he was at Barnsley, although I can’t say their transfer business has stood out to me so it might be a little tricker initially (didn’t he have a slow start with Barnsley?).

Posh are always in and around it, likewise Blackpool with Critchley (although he’ll be hoping that isn’t such a disparity between their home and away form next season) and Bolton could probably do Evatt making them slightly less streaky next season. Always get the feeling they’re either going to win 8 on the spin or only win 2 in 8 – they drew far too many in the second half of last season.

Barnsley seem to have been quiet, I haven’t noticed them at all and I think it’s a big opportunity for Clarke. Whether it’s too big a job for him, time will tell but gut feeling for me is that it isn’t one that’s going to end in promotion.

Stockport, Mansfield and Wrexham have enough money and/or L1 managerial experience to steer clear of trouble but I think it’ll be a big ask for any of those to sneak into the PO’s. Coming top of the congested mid-table pack like we did a couple of seasons ago in that 9th-11th area is probably the aim and will be seen as a very decent season. I don’t know enough about Mansfield to comment on them but Wrexham seem like they have work to do across the front line and Stockport’s midfield looks like ours in 2021/22 i.e. in the main technical players with little physicality with Diamond, Fiorini and Bate but Mellon should prove to be a solid signing up front. For ease, I’ve thrown them all together because I think they’re much of a much to my now untrained L2 eye.

That mid-table pack will be tightly contested as normal, it’ll be interesting to see if Bloomfield kicks on with Wycombe after a decent first season.

Difficult to call Reading with their issues because as far as I’m aware, they haven’t signed anyone this summer? Seles did a good job there under the circumstances but if they don’t get things sorted prior to the end of August then they might be playing catch up. I’ve put them where I have through their current circumstance really.

Been a huge turnover of boardroom, staff and players at Burton that it’s so difficult to call what on earth is going to happen there! It’ll take some getting used to if they don’t sack the manager when relegation looms, sign a load of new players, have a squad of 40 and survive!

Wigan ended up having a comfortable season in 2023/24 but haven’t they had another budget cut this season (or at least having to shed the high earners?)? Probably another season of consolidating, I can’t see them troubling the PO’s.

Orient had similar issues in the second half of the season to what we did in the first i.e. attacking options injured and struggling to create.

Bristol Rovers had a pretty stinking second half of the season, I’m not sure whether that was down to injuries, poor squad, Taylor not really getting a reaction from them or a combination of all. They seem to have spent a bit, which doesn’t necessarily result in a good season but I fancy them to improve on last.

Stevenage have been a bit risky in handing the job to Revell. You’d imagine it’ll see a continuation of their style last season, but I suspect their form this season will be more akin to their second half of last season rather than the first.

I worry for Shrewsbury, something seems off there. I’ve could have put them bottom four but Hurst loves a 1-0 win and usually runs a tight ship defensively, which might be enough but I’m not fully convinced on him or them at the minute.

I’m getting second season syndrome from L1/L2’s yo-yo club Northampton who seem to be relying heavily on Brady after losing a couple of important players in the close season.

Exeter, like Cambridge (Shrewsbury and Burton also), need to find a way to score more goals otherwise they’re not going to improve much on last season. You can’t be averaging less than a goal a game and in three out of the four sides, be outscored by the relegated sides. There’s something about Caldwell and Monk that I’m just not a fan of, so I’ve probably put them down there due to that rather than any strong footballing views on them!

I think if Crawley play as open and expansive in L1 as they did in the L2 PO’s, then they’ll be in for a few hidings. Throw in the squad being picked off and some fairly low key signings (which admittedly they did and overachieved last season), then I’m not sure they’re going to survive.
Fair enough, I'd be happy with 17th. We will always struggle with our budget in this league, Caldwell is a better manager than you think and 13th last season was down to him. We have continually been beaten to the post for our targets, the latest one it seems is Will Evans going to Mans£ield

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe

Good comments generally, it's always next to impossible to call this league but it's good to read what others are thinking (about all teams, not just us).

But specifically in relation to us, most people have called us as mid-table and I think that's fair, I think we'll flirt with the playoffs but ultimately fall short.

We've signed well, but not spectacularly so (as to do that would take the big bucks) and it definitely looks like a tougher league this time round - so the whole thing of being able to be an absolute disaster for large chunks of the season (see us and Charlton from last campaign) and then pull it round may not be so doable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betpaddi

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!