Luton Vs Accrington

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Big game this weekend between 1st and 2nd. Accrington on an amazing run of form at the moment and have crept up on us to be just a point behind. Doesn't feel like it was that long ago when we were free and clear of the chasing pack but we have tightened up of late and Accrington have been on an absolute tear for a good while now. Have no idea if its backed up in fact but it does seem we have played a lot of teams in red hot form this season!

Another amazing job from Coleman you have to say, limited resources but has produced really good sides the past 3 seasons and seemingly look well on course for automatic promotion in this one. Really outstanding to be honest, not entirely sure how they do it!

The fact it is a big game is what concerns me about us. We tend to be poor in games like this, or where we have opportunity to pull ourselves away, and I do wonder if Jones intensity, for want of a better word, plays against him in games like this. Perhaps builds things up to the point where players tighten up a little bit. The good news is that bar D'ath (not a big loss IMO) we have a fit squad to go with.

Be really interesting to see who partners Hylton up top. Id be tempted to have Lee start up there and have Cornick on the bench primed for one of his electric substitute cameos he is capable of. Midfield is interesting too as Gambin had an excellent 70 odd minutes at Cambridge. Its a real tough call for Jones I think, you want to reward him for a good performance but then again he has barely played all season and you could question whether a Lee/Gambin combo might be a little lightweight for a game such as this. Real tough call for me but im really tempted to have Downes/Gambin/Lee/Berry in the midfield.

Some have called this a "title decider". Im not so sure it is personally. Perhaps if Collins hadn't been a fool at the weekend it might have been if we had won it as we would have had a commanding lead, but I don't think a win for either side necessarily decides anything as it currently stands. Its late in the season of course so any points in the lead are big ones but looking at Accrington's run in, it looks a nightmare, and even if we win Id still feel like wed drop some points unexpectedly somewhere the along the line. Its Luton after all and we wont make anything easy for ourselves!

Realise I have rambled a tad there, really looking forward to this one!

Maple Hatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town FC
Agree with most of that FCH. Accrington have a formula that seems to be working which appears to be a combination of loans and finding out of favour squad players from higher up the leagues. Coleman and his coaching team are certainly getting the best out of them. Shame really that it hasn't captured the imagination of the locals as their attendances are still very low. Must be frustrating for the clubs owners. I've noticed that they have ground out a lot of one goal wins or wins with a one goal margin which suggest that the games have been tight rather than them convincingly beating their opponents. I can't see us not scoring on Saturday which means that Accrington will have to score two or more to win. On that basis I don't expect us to lose and whilst it will be a tight game I'm hoping our players are motivated enough to bring the game to Accrington. A positive style will get the crowd on board. If we start to play it around at the back and launch those long balls up front it could well end up with us dropping points. As for selection we need ball winners in midfield to set up our attacks. Was very impressed with Gambin who creates a lot of problems for defenders but he may well come on as sub second half if we are struggling. Not sure whether to play Cornick or E. Lee but I expect both will play at some point on Saturday. Could be close to a full house which should spur the team on. We are unbeaten in 5 but we have too many draws for my liking. A win would really give us a great lift and get us over 70 point mark. We need to maintain the gap on the pack behind and give us a bit more self belief. We havn't quite hit those dizzy heights of the autumn but I convinced we still have the ability to put together those type of performances. It really does feel like the final run in has begun. Bring it on!

BelizeHatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Not sure why you don't think a team can come to Luton and score two or more. Only happened EIGHT times this season.

My last weekend morose has worn off somewhat but we don't have the bottle so I'm not confident

Maple Hatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town FC
Not sure why you don't think a team can come to Luton and score two or more. Only happened EIGHT times this season.

My last weekend morose has worn off somewhat but we don't have the bottle so I'm not confident
SIX times in the league. Take away that crazy 8-2 opening game vs Yeovil, it was a freak result. If you look at the other games at home when we have conceded two or more there is a common factor namely that we were playing with 10 men. We had Cuthbert sent off after 32 minutes against Swindon (who we beat 5-0 in the reverse fixture). Coventry scored two goals in injury time after we had a man sent off. Lincoln two goals came after we had a man sent off (we scored 4 though). Wycombe had scored 3 or more in 5 games during that period as opposed to Accringtons recent form of one goal in each of their last four. I can't see us not scoring against Accrington and if thats the case then its unlikely Accrington will score two based on their recent goal scoring form and I'm sure a much more disciplined performance by us. The chances of us having another player sent off a week after Collins departure are slim I'd say as NJ was fuming about our lack of discipline. Something you'd expect to be a rectified. Only Coventry have conceded less goals than us this season by the way which means the defence isn't a as big a problem as some fans make out.

Last edited:

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town

I was majorly annoyed last weekend too and I share your concern that we will bottle a big game by doing something silly. We cannot shoot afford ourselves in the foot in this game with a silly sending off like last week. Hope Jones has really made that clear this week. Some things you cant help but lets not kill ourselves by acting like dickheads.

Got to be a bit careful around the box too, they have had 12 penalties since we played them!

Lutonium239

Reaction score
Supports
Luton
I wouldn’t dismiss Accrington’s chances of coming and getting a 0-1. They will press us hard and not give us an inch of space. They won’t make the same mistake of allowing us the space that Crawley did.
I think it will be a game of few chances. If we scored early that could change, but otherwise we will need to hope that we can nick a goal before either the crowd get too frustrated or Stech drops one of his recent clangers.
From John Coleman’s point of view, there are only two possible outcomes:
1) Luton only won because of the referee and their massive budget, or
2) We thrashed them 0-1 and it it really should have been 5 from our 1 shot on target

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Got to be a bit careful around the box too, they have had 12 penalties since we played them!
I did think in recent weeks Kee (pen) was becoming quite regular! Almost becoming like Tubbs (pen) again.
Have we even had a quarter of that in the same time period?

Lance Stoe

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe
Never been to Kenilworth Road. Looking forward to it. Can you get a pint at half time?? One of the old school grounds like Saltergate, Boothferry Park and Layer Road

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Never been to Kenilworth Road. Looking forward to it. Can you get a pint at half time?? One of the old school grounds like Saltergate, Boothferry Park and Layer Road

There is a small bar that sells alcohol in the away end, very limited capacity is the only thing, I think they only let about 50 people in (although I don't imagine Accrington will bring a huge following so it probably won't matter).

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
The majority of away visitors are under 16 so there is a fruit juice dispenser available...and for the others,generally over 70 years of age,there is an usherette that floats up and down the terrace giving out complimentary hot Horlick drinks to keep them from falling into eternal rest....

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Not exactly a bad run Accrington are on. Since the 30th December: 10-1-1 - 31 points in 12 games. Incredible numbers, albeit they've only played Coventry and Swindon amongst the better teams in that run. Not that we've beaten those lower ranked teams either this season having lost away against the entire bottom 3.

We need to play our strongest possible team today, regardless of form. I'd go with:

GK Marek Stech
RB Jack Stacey
LB Dan Potts
CB Alan Sheehan
CB Scott Cuthbert
DM Flynn Downes
CM Olly Lee
CM Luke Gambin
AM Luke Berry
CF Danny Hylton
CF Elliot Lee
Subs: James Shea, Glen Rea, Lloyd Jones, James Justin, Andrew Shinnie, Harry Cornick, Jake Jervis

Going to be around 9,000 in the ground today at least; only a 100 or so home tickets left I think.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Not exactly a bad run Accrington are on. Since the 30th December: 10-1-1 - 31 points in 12 games. Incredible numbers, albeit they've only played Coventry and Swindon amongst the better teams in that run. Not that we've beaten those lower ranked teams either this season having lost away against the entire bottom 3.

We need to play our strongest possible team today, regardless of form. I'd go with:

GK Marek Stech
RB Jack Stacey
LB Dan Potts
CB Alan Sheehan
CB Scott Cuthbert
DM Flynn Downes
CM Olly Lee
CM Luke Gambin
AM Luke Berry
CF Danny Hylton
CF Elliot Lee
Subs: James Shea, Glen Rea, Lloyd Jones, James Justin, Andrew Shinnie, Harry Cornick, Jake Jervis

Going to be around 9,000 in the ground today at least; only a 100 or so home tickets left I think.

Dont think you are far wrong with that team, but think it might be Rea instead of Cuthbert. From what ive read it seemed like Cuthbert has been admitting he is still getting back up to speed post injury.

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
9C0544A5-5FEC-4E4E-BADB-7C905EFEB996.jpeg

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
The line up above was correct bar Andrew Shinnie and Glen Rea for Scott Cuthbert and Luke Gambin.

Not quite sure what Gambin has to do really?

Bench is Justin, Cuthbert, Cornick, Jervis, Mpanzu, Gambin, Shea.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
And in typical fashion we go a goal down right at the end of the half. Real decent strike that again. Second time in as many home games we go a goal down to a great strike. Beginning to think it isn’t our season and we’ve just been set up for our inevitable disappointment! Had a couple of real decent shots ourselves and 2 off the line to no avail. Aren’t playing all that well but have had some decent play.

Accrington done as expected look to slow the game at every opportunity and nick a goal and they have done that now. What a frustrating game football is.

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united
Don’t worry fellas, still plenty of points in front!

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
All that money...

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Well not even sure where to start to be honest.

Think we were the better side for the vast majority of the game, had some decent chances with headers off the line in the first half and some chances with Stacey breaking down the right hand side in particular. Cornick was giving Donacien a real tough time, (should have been booked long, long before he was but thats by the by). Once we got the equaliser we dominated the ball, Hylton has had a good header i think he should have buried but just didn't get the second goal.

Didnt really feel threatened by Accrington especially 2nd half to be honest and was just thinking, "well a point isnt terrible but a bit frustrating" and then Kee takes a rather speculative looking shot that creeps in the bottom corner. Frustration abounds!

Accrington will go and win the league i think now and good luck to them, something obviously going on there that you cant quite put your finger on but things are just working for them, barely created anything but got 2 goals with decent outside the box strikes so fair play to them. When its your season, its your season.

At the moment the opposite can be said for us, things are really just not quite right and our luck has turned. Even had another whistle happy ref blow up for a foul when Hylton was baring down on goal a la the Cheltenham game.

Personally I think we are in real trouble now. The way that game played out and the manner of the last second goal will crush a team already weak mentally even further. All the games are big now and thats a real worry for me as we are weak of mind. Cant really remember we have won what you would describe as a "big game" in Jones entire tenure here and they are all "big" games from here on in.

2 really tough looking away trips now, really think we will struggle in them after that.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Completely deflated after that one... more so than any other game since Blackpool in the play offs.

The better team by a country mile, lost. There's not really anything I'd say we should've done differently; I thought performance wise it was our best since the Crawley game.

Accrington are an effective and decent team, but I'm sorry, they're not the best in the division.

ASFC Tom

Reaction score
Supports
Accrington Stanley
Luton are by far the best team Stanley have played this season. At 90 mins would have taken a draw. But Luton just seemed to tire a bit for the last 10 mins - after having played the previous 80 at a ferocious pace - and that coupled with our knack of finding a way to win made me think we can nick this.

Trouble outside the ground after - we were locked in for 40 mins because of Luton fans trying to get at the stanley fans. Then when gates opened found Luton thugs on both sides trying to get to us. Saw at least 5 stewards being hit. I know this will be the minority but its disgusting behaviour. Several kids and elderly people got caught in it. Police finally arrived and shifted the thugs back down the road

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Well not even sure where to start to be honest.

Think we were the better side for the vast majority of the game, had some decent chances with headers off the line in the first half and some chances with Stacey breaking down the right hand side in particular. Cornick was giving Donacien a real tough time, (should have been booked long, long before he was but thats by the by). Once we got the equaliser we dominated the ball, Hylton has had a good header i think he should have buried but just didn't get the second goal.

Didnt really feel threatened by Accrington especially 2nd half to be honest and was just thinking, "well a point isnt terrible but a bit frustrating" and then Kee takes a rather speculative looking shot that creeps in the bottom corner. Frustration abounds!

Accrington will go and win the league i think now and good luck to them, something obviously going on there that you cant quite put your finger on but things are just working for them, barely created anything but got 2 goals with decent outside the box strikes so fair play to them. When its your season, its your season.

At the moment the opposite can be said for us, things are really just not quite right and our luck has turned. Even had another whistle happy ref blow up for a foul when Hylton was baring down on goal a la the Cheltenham game.

Personally I think we are in real trouble now. The way that game played out and the manner of the last second goal will crush a team already weak mentally even further. All the games are big now and thats a real worry for me as we are weak of mind. Cant really remember we have won what you would describe as a "big game" in Jones entire tenure here and they are all "big" games from here on in.

2 really tough looking away trips now, really think we will struggle in them after that.
Coleman sides have always seemed to shoot way more than any other team from outside the box.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Coleman sides have always seemed to shoot way more than any other team from outside the box.
Fair play to McConville and Kee for taking the chance, but they were both 1 in 20 chances.

The first half especially Accrington did nothing at all apart from slow the game down.

Just the way our luck is going at the moment. And Jones mentioned it in his post match interview, that he had watched Accrington a few times recently and they were lucky that Akinde didn't score late against them for Barnet and that a refereeing decision went their way to allow a goal v Cambridge, despite a supposed foul on Dunne.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
In hindsight maybe Jones will regret taking Downes off. In that moment it was a positive sub and showed we had intent to win the game, but also meant that Lee had to go to defensive midfield which he is not good at playing in. Dont think he was at fault for the goal or anything but it left us open in the middle of the pitch.

Jones went for the win, which i think you can credit him for as the way the game was going it looked like we had a goal in us, but its not worked out. In hindsight i wonder if hed make that sub again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!