Monday 2nd & Saturday 7th September

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
The game was over as soon as you were gifted two goals by the ref, the 3rd was a cross that looped in and the 4th a deflected shot that did the same. We’d do well to concede 4 of them all season, never mind in one game.

Our goals were lucky for sure, it was also an incredibly one sided game from kick-off until full-time and 4-1 was about a fair reflection. I mean after the fourth it was basically this for the last half an hour:

1725731196056.jpeg

I have no beef with Grimsby, but you’re not getting away with claiming you were ‘probably the better side on balance’ because a couple of our goals should’ve been disallowed haha.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Glad i sacked that off today. Typical serial losers defeat.

Shot ourselves in the foot early on. How Jon Mellish is still a footballer at this level beggars belief. He was at fault for both goals. He’s diabolical.

We wasted some good chances, but so did Bradford and they just edged it in my opinion so the right team won.

Shame for Ben Williams. Looked like bad injury, possible ACL the way he went down. But fingers crossed not as bad as it looked.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
I have no beef with Grimsby, but you’re not getting away with claiming you were ‘probably the better side on balance’ because a couple of our goals should’ve been disallowed haha.
Might want to re read his post, as I don't see him say we were the better side on balance against you, and if he is then he needs to think again, today was pretty even but could argue in places we were better until the goals changed stuff, but against you we weren't in the game.

Youpies

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Great win. Good solid start even if we have been fortunate.

Didzy doing the business when we need him to. We have also conceded very little XG so far which is quite interesting and probably the biggest change from last season. Again it's early but in amongst the unconvincing performances there is some encouraging albeit early data

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
That is a very generous review of the game against Notts, if we’re being honest.

You don't say! It's the classic attempting to rewrite history some time after the event.

We deserved won comfortably because we were comfortably the better side over the 90+ minutes.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Was Wright being good just an elaborate long term ruse that the Lincoln fans started working on ages ago to get us excited?

Draw would have been a fair result today in my opinion. A bit ridiculous that Chesterfield went into half time 2-0 up but for all the pressure we exerted we didn't create loads but were still comfortably better until they scored. The red card ended up working against us as it forced Chesterfield into a more defensive formation and we haven't figured out how to break teams down at all yet. Go ahead against and we may as well blow the whistle right now. I'd have preferred Chesterfield to keep coming at us to get a third.

Artell's comments about not being arsed about training for defensive set pieces and defensive training being easy are looking completely and utterly stupider and stupider as the weeks and mistakes continue. If we could sort the defence out we'd be a half decent side.

Chesterfield a bit more cloggery than I was expecting tbh. Midtable for them if that's their standard. Imagine they've got a bit more about than they showed today though.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
That is a very generous review of the game against Notts, if we’re being honest.

You don't say! It's the classic attempting to rewrite history some time after the event.

We deserved won comfortably because we were comfortably the better side over the 90+ minutes.
I think you two missed the "in places" part of Lew's post. Those places being the goals in the Notts match.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
FWIW I’d be worried about Grimsby. We finished bottom half last season because we played a stupidly open style of football and never bothered trying to defend, and that was with the league’s top scorer and player of the season. It feels like you’re trying to go the same way without anything like the quality in attack, which is.. bold.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
I think you two missed the "in places" part of Lew's post. Those places being the goals in the Notts match.

Most sides can claim to be unfortunate in games when you cherry pick to that extent.

Good news for Grimsby is they've already built up quite the lead over the bottom two.

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Said it a couple of times this season about opposition teams, but Accy were really honestly absolute shite. And dirty with it.

Still good to see us putting them away so comfortably given the players we had out. McGoldrick is looking like the player he was at Derby now he’s the main man up top and Abbot from Spurs looks a cracking loan signing. Loves a slide tackle for a young lad.

Bringing a fully fit Crowley and Jones back into that team is tasty. Oh and Harry Smith got sent off again. Happy Days.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Accrington were limited and pretty agricultural, plenty of fouls because they were frankly outclassed.
At least four, arguably five first team starters out today and I'm glad we weren't playing a top of the table team but the squad coped really well.
If George Abbott ( Spurs loanee) plays to that standard and gets used to L2 he's going to be a Jack Grealish standard loan signing for us if in a different position.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
FWIW I’d be worried about Grimsby. We finished bottom half last season because we played a stupidly open style of football and never bothered trying to defend, and that was with the league’s top scorer and player of the season. It feels like you’re trying to go the same way without anything like the quality in attack, which is.. bold.
That's not really what we're doing to be fair. We're trying to play possession based football, that's about where the similarites on the pitch end in terms of style. Different formation, different approach. Other than the match at ML, I wouldn't say we've been massively wide open. There's an element of that but's not to the extent of having wingers as wing backs and eight players piling forward every time we get the ball. You also don't need Jones and Crowley at this level. Nice to have of course but players of Rose, Vernam and JDS quality often form parts of attacks in this division that go up. We'll be midtable this season as has been said many times already.
Most sides can claim to be unfortunate in games when you cherry pick to that extent.
Nobody is claiming we weren't outplayed, just that all four of the goals were very unfortunate for us. That's not stretching anything at all, it's just undeniably the truth.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
What pleased me today is that for the first time we looked a level above the opposition. We have some real quality, especially in attacking areas, but it feels like workrate and pressing hasn't matched that.

Tolaj and Stockley made a real difference today, Newport just couldn't handle them. Byers was the calm player with ability that we need in midfield. It really could and should have been 7 or 8 but for the fact that we weren't sure how best to play against 9 men.

We were 4-1 up anyway at the time of the first red card, so the game was won but I thought their first red was a bit soft. The second was just crazy....their player should be reprimanded by the club for being so stupid.

Not sure what to make of Newport as they just had a really poor day but passing it around the back at league 2 level is asking for trouble....the players simply aren't good enough.

Grimsby Road

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
I think you're absolutely right there about the refs. Wank really. And yeah a safe mid table finish for you should be easy enough, just need to cut out those errors, both our goals today were avoidable. I've said all along a top half finish in our first season back would be a success and I stand by that. never understood the bookies having us favourites, I suspect it's Stockport and Wrexham fresh in their mind. It's hard to say exactly where we are right now, it all looks a bit disjointed but we've players to come back and we've kept some squad spots open for free agents though so we'll see what comes of that. If we can somehow persuade Fleck to sign then him and Naylor in the middle would be stronk.
I think you will be in with a shout of the play-offs, of the 5 teams we have played so far only Notts have looked better than you tbh - it doesn't look a strong league the more games i see i think it's actually even weaker than people think if that makes sense ; I'm wondering whether there might be a suprise or 2 in terms of promotion and relegation because to me it looks wide open

Grimsby Road

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
That's not really what we're doing to be fair. We're trying to play possession based football, that's about where the similarites on the pitch end in terms of style. Different formation, different approach. Other than the match at ML, I wouldn't say we've been massively wide open. There's an element of that but's not to the extent of having wingers as wing backs and eight players piling forward every time we get the ball. You also don't need Jones and Crowley at this level. Nice to have of course but players of Rose, Vernam and JDS quality often form parts of attacks in this division that go up. We'll be midtable this season as has been said many times already.

Nobody is claiming we weren't outplayed, just that all four of the goals were very unfortunate for us. That's not stretching anything at all, it's just undeniably the truth.
All the other fixtures we have bossed for a lot of the game though Fleetwood , Bradford , Cheltenham and for periods today had them on the back foot for long spells . If every game was like Notts i would be worried but 1 game being dominated by probably one of the best teams in the division doesn't worry me tbh

Grimsby Road

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Our goals were lucky for sure, it was also an incredibly one sided game from kick-off until full-time and 4-1 was about a fair reflection. I mean after the fourth it was basically this for the last half an hour:

View attachment 20713

We were never going to get anything against you unless we were very lucky or got a couple of the types of decisions you got , you were clearly a step up from us I don't think anyone who watched that game can dispute that really ; if i continue to see games like the other one's I have seen though might it just be a case you are a step up from every team in the league barring 1 or 2 and we are not actually that bad ?

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC

If you conceded four goals because of misfortune but could easily have conceded another 4+ on another day the claims of being unfortunate becomes pretty much null and void and rather misleading.

Not that it matters, unfortunate with goals conceded, unfortunate with the number of injuries. It's all common in the world of football.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
All the other fixtures we have bossed for a lot of the game though Fleetwood , Bradford , Cheltenham and for periods today had them on the back foot for long spells . If every game was like Notts i would be worried but 1 game being dominated by probably one of the best teams in the division doesn't worry me tbh

Which shouldn't be one of the best teams in the division with a Part Time head coach.

Very early days.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Good news then because that isn’t what we’ve been doing

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I agree with SoC, I wouldn't say Grimsby were wide open at any point today. They just looked to pass rather than hoof. It was individual errors for the goals rather than a system issue.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
We were never going to get anything against you unless we were very lucky or got a couple of the types of decisions you got , you were clearly a step up from us I don't think anyone who watched that game can dispute that really ; if i continue to see games like the other one's I have seen though might it just be a case you are a step up from every team in the league barring 1 or 2 and we are not actually that bad ?
A lot of truth in that. Most of us don't really get a neutral perspective, we watch our team each week and compare every other team against our own.

Reaction score
Supports
Notts
Great win. Good solid start even if we have been fortunate.

Didzy doing the business when we need him to. We have also conceded very little XG so far which is quite interesting and probably the biggest change from last season. Again it's early but in amongst the unconvincing performances there is some encouraging albeit early data
Definitely a positive start, but I don't think we've played anyone who will be top 7 yet which was our big issue last season. I'm not complaining, I think we needed this start to give the manager some confidence and the fans some confidence in the manager.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
What pleased me today is that for the first time we looked a level above the opposition. We have some real quality, especially in attacking areas, but it feels like workrate and pressing hasn't matched that.

Tolaj and Stockley made a real difference today, Newport just couldn't handle them. Byers was the calm player with ability that we need in midfield. It really could and should have been 7 or 8 but for the fact that we weren't sure how best to play against 9 men.

We were 4-1 up anyway at the time of the first red card, so the game was won but I thought their first red was a bit soft. The second was just crazy....their player should be reprimanded by the club for being so stupid.

Not sure what to make of Newport as they just had a really poor day but passing it around the back at league 2 level is asking for trouble....the players simply aren't good enough.
Moore finally realised that we can’t defend so play to our strength and attack.

Tolaj was superb today and Stockley that target man we have been missing, really like BBB as well, he has all the trickery but can also deliver a quality ball at the end of it.

Hopefully that’s our “FGR” moment like the last promotion season and we can push on now. Need to see a real performance at home though so next week is a big one now.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Definitely a positive start, but I don't think we've played anyone who will be top 7 yet which was our big issue last season. I'm not complaining, I think we needed this start to give the manager some confidence and the fans some confidence in the manager.
Agree with this, the fixture list has been kind to us. Timing is everything.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

View attachment 20713

Who said we were the better side on balance in our game?
Nobody that I’ve seen anyway.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Chesterfield a bit more cloggery than I was expecting tbh. Midtable for them if that's their standard. Imagine they've got a bit more about than they showed today though.
Well mate we played liquid football against Swindon, Salford and Gills and ended up with a grand total of 2 points from those 3 games so I’ll take that cloggery every day of the week if it results in 3 points!

I agree though we weren’t brilliant today, probably our poorest performance of the season so far with the ball (we didn’t get dominated at all though by any stretch of the imagination and the stats back that up too), but we’ve found a way to win even with 10 men for half hour even when nowhere near our best so I’m okay with that today.

We also normally stink the gaff out when playing Grimsby at home so it was at least an improvement on that

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
A woeful afternoon, defence down to the bare bones before today. Then get 2CBs sent off and right back injured. Vale were decent but we made it easy - Stockley ran riot, good player still. Couldn’t see the 1at red card incident,2nd red Jameson got pissed off with a fat lad in the Vale end who kept throwing the spare ball back on preventing our throw in. Straight red seemed harsh.

For what it’s worth I think the decider in the game was always who got the next goal after halftime. You get it and I’ve no doubt we are likely having a different conversation. You looked good going forward to be fair just as you say contributed to your own downfall a bit such as giving it away knocking it around the back on that third goal for us.

We Are Sailing

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Well mate we played liquid football against Swindon, Salford and Gills and ended up with a grand total of 2 points from those 3 games so I’ll take that cloggery every day of the week if it results in 3 points!

I agree though we weren’t brilliant today, probably our poorest performance of the season so far with the ball (we didn’t get dominated at all though by any stretch of the imagination and the stats back that up too), but we’ve found a way to win even with 10 men for half hour even when nowhere near our best so I’m okay with that today.

We also normally stink the gaff out when playing Grimsby at home so it was at least an improvement on that
This is true. Recent years we've been shockingly bad against grimsby at home. We weren't great today but I think we just about edged it.

Grigg missing a chance my nan would have buried made it nervier than it needed to be.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
This is true. Recent years we've been shockingly bad against grimsby at home. We weren't great today but I think we just about edged it.

Grigg missing a chance my nan would have buried made it nervier than it needed to be.
Was that the one off the bar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betpaddi

Latest posts

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!