Saturday 21st September

Reaction score
Supports
Notts
I think that attendance figure is wrong for the record, definitely said 11500 or so on the screen anyway

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I really don't know how to judge us at the moment.

At half-time I said it was the typical Cheltenham peformance for this season - no shortage of effort but lacking massively in the quality department.

Defensively we're quite sound - whilst Chesterfield dominated the game, they had very few shots on goal - save for pot shots from outside the box (and Dobra's absolute sitter of course). The biggest issue is in creativity - we're dependant upon mistakes by the other team. Like yesterday when the keeper decided to help us out by coming a million miles off his line.

Injuries in our wing-back/full-back areas are starting to become an issue now though. Haynes is out for 3-4 months, and AJB did his hamstring in scoring our equaliser.

Hopefully it's not too bad, but we're slowly working things out. Lower mid-table looks likely.
How is Sam Stubbs doing for you?

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Barrow have got some really decent players. The test will come through the winter, when fixtures and injuries pile up. Do they have enough depth to maintain it? I'm hoping we've finally addressed our depth. It made a big difference for us today, as Accrington were knackered and we brought some decent players off the bench. Another 5 minutes and we win that.

We're dealing with a few injuries already, those that have come in to replace the normal starters are doing a decent job so far.

gary

Reaction score
Supports
afc wimbledon
It's early day's but I see no reason as to why Wimbledon can't finish in the top 7 and i expect us to do so . Obviously the caveat to that is not picking up too many injuries. The obvious candidate's to be up there as ever are the bigger budget team's with better squad depth. This league is just a long bloody grind.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Can't call this league at all this season. Which will surprise many as it has been said I do give off the impression that I know everything.

Will be loads of twists and turns over 9 months. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
It's early day's but I see no reason as to why Wimbledon can't finish in the top 7 and i expect us to do so . Obviously the caveat to that is not picking up too many injuries. The obvious candidate's to be up there as ever are the bigger budget team's with better squad depth. This league is just a long bloody grind.
You will definitely be hard to beat on the evidence of yesterday. Not much finesse, but just the type of players to get you out of this league.

As you say though injuries to key men can have a bearing. After losing 2 players to injury yesterday, we now have 8 out injured.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Can't call this league at all this season. Which will surprise many as it has been said I do give off the impression that I know everything.

Will be loads of twists and turns over 9 months. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Did you get around to confirming the bookmaker and odds for your Dave Artell sacked next bet?

I might have slipped past me Stocky but I can't see a response to the questions.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Did you get around to confirming the bookmaker and odds for your Dave Artell sacked next bet?

I might have slipped past me Stocky but I can't see a response to the questions.
478 BetX. A cracking little made up Chinese betting company. Think it was about 10 Yuan mate which is about £1 pound sterling.

It has unfortunately cost me a lot more as my bank account has been cleaned out this morning.

Spireitelass97

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Our aim was the now infamous '8 through the gate' which for 20 plus years we never achieved and tbh rarely got close.

We didn't achieve it until we were in Non League. Since then it's gone up and up. It's unbelievable and brilliant to see.
Sames happened to us since we went out league. Went down to around 3000, we now get 7-8-9 thousand a game. Now loads of kids/families coming and wearing shirts round town. Getting rid of toxic owners does wonders (and starting to win a bit of course!)

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

Looks a bit of a tougher league this season on the whole. I don't think there'll be a single side as good as any of last season's three automatic promotion winners but the rest of the division seems to have tightened up. Definitely a more interesting season ahead and as you say, more difficult to call. Stockport did well to get out of the easiest L2 ever last season but you really have to tip your hat to Wrexham who have ridden the crest of the easiest ever 4th and 5th tier seasons all the way to a double promotion.

gary

Reaction score
Supports
afc wimbledon
You will definitely be hard to beat on the evidence of yesterday. Not much finesse, but just the type of players to get you out of this league.

As you say though injuries to key men can have a bearing. After losing 2 players to injury yesterday, we now have 8 out injured.
We can play when we want to. We had Jake Reeves missing yesterday . He controls the game for us.. He sets the tempo in the middle of the park and gets us playing a bit.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Looks a bit of a tougher league this season on the whole. I don't think there'll be a single side as good as any of last season's three automatic promotion winners but the rest of the division seems to have tightened up. Definitely a more interesting season ahead and as you say, more difficult to call. Stockport did well to get out of the easiest L2 ever last season but you really have to tip your hat to Wrexham who have ridden the crest of the easiest ever 4th and 5th tier seasons all the way to a double promotion.
Wrexham are on a different level financially. Matter of time before they're in the Championship. We held the wolf (or the dragon) from the door temporarily last season to finish above them but they'll be above us this season. They've got solid Championship and proven League One players with probably the 2nd or 3rd L1 budget (unsure on Huddersfield's figures). We are well backed but our market is mostly young players who looked good in League 2 like Fevrier, Bate, Mingi, Addai or young players who have dipped their toe in L1 and showed promise but not cracked it like Fiorini, Diamond. Different markets to be honest.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Thought as much.
You take things far too literally mate.

No Grimsby fan I interact with on here honestly believed I'd signed up to Ladbrokes or whatever, put a bet on David Artell to be sacked and them come on here and with a straight face told them to start kicking off in the ground to help me win a tenner.

I always do try and make it fairly obvious when I'm not being entirely serious.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
You take things far too literally mate.

No Grimsby fan I interact with on here honestly believed I'd signed up to Ladbrokes or whatever, put a bet on David Artell to be sacked and them come on here and with a straight face told them to start kicking off in the ground to help me win a tenner.

I always do try and make it fairly obvious when I'm not being entirely serious.

No, nobody did. Pretty confident most people know your schtick by now.

All it seemed to do was reinforce Grimsby fans view that you are obsessed with David Artell. He's too meh to be obsessed over but each to their own.

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
I disagree massively, last season we wouldn’t have created enough to miss 5 chances from 6 yards out, we’d have just passed the ball around for 90 minutes and not caused them any trouble…then given the ball away in our own third which we didn’t do at all I don’t think.

Fair comment, but I don’t think Gillingham are anywhere near as good as the top three last season, so it would make sense that we’re able to create more opportunities against them. The pattern of the game looked familiar though especially the first 20 odd minutes of the second half when we put them under no pressure whatsoever.

I think we are obviously better than last season defensively. Going forward it looks like we’re going to be heavily reliant on 4 players. One of whom looks like he might be out for a while, one is 36, one misses plenty of games for various different reasons, and the other one who creates stuff but without the other 3 who’s going to take advantage?

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
The concussion injury to Jatta was unfortunate and has been unexpectedly lengthy. As mentioned Jones is always likely to booted about and pick up knocks. So no surprise there. Even when out we have Crowley.

McGoldrick is indeed 36 but still class as we have already seen this season. Needs to be managed correctly but very useful.

Brown is still clearly an unknown but hopefully will positively contribute.

Then there is Scott, who I'm unconvinced about but 4th choice forward so not a worry.

If we play one up front as we have, I think we are well covered. If we plan two then we are a player short.

And yes defensively we look far better, almost impossible not to after last season's comedy show.

Yesterday was a decent performance and delighted to see the vast majority of Notts fans also think so despite the unfortunate defeat.

Spireitelass97

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Today was so, so frustrating. Probably the 4th time I’ve said that this season, when considering we’ve only played 7 games is bloody impressive… :ffs: Saw the Cheltenham gaffer called it an ‘unbelievable’ point for them, and tbh I think that’s an understatement in the balance of play.

90% of what we’re doing currently has been excellent to say we’re new to the division. We’ve dominated 6 out of the 7 games, we’re scoring in virtually every game….But at the moment somethings just not happening for us to get over the line in some of these games. It’s actually criminal that form the 7 games we only have 2 wins. Absolute carbon copy of the Swindon and Salford home games that one today. Never looked in any danger of conceding at any point, should have been 2/3 up by the time their one and only chance came, and just like that it’s 1-1. The goal conceded today was the worst of the lot mind, the most basic ridiculous goal to concede out of absolutely nothing other than a long hopefully punted clearance upfield from our own throw deep in Cheltenhams half… wtf is Boot doing all that way out, just leave Gordon to deal with it ffs. I’ll let him off because he’s been excellent, but that was a moment of madness from him.

It’s so annoying because in general our defending has been miles better than last year, which was always going to be case with the improvements we made to it over the summer, and we haven’t conceded more than 1 goal in any game… but at the moment these one off lapses are costing us. Alongside us not being as clinical as we should be at the other end too mind… Dobra’s sitter today blew my mind, he’s normally slotting that with his eyes closed.

Anyway the positives…. Our goal was brilliant play from Berry, great run into the box going past 2/3 Cheltenham players and then laying on a plate for Markanday. Fleck was on the bench for the first time, so he’s one step closer. Colclough returned, and he looked as sharp as ever. Firmly believe he is our best player when he’s fit and flying, he is absolutely impossible to defend against one on one. Madden also made his debut after the calf injury he picked up in pre season, and despite only playing for 10 minutes I thought he showed some good moments, glad to have him back available. Thought Dobra was unplayable, but I just can’t get that miss out my mind after Colcloughs put it on a plate for him.

I’m still very confident in this team though. As I say, just not happening for us at the moment, but we’re only going to get stronger now that bodies are coming back… roll on the Donny (A) next week backed by 3,000 + blues
This is pretty much everything I was going to say. We’re not a million miles away but somethings not quite gelling yet. Drummond unfortunately nowhere near ready to be leading the line.

I dislike Madden from his days as an opposition player but he impressed me when he got a touch and will obviously improve us.

Colclough being back should make a huge difference but hard to drop Berry atm.

Boot….oh dear. Hope people don’t use a stupid error to turn against him, he’s been great otherwise as you say.

Looking forward to Donny away next week. We need to be at our best but should be a good atmosphere.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Sames happened to us since we went out league. Went down to around 3000, we now get 7-8-9 thousand a game. Now loads of kids/families coming and wearing shirts round town. Getting rid of toxic owners does wonders (and starting to win a bit of course!)
I doubt we would double our gates to 32000 if we went out of the league and came back!.

It's interesting that clubs such as yours and Notts County appear to be doing so.

I remember going back to 1996 and Notts Co only brought 8000 to Wembley for their 3rd tier play off final against ourselves.

Spireitelass97

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I really don't know how to judge us at the moment.

At half-time I said it was the typical Cheltenham peformance for this season - no shortage of effort but lacking massively in the quality department.

Defensively we're quite sound - whilst Chesterfield dominated the game, they had very few shots on goal - save for pot shots from outside the box (and Dobra's absolute sitter of course). The biggest issue is in creativity - we're dependant upon mistakes by the other team. Like yesterday when the keeper decided to help us out by coming a million miles off his line.

Injuries in our wing-back/full-back areas are starting to become an issue now though. Haynes is out for 3-4 months, and AJB did his hamstring in scoring our equaliser.

Hopefully it's not too bad, but we're slowly working things out. Lower mid-table looks likely.
You must have been chuffed with that absolute gift from Boot

Your defenders were sold tbf. Bullied Drummond out the game (they’d have had more problems if Grigg wasn’t injured & playing). They spent too much time on floor pretending to be injured though. Thought we’d left that shit in national league

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
It was 9,000 and a frankly embarrassing following almost but not quite justifiable for a variety of legit reasons. How we reached the final that season I will never know.

Fast forward to National League play off final against Chesterfield and we take 23,000.

Spireitelass97

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
It was 9,000 and a frankly embarrassing following almost but not quite justifiable for a variety of legit reasons. How we reached the final that season I will never know.

Fast forward to National League play off final against Chesterfield and we take 23,000.
But made less noise than us with 10,000 less fans

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
I doubt we would double our gates to 32000 if we went out of the league and came back!.

It's interesting that clubs such as yours and Notts County appear to be doing so.

I remember going back to 1996 and Notts Co only brought 8000 to Wembley for their 3rd tier play off final against ourselves.
There was absolutely no belief we were going up. We sold our top scorer Devon White when top of the league and flying and it completely destroyed us. We had relegation from from January and went down the next season, sank like a stone.
That's why nobody turned up, we should have but we'd been spoilt with numerous visits in recent years.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
But made less noise than us with 10,000 less fans

Shock horror the team that was never losing in the 120 minutes and was winning it for large periods sang more

Obviously we were going to take more to Wembley but didn't think we would outnumber Chesterfield by so much (over 8000).

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Wrexham are on a different level financially. Matter of time before they're in the Championship. We held the wolf (or the dragon) from the door temporarily last season to finish above them but they'll be above us this season. They've got solid Championship and proven League One players with probably the 2nd or 3rd L1 budget (unsure on Huddersfield's figures). We are well backed but our market is mostly young players who looked good in League 2 like Fevrier, Bate, Mingi, Addai or young players who have dipped their toe in L1 and showed promise but not cracked it like Fiorini, Diamond. Different markets to be honest.

Agreed generally but Norwood was very much a Wrexhamesque signing.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
There was absolutely no belief we were going up. We sold our top scorer Devon White when top of the league and flying and it completely destroyed us. We had relegation from from January and went down the next season, sank like a stone.
That's why nobody turned up, we should have but we'd been spoilt with numerous visits in recent years.
I must admit, that was one big game where I was so confident of winning from the minute I stepped into Wembley. It just seemed never in doubt for us that day and your fans and team didn't seem up for it at all.

The early goal for us meant we were never going to be troubled that day either

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Agreed that generic hugely popular chant although very effective at making good noise was very tiresome during the game. Especially with both sides singing it. Not enough of the classic Wheelbarrow song for my liking.

Although after we broke their hearts in a penalty shootout I really enjoyed singing it.

Certainly wasn't a dull game for the neutral.

Nothing comes close to the vuvuzelas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leomary2000

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!