joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
CM:
Tom Naylor
Darren Oldaker
Ollie Banks
Tim Akinola (New signing - Al-Bidda Qatar)
Mike Jones
Oddly, while I thought you had really good midfield options in the National League I think you're a bit light a level up. Naylor is a player, but I don't think Oldaker or Banks are anything other than ok in this league. Akinola a technically proficient player but not convinced on him physically, and I'd be stunned if Mike Jones can have a positive impact at his age. I think elsewhere you look solid though, a lot of faith placed in the elder statesmen in the squad.

RavenBish

Antihero
Reaction score
Supports
Shola Ameobi's Notts County
I have this mental conundrum where I’m thoroughly underwhelmed by Notts’ squad, think Chesterfield will finish higher than us but also wouldn’t swap our squad for theirs at all (and I’m not really factoring Cook vs Maynard into any of that). Not sure how to reconcile that really.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
I’d have played Baldwin on the right more. He’s a fantastic one-on-one defender so can do that bit of the wide role really well, and it means there should be someone behind him when he does inevitably fall over the ball/try and nutmeg someone.

It got to the point he was an embarrassment last season, but I still think he could have a good career. Huge season for him.
Really? We had to move him inside during games last season as his positioning was so bad. He can do one on one marking and has plenty of pace to dig himself out of his own holes at times but I never thought he looked a safe pair of hands on the right.
He has everything but concentration to be better than L2 and fully agree it's a defining season for him.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Oddly, while I thought you had really good midfield options in the National League I think you're a bit light a level up. Naylor is a player, but I don't think Oldaker or Banks are anything other than ok in this league. Akinola a technically proficient player but not convinced on him physically, and I'd be stunned if Mike Jones can have a positive impact at his age. I think elsewhere you look solid though, a lot of faith placed in the elder statesmen in the squad.
Naylors that good that you only need an ‘ok’ league 2 level player next to him. All seriousness though, Oldaker & Banks are technically very good players even at this level (I’ve watched enough football at this level & the one above to know that) and with a player of Naylor’s quality next to them, both can do well a level up.

Banks was only here a couple of seasons back and he scored 9 goals from midfield in a Barrow side weaker than our current team

Also just clocked your comment on Akinola. He’s a physical beast so find that one slightly odd?
Very quick, strong, athletic & very strong in the tackle. Strangely I’d actually view him the opposite to you, in that I’ve got 0 doubts about him physically, and it’s more his technical side of the game (e.g. is he able to control a game at this level from deep that Cook likes to see from his deep midfielders?) where I’d question him as a starter.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
I have this mental conundrum where I’m thoroughly underwhelmed by Notts’ squad, think Chesterfield will finish higher than us but also wouldn’t swap our squad for theirs at all (and I’m not really factoring Cook vs Maynard into any of that). Not sure how to reconcile that really.
I’d have our squad over yours every single day of the week

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Our squad is short of numbers to get us to the next window if anything goes wrong and think we definitely need a striker who can press with some pace but the players we have should make top seven.
It's all down to Maynard doing better than he's shown so far.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
No offence mate but you're an apologist for the Sparks/Rupp regime so I wouldn't be calling other fans thick.

Oh, none taken.

At the same time, I refuse to blame two individuals in the boardroom for sub-par pitch performances.

Each to their own.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Our squad is short of numbers to get us to the next window if anything goes wrong and think we definitely need a striker who can press with some pace but the players we have should make top seven.
It's all down to Maynard doing better than he's shown so far.

This seems to be the popular view, but I’m not sure it’s right. We’ve got 21 senior players (plus Stone), and two youngsters who are likely to play a small part in Sanderson and Reynolds. Reckon that’s pretty standard, particularly as I’d be amazed if we didn’t add another forward before the end of the window.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Cook rotates from week to week, so I think 4 will rotate around Naylor based on what we need in that game. Combative game where we'll need to do some defending, I can still see Cook giving Jones the nod. He's dependable and reads the game so well. I'd be surprised if he starts more than 10-12 games this year though, plus 10-15 sub appearances when we're defending a 1 goal lead or something, but he's a professional who looks after himself so he'll be able to do that. Geezer's only 36 after all, he's not out there getting quotes for a Stannah stair lift and queuing up for his bus pass. I'd expect Oldaker to play there most early on, with Banks coming in if it looks like the level is a bit too much for Oldaker. Oldaker is a great passer of the ball but I worry a little about his urgency and mobility in a more physically demanding league. Proof will be in the pudding, though. Akinola to come in when we need legs and energy.
I'm excited about what a raring to go Colclough, pre-seasoned Jacobs and Dobra will do to teams, though. Berry off the bench I think will be big this year too, that boy is a weapon.

Reaction score
Supports
Notts
This seems to be the popular view, but I’m not sure it’s right. We’ve got 21 senior players (plus Stone), and two youngsters who are likely to play a small part in Sanderson and Reynolds. Reckon that’s pretty standard, particularly as I’d be amazed if we didn’t add another forward before the end of the window.
I think it just looks loads worse with potentially the two starting midfielders out which is affecting people's opinions. Then the other options are unknowns, or Austin who probably isn't good enough as a starter for challenging promotion.

I do probably overvalue this, but if we brought in another CM, they've either got to be at worst the third best player there or they're not going to play that often, so you're pretty limited in what's available.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Cook rotates from week to week, so I think 4 will rotate around Naylor based on what we need in that game. Combative game where we'll need to do some defending, I can still see Cook giving Jones the nod. He's dependable and reads the game so well. I'd be surprised if he starts more than 10-12 games this year though, plus 10-15 sub appearances when we're defending a 1 goal lead or something, but he's a professional who looks after himself so he'll be able to do that. Geezer's only 36 after all, he's not out there getting quotes for a Stannah stair lift and queuing up for his bus pass. I'd expect Oldaker to play there most early on, with Banks coming in if it looks like the level is a bit too much for Oldaker. Oldaker is a great passer of the ball but I worry a little about his urgency and mobility in a more physically demanding league. Proof will be in the pudding, though. Akinola to come in when we need legs and energy.
I'm excited about what a raring to go Colclough, pre-seasoned Jacobs and Dobra will do to teams, though. Berry off the bench I think will be big this year too, that boy is a weapon.

Agree with most of that. My main concerns with the squad really is the age of the spine of the team.

Dunkley 32 turns 33 this year
Grimes 33 turns 34 this year
Naylor just turned 33
Grigg just turned 33
Madden 34 (will turn 35 this season)

We do have some younger players in the squad which balance it off - but I do worry about longevity in this squad with our bigger players.

Don't get me wrong - Jack Lester was 32 when he joined and we got 200 appearances and 6 glorious years out of him - but it is a concern.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Agree with most of that. My main concerns with the squad really is the age of the spine of the team.

Naylor just turned 33
Grigg just turned 33

We do have some younger players in the squad which balance it off - but I do worry about longevity in this squad with our bigger players.

Don't get me wrong - Jack Lester was 32 when he joined and we got 200 appearances and 6 glorious years out of him - but it is a concern.
The modern player can go on a lot longer than they used to. Look at Mike Jones for instance, 36 but without doubt one of the fittest in the squad.

I actually think the experience within our squad is key, and we have plenty of youthful enthusiasm around that spine who are constantly learning from these experienced players that have been successful. As long as there is a plan in place to gradually replace our older players over the next few years it’s nothing to worry about. If they were all 35 / 36 I’d be concerned.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
The modern player can go on a lot longer than they used to. Look at Mike Jones for instance, 36 but without doubt one of the fittest in the squad.

I actually think the experience within our squad is key, and we have plenty of youthful enthusiasm around that spine who are constantly learning from these experienced players that have been successful. As long as there is a plan in place to gradually replace our older players over the next few years it’s nothing to worry about. If they were all 35 / 36 I’d be concerned.
That is true, but it still worries me. I am sure there is a plan to replace the above mentioned players over time. Personally, I'd have really liked to have seen a young LCB come in as an under study to Grimes. Suppose having Williams and Palmer here doesn't help.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
That is true, but it still worries me. I am sure there is a plan to replace the above mentioned players over time. Personally, I'd have really liked to have seen a young LCB come in as an under study to Grimes. Suppose having Williams and Palmer here doesn't help.
I do see what you're saying, but I reckon Dunkley is the best signing we've made, he looks colossal. I'd be looking to upgrade Grimes before Dunks. My main issues going in are CB cover, keeper situation and whether a few of the squad players from NL can make the step. Reasonably happy with where we're at though, we should be competitive.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Our current squad would now be, with the kids in italics:

Goalkeepers
Matt Macey
Tom Smith

Defenders
Tom Flanagan
Ben Goodliffe
Rob Hunt
Mandela Egbo
Ellis Iandolo
Fiacre Kelleher
Will Greenidge
Frankie Terry

Midfielders
Teddy Bishop
Jack Payne
Arthur Read
Matt Jay
Alex Woodyard
Alfie Bendle
Milton Oni

Wingers
Harry Anderson
John-Kymani Gordon
Owura Edwards
Oscar Thorn

Forwards
Lyle Taylor
Tom Hopper
Samson Tovide
Bradley Ihionvien

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I do see what you're saying, but I reckon Dunkley is the best signing we've made, he looks colossal. I'd be looking to upgrade Grimes before Dunks. My main issues going in are CB cover, keeper situation and whether a few of the squad players from NL can make the step. Reasonably happy with where we're at though, we should be competitive.

Yeah been really impressed with Dunkley - looks an absolute Machine.

Agree re. upgrading Grimes - be interesting to see how he deals with the step up in League - I am a fan of his though.

GK situation is an odd one. Fully expect Harry Tyrer to be our player in a week or so.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Yeah been really impressed with Dunkley - looks an absolute Machine.

Agree re. upgrading Grimes - be interesting to see how he deals with the step up in League - I am a fan of his though.

GK situation is an odd one. Fully expect Harry Tyrer to be our player in a week or so.
It's awkward with the keepers int it, because if we want cover for Boot going into tomorrow, we need to register Blackman today really. Otherwise we'll have not only take it on trust that Everton will release Tyrer, but also go into league games relying on the youth keeper as our backup whilst we wait. What if Everton turn around after the start of the season and go, yea we've had a offer from a L1 team now sithee. We're in a mini pickle then.

RavenBish

Antihero
Reaction score
Supports
I think it just looks loads worse with potentially the two starting midfielders out which is affecting people's opinions. Then the other options are unknowns, or Austin who probably isn't good enough as a starter for challenging promotion.

I do probably overvalue this, but if we brought in another CM, they've either got to be at worst the third best player there or they're not going to play that often, so you're pretty limited in what's available.

Ultimately think your view of our squad comes down to how you see Scott and Austin. If you don’t see either of them as huge drop offs from Didzy and Crowley then I think you’re relatively content - I personally think they’re bottom half L2 players at best and therefore we’re completely screwed if McGoldrick, Jatta or Crowley have any meaningful dip in form or injury.

Also think so much of last season we had no attacking threat on the bench - I think Tsaroulla and Nemane/Gordon half solve that.

Basically, add literally one attacking option Notts and my view completely changes

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
It's awkward with the keepers int it, because if we want cover for Boot going into tomorrow, we need to register Blackman today really. Otherwise we'll have not only take it on trust that Everton will release Tyrer, but also go into league games relying on the youth keeper as our backup whilst we wait. What if Everton turn around after the start of the season and go, yea we've had a offer from a L1 team now sithee. We're in a mini pickle then.

Is there a minimum length contract we have to offer now we are back in the EFL?

Wonder if we could give Blackman a month.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
We've no real back up keeper and we must surely want to sign a striker as Scott is entirely unproven, McGoldrick is old and Jatta seems prone to niggling injuries.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County

Naylor just turned 33
Grigg just turned 33

That's going to ask a lot of them as the season turns into an attritional grind. It's a bit of a cliche but there's no easy games, certainly compared to the NL where there are a few gimme fixtures.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
We've no real back up keeper and we must surely want to sign a striker as Scott is entirely unproven, McGoldrick is old and Jatta seems prone to niggling injuries.

I think Slocombe or Stone are fine as back up ‘keepers, no one is going to have a particularly good reserve goalkeeper at this level. Our problem last season is they were fighting it out for first choice and we’ve sorted that out.

I do want one more forward and am pretty sure we’ll sign one, but other than that I’m pretty fine. A lot of worry seems to be ‘what if Palmer, Crowley or Jones gets injured for a long time’ which is perfectly fair, but also pretty standard. There aren’t going to be many, if any, sides who wouldn’t see a big drop off in quality if one of their best two or three players got injured.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
That's going to ask a lot of them as the season turns into an attritional grind. It's a bit of a cliche but there's no easy games, certainly compared to the NL where there are a few gimme fixtures.

Thankfully Cook rotates constantly and very rarely picks the same 11.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
I think Slocombe or Stone are fine as back up ‘keepers, no one is going to have a particularly good reserve goalkeeper at this level. Our problem last season is they were fighting it out for first choice and we’ve sorted that out.

I do want one more forward and am pretty sure we’ll sign one, but other than that I’m pretty fine. A lot of worry seems to be ‘what if Palmer, Crowley or Jones gets injured for a long time’ which is perfectly fair, but also pretty standard. There aren’t going to be many, if any, sides who wouldn’t see a big drop off in quality if one of their best two or three players got injured.
Slocombe isn't fine any more. Had a nightmare on Saturday, gifted two goals in the first fifteen minutes or so, looked ropey at Alfreton too.
Agree that if your best players get bad injuries it's very hard to compensate for long periods.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We’ve finally confirmed captaincy after Nathan Smith had it removed…

No shock fans favourite Ben Garrity gets it… works hard and connected with the fans being late to the game and working up… expected league one clubs to take him the summer so a huge coup to keep him.

George Byers and Connor Hall vice captains.

RavenBish

Antihero
Reaction score
Supports
Thankfully Cook rotates constantly and very rarely picks the same 11.

Thankfully Cook was playing against part-time teams last season and could get away with that

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Thankfully Cook was playing against part-time teams last season and could get away with that
Part time teams like, say, Dorking who turned you over 3-1, then got relegated last season? The disrespect fans of promoted teams have for the NL once they get amongst 'proper teams' is something that should be studied.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Part time teams like, say, Dorking who turned you over 3-1, then got relegated last season? The disrespect fans of promoted teams have for the NL once they get amongst 'proper teams' is something that should be studied.
Short memories. Same people who would be offended when fans of league clubs would say similar when they were down there, comes across as very ill informed & dismissive

Reaction score
Supports
Notts
Ultimately think your view of our squad comes down to how you see Scott and Austin. If you don’t see either of them as huge drop offs from Didzy and Crowley then I think you’re relatively content - I personally think they’re bottom half L2 players at best and therefore we’re completely screwed if McGoldrick, Jatta or Crowley have any meaningful dip in form or injury.

Also think so much of last season we had no attacking threat on the bench - I think Tsaroulla and Nemane/Gordon half solve that.

Basically, add literally one attacking option Notts and my view completely changes
Yeah I think this is fair enough. There seems to be a lot of faith in Scott at the club but there is very little evidence on the pitch at this level to back that up.

I might be wrong but I thought Edwards was signed with him potentially being an option at 10 as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betpaddi

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!