The BELEAGUERED Carlisle Utd Thread

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Does anyone know of any managers we could hire who are renowned for keeping clubs up in L2?

Paul Simpson kept a team in L2 against the odds 3 seasons ago. And I hear he’s available.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Paul Simpson kept a team in L2 against the odds 3 seasons ago. And I hear he’s available.

I've just remembered Keith Curle kept us up once too so he's another we could offer the job to.

Curle as director of football and Simpson as head coach would be a dream combination or vice versa.

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I always felt in control today, that Jones pop shot first half and a few straight at Walker I never felt under the cosh and it took a one in a million freak moment to bring it level.
That being said, there’s clearly more than enough quality to do well with that side, we know Lewis is more than good enough, Wyke and Jones are starters in pretty much every side in this league.
A fresh voice and a couple of wins to get over last seasons hangover there’s no way that side finishes below half way.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
The harsh reality is Carlisle pretty much begin games two goals down, and most of the time this season it is two goals gifted, until that is addressed the best Carlisle can hope for is survival.

They really need to hunt across the free transfer market for either a new experienced centre back or proper full backs.

Build froM the back is always for me the best way to push on…….that does not mean 5 at back mass defend, just that your back line knows what the hell it’s doing.

loz

Reaction score
Supports
Citeh
I always felt in control today, that Jones pop shot first half and a few straight at Walker I never felt under the cosh and it took a one in a million freak moment to bring it level.
That being said, there’s clearly more than enough quality to do well with that side, we know Lewis is more than good enough, Wyke and Jones are starters in pretty much every side in this league.
A fresh voice and a couple of wins to get over last seasons hangover there’s no way that side finishes below half way.
agree

loz

Reaction score
Supports
Citeh
Does anyone know of any managers we could hire who are renowned for keeping clubs up in L2?
Ask Ryan Sparks, he has no difficulty in finding them.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I don’t think he’s unfit. I thought his all round performance was decent today considering the poor team he’s in. He desperately needs a goal and once he gets one I expect he’ll get a few more. Today was the second or third time he’s hit the woodwork already this season. He’s not a million miles away, just needs one to bounce in off his arse or something like that to get him going.
Based on yesterday's match, glad we didn't break the bank in terms of wages to bring Charlie Boy back.

I wouldn't swap him for the cookie monster, that's for sure

loz

Reaction score
Supports
Citeh
Based on yesterday's match, glad we didn't break the bank in terms of wages to bring Charlie Boy back.

I wouldn't swap him for the cookie monster, that's for sure
I'd have Charlie back but not on his rumoured wage.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
The harsh reality is Carlisle pretty much begin games two goals down, and most of the time this season it is two goals gifted, until that is addressed the best Carlisle can hope for is survival.

They really need to hunt across the free transfer market for either a new experienced centre back or proper full backs.

Build froM the back is always for me the best way to push on…….that does not mean 5 at back mass defend, just that your back line knows what the hell it’s doing.

We signed 3 new full backs over the summer plus two experienced centre backs in Hayden and Thomas.

We don’t need to be ploughing around looking for centre backs no one else wants, we need to bring someone in who will properly coach the ones we’ve got into a proper unit. So like you say they know what the hell they are doing.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
No we signed wing backs and while I only attended one friendly it was bloody clear at Rochdale nothing we signed seemed to actually be for actual defensive reasons.

Plus they keep shoving Mellisa there who seems to be a player in a world of his own who goes walks out everywhere with zero regard to actually covering gaps left from his walking everywhere.

This season reminds me I think it was the summer with kavanagh where we spent the summer bringing in players over the summer for a choice system that went to sh*t on game number one and left us f*cked for most of the season.

Until they stop shipping stupid goals it doesn’t matter what other areas of the pitch do, and the solution is not to shove 8 men in defence to do it.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I agree re Mellish, should be no where near professional football. But these “wing backs” we signed have all played full back previously.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Hasn't he just signed a three year deal?

Yes and it's absolutely reckless what's going on at our club right now with our new US owners who have been so naive since taking us over.
They should have sacked Simpson last season before January but stuck with him out of sympathy and blind hope. He absolutely then put us in the shit with poor signings that were big transfer fees, big contracts and big wages on players who were worth nowhere near what we paid and they've been a huge let down. If they don't improve then debt is going to start rising in this club.

Now our owners are wanting us to bring in a sporting director and head coach who will bring a philosophy of neat attacking football which is good, only the thing is we're down at the bottom of L2 and our team is super low on confidence with players who just aren't good enough.
So that's why we need a manager who will bring a quick fix and organise us to get better results in this ugly league rather than some long term philosophy or we'll be in a relegation fight.

However off the pitch our owners are doing a fantastic job, just fairly atrocious on the pitch.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
I agree re Mellish, should be no where near professional football. But these “wing backs” we signed have all played full back previously.

They were not signed as full backs they were signed up for wing backs and played as wing backs for the last 8-10 odd games with zero interest in a different style or formation of that failed. They were brought in for attack based quality not defence based hopefully if your saying they have been full backs they have some defensive ability somewhere.

Just have to hope these players take alot less time to adapt to new systems than when kavanagh left and we just had an expensive team or wasters who only ‘just’ survived.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
You can pick any manager that has been employed the last 30 years at Tranmere
Each and everyone has kept the club in lge2 all that time

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I've just remembered Keith Curle kept us up once too so he's another we could offer the job to.

Curle as director of football and Simpson as head coach would be a dream combination or vice versa.
I feel like about half of our recent managers began with a team that looked set for relegation and achieved survival... Chris Beech and Greg Abbott were also appointed in those circumstances. There are some managers that build careers out of doing just that but they're often not really the best managers and I'm sure no manager would choose that to be the thing they're known for. I think it's just the reality of the managerial market, if there's a job available mid-season then your remit is likely to be achieve survival.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
How do you solve a problem like Jon Mellish?

He is one of our most naturally gifted players: he's fit as a fiddle, can't remember a single time he's been injured, he can tackle, he can jink the ball past someone ,he's strong as an ox and can run through them too, he's fast, he can use both feet, he loves an overhead kick, he can score goals out of nowhere, he turns up in the box right on cue, he can pick out a pass, he's good in the air, he works incredibly hard, he's often the one still trying when morale dips, he's unpredictable and opponents often have no idea how to deal with him because he could pop up anywhere on the pitch at any time... I imagine them at half time gingerly peering into the laundry hamper, afraid he might be in there too, he's aggressive towards opponents, he's loyal to the club, he's probably a better keeper than Harry Lewis too.

From all that you'd think I'd just described the greatest player in the history of football but he does come with drawbacks. You can see why he's a cult hero and why bigger clubs keep trying (and failing) to prise him away from us and you can also see why he's played for us in just about every position there is. He is however a jack of all trades, tactically at least, he has the physical attributes, the skill and the mentality but if you put a lot of responsibility on him to do one thing then he'll look tactically inept, which is maybe a bit unfair, it's not like he doesn't know how to do these roles, it's just that he doesn't excel in any one particular position and he's been employed in a very flexible way almost since the day we signed him so he's never gotten used to that sort of strict tactical responsibility that you normally expect of a defender. Also he doesn't really ever look over his shoulder... that's something he should be working on.

That's why he does much better in a back three than a back two... really when we've got a back three we've actually got a back two and Mellish just plays total football... which isn't great if the other two defenders are expecting him to be in a specific location but could work if the other two centre backs know that they're the real defenders, but then that puts a lot more responsibility on them. When put into a back two then I wouldn't say he disregards his role, he's just not as experienced when it comes to being expected to be in a certain place and can look a bit uncertain of what he should be doing, whether now is the right time to charge up the pitch or whether he should just sit this attack out.

But if you've got a player with his attributes, I feel like you've got to try and find a way to use him, maybe there will be games where we can't afford to use him and he won't start every game but you can't sideline him either.

Maybe we should offer him the managerial position :fl:

Last edited:

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
How do you solve a problem like Jon Mellish?

He is one of our most naturally gifted players: he's fit as a fiddle, can't remember a single time he's been injured, he can tackle, he can jink the ball past someone ,he's strong as an ox and can run through them too, he's fast, he can use both feet, he loves an overhead kick, he can score goals out of nowhere, he turns up in the box right on cue, he can pick out a pass, he's good in the air, he works incredibly hard, he's often the one still trying when morale dips, he's unpredictable and opponents often have no idea how to deal with him because he could pop up anywhere on the pitch at any time... I imagine them at half time gingerly peering into the laundry hamper, afraid he might be in there too, he's aggressive towards opponents, he's loyal to the club, he's probably a better keeper than Harry Lewis too.

From all that you'd think I'd just described the greatest player in the history of football but he does come with drawbacks. You can see why he's a cult hero and why bigger clubs keep trying (and failing) to prise him away from us and you can also see why he's played for us in just about every position there is. He is however a jack of all trades, tactically at least, he has the physical attributes, the skill and the mentality but if you put a lot of responsibility on him to do one thing then he'll look tactically inept, which is maybe a bit unfair, it's not like he doesn't know how to do these roles, it's just that he doesn't excel in any one particular position and he's been employed in a very flexible way almost since the day we signed him so he's never gotten used to that sort of strict tactical responsibility that you normally expect of a defender. Also he doesn't really ever look over his shoulder... that's something he should be working on.

That's why he does much better in a back three than a back two... really when we've got a back three we've actually got a back two and Mellish just plays total football... which isn't great if the other two defenders are expecting him to be in a specific location but could work if the other two centre backs know that they're the real defenders, but then that puts a lot more responsibility on them. When put into a back two then I wouldn't say he disregards his role, he's just not as experienced when it comes to being expected to be in a certain place and can look a bit uncertain of what he should be doing, whether now is the right time to charge up the pitch or whether he should just sit this attack out.

But if you've got a player with his attributes, I feel like you've got to try and find a way to use him, maybe there will be games where we can't afford to use him and he won't start every game but you can't sideline him either.

Maybe we should offer him the managerial position :fl:
Are you his agent?
Wrexham have just read your first paragraph and offered 2M for him.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
with players who just aren't good enough.
So that's why we need a manager who will bring a quick fix and organise us to get better results in this ugly league rather than some long term philosophy

No no no no no no! That’s exactly what we don’t need. We don’t need any quick fixes or journeymen off the managerial merry go round who can grind out ugly results against the odds in the short term. We’ve just got rid of that type of manager.

We will stay up I’m sure, we have enough quality, we’re just in the predictable hangover stage that I and many others expected. This is a lot different to the situation and squad we had when Simpson returned. We now have some good players. What we need is a coach who will coach a style of play, coach a system and develop some patterns of play and utilise the good players we do have. If that’s what you call a philosophy then so be it.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
No no no no no no! That’s exactly what we don’t need. We don’t need any quick fixes or journeymen off the managerial merry go round who can grind out ugly results against the odds in the short term. We’ve just got rid of that type of manager.

We will stay up I’m sure, we have enough quality, we’re just in the predictable hangover stage that I and many others expected. This is a lot different to the situation and squad we had when Simpson returned. We now have some good players. What we need is a coach who will coach a style of play, coach a system and develop some patterns of play and utilise the good players we do have. If that’s what you call a philosophy then so be it.

Philosophy football only works for teams who are in a decent position to implement it and we're not. We have a losing mentality and our team is disjointed and there are too many players still here who aren't good enough so that's why we need a manager who can come in to create a team spirit and hard working group etc like what Keith Curle did that time.
He knew when we had to dig in and play ugly but also knew when it was right to play good football. Now I'm not suggesting we hire Keith Curle as he's probably past it now but someone like Pete Wild who by the way has a good record at every club he's ever been at, knows this level and for me he fits the bill.

Plus his fist pumps are epic haha.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Philosophy football only works for teams who are in a decent position to implement it and we're not. We have a losing mentality and our team is disjointed and there are too many players still here who aren't good enough so that's why we need a manager who can come in to create a team spirit and hard working group etc like what Keith Curle did that time.
He knew when we had to dig in and play ugly but also knew when it was right to play good football. Now I'm not suggesting we hire Keith Curle as he's probably past it now but someone like Pete Wild who by the way has a good record at every club he's ever been at, knows this level and for me he fits the bill.

Plus his fist pumps are epic haha.
Well that's a disagreement between you and HG that is honestly the different way round that I would have expected. I agree with HG, the players we have are good enough. This isn't like, for example Keith Curle's first season, where he inherited a load of players that Kavanagh had picked up on a weekend shopping trip.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
The thing is with Pete Wild, Carver, 99% of the fan base don’t want him, the guys on BBC Cumbria have openly said they don’t want him. Fans (the paddock in particular) would have absolutely no patience with him. If he started off slowly they’d be on his back straight away, or even if he starts well, as soon as there’s a bad run they’d be on him.

I think he’s a decent manager, just not what we need. Not the right fit at all.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
The thing is with Pete Wild, Carver, 99% of the fan base don’t want him, the guys on BBC Cumbria have openly said they don’t want him. Fans (the paddock in particular) would have absolutely no patience with him. If he started off slowly they’d be on his back straight away, or even if he starts well, as soon as there’s a bad run they’d be on him.

You'd be suprised that there's actually more fans than you think who'd like Wild to be our manager and James Phillips is one of them and I wouldn't mind him either but he's not my first choice.

My top three are Rob Elliot, Ryan Lowe and then Pete Wild.

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Surely no one comes close to Ryan Lowe? Clearly you’d expect him to hold out for something further up rather than taking the first job to come along but his CV is very impressive and would be a massive statement of intent.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

Also his time at Barrow ended poorly. I always rated him but don't want a manager who's just off the back of bottling promotion, the whole criticism of Simmo was that for all he's done in the past that proves he's a good manager he was on a poor run and that just set in. If we didn't have faith that Simmo could shake off the malaise and get back his best then why have faith that Wild can do the same?

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
You'd be suprised that there's actually more fans than you think who'd like Wild to be our manager and James Phillips is one of them and I wouldn't mind him either but he's not my first choice.

My top three are Rob Elliot, Ryan Lowe and then Pete Wild.
James Phillips has literally said on air that he doesn’t want Pete Wild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betpaddi

Latest posts

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!