Thursday 12th & Saturday 14th September

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Good win from us, but not sure they’re a very good league two team.

They will get out battled by a lot of teams if they play like that. We out ran them, over powered them and had more quality.

They probably would have scored if they actually put the ball in our box.
Out ran, overpowered and out battled tells a lot of the tale today. It's a slightly worry to me it's not the first game we've seemingly been out muscled, although definitely more obvious today. The main problem today though was just being shit going forward, we didn't create a single chance did we? I didn't see a single shot on target? Hopefully it's just a big off day and we can out it behind us. That's a big out of character thing not to create a single chance.
Defo need a striker now though if Madden isn't ready.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
That's the most impressive part of Part Time Stu this season, he is not shy in changing formation and/or players and early when things are right. Has more than Plan A.

Not the first time he's done the business. The Gambian Prince was locked loaded and ready to go.

Gills at home next up should be a very decent affair and a big crowd.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
That's the most impressive part of Part Time Stu this season, he is not shy in changing formation and/or players and early when things are right. Has more than Plan A.

Not the first time he's done the business. The Gambian Prince was locked loaded and ready to go.

Gills at home next up should be a very decent affair and a big crowd.
Think Gillingham have asked for extra tickets after selling their first allocation so we should be looking at 11,500-12,000 on Saturday.
Incredible how our attendances have just grown since the Bros takeover.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Out ran, overpowered and out battled tells a lot of the tale today. It's a slightly worry to me it's not the first game we've seemingly been out muscled, although definitely more obvious today. The main problem today though was just being shit going forward, we didn't create a single chance did we? I didn't see a single shot on target? Hopefully it's just a big off day and we can out it behind us. That's a big out of character thing not to create a single chance.
Defo need a striker now though if Madden isn't ready.

I wouldn’t dwell on today too much. Can see you have some good patterns of play when you had the ball and more often than not will create openings. Think today was just a case that Garrity and Byers won the midfield battle over the 90. It happens.

As I said at halftime hopefully Grigg going off for you was more precautionary than anything.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I wouldn’t dwell on today too much. Can see you have some good patterns of play when you had the ball and more often than not will create openings. Think today was just a case that Garrity and Byers won the midfield battle over the 90. It happens.

As I said at halftime hopefully Grigg going off for you was more precautionary than anything.
We need Naylor or Fleck or both in that midfield pronto imo

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
a few players around grigg immediately waves for physios, at first i thought it was gonna be a bad leg break or something, but he had some treatment and managed to walk off without a boot or sock on his foot. have to say ive never been that arsed about grigg playing against vale, never seems to do much.

was suprised at how small chesterfields team were, chizzy must be about 5'10 and towered over about 4 of them

Jonny12

Andy Butler is a god
Reaction score
Supports
Walsall FC
Twitter
@JonnyOwen12
We should have been two or three up at half time against Bradford but we somehow managed to go in at 1 all, entirely down to ourselves.

Second half much more even and Bradford probably deserved something. But we seem to have that *something* this season and was able to get a winner with a moment of quality from Uncle Albert. Over the moon for DJ who has had such a tough year too.

Bradford definitely looked decent, especially in that spell in the second half. Relieved Andy Cook didn't score, our fans seems to have realised that we need to give him stick after the game and not before or during.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Just home, fucking shite that was today from us. Cook’s post match has summed it up perfectly tbh, didn’t look like we could be arsed at all. Just tippy tappy bollocks and never caused Vale any kind of real problems at all. In fact, did we even have a shot on target cos I can’t remember one?
61% of ball and to do absolutely nothing with it is criminal really. Midfield and flair players were ineffective, and both Grigg & Drummond when he came on ended up isolated throughout. Worst we’ve played in a very long time though so can forgive them for a one off.

Credit to Vale, big physical and strong side that looked well drilled to me. Got their goal early on (was it offside) and then didn’t really need to do anything else and just stuck to their jobs to grind it out and take the points which were fully deserved on the day.

Grigg went off injured right at end of first half which could well be a problem if that ends up long term because although Madden is rumoured to be very close, he still wasn’t even on bench today, and I don’t think Drummond is ready to be starting games for us yet either, so that will make our striker choice next week an interesting one.

Onto the nextttt

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Think Gillingham have asked for extra tickets after selling their first allocation so we should be looking at 11,500-12,000 on Saturday.
Incredible how our attendances have just grown since the Bros takeover.

Amen brother. Depending on the away following it will surely be 12,000+

There has been sizeable increases in home attendances at many clubs in the lower leagues which is great to see but ours have been above and beyond. Even though it's consistent and a regular thing now I still can't get used to it. The whole match day experience now transformed , the fanbase demographic is transformed and it's all down to our unambitious owners

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Only caught a few mins but two centre halves off injured, penalty given away, miss an open goal to lead and lose in the last minute… Alexander pinning it on the ref but I didn’t see enough to agree or not.

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Awful view from the away end so not sure what happened in the first 10 minutes, but the other 80 were very good. Limited Bromley to one half chance in the second half which we’d have never done last season and the quality up front did the rest.

Hard not to get carried away but maybe good that we’ve got a decent side to play next week so hopefully no complacency.

loz

Reaction score
Supports
Citeh
Only caught a few mins but two centre halves off injured, penalty given away, miss an open goal to lead and lose in the last minute… Alexander pinning it on the ref but I didn’t see enough to agree or not.
The penalty decision was poor but we can't blame the ref for our missed chances and poor decisions, We have now lost 2 away games and our management decisions need to be questioned in both of them. When a game is passing a player by, you give them 55mins, put your arm around them and say we go again next week. To give Odour 80 mins and Bobby P only 10 was bizarre.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Midfield and flair players were ineffective, and both Grigg & Drummond when he came on ended up isolated throughout. Worst we’ve played in a very long time though so can forgive them for a one off.
Dobra was dominated hard wasn't he. Garrity I think it was was incredibly tight, never once allowed Dobs to turn and on the rare time it looked like he might he just cynical fouled him. Markanday very very quiet too, closely marked. Did their homework.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Be interesting to see how Fleck performs. His ability should not be in this division. Hope his luck turns around.
Apparently he looks really good and we've only got him because he's well settled in the Sheffield area and didn't want to move. That could just be spin of course, proof will be in the pudding I guess.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Dobra was dominated hard wasn't he. Garrity I think it was was incredibly tight, never once allowed Dobs to turn and on the rare time it looked like he might he just cynical fouled him. Markanday very very quiet too, closely marked. Did their homework.
They all just kept picking the ball up too deep it was so frustrating to watch. If they’d have picked the ball up 15/20 yard further up the pitch as they normally do they’d have caused problems for the opposition, as they always do, but just didn’t happen. As you say credit defo goes to Vale for their bit in stopping us doing that with their press and physicality, no complaints from me about the result today.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
They all just kept picking the ball up too deep it was so frustrating to watch. If they’d have picked the ball up 15/20 yard further up the pitch as they normally do they’d have caused problems for the opposition, as they always do, but just didn’t happen. As you say credit defo goes to Vale for their bit in stopping us doing that with their press and physicality, no complaints from me about the result today.
I suspect they dropped deeper because they were so closely marked tbh. I'm sure this league has got a LOT more physical in the last 5, 6 years since were were last in it though. Most of thee teams we've played so far have been big big teams who press hard and mark tight. I don't recall is being as big and physical as this, unless I'm just misremembering.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Last season we were weak so it’s something we’ve certainly improved.

After Doncaster where our two man midfield got over run and three man central defence was too exposed we cried out for 4-2-3-1 so we can get our midfield quality on the pitch and gain control of games and it’s been proven right the last two games.

Felt we high pressed well, left Dunkley to have possession then pressed as soon as he tried to pass out and for the first 25 minutes it barely got out our half, it also meant Chesterfield never had any real spells of pressure which helped us see it out.

Most pleasing was the right and left back, seen as a weakness Kyle John signed after a trial after leaving Everton and looks a real find, was outstanding today and only about his 4th senior league start.

Opposite side was even more pleasing in Brandon Cover, technically a midfielder signed on loan making only his third senior career start he absolutely pocketed their 18 Berry? Who I think is highly rated so he can take massive confidence from that. Covering the injury crisis we have in those positions they’ve done well.

Great to finally see a home win this year (I missed the only other one!) and see the ground bouncing through injury time to see us over the line.

Two great results and a funny game considering how down we all were just 8 days ago, we seem to have finally clicked and it’s critical now we press on into the forth coming fixtures to try and cement ourselves at the top end of the division.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
I suspect they dropped deeper because they were so closely marked tbh. I'm sure this league has got a LOT more physical in the last 5, 6 years since were were last in it though. Most of thee teams we've played so far have been big big teams who press hard and mark tight. I don't recall is being as big and physical as this, unless I'm just misremembering.
I don't know if it's changed or you just get used to NL standard that has physically weaker players in it.
You sound like us last season, attractive but sometimes dominated and looking small and a bit lightweight.
Every player we've signed this summer has been physically big and strong, I would guess as a conscious decision.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I don't know if it's changed or you just get used to NL standard that has physically weaker players in it.
You sound like us last season, attractive but sometimes dominated and looking small and a bit lightweight.
Every player we've signed this summer has been physically big and strong, I would guess as a conscious decision.
You see, logic would say the NL has big guys who try and bully and keep it tight and stuff, to make up for a lack of ability, and a higher level has more open technical style. But the opposite seems true. Thinking back to teams of old of ours though that have done well in this league, I don't recall a team of 6ft big youths amongst them. I think it's become a bigger more physical league for sure.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
You see, logic would say the NL has big guys who try and bully and keep it tight and stuff, to make up for a lack of ability, and a higher level has more open technical style. But the opposite seems true. Thinking back to teams of old of ours though that have done well in this league, I don't recall a team of 6ft big youths amongst them. I think it's become a bigger more physical league for sure.

It’s 100% like that for me. Teams try and play far more football on the ground in the NL. With the exception of two or three teams (us, MK, and probably you this season), this league is survival of the biggest.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
It’s 100% like that for me. Teams try and play far more football on the ground in the NL. With the exception of two or three teams (us, MK, and probably you this season), this league is survival of the biggest.
Yea that's not to say like, teams are just big galoots who throw themselves around. Vale were better than us in every aspect today, even when w were running 70% possession, they looked much more likely to score. But ability is 100% mixed with physicality. Teams press hard in this league, and your flair players are marked so strongly.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots

Baring in mind I’m not that familiar with many of the teams in the NL but I think it’s more a product that the higher you go the more tactically aware a team is and able to execute different game plans than just one way of playing. We certainly found that in L1 once other teams found a weakness in us they were merciless in exploiting it.

We were certainly direct today at times and that’s how our goal came about but we did get it down and play when we were in their half as well.

Dan Phillips

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I've got a lot of time for Chesterfield fans. All have given a fair, balanced and honest summary of today's game and provided no excuses. A very healthy following too. Much higher than they used to bring when we regularly met, which shows the positivity and upward trajectory surrounding their club atm. Thought their support was terrific up until we scored, then picked up a little during the second half and then naturally went quiet as we controlled proceedings. I'm just glad to get that monkey off our backs, so to speak, and get that home win on the board. We can head into next Saturday's game at Accrington Stanley full of confidence. It's not a happy hunting ground for us. Always some sort of drama or collapse. We've only won there once since they came into the FL. Then again, we'd never won at Newport until last weekend. No reason why we can't aim for 6 points from that and Swindon at home the following Saturday. Then, our first midweek home fixture against a dodgy Col U side. Could potentially be 9 points there, but I'd be happy with 7. That'd put us in an excellent position heading into a huge clash with Notts County. Hoping we do pick up the 7-9 points as I think our following at Notts would be excellent if so. We travel well there anyway, but I can't remember us ever going there in good form. Only ever seen us win there once too (a 0-1, Mark Marshall scored, thanks to a Roy Carroll goalkeeping error). Glad to get back to back league wins in what feels like an eternity. No getting complacent though. We know each game presents its own challenge, and we need to be on it every game, or we'll get punished.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
During the election campaign Kier Starmer stated a key part of his manifesto was to change the law that Barrow aren't allowed anything away at Grimsby. We shall see if that promise has been fulfilled on Saturday.

Cheers Kiersy.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Yea that's not to say like, teams are just big galoots who throw themselves around. Vale were better than us in every aspect today, even when w were running 70% possession, they looked much more likely to score. But ability is 100% mixed with physicality. Teams press hard in this league, and your flair players are marked so strongly.
Yes, physical press over 90 mins is tiring and it's now a squad game where you expect at least three subs to be brought on to maintain it. Not much Man City total football more used to seeing teams happy to break and plenty of crosses into the box.

Ainsty

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate
We've managed to hold on to our place in League 2 with a team of diddy men. Josh Folkingham is 5'6, George Thompson is 5' 9", James Daly is 5' 7" and Josh Marsh who scored the second goal on Thursday night 5'9". Abraham Odoh 5'6" was sold to Peterborough in the summer after a year with us. I think Mr Weaver Jn likes to employ small lads who have been rejected by other teams because of their size.

Often their size means they are bullied and battered and are frequently beaten in the air. It can have advantages, sometimes big lads begin to tire while smaller players keep going. This happened against Bradford last season, the big Bradford players visibly tired in the second half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Upthegas

Latest posts

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!