Thursday 22nd & Saturday 24th August

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Men against boys really. 3 honking decisions going against us though, with a couple of fortuitous strikes, meant it could have been a lot closer. Really miss Thompson in games like that but I don’t think he’d have helped the repeating roasting on the wings.

No one had a good game, and Davies going off leaves me pretty worried for next week.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Well played Notts despite the dodgy first 2 goals you battered us and a fair scoreline in my opinion, that’s some team you’ve got there you really should be going up if you keep putting in performances like that.
We had our moments too but we were never ever getting anything out of that game.

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Best home performance by a mile under Maynard and probably his first meaningful win. I’ve slagged him enough but tonight makes the start of the season very decent.

I was worried for about 5 minutes at the start of the second half about a Grimsby fight back but actually we rode it out well and took control of it again.

Jones and Crowley take the plaudits but we look like we’ve signed some ballers in Bedeau, Grant, Edwards and especially Tsaroulla.

Grimsby hmm, looks like it might be a struggle again. Didn’t look the fittest either.

Last edited:

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Best home performance by a mile under Maynard and probably his first meaningful win. I’ve slagged him enough but tonight makes the start of the season very decent.

I was worried for about 5 minutes at the start of the second half about a Grimsby fight back but actually we rode it out well and took control of it again.

Jones and Crowley take the plaudits but we look like we’ve signed some ballers in Bedeau, Grant, Edwards and especially Tsaroulla.

Grimsby hmm, looks like it might be a struggle again. Didn’t look the fittest either.

I think Grimsby will be fine, not pushing anywhere near the top, but mid-table fine. They created a few chances with some nice stuff through midfield, we’re just a horrible match up for them style wise with much better players in attacking areas if you make it a straight end-to-end shoot out.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
- Where has this Crowley come from? There seemed to be no fanfare about him but he looks like a Championship player
Spot the L2 n00b, he was one of the best players in the division last season.

Good marker laid down by Notts there, impressive from them. Think Grimsby need to find more prescence in midfield based on that tonight.
Missing our best three players and spine of the team from our lineup as we have every match so far. Curtis Thompson adds that bite to the midfield we were lacking.
I cannot get over how bad Grimsby kit was.
Swap the red for blue and it is every Mansfield home kit ever.
8500 :pond:

Thursday night football, on Sky Sports and during the dreaded summer holidays and the attendance was over 10,000.

Obviously only 8684 were actually in attendance due to 'no shows'.
Don't know what your point is here because we have no idea what the actual bums on seats attendance was. How do you still not understand this very simple detail that has been explained to you about 14 times in the last couple of days?
I think Grimsby will be fine, not pushing anywhere near the top, but mid-table fine. They created a few chances with some nice stuff through midfield, we’re just a horrible match up for them style wise with much better players in attacking areas if you make it a straight end-to-end shoot out.
Yeah, we're several windows behind you with a smaller budget so going toe to toe with you was always likely to end this way. I thought for the amount we got battered in the first half though, we were actually alright in the second and the sides were only separated by a wicked deflection as opposed to the first which wasn't close by any means regardless of whatever ridiculous/contentious goals were flying in.

Last edited:

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I love Curtis Thompson and wish him every success in the world, but you need another good option in that role, he’s a 25 game a season man if you’re lucky.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Double post.

Last edited:

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I love Curtis Thompson and wish him every success in the world, but you need another good option in that role, he’s a 25 game a season man if you’re lucky.
Yeah, I think we were spoiled at the back end of last season as he was fully fit for the majority of his time since arriving in the Jan window. He's absolutely crucial though and it feels like we're just winging it without him or, as you say, a viable option. Jones giving Evan Khouri such a tough ride tonight might prompt Artell to move him there and play one of your LBs at LB. I'd be very surprised if we sign anyone other than young loanees before the end of the month so can't see a battle hardened DMC being added to the squad any time soon.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Yeah, I think we were spoiled at the back end of last season as he was fully fit for the majority of his time since arriving in the Jan window. He's absolutely crucial though and it feels like we're just winging it without him or, as you say, a viable option. Jones giving Evan Khouri such a tough ride tonight might prompt Artell to move him there and play one of your LBs at LB. I'd be very surprised if we sign anyone other than young loanees before the end of the month so can't see a battle hardened DMC being added to the squad any time soon.

I was surprised you didn’t double up on Jones, the first team we’ve played in ages that didn’t noticeably have two or three trying to take him out of the game. Your young left back struggled, but he’s going to do that to pretty much anyone at this level left one-on-one all the time.

It felt a bit like Artell went with the same ‘just try and outscore them’ theory as the 5-5. I thought your front three all played well too and created a fair amount on the break, a fair reflection would probably have been 6-3 or something.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
Grimsby soft as shite as under Artell and Notts were Notts, you can't play them in an open game like that unless you've got better attacking players than them. They blitz teams at home when the opposition plays into their hands, but surely that's the first time it's clicked like that under Williamson. Would be a surprise to see either manager last the season tbh.

Limerick Mariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Yes it was never going to end well with us trying to repeat the 5-5 approach. Losing our best midfielder and 2 dodgy early goals changed the game but we’d have still lost. We really needed to go back to the Hurstball (Artell variant) from the last 10 games of last season once Davies was off but already a goal down Artell went for the doomed shoot out option.

Reaction score
Supports
Notts
Grimsby soft as shite as under Artell and Notts were Notts, you can't play them in an open game like that unless you've got better attacking players than them. They blitz teams at home when the opposition plays into their hands, but surely that's the first time it's clicked like that under Williamson. Would be a surprise to see either manager last the season tbh.
"They're all the same, these tippy tappy managers"

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I thought Notts looked top 3 material, with their forward options they'll outscore a lot of teams. The caveat is that Grimsby's defending as a unit was all over the place...they were just wide open to Notts running at them.

Also, Notts will concede against better attacks, I think that's the negative they have to deal with in the way they play. You can't be that expansive and not be punished for it...makes for some great entertainment though!

Finally, what is this obsession with the keeper always going short? It constantly played the defenders into danger and if Grimsby had been a bit cuter rather than committing fouls, they could have picked off a couple of goals. We do it from time to time and it's infuriating. We're league 2 clubs, not Man City!

Grimsby Road

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
That's pretty much my take on it tbh . How long did it take at the start of the process to implement the Notts style of play ?

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Son of Cod

It’s an English mustard yellow, it’s rank. Also the coats :lol:

Limerick Mariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I thought Notts looked top 3 material, with their forward options they'll outscore a lot of teams. The caveat is that Grimsby's defending as a unit was all over the place...they were just wide open to Notts running at them.

Also, Notts will concede against better attacks, I think that's the negative they have to deal with in the way they play. You can't be that expansive and not be punished for it...makes for some great entertainment though!

Finally, what is this obsession with the keeper always going short? It constantly played the defenders into danger and if Grimsby had been a bit cuter rather than committing fouls, they could have picked off a couple of goals. We do it from time to time and it's infuriating. We're league 2 clubs, not Man City!
Danny Rose is cute, Donovan Wilson isn’t. Game was gone when Rose came on.

Artell got wrong in keeping the same side and shape as Saturday.

We didn’t set up tactically to defend as a unit - McEachran is not the kind of CM to sit in front of the back 4, that were completely exposed. The niggle is that at 2-0 down to two horrendous decisions changing to 2 sitting DCMs doesn’t help you get back in the game.

Cloudy

Reaction score
Supports
Borrusia
Artell will stick to his principles and play his way v Notts but can only see a home win.
Notts have had their style for a longer period of time, acquired the players that fit and had much longer to drill it into the players.
I got something right for once!

Grimsby are just too lightweight, the lack of physically will find them out time and time again. I am not suggesting kicking people, but using your body in challenges, getting closer to opponents etc etc.

Notts were good, lots of width, a mobile big front man, liked the balding guy in midfield.

Grimsby’s next few games are Sheff W, Bradford and Chesterfield.

Gi Dalor

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Last weekend we had our goal not given because all of the officials failed to spot the ball being miles over the line, tonight we have a LeBron James tribute act assist let go (to name just one example) that helps determine the match; it’s fine to say Notts deserved the win/the lead at that point but not when you’re at match fixing levels of ineptitude from the referee, L2 football is well and truly back.
I do think the offside for the first goal was outside acceptable human error from the sideline official. Apart from anything else, in the buildup, Jatta, and others were constantly offside. Not like he moved offside at the last moment, and he looked to be offside by more than a metre.
Maybe the increased exposure from TV will get VAR / goal line introduced, because there's fat chance of improving the competence of the officials.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Edwards the 48 year old looking 39 year old was a very pleasant surprise with that busy performance just what we need.

Jones and Crowley get themselves PFA awards and then put in 9/10 and 10/10 performances in the very next game live on TV.

I just hope nobody is too interested in them for they are pure joy to watch and would work wonders in any L2 or L1 side.

As for the goals
Just offside
Clear handball
Obvious cross
Big deflection

Saying that Jatta, Crowley and Jones all nearly scored at other times as we created loads once again against Grimsby. 12 goals scored in last 3 games.

Gi Dalor

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Spot the L2 n00b, he was one of the best players in the division last season.

There was a tweet about a year ago (video disabled now) titled 'Crowley on the dance floor' showing him from just one match.

Limerick Mariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Edwards the 48 year old looking 39 year old was a very pleasant surprise with that busy performance just what we need.

Jones and Crowley get themselves PFA awards and then put in 9/10 and 10/10 performances in the very next game live on TV.

I just hope nobody is too interested in them for they are pure joy to watch and would work wonders in any L2 or L1 side.

As for the goals
Just offside
Clear handball
Obvious cross
Big deflection

Saying that Jatta, Crowley and Jones all nearly scored at other times as we created loads once again against Grimsby. 12 goals scored in last 3 games.
I was surprised at the stats - with us having 42% possession and more touches in the box. Clearly the Fleetwood approach is better v Notts capping your possession at 20%

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
The thing with Crowley is that he's a completely different player to even 3 years ago. We had him on trial the summer before our first season in League 1 and he impressed, but not enough to earn a deal (well, enough to earn a deal, but not the one his agent decided they wanted after terms were initially agreed). By October, he still didn't have a club and we suddenly had space in the squad due to a long term injury to one of our loaness.

He came in, looked fantastic on the ball, then would do sod all with it before running into trouble or simply passing it to the opposition. When he left a few months later no-one was really disappointed. As a lad on our forum has noted - he seems to have finally found a home (and arguably a level) at Notts that will suit him perfectly. If he leaves, then it's unlikely going to do him any good as a player. His agent won't care about that though as long as he gets paid.

BlackHaddock

Reaction score
Supports
The Mighty Mariners
Glen Campbell sums it up nicely: "I am a linesman FOR Notts County, and the Ref had a poor game".

Best team won though!

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I was surprised you didn’t double up on Jones, the first team we’ve played in ages that didn’t noticeably have two or three trying to take him out of the game. Your young left back struggled, but he’s going to do that to pretty much anyone at this level left one-on-one all the time.

It felt a bit like Artell went with the same ‘just try and outscore them’ theory as the 5-5. I thought your front three all played well too and created a fair amount on the break, a fair reflection would probably have been 6-3 or something.
Khouri isn't really a LB, so I'm not worried about him personally. Like you say, won't be the last time Jones runs riot this season. You're right though, the concerning thing is that Artell didn't set us up to take him or Crowley out the match.
I think we'll be fine this season and Artell will make it through. Completely agree with everything else you've said there though. It's worth pointing out that Notts have played this way for ages and have incrementally tweaked their side over several windows with a much bigger budget than we've had, this is Artell's first season trying this after making wholesale changes with a lower end budget and changing from a Hurst squad drilled in totally the opposite style of play. All that was painfully obvious last night, but Artell definitely has time to try and get it right.
Son of Cod

It’s an English mustard yellow, it’s rank. Also the coats :lol:
It's pretty much exactly the same colour as the lighter tone on your shirt this seaaon mate. Each to their own though, I think it's a great kit. With you on some of the training wear though!

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
As has been said, all of Notts goals had a hint (putting it lightly) of fortune about them, but anyone who watched that game can’t begrudge them the win, comfortably the better side from start to finish.

I haven’t seen too much of them, but what I love about Jones & Crowley is that they’re constantly trying to make something happen, or at least that’s what they were doing last night. Every time they got the ball they’re looking for that killer pass, cross or shot to create/score a goal. Looked like two excellent players and from that showing can understand why Notts fans love them both so much. You know what, I also liked the look of Jatta. Proper handful him, and with the quality of service he will get from the likes of Jones & Crowley I can see him scoring a decent amount this year because a big dangly aggressive forward like that is gonna be a nightmare to stop when the ball is being constantly whipped into the danger area.

As for Grimsby, the goals they conceded were ridiculously unfortunate as mentioned, but I don’t really have any sympathy for them as I thought they played into Notts hands all night. They gave Notts best players far too much respect and just let them do what they wanted to do. I mentioned it during the game, but allowing Crowley to have 5/6/7 touches every time he got the ball was ridiculous.. you’ve got to get close to them type of players otherwise they’ll pick you off, which is exactly what happened. I know a Grimsby fan mentioned their skipper Green was having an off night, but wow I thought he was the biggest culprit for it… I lost count how many times Crowley toyed with him and walked past him like wasn’t even there… put a foot in ffs!

Great following from the Grimsby faithful for a Thursday night on Sky too, very good fan base that always travel well.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Watching the game not changed my opinion on anything, Grimsby at best can hope for a mediocre season under Artell, probably be worse than that though.

County need to strengthen quite significantly to challenge for promotion, probably need a better manager before they can do that too, still got stand out players in Crowley and Jones but lack quality elsewhere.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
What a fucking rubbish away day that was, atmosphere good for about 3 minutes until they scored and then good again for around 10 minutes after half time while we were putting some pressure on.
Other than that, shite, and got home really late as visibility driving home on the A46 was so bad with wind and heavy rain that I had to drive home at snails pace just to be safe.
And the boys were hungry on the way home so stopped at a Maccies for them and was nearly half an hour stuck there waiting for them as it was packed.
Wasted a nights holiday on that.
Crap.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
As has been said, all of Notts goals had a hint (putting it lightly) of fortune about them, but anyone who watched that game can’t begrudge them the win, comfortably the better side from start to finish.

I haven’t seen too much of them, but what I love about Jones & Crowley is that they’re constantly trying to make something happen, or at least that’s what they were doing last night. Every time they got the ball they’re looking for that killer pass, cross or shot to create/score a goal. Looked like two excellent players and from that showing can understand why Notts fans love them both so much. You know what, I also liked the look of Jatta. Proper handful him, and with the quality of service he will get from the likes of Jones & Crowley I can see him scoring a decent amount this year because a big dangly aggressive forward like that is gonna be a nightmare to stop when the ball is being constantly whipped into the danger area.

As for Grimsby, the goals they conceded were ridiculously unfortunate as mentioned, but I don’t really have any sympathy for them as I thought they played into Notts hands all night. They gave Notts best players far too much respect and just let them do what they wanted to do. I mentioned it during the game, but allowing Crowley to have 5/6/7 touches every time he got the ball was ridiculous.. you’ve got to get close to them type of players otherwise they’ll pick you off, which is exactly what happened. I know a Grimsby fan mentioned their skipper Green was having an off night, but wow I thought he was the biggest culprit for it… I lost count how many times Crowley toyed with him and walked past him like wasn’t even there… put a foot in ffs!

Great following from the Grimsby faithful for a Thursday night on Sky too, very good fan base that always travel well.
Green is a bit of a wildcard, sometimes excellent and sometimes shocking. Pretty much always gives his all but not sure you could say that last night. Not our usual captain either, he's behind Rose and Thompson in the pecking
Watching the game not changed my opinion on anything, Grimsby at best can hope for a mediocre season under Artell, probably be worse than that though.

County need to strengthen quite significantly to challenge for promotion, probably need a better manager before they can do that too, still got stand out players in Crowley and Jones but lack quality elsewhere.
I don't think anyone (including the vast majority of Town fans) is expecting us to do anything better than midtable to be fair.

Grimsby Road

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
I think the next few games will give us a better gauge of where we are especially Bradford and Bromley who have more what you would call seasoned lower /non league players , if we can't implement the style against teams like that and get bullied and beaten badly we could be in for a long hard season imo , as we haven't got players that can go into the trenches really ; a very lightweight team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betpaddi

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!