Thursday 22nd & Saturday 24th August

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Hopeless is being kind. Don't think we created a single chance all game. You look a good side though - fancy you to be up there this season, albeit you weren't tested at all today.
I think the fact they only beat us 1-0 suggests they won't be up there. We made them look like prime Barcelona in the first half.

Oddly, despite the issues in the first couple of games, defensively we were solid. Owen Evans dominated his box well and the majority of shots were straight at him. In the midfield and up front we were completely absent though. Once Bennett was booked we had no-one prepared to put a tackle in. Young may as well have not been on the pitch for all the use he was, and Colwill tried but can't do it all. As for Bowman and Taylor up front, some will say they got no service, I'll say they were just crap. Bowman looks a shadow of the player he was and Taylor tried but couldn't get anything going.

Flynn wants to add to the team, but can't unless someone comes in for Kinsella and Bradbury. With that being said, Kinsella would have offered so much more than Young did yesterday, even just in terms of energy. It's a big week for us and I've a feeling the board may be forced to stretch the budget a little further.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I think the fact they only beat us 1-0 suggests they won't be up there. We made them look like prime Barcelona in the first half.

Oddly, despite the issues in the first couple of games, defensively we were solid. Owen Evans dominated his box well and the majority of shots were straight at him. In the midfield and up front we were completely absent though. Once Bennett was booked we had no-one prepared to put a tackle in. Young may as well have not been on the pitch for all the use he was, and Colwill tried but can't do it all. As for Bowman and Taylor up front, some will say they got no service, I'll say they were just crap. Bowman looks a shadow of the player he was and Taylor tried but couldn't get anything going.

Flynn wants to add to the team, but can't unless someone comes in for Kinsella and Bradbury. With that being said, Kinsella would have offered so much more than Young did yesterday, even just in terms of energy. It's a big week for us and I've a feeling the board may be forced to stretch the budget a little further.
Did Stubbs start for you, and how did he do?

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
Dominated the ball with pretty much 70% possession, but didn’t really create too many clear cut chances today. I think we did just about do enough to win, but in all honesty can’t complain too much at a draw. Think our lack of options from the bench showed that the injuries have taken a bit of a toll on us, because if we’d had say Colclough, Madden, Mandeville etc to bring on I think we go on to win that 2/3-0 after Salford went down to 10.

Salford were resolute, dogged and very physical. Organised side that were difficult to break down but, for the budget they likely have, and some of the players in their squad they should be looking to be far more than that, approached the game like a bog standard bottom half L2 team, which is probs where they’ll end up if that becomes a consistent approach. Their captain Tilt btw, what a fucking clown. His red card was hilarious… first yellow for mouthing at ref, and second yellow 2 seconds later for blatantly taking Grigg out whilst trying to block him, and then went on to offer the whole of our west stand out for a fight :lol:

Standouts for us was our absolutely outstanding left back Lewis Gordon, who I think is going to have a top career and make us a bit of money in a future sale. Berry scored another good goal for us and thought he caused their right back plenty of problems throughout, big season ahead for him. And Dobra second half was brilliant too I thought. Take the point and move on, some interesting results around the league today, bit of a humbling for some Vale fans…
Tilt has anger issues. Definitely not wired up right as his whole game consists of trying to leave one on an opponent and get away with it, he's not really interested in the football bit that gets in the way of it. Man child.

I never remember him being like that when we had him but he's getting worse with every season. Salford are the biggest shithouses I've seen and bear in mind I've seen us play Bromley and Borehamwood for a decade.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I remember Grimsby fans being quietly confident of a top seven finish before last season started and now you’re painting yourself as huge underdogs against a side that finished 14th last season and lost their top goalscorer.

Will Notts have a bigger budget than you?

Probably but not by a huge amount. And they’ve consistently lost some of their best players each summer for a few years now.
A year ago we'd just finished in the top half of L2 for the first time since 2006 and made it to the FA Cup QFs under a manager who had got us promoted the season before. This year we're playing a completely different style of football under a different manager having had the budget slashed and narrowly avoided relegation. Not exactly a massive surprise that expectations have been tempered.

All clubs at this level lose good players too. We've lost McAtee, Crocombe and Conteh in recent windows to name a few.
Interesting that Grimsby escaped Non League a season prior to Notts but have gone into reverse ever since that fantastic money generating cup run. Our owners have a clear plan and distinct approach and the whole playing squad and head coach appointed is aligned to that. If Grimsby's owner are copying us and going down the same route (good move) starting with the Artell appointment then it will likely take a few seasons to get to where we are now and a little patience.
Yep, it's pretty much widely known among Town circled now that what happened with the cup money Hurst refused to buy into the data led approach and squandered a chunk of it and then got talked into trying to play a bit more tippity tappity than he wanted by the owners who managed to get our head of recruitment to get one player of his choosing into the club (Conteh). It was a poorly ran pre-season and first few months.

I wouldn't say we're copying Notts, more copying a select handful of clubs of which Notts are probably one. It's definitely going to take time though you're right about that.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
A year ago we'd just finished in the top half of L2 for the first time since 2006 and made it to the FA Cup QFs under a manager who had got us promoted the season before. This year we're playing a completely different style of football under a different manager having had the budget slashed and narrowly avoided relegation. Not exactly a massive surprise that expectations have been tempered.

All clubs at this level lose good players too. We've lost McAtee, Crocombe and Conteh in recent windows to name a few.

Yep, it's pretty much widely known among Town circled now that what happened with the cup money Hurst refused to buy into the data led approach and squandered a chunk of it and then got talked into trying to play a bit more tippity tappity than he wanted by the owners who managed to get our head of recruitment to get one player of his choosing into the club (Conteh). It was a poorly ran pre-season and first few months.

I wouldn't say we're copying Notts, more copying a select handful of clubs of which Notts are probably one. It's definitely going to take time though you're right about that.
Saw Conteh yesterday, always been a fan of him but didn't have a particularly good game on this occasion.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Saw Conteh yesterday, always been a fan of him but didn't have a particularly good game on this occasion.
Yeah he's great on the ball and really good technically but quite naive at times. I think the consensus is that that will come with age and experience. What a start to the season for you lot, my Blackpool supporting mates have been rattling on about Wrexham in pre-season and have largely ignored my advice to watch out for Stockport instead.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Fair play to your owners for backing him but fuck me a 5 year deal at this level is crazy never going to work.
They did it with DC but the fact he was gone after a year from signing it probably means we have some form a break clauses for both parties. If not his rumoured wage would make it very expensive to sort out if he doesn’t succeed.

On the flip side he is responsible to getting in some of the players we have if you listen to the interviews. He deserves time with his own squad and a mad 15 minutes doesn’t change the fact the rest of the season so far has been largely positive, we have given him all the tools to succeed though so won’t get the free pass he got last season coming in after the window shut if this is an underlying sign of problems to come.

Despite half our fan base having a massive meltdown and “teams that lose 4-0 never get promoted” it’s worth pointing out Stockport lost 4-0, Crawley lost 6-0 and Wrexham lost 5-0 along with Mansfield losing 4-1 at home so doesn’t mean season over after game 3 like some of our fans are convinced.

Jimmy Anderson

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton Wanderers
Darren Moore has won 4 games out of 22 games and has a 18 percent win ratio at vale. He also only won 3 out of 23 games in charge at Huddersfield with a 13 percent win ratio. Most sides would have sacked a manager by now with those kind of stats

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Darren Moore has won 4 games out of 22 games and has a 18 percent win ratio at vale. He also only won 3 out of 23 games in charge at Huddersfield with a 13 percent win ratio. Most sides would have sacked a manager by now with those kind of stats

You don’t sack a manager on how he does at other clubs but the devil is in the detail at Vale…

He was appointed after deadline day with the club in a nose dive, we’d won 3 league games since early September (Match Day 7!) and this was February, Pep could of come in but wasn’t going to turn that around. Mentally the squad was done, injuries had hit and no Oli Arblaster to dig us out by that point.

This season he has been backed massively as is evident, biggest budget we’ve probably ever had, signed some top quality players for this level despite not being able to shift lots of last seasons squad so rightly will be no excuses, the owners want promotion and have backed that so it’s not just a case of Vale having a solid top half finish at this level like maybe in the past being seen as decent but being fair to Moore his stats at Vale with his own squad which he deserves the chance to either succeed or fail with is

P5 W2 D1 L2 and one of those L was us with the kids and reserves (ironically who faired much better than the first team against the same XI never change Vale)

He is a bit Gareth Southgate and we are probably going to have or get used to that but can’t really use how he did at Huddersfield who didn’t improve when he left or with a that Vale side that no managed on earth was going to turn around such was the mess he inherited.

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
This was a pretty good game for Fleetwood, we dominated possession ( without ever really threatening) and played a lot of good football. Missing Coughlan up front but opportunities for Lonnie Donegan and Mipo to shine .
Gills defended well and finished the slightly stronger of the 2 sides. We've played ,2 of the fancied sides for promotion in the last 8 days and more than stood up to the test
We have half our starting 11 out at the moment so I will settle for a point.
I thought your wingbacks were excellent yesterday and we were outplayed for most of the match.
If Fleetwood continue to play like that, with a little more cutting edge, I will be very surprised if you aren’t top 6 come the end of the season.

Tinpot and proud

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow
So far we have lost all 3 games 1-0 ,only a silly back pass and a goal keeper error cost us the point yesterday at Doncaster ,I think we are still finding our feet ,just need to get another player in who knows how to score ,I think last season we were very fortunate to have a very attack minded team ,but due to off the field issues we couldn't keep last year's team.I believe that we will start getting the results shortly
I’ve zero doubts that you will actually be fine this season.....there’s a fair team getting slowly unlocked game by game.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC

Plenty are using this data based approach to varying extents. If you are a L2 club who recently was in the NL then Notts are a very good comparable if you choose to copy the approach.

When things aren't going well then the unhappy more critical sections of the fanbase can then use the data approach that the nerds behind the scenes use as a stick to beat the club with. At the moments the recruitment at Notts can't be, as the evidence suggests it's working. Although it's funny watching a select few still try.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Despite half our fan base having a massive meltdown and “teams that lose 4-0 never get promoted” it’s worth pointing out Stockport lost 4-0, Crawley lost 6-0 and Wrexham lost 5-0 along with Mansfield losing 4-1 at home so doesn’t mean season over after game 3 like some of our fans are convinced.
We lost 7-0 to Shrewsbury in 2008/09, then ended up beating them at Wembley to get promoted. Individual results mean diddly squat as long as they aren't regular occurrences.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Plenty are using this data based approach to varying extents. If you are a L2 club who recently was in the NL then Notts are a very good comparable if you choose to copy the approach.

When things aren't going well then the unhappy more critical sections of the fanbase can then use the data approach that the nerds behind the scenes use as a stick to beat the club with. At the moments the recruitment at Notts can't be, as the evidence suggests it's working. Although it's funny watching a select few still try.
Yeah fair. I think we're already doing well on the recruitment side already. It's just the on pitch stuff that needs to click into place really. We've most certainly got plenty of this anti-data lot among our fanbase but these are generally the sadsacks that will find absolutely anything to moan about.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County

I don't think it should be underestimated how well funded we are.
You can use data and scout well but you still have to pay fees and then pay for the players who are often in demand.
Matt Platt was offered a contract at Bradford, we paid fees for Bass ( GK) and MacDonald from Harrogate and Grant from MK. Langstaff and Scott also cost money a couple of seasons ago. Not all our recruitment have been unearthed diamonds, other clubs with good scouts have wanted but been outbid by us at times.
We've had great success with the data approach but it's only one promotion in five seasons and not on the cheap.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Agree , yet the same sad sacks question have the cheek to question whether the owners are ambitious? Absolute madness but it's their hobby.

I'm very confident we will get promoted again within 5 seasons and that's a ratio better than what we are used to. But agree they have certainly spent

Would also add that you can judge the recruitment good and bad on more than promotions and relegations. I suspect our income from sales and compensation is noticeably more than what the owners have spent on players and coaches.

Ainsty

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate
It was a game of two keepers at Colchester. Belshaw was brilliant in both set pieces and open play. On the other hand, Macey was only called on to act once and he failed miserably. Three very useful points but this win away from home against a very poor team does not disguise just how crap we are.

saddler78

Reaction score
Supports
walsall
They did it with DC but the fact he was gone after a year from signing it probably means we have some form a break clauses for both parties. If not his rumoured wage would make it very expensive to sort out if he doesn’t succeed.

On the flip side he is responsible to getting in some of the players we have if you listen to the interviews. He deserves time with his own squad and a mad 15 minutes doesn’t change the fact the rest of the season so far has been largely positive, we have given him all the tools to succeed though so won’t get the free pass he got last season coming in after the window shut if this is an underlying sign of problems to come.

Yeah I remember you doing it with DC also it's early days mate few of our fans having a fit over losing 1-0 at Tranmere because of how well we have started.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
So far we have lost all 3 games 1-0 ,only a silly back pass and a goal keeper error cost us the point yesterday at Doncaster ,I think we are still finding our feet ,just need to get another player in who knows how to score ,I think last season we were very fortunate to have a very attack minded team ,but due to off the field issues we couldn't keep last year's team.I believe that we will start getting the results shortly
Plus 2 good saves by your keeper, a goal line clearance, the post and the bar too. We clearly haven’t gelled yet otherwise it would have been more

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
Keep the faith mate, long way to go !

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Plus 2 good saves by your keeper, a goal line clearance, the post and the bar too. We clearly haven’t gelled yet otherwise it would have been more
How's Clifton settling in? Seems like he's doing alright, a goal and an assist so far.

Reremnart

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers/Pittsburgh Steelers
Poor game today don't think Tranmere had a shot on goal after they went 1 up proper shithouse football from them today didn't think they were much better than Swindon or Morecambe being honest but we didn't look like scoring either so can't complain too much and Cameron Norman is still the biggest knob in League 2 don't touch him or he'll act like he's been shot the blokes embarrassing.
And you didn’t have a shot on target after the penalty you missed after 4 minutes. We’ve got nine players on the treatment table , 5 of which would have started today and only have 3 fit defenders and you still couldn’t score. And as for the biggest knob in the league can I suggest you look far closer to home. Matt was a diving cheating no mark at Forest Green, ditto at Newport and hasn’t changed one iota since he signed for you. His cry baby antics today were just plain embarrassing.

gary

Reaction score
Supports
afc wimbledon
Hopeless is being kind. Don't think we created a single chance all game. You look a good side though - fancy you to be up there this season, albeit you weren't tested at all today.
Yeah our squads looking ok this season. We have 4 decent forwards something that we've not had for a while. Probably our biggest concerns are about our keeper and a lot of Wimbledon supporters are still not convinced with our manager. Anyway early days. It usually takes about 15 game's or so for the league to take shape. I don't think we're going to see the top 3 run away with it this season.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
How's Clifton settling in? Seems like he's doing alright, a goal and an assist so far.
Looks like your typical hard working midfielder who does a lot of work but nothing that gets noticed enough to be given mom. It’s difficult to say anything else as we haven’t gelled as a team yet.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Whoever is Bradford's cameraman is needs sacked for being so stupid as to not know how a zoom button works on a camera.
Calling somebody else stupid after typing out that first sentence is a pretty hypocritical thing to do.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Calling somebody else stupid after typing out that first sentence is a pretty hypocritical thing to do.

Well I did notice the error as soon as I posted it and tried to change it but the site went down and I couldn't be arsed trying again.

Why bring it up anyway? I suppose there's nothing better for you to do when you live in such a hellhole derelict town with the most poor unfashionable and stagnant football club in England.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betpaddi

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!