Tuesday 1st October

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
It's a miracle we're not bottom of the league and in the relegation zone. Once again we're fortunate there are somehow two other teams worse than us.

You deserved to score at least a couple and would have if not for our man between the sticks last night sadly the first 55 minutes of the game was a training session for our lads. Dan Crowley was playing chess whilst Carlisle players were playing checkers. I felt sorry for Armstrong.

Even though we took our foot massively off the gas (too much!) and rested two key players, you should take some hope and confidence into the next game as we couldn't get any control of the game and were very lucky not to concede and fortunate to take all 3 points. You were very impressive for 35 mins

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
You have never seen us turn up with a game plan to cheat. You will have seen individual instances as all teams have done it.

As others have said that was as bad as gets. I've been going for nearly 30 years and I can think of two other sides who turned up to cheat, Accrington a few years ago and Swindon maybe 10 years ago.

I genuinely would throw my season ticket in the bin if that got served up regularly. May as well go watch WWE if you enjoy seeing grown men screaming in fake agony only to miraculously jump up when it's in their interest.
Referee was refreshing through for all the flack they take, once it became obvious what was going on when their player jumped up fine after trying to stop our attack he made the physio come on so he had to spend 30 seconds off the pitch (and we should of scored really). After that it did seem to stop it as much.

I don't recall us ever going to Colchester to employ tactics like that or even close to that level as usually we'd consider it a winnable tie not to go and try the low block.

That's their prerogative though, if I am one of the 140 hardy souls travelling 400 miles around trip to watch my team doing that I would be pretty cheesed off but on the flip side its a sign of respect that most teams see VP as now a place to come and try and grind out a point rather than come and try and win the game and its up to us to over come that. With the money we have spent and players we have we have no excuse not to find ways to rise above opponents that do that and we need to as I say learn to put them teams to the sword if we are serious about achieving our objective this season which is promotion.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
David Arsell comparing his Grimsby team to that of AC Milan from the 90s.

What an absolute gonk he is.

Mighty_Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
We were dreadful.

Morecambe could, and should, have been 3/4 up at HT and game over. We spawned a draw in the last minute after doing nothing - all because Morecambe retreated into themselves obviously lacking confidence to see the win out.

I don't care for Alexander particularly, but until something changes at ownership/boardroom level then we're going nowhere fast.

As a club, we just don't 'get it'.

RavenBish

Antihero
Reaction score
Supports
Shola Ameobi's Notts County
Talking of bullies step forward Alassana Jatta. Made the Carlisle defender look like a kid last night following a straight punt from our keeper.

Reminded me a little of his goal at Valley Parade last season where he bullied the defender from a long ball and then produced a nice finish.

He looks to be worth every penny we spent on the big man.

Honestly think that might be my favourite goal of the last 2 seasons. Proves we’re not as a dogmatic on our kick off routine as people think and can be unpredictable when we’ve got Jatta’s size and pace up front

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton Wanderers
Home and Away that is!
I'd stop playing Tuesday night then and play wednesday night instead. Also vale went something like 10 years without a win on a Sunday but obviously not as many games are played on a Sunday than a Tuesday night.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I'd stop playing Tuesday night then and play wednesday night instead. Also vale went something like 10 years without a win on a Sunday but obviously not as many games are played on a Sunday than a Tuesday night.
Its something like 23 games now which is mad. 2-0 up against Fleetwood and conceded 2 in the last 2 minutes, last night... we've had chances to end it!

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Honestly think that might be my favourite goal of the last 2 seasons. Proves we’re not as a dogmatic on our kick off routine as people think and can be unpredictable when we’ve got Jatta’s size and pace up front

With the deliberate placement of the ball by Platt and the already advancing Bass it looked pre-determined and practiced. If so, that's brilliant it adds a much needed alternative approach that the opposition can't ignore.

The finish is lovely and he steals the lunchbox of that defender and stuffs him in a locker#myprince

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
With the deliberate placement of the ball by Platt and the already advancing Bass it looked pre-determined and practiced. If so, that's brilliant it adds a much needed alternative approach that the opposition can't ignore.

The finish is lovely and he steals the lunchbox of that defender and stuffs him in a locker#myprince

It was a really clever goal kick and clearly something we’d worked on thinking Carlisle would try and really push on to block us from taking them short easily. Still relied on an error from their centre back, but it’s a nice option to have if it makes teams think twice about pushing high up the pitch for our goal kicks.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Noticed Jatta tops the Big Chances Missed table with an impressive 6 in 5 starts. 2 ahead of Grigg and Hemmings who have each played 3 more matches. Jatta also tops the xG table for specific players. I thought he looked a handful against us, however you can't look at those stats and not at least wonder how much of his good start is down to him and how much is down to being in such an attacking side. I know you are all besotted with him but what's the deal with the missed chances?

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Noticed Jatta tops the Big Chances Missed table with an impressive 6 in 5 starts. 2 ahead of Grigg and Hemmings who have each played 3 more matches. Jatta also tops the xG table for specific players. I thought he looked a handful against us, however you can't look at those stats and not at least wonder how much of his good start is down to him and how much is down to being in such an attacking side. I know you are all besotted with him but what's the deal with the missed chances?

Langstaff was top of the ‘big chances missed’ table last season, as was Haaland in the Prem. It’s actually quite a good place to be.

Obviously you’d want to score them all, but generally there’s a huge correlation between missing lots of chances and scoring lots of goals, because the hardest part of scoring goals is the movement to get the chance in the first place. Clearly playing in a team that creates plenty of chances helps.

He is still really raw, though, and there’s loads that we can improve with him, including his finishing. He’s so exciting because of the whole package. If we can tidy those few bits up then a six foot four striker who is lightning quick and scores goals is going to be seriously in demand.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
No surprises SoC noticed and it's a valid question about an NCFC player.

Jacob unsurprisingly has covered all bases whilst educating the non Notts fan once again . I'd like to throw Andrew (Andy) Cole into the mix as a prime example of a player who missed loads and scored loads. Jatta's off the ball movement is surprisingly good but as stated he's definitely raw. Which is actual a real positive.

Yes he benefits from being in a team that last season and this so far scores goals. That's going to benefit any forward

He had 3 chances last night, scored deftly with first, ambitious overhead kick attempt from the big man for the second and blazed high and wide when he should have passed for the 3rd. Didn't do much else but just scores and occupies defenders.

His goals per minutes ago Notts is very impressive 103 minutes per goal last season and just 76 mins per goal this. Obviously that's not going to last but we weren't expecting anything like this. Hence why I'm and others are besotted. We thought we were getting a big lump who would take a while to adapt to L2 and the English game.

Yes we paid a tidy fee for him but at his previous club he scored 15 in 95 games that's basically 1 in 6 so our fans rightly weren't expecting much more than a big nuisance up top. Instead the #radar has identified a 25 year athletic handful for defenders who scores goals.

We just have to try and keep in fit.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
They all miss, his goals per games ratio is good though.
We look a far more potent team with him on the pitch. If he scored more of his chances he wouldn't be in L2 to be honest and I think if he keeps going as he is he'll be the next to leave for bigger things.

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
It certainly is and a shiny new defence, combined that's 3 clean sheets (just!) in 9

Bass is surely going to be worth 10/12 points alone this season.

Second half the midfield was a concern, the defence disciplined and solid, the goalkeeper assured and talented. Oh and I'm putting on record now that the Platt for Baldwin straight swap has been a big success.

Crowley once again took the piss and controlled the game. Fell for all bar one twist and turn and feint but we have next to no strength or tenacity in midfield after Robertson and boy did it show. Grim second half and lucky to get the win overall.
Haha. We’ve kept clean sheets against the sides in 24th, 22nd and 17th and it’s gotta be said that last night was one of the spawniest ones I’ve ever seen. Piss poor finishing, some very good goalkeeping, and yes a smattering of good defending, though why we dropped off so much against an obviously poor, low on confidence team is anyone’s guess.

Going to Morecambe and Carlisle and getting 4 points is never to be sniffed at no matter how shit they are, I think the last 30 mins last night proved we’re maybe a way off being contenders. Saturday will obviously tell us more.

saddler78

Reaction score
Supports
walsall
An unbelievable result by Fleetwood, absolutely fantastic. 2-1 down at half time and a 5 goal blitz in the 2nd half
Not rubbing it in, but will be interested to hear from any Walsall fans who were there. 3 successive away wins, 2 successive home games coming up, watch Fleetwood fail to take advantage of this !
Absolute shambles mate I didn't see that coming a defensive collapse of the highest order that was. First half was okish second half everytime a cross went in our previously solid defence and keeper turned into count dracula terrible defending for all of the goals you looked a good side but I wasn't expecting that lol

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Haha. We’ve kept clean sheets against the sides in 24th, 22nd and 17th and it’s gotta be said that last night was one of the spawniest ones I’ve ever seen. Piss poor finishing, some very good goalkeeping, and yes a smattering of good defending, though why we dropped off so much against an obviously poor, low on confidence team is anyone’s guess.

Going to Morecambe and Carlisle and getting 4 points is never to be sniffed at no matter how shit they are, I think the last 30 mins last night proved we’re maybe a way off being contenders. Saturday will obviously tell us more.

It was spawny indeed unlike the other two. I was also mystified why we dropped off quite so much and the midfield disappeared. Anybody seeing performance and the first half at Morecambe , second half at Swindon would be shocked to see us in the top half let alone 2nd

Saying that it wasn't the shiny new defences fault at all, overall they were very good and the goalkeeper superb. The blame falls at the midfields feet, they were almost nonexistent and lost the ability to find a man which for 60 mins they did for absolute fun.

We are not playing like a team in the top 3, we only manage one good half most games but we now can defend, we now can grind out wins, we now have one of the best keepers in the league and we are always likely to score. It's a great combination.

In form Port Vale FC cheered on by 1900 from the potteries will indeed be a better gauge.

Even if we lose we are doing far better than I predicted thanks in part to Part Time Stu.

Spireitelass97

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Decent point last night. Really good to see Grigg back on scoresheet scoring the most Will Grigg goals ever. Shame he didn’t get the hat trick

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
David Arsell comparing his Grimsby team to that of AC Milan from the 90s.

What an absolute gonk he is.
Yeah because he definitely meant that we are just as good as they were you absolute spanner.

saddler78

Reaction score
Supports
walsall
was in the family stand on the halfway line and must say that the Fleetwood fans were absolutely fantastic from start to finish last night. Although they came in such small numbers, the noise and volume that they created didn’t correlate with their numbers at all, and they cheered and supported their team from start to finish, even when they went behind twice.

Although I was gutted about us losing and the manner in the defeat, I also felt a degree of pleasure in seeing those small number of Fleetwood fans that made that risk and commitment to travel down to us on a cold Tuesday night. Those sets of loyal fans at this level are the life blood of football in this country. I still recall the joy and euphoria of driving back from Grimsby on my own last season when we scored 6 so can imagine that they were all overjoyed at being one of the few that witnessed such an epic game for them.

Limerick Mariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
was in the family stand on the halfway line and must say that the Fleetwood fans were absolutely fantastic from start to finish last night. Although they came in such small numbers, the noise and volume that they created didn’t correlate with their numbers at all, and they cheered and supported their team from start to finish, even when they went behind twice.

Although I was gutted about us losing and the manner in the defeat, I also felt a degree of pleasure in seeing those small number of Fleetwood fans that made that risk and commitment to travel down to us on a cold Tuesday night. Those sets of loyal fans at this level are the life blood of football in this country. I still recall the joy and euphoria of driving back from Grimsby on my own last season when we scored 6 so can imagine that they were all overjoyed at being one of the few that witnessed such an epic game for them.
Then Doncaster and Notts scored 5 against us and you realised actually that was really just equivalent to a bog-standard 2-0 away win…

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
We are not playing like a team in the top 3, we only manage one good half most games but we now can defend, we now can grind out wins, we now have one of the best keepers in the league and we are always likely to score. It's a great combination.

I would argue that’s exactly what a top three team is like tbh. It’s far less consistently entertaining than last season for the most part, but it’ll be more successful.

I thought we just took a calculated risk last night in taking off Robertson and Jatta at the same time when they were the two players doing the most to help us control the game (along with Crowley who we also took off a bit later). Wasn’t really a surprise to me that we were under pressure after that, but it was fine and we saw it through without too much drama.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Referee was refreshing through for all the flack they take, once it became obvious what was going on when their player jumped up fine after trying to stop our attack he made the physio come on so he had to spend 30 seconds off the pitch (and we should of scored really). After that it did seem to stop it as much.

I don't recall us ever going to Colchester to employ tactics like that or even close to that level as usually we'd consider it a winnable tie not to go and try the low block.

That's their prerogative though, if I am one of the 140 hardy souls travelling 400 miles around trip to watch my team doing that I would be pretty cheesed off but on the flip side its a sign of respect that most teams see VP as now a place to come and try and grind out a point rather than come and try and win the game and its up to us to over come that. With the money we have spent and players we have we have no excuse not to find ways to rise above opponents that do that and we need to as I say learn to put them teams to the sword if we are serious about achieving our objective this season which is promotion.
Their fans seem more delighted to have frustrated us than for nicking a late point. If my team went to play in that way, irrelevant of ability, I'd be furious. Football is about winning, not about frustrating the opposition into a bore draw. I think that's the issue with football these days, managers are so fearful of getting the sack that they don't send teams out to win. The point is all that matters, irrelevant of how it's obtained. It's an entertainment industry, not a factory.

I'd also be fuming if our 6ft odd striker, who was quite frankly like a baby all game, chose to go over and antagonise the home fans rather than celebrate with 140 souls who will have travelled 400 miles on a week night to pay and see me play.

Each to their own but I certainly wouldn't be celebrating my team's performance.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
I would argue that’s exactly what a top three team is like tbh. It’s far less consistently entertaining than last season for the most part, but it’ll be more successful.

I thought we just took a calculated risk last night in taking off Robertson and Jatta at the same time when they were the two players doing the most to help us control the game (along with Crowley who we also took off a bit later). Wasn’t really a surprise to me that we were under pressure after that, but it was fine and we saw it through without too much drama.

Two sides to every coins and too early to say which is right. Win when you don't play well is a classic sign of a good side. However I remember seasons in the not too distant past where the majority of the Notts fanbase knew we weren't as good as the table showed and ultimately results gave the full picture.

I viewed the substitutions the same and I applaud a move like that. I don't want safe when it comes to subs and Maynard takes risks. So i expected a drop off with the loss of those players but not a plummet from being fully in control to not being able to string any passes together. We failed to have any sustained attacking play for a full half an hour and that frankly looked impossible at half time. We couldn't keep the ball, and we never turned their defence.

There was definite drama late on for me, with two very smart saves from Bass, shots fired wide, countless corners, a clearance off the line oh and when they also hit the bar. Our defence and keeper had to be very good as they were very busy.
Maybe the added alcohol you had smoothed the edges but it was a painful watch in that second half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
incanndescent

Latest posts

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!