2016/17 National League North

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
Jordan Sinnott signs for Halifax I see.

He was THE man who got the blame whenever we got beaten, regardless of how he played. To be fair to him, he couldn't win with his dad as manager. He got shunted around the park all the time he was at Alty, and I don't think anyone knew his best position.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Jordan Sinnott signs for Halifax I see.

He was THE man who got the blame whenever we got beaten, regardless of how he played. To be fair to him, he couldn't win with his dad as manager. He got shunted around the park all the time he was at Alty, and I don't think anyone knew his best position.

Scored an absolute belter of a free-kick against us last season - I'd imagine he's a reliable set-piece taker?

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
Scored an absolute belter of a free-kick against us last season - I'd imagine he's a reliable set-piece taker?

He scored a similarly impressive free kick against Southport on Good Friday 2015, which led to him becoming the free kick man. Unfortunately, I think the one at Barrow was the only other one he scored. I'm pretty sure there were some stats on our club website about shots to goals conversion last season, and Jordan's was terrible. So was everyone else's, mind.

HG Yellow&Black

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate Town
An update from Harrogate Town.
Doing some good business so far, as we all tend to do at this time of year!
After the departure of Mr Daniels - a blow but 3 yr full time is crazy and shows the intent by Fylde......so much so that they practically bought off our best player for our playoff semi, such was his totally muted performance. Not great by him at all.

So we have signed an impressive array of replacements.....

John Paul Pittman from Grimsby - a lot of their lot were very surprised he had dropped down a division to us.

The return of Chib Chalika - great bloke to have back off the pitch and a steady goal scoring record 14/15 goals last season at a very average (apart from when they play us!) BPA.

Ben Parker - Guiseley ex captain and formerly of Leeds United, badly needed left back addition.

Joe Leesley - the first of our two signings from Alfreton. England C cap a few months ago. Good versatile player with plenty of current ability and future development given that Town will be training all day Monday, Wednesday AM and Thursday AM.

Wayne Brooksby - great wing addition, with promo credentials following his time at with Guiseley and latterly Ferriby.

Andi Thanoj - superb signing for us in an already strong midfield. Again really rated by Grimsby fans when he was there and also a decent age for us.

Forgot to add.......Simon Ainge from BPA adding strong expertise into an already good back line.

With us resigning all the players key to last seasons good performance, with the exception of Daniels, I think we have a really good squad....maybe one player light up front but with the extra training and new pitch in play it could really give us good momentum in what will be a massive division next year.

Really savouring playing the new additions to the division as well. Darlo on Boxing day could be brilliant!

Last edited:

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
What's the general feeling towards Weaver? Given the money available, and whilst not the most in the league, from the outside he seems to have underachieved and not pulled up any trees. He's had enough time to do something.

I know it's a bit difficult, mind, because his Dad owns the Club!

HG Yellow&Black

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate Town
What's the general feeling towards Weaver? Given the money available, and whilst not the most in the league, from the outside he seems to have underachieved and not pulled up any trees. He's had enough time to do something.

I know it's a bit difficult, mind, because his Dad owns the Club!

Last season we hope was the corner turning moment......6 years in! The season before it got very heated between fans and club (including a rather public confrontation after one match, resulting in Jake Speight trying to fight a fan - objectionable ass that Speight is!) but to be fair to the Weavers they have been a lot more conciliatory in their communication (and stopped the very repetitive gaffs and PR own goals in their treatment of certain club helpers in the past) and after a few years of discontent and questions towards Weaver's management credentials it just felt good to all be pulling in the same directions. It did help we performed well and actually looked like going after the Moors at one stage.

As you said he certainly gets every year one of the best budgets in the division and we are if anything but in name a full time side given the training commitment needed by players this year. So the pressure is there if we don't do well, given the above outlay. There is a bit more slack for him and certainly some fans tend to want to ignore the very strong outlay each year Weaver gets. Is quite amusing when other fans seem to want to remind him and us of this - BPA in particular. They love coming to Harrogate.

One thing that has certainly kept him in the job from a fans view is the clubs broader growth. The impact on the off the pitch side of the club, nice bar, new stands, growing profile in a town that is not exactly a hot bed of non league football lovers (all leeds, Man Usa, Liverpool etc). We now have a very vocal and committed core of around 50 fans who travel everywhere now - and a very vocal home end, when before the ground was well, very Harrogate! We feel like a proper football club and it is exciting. The Fifa graded 3g pitch going in at present is also a big step forward commercially wise and growing the reach of Town, tho I will miss the tradition of a proper pitch!

What are your thought onh the highly rated brothers arrival? Oh and thoughts on Liam Hearn? Really rather let us down. Over weight, not match fit, a bit injured and then sick noted it. Similar to his spell at Barrow!

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
John Paul Pittman from Grimsby - a lot of their lot were very surprised he had dropped down a division to us.
If you can keep him fit he will be a great signing, unfortunately he gets injured 3 or 4 times a season and I'm pretty sure thats why he was released.
Nearly always good for a goal though and when fit Hurst would regularly pick him instead of Bogle.
Seems a great guy as well always out doing stuff in the community with kids and charities.
If ever a guy deserves a break and to do well then it is him, hope he has a great season for you.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
An update from Harrogate Town.
Doing some good business so far, as we all tend to do at this time of year!
After the departure of Mr Daniels - a blow but 3 yr full time is crazy and shows the intent by Fylde......so much so that they practically bought off our best player for our playoff semi, such was his totally muted performance. Not great by him at all.

So we have signed an impressive array of replacements.....

The return of Chib Chalika - great bloke to have back off the pitch and a steady goal scoring record 14/15 goals last season at a very average (apart from when they play us!) BPA.

Ben Parker - Guiseley ex captain and formerly of Leeds United, badly needed left back addition.

Joe Leesley - the first of our two signings from Alfreton. England C cap a few months ago. Good versatile player with plenty of current ability and future development given that Town will be training all day Monday, Wednesday AM and Thursday AM.

Wayne Brooksby - great wing addition, with promo credentials following his time at with Guiseley and latterly Ferriby.

Andi Thanoj - superb signing for us in an already strong midfield. Again really rated by Grimsby fans when he was there and also a decent age for us.

Forgot to add.......Simon Ainge from BPA adding strong expertise into an already good back line.

With us resigning all the players key to last seasons good performance, with the exception of Daniels, I think we have a really good squad....maybe one player light up front but with the extra training and new pitch in play it could really give us good momentum in what will be a massive division next year.

Really savouring playing the new additions to the division as well. Darlo on Boxing day could be brilliant!

Welcome to the forum. Great first post. You have got two excellent players from ourselves. Could you please kindly stop taking all our better players? Thanks

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
What are your thought onh the highly rated brothers arrival? Oh and thoughts on Liam Hearn? Really rather let us down. Over weight, not match fit, a bit injured and then sick noted it. Similar to his spell at Barrow!
And his spell here! He's got issues in his mind, IMO.

If you look at his moves in recent years he got injured at Grimsby, had a year or so there then sacked them off for Mansfield where he was injured then sacked them off for us. We got him playing the most he ever had done since his injury and worked wonders on him then decided he wanted to be playing 90 minutes and not 80 as he was doing. Went to Barrow and managed 80 minutes and the fact that Cox hasn't gone back in for him this summer probably sums up everything. He's no the most loyal of players.

As for the Cowleys, they talk a very good game, which you can't really argue with because they've had 9 seasons of success! They have the odd standard answer to things but go that little bit deeper explaining things, which makes you think they're at least a level up on other managers we've had since we've been down here. They're actually very engaging people and being involved in schools and PE will stand them in good stead around a FT environment. Looking forward to the season more than I have done for quite a few years.

CrazyImp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Twitter
@Sam_LCFC_90
Liam Hearn is a very gifted, no doubt about that, human being, but as Luke alludes to, an immensely troubled one also, there's something disturbingly not right with him. Whether it stems from his spell inside or not, who knows.

His actions derailed all our good work early last season - his excuse for seeking a loan was economical with the truth at best, and a shameful downright lie at the worst. He did not want to play his friends down the road, simple as that.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that he came back expecting everything to be ok again. He doesn't have a grip on reality.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
We're going to announce more signings this evening - Minihan likely to be one.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
We're going to announce more signings this evening - Minihan likely to be one.
Minihan confirmed along with midfielder Gary Stopforth from Salford and a new contract agreed with Kayode Odejayi.

Saw lots of Salford and Stopforth last season and more than happy to see him on our books. Hard-working tough, tackling midfielder midfielder with composure on the ball - him and Montrose should be a fantastic pairing. I believe the only reason he left Salford was because he is potentially moving to Australia in January.

I was much as I like Odejayi I only wanted to keep him because I presumed he would be our back-up striker this season, so really disappointed we haven't managed to find a goalscorer. It will be up to Lloyd and Marsden to try and both hit 20 plus from their attacking midfield positions. It's a real shame that circumstances meant Bennett and Denton were snapped up by Barrow and Halifax.

HG Yellow&Black

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate Town
If you can keep him fit he will be a great signing, unfortunately he gets injured 3 or 4 times a season and I'm pretty sure thats why he was released.
Nearly always good for a goal though and when fit Hurst would regularly pick him instead of Bogle.
Seems a great guy as well always out doing stuff in the community with kids and charities.
If ever a guy deserves a break and to do well then it is him, hope he has a great season for you.

Have heard that about injuries. If he was at times picked ahead of your man Bogle that stands us in good stead given what Bogle used to do in this division. Between him and Chib Chalika we will have a very good but also perhaps the nicest front line! Good luck back where you belong, you looked like Promotion certainties in the FA cup game. Best outfit at Wetherby road last season.

HG Yellow&Black

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate Town
Welcome to the forum. Great first post. You have got two excellent players from ourselves. Could you please kindly stop taking all our better players? Thanks
I know, sorry. Not the best to be taking multiple players. You've get Clayts back off us as consolation. One of the forwards who shouldn't have left when we have kept Dominic Knowles.

HG Yellow&Black

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate Town
Liam Hearn is a very gifted, no doubt about that, human being, but as Luke alludes to, an immensely troubled one also, there's something disturbingly not right with him. Whether it stems from his spell inside or not, who knows.

His actions derailed all our good work early last season - his excuse for seeking a loan was economical with the truth at best, and a shameful downright lie at the worst. He did not want to play his friends down the road, simple as that.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that he came back expecting everything to be ok again. He doesn't have a grip on reality.

His move to Barrow was bizarre to say the least.

Yes he put us in a very tricky situation last season. On paper it seemed like a brilliant signing but what transpired was a joke and let the club's confidence in signing a non fit player down big time. They didn't even report his non appearances as injury by the end.

Yet another example of a player's talent being let down by his own actions. His transfer to Ilkeston speaks volumes that no one would go near him elsewhere.

HG Yellow&Black

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate Town
And his spell here! He's got issues in his mind, IMO.

If you look at his moves in recent years he got injured at Grimsby, had a year or so there then sacked them off for Mansfield where he was injured then sacked them off for us. We got him playing the most he ever had done since his injury and worked wonders on him then decided he wanted to be playing 90 minutes and not 80 as he was doing. Went to Barrow and managed 80 minutes and the fact that Cox hasn't gone back in for him this summer probably sums up everything. He's no the most loyal of players.

As for the Cowleys, they talk a very good game, which you can't really argue with because they've had 9 seasons of success! They have the odd standard answer to things but go that little bit deeper explaining things, which makes you think they're at least a level up on other managers we've had since we've been down here. They're actually very engaging people and being involved in schools and PE will stand them in good stead around a FT environment. Looking forward to the season more than I have done for quite a few years.

A player who has the mindset of a premier league wannabe, his on paper credentials looked amazing. Shame really but when you contrast him with the mindset of Pittman and Chalika I am glad we haven't tried to involve ourselves with him again. You boys with Rhead look to have a decent line up without him.

Seems like you have got strong upgrade on the last incumbent if your comments are anything to go by. Like the Mariners City seem to have been too long out of the League so will hopefully prove a turning point given their brilliant impact at Braintree. A rare breed are managers who think not just react, Cowley's demeanour seems very much that of a thoughtful teacher......Wenger before he went all Managing Director of a PLC!

HG Yellow&Black

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate Town
Sam Minihan and Gary Stopforth signed, while Odejayi is unfortunately staying.

Surely this is the year for County?

That said it will be reet bugger of a division this year - more competitive than any year I can remember.

HG Yellow&Black

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate Town
Was almost akin the Hearn signing. Was expecting bigthings given his captaincy of a club in the division above. Think he played two games or something and just didn't impact at all. That said having to deal with the very public profile of that gold digger he was with probably didn't help his mindset. No talk at all from the club about signing him and speaks volumes that Simon Ainge's arrival will be more beneficial to the club.
Similar to Hearn he was at the club on sulk leave Ioan I think following a perhaps understandable spat with Maamria. Don't know where he's gone now. Probably not Leicester.

Harrier94

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
Keith Lowe and Jared Hodgkiss have signed a contract for next season. Brilliant news about Keith Lowe too good for this league so will hopefully help us with a possible bounce back.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Was almost akin the Hearn signing. Was expecting bigthings given his captaincy of a club in the division above. Think he played two games or something and just didn't impact at all. That said having to deal with the very public profile of that gold digger he was with probably didn't help his mindset. No talk at all from the club about signing him and speaks volumes that Simon Ainge's arrival will be more beneficial to the club.
Similar to Hearn he was at the club on sulk leave Ioan I think following a perhaps understandable spat with Maamria. Don't know where he's gone now. Probably not Leicester.
He has also gone to Ilkeston.

SamScfc

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport
Twitter
@samcharnock94
Surely this is the year for County?

That said it will be reet bugger of a division this year - more competitive than any year I can remember.

No chance, in previous seasons I've insisted we've got to go up but Gannon has said he's building a squad which knows this league and will get better. So the season after I think we should be up there.

I think we'll be playoff contenders but with Halifax, Salford and Fylde surely certainties for the play offs that leaves only 2 left.

HG Yellow&Black

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate Town
Is the club still spending big money elsewhere on the ground etc - as wages vs gates go you would think there would be a decent budget to go on. I remember seeing Bradford at your place in the 90s Preece and Francis era and there is no way County should be stopping this low down.

Yes you could go for any of at least 10-12 teams for the top 5, with some great derbies for you.....well I say great, not in the context of Citeh etc but at least will make it slightly more interesting for you lot with FCUM, Salford etc

Clem Fandango

Reaction score
Supports
Gloucester City
The VOTTE ‏@TheVOTTE 13m13 minutes ago
Very very disappointed to see @Glos_Police OBJECT the @GCAFCofficial stadium based on "the inappropriate location of the stadium". WHAT?!

Yeah shocking that, the stadium has been there for 30 years now so God knows what they are talking about. The objection letter also seems to think that they'll be entertaining the 300 Russian lads in Marseille the other week rather than National League North fans. It's a total joke which I hope the council and the club tells them. The council ultimately have overall power for this so fingers crossed this doesn't scupper or slow down plans.

Clem Fandango

Reaction score
Supports
Gloucester City
Odds wise I'm surprised BPA aren't a fav for the drop given the amount of players leaving them. They seem to be in a right mess. Worcester could also be in big trouble if Nti leaves, they still haven't replaced Vaughan in goal yet.

Don't think Salford would win it but if you could get promotion for them at those odds I'd chuck some cash at it.

As far as squad strength on paper I'd say Fylde and Halifax are the two strongest teams currently.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
footman

Latest posts

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!