Stickied League 1 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2024/25

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
This time last season we were told how the league should fear James Wilson.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I think one of the reasons teams arnt interested in wilson is his goalscoring record. 4 goals last season isn't good enough. His scoring record throughout his career isn't good enough. Even if he has a good not injured much season he won't get anymore than 10 goals in a season.
It's a good point. He should definitely score more goals but when fully fit, he's one of the best technically in the division (check out his pass for the first goal in the playoff final). In mitigation, we've had a few years of absolute shite so any player that is half decent is going to look amazing, but his skill level is way above this level when on song.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
With his ability, he really should be causing problems for defenders at this level. He just didn't really ever get himself fully fit last season or have the chance to show it. I have a feeling that some of these injuries are more psychological than anything else.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I think one of the reasons teams arnt interested in wilson is his goalscoring record. 4 goals last season isn't good enough. His scoring record throughout his career isn't good enough. Even if he has a good not injured much season he won't get anymore than 10 goals in a season.
Apart from the 15 he got the season before last?

If he’s fit he’s good for a solid enough return. He’s not and out and out striker who will get you 20-25 a season, in fact at Salford he was played out wide a lot.

Technically in terms of touch and movement he is one of the best down Vale since the “glory days” in the 90s, he’s just rarely fit enough. That said last season his main two spells out came down to two awful tackles, one at Wycombe which should of been a red card when he was taking through the back of the ankles on a break away and an almost identical one at Hillsborough which bizarrely wasn’t given as a foul.

If the deal is structured right so he has the chance to earn a top wage at the club but only at a low risk to the club in terms of his fitness issues then we should make sure it’s done.

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
and we were told that we should not expect to stay up in the european superleague that is EFL1.

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Most Vale fans wanted him to stay as long as the deal was right (similar to Gibbons) due to his injury record.

It would be hard to keep him as a top earner if he is out for spells all season again but if the deal is structured right it’s a no brainier.
I have some spare time on my hands this morning and was all caught up in this Wilson and Port Vale drama so decided to check out your fans forum.

I think it’s fair to say that the majority of Vale fans are more into meltdown mode rather than wanting Wilson back. Most are saying that he’s been “very poor” in League 1 last season and that you’re “scraping the barrel”.

I have a feeling Vale are in for a tough season ahead currently.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I have some spare time on my hands this morning and was all caught up in this Wilson and Port Vale drama so decided to check out your fans forum.

I think it’s fair to say that the majority of Vale fans are more into meltdown mode rather than wanting Wilson back. Most are saying that he’s been “very poor” in League 1 last season and that you’re “scraping the barrel”.

I have a feeling Vale are in for a tough season ahead currently.
No they are not at all, you have a couple of negative fans (if it’s OVF it’s like doom gloom merchants on there) and the majority arguing the point that when fit if the deal is right financially it’s a no brainer.

At the moment I am confident we will have a more comfortable season with the transfer business we have done (would argue at present it’s better than Shrews).

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
No they are not at all, you have a couple of negative fans (if it’s OVF it’s like doom gloom merchants on there) and the majority arguing the point that when fit if the deal is right financially it’s a no brainer.

At the moment I am confident we will have a more comfortable season with the transfer business we have done (would argue at present it’s better than Shrews).
I’ve only read the past 4 pages on that ‘summer signings’ thread and it seems like they’re all reaching for the rope this early. You must’ve missed out on some strikers to be going back for somebody so injury prone though, surely?

We don’t need many new starting players as we’ll use the core of our squad from last season. One thing we needed to do was bulk our squad up as the majority of games last season we didn’t have a full bench and could only name 4/5 subs out of 7. It was an embarrassment. We’ve signed 7 new players so far and are expecting another 4 or 5 so we should have plenty of depth for the first time in 3 seasons.

I don’t think the Vale fan I had a wager with last season has paid out his £20 yet, but I’d give you a £20 charity bet that Salop will finish above the Vale again this season. Happy to take it?

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I’ve only read the past 4 pages on that ‘summer signings’ thread and it seems like they’re all reaching for the rope this early. You must’ve missed out on some strikers to be going back for somebody so injury prone though, surely?

We don’t need many new starting players as we’ll use the core of our squad from last season. One thing we needed to do was bulk our squad up as the majority of games last season we didn’t have a full bench and could only name 4/5 subs out of 7. It was an embarrassment. We’ve signed 7 new players so far and are expecting another 4 or 5 so we should have plenty of depth for the first time in 3 seasons.

I don’t think the Vale fan I had a wager with last season has paid out his £20 yet, but I’d give you a £20 charity bet that Salop will finish above the Vale again this season. Happy to take it?
You’ve lost a couple of big players and not really replaced them, end of August will be the time to judge the summer but our wouldn’t read too much into OVF, posters like rampant zebra are pure doom merchants even during the promotion season.

The twitter responses to the Vale post are more accurate for the right money it’s a no brainer, he was offered a deal originally (haven’t you had a U-Turn on one?) but looks like he hasn’t found anyone else willing to risk a better deal at this stage; would be low risk potentially high reward. He wouldn’t affect our current targets I doubt as we need 2-3 strikers to complete our summer overhaul.

The main issue last season was being too short/not physical enough defensively and we’ve addressed that and had a poor goalkeeper situation and we’ve more than addressed that so the overall picture is good but strikers are the hardest part and usually take the longest to get sorted but not worried yet. We have 7 weeks of the window left.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Viljami Sinisalo confirmed. Season long loan

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Abu Kamara has come in on loan from Norwich for the season. 19 year old striker who can play anywhere up front. Got some game time in the Championship for Norwich towards the back end of last season.

Looks like useful backup for what we already have.

Last edited:

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
You’ve lost a couple of big players and not really replaced them, end of August will be the time to judge the summer but our wouldn’t read too much into OVF, posters like rampant zebra are pure doom merchants even during the promotion season.

The twitter responses to the Vale post are more accurate for the right money it’s a no brainer, he was offered a deal originally (haven’t you had a U-Turn on one?) but looks like he hasn’t found anyone else willing to risk a better deal at this stage; would be low risk potentially high reward. He wouldn’t affect our current targets I doubt as we need 2-3 strikers to complete our summer overhaul.

The main issue last season was being too short/not physical enough defensively and we’ve addressed that and had a poor goalkeeper situation and we’ve more than addressed that so the overall picture is good but strikers are the hardest part and usually take the longest to get sorted but not worried yet. We have 7 weeks of the window left.
Pennington has been replaced by Feeney from Carlisle and Leahy’s replacement is already at the club. Shipley will move into midfield and George Nurse will come back in at LWB after missing pretty much all of last season. Udoh coming back after missing the whole season last year is huge for us as well as a fit Udoh will bag 15-20 goals next season.

My main worry with our new signings is the lack of League 1 experience about them. I can see that well going down the route if signing young players in the hope we can make them into solid players at this level and then sell them on for big fees. It’s certainly a risk no doubt! We’ll be strong on set pieces once again as we just seem to be signing a team of giants thus far.

Bennett has come back to the club after being released by Cotterill, yes. He most likely won’t be a starter as we’ve signed him for the dressing room and to coach our new RWB’s (Sobowale & Thorpe). He’s not a bad player by no means at this level I just have higher expectations than midtable me personally but the budget can only go so far.

Yeah looking at your current squad I do struggle to see where your goals are coming from. I’ve said on this forum before that my uncle is a Vale supporter and goes to about 10-12 home games a year and 1 or 2 away and he’s not confident of having a good season next year and that’s mainly down to your attack issues. Maybe that’s why I’m thinking you’ll struggle I don’t know.

End of the day there’s still plenty of time left this window hence why I’ve not done the League 1 predict the table challenge on this forum yet. It’s all about opinions and anything can happen in football. Just can’t wait for the season to kick off two weeks on Saturday now.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I think we'll be much tighter defensively, which often gives you a chance at this level but at this moment we seem short on pace and goals. I'd say we have enough to not bother the relegation places but not enough to bother the top 10. We'll be one of the fittest teams though I would say, full of running.

YEO YEO YEO

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Strange to not having any loan signings in by this point in the window as per previous seasons. A lot more permanents so far for us.

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
Udoh scored 16 in 51 apps 2 seasons ago, Wilson managed 15 in 47 the same year. Wilson managed more games and goals last season. Wilson is a year older but has many more games and goals and has been at a higher level than udoh for a lot of his career. not sure how we're writing wilson off but counting on 15-20 from a guy who's hit the lower end of that once in a season where he played more games than he has managed at any other time.
dunno what the attitude is with vale fans, lots wanting to put words in our mouths. im sure if you read back we all said...shame about wilson but can't justify his wages for how many games he's fit. if the rumour of pay as you play is true all of a sudden you can justify his wages for how many games he is fit because we won't pay him when he isn't. the ovf twitching started weeks ago. we're in a much better place at this time of year than we were last year. we're much stronger on paper in most positions and roughly the same boat upfront as we were last year. Big question marks are can we get the 2-3 strikers in behind harrison to provide the goals and is crosby too big of a risk as manager.

shrews have the question marks of whether or not they've replaced what they've lost, as well as a new manager and the infrastructure thats come in with the change of direction. i don't know how we'll do next season by the way before anyone thinks im saying we'll be champions by christmas.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Udoh scored 16 in 51 apps 2 seasons ago, Wilson managed 15 in 47 the same year. Wilson managed more games and goals last season. Wilson is a year older but has many more games and goals and has been at a higher level than udoh for a lot of his career. not sure how we're writing wilson off but counting on 15-20 from a guy who's hit the lower end of that once in a season where he played more games than he has managed at any other time.
dunno what the attitude is with vale fans, lots wanting to put words in our mouths. im sure if you read back we all said...shame about wilson but can't justify his wages for how many games he's fit. if the rumour of pay as you play is true all of a sudden you can justify his wages for how many games he is fit because we won't pay him when he isn't. the ovf twitching started weeks ago. we're in a much better place at this time of year than we were last year. we're much stronger on paper in most positions and roughly the same boat upfront as we were last year. Big question marks are can we get the 2-3 strikers in behind harrison to provide the goals and is crosby too big of a risk as manager.

shrews have the question marks of whether or not they've replaced what they've lost, as well as a new manager and the infrastructure thats come in with the change of direction. i don't know how we'll do next season by the way before anyone thinks im saying we'll be champions by christmas.
This season is about further progression, some of our fans want play offs and think we should be offering 10k a week to strikers which isn’t realistic.

We’ve been clear from the start that we are building long term infrastructure with the youth team and facilities off the pitch to increase revenue and thus make us more competitive financially whilst not risking the club like some who will no doubt challenge next season.

First time probably since the 90s we have a vision and long term plan which we haven’t had before so some fans need to be realistic, if we finishing 12-15th that would be decent progression and I would accept that.

Problem was being 9th at New Year before the injury crisis kicked in and we sold Hall left fans with higher expectations but teams like Ipswich went into January spending well into 7 figures and that’s currently not something we can do (nor most of the clubs in our pool of size such as Lincoln/Shrewsbury/Rovers etc).

The owners have spent what £10,000,000 on the club is it now in 4 years including the purchase and developments into the youth, ground and facilities, we’ve got investments now in the pitch to be better, the huge cost of swapping the away end and linking in with local companies like Autonet who obviously are buying us the huge big screen scoreboard that’s being installed (can’t wait for that! Be able to use that in the summer surely for the Euros for eg!).

Yet some of our fans want us to break the bank to compete way above the sensible level.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Signed defender jasper moon from Barnsley on a 3 year deal. Had him last season on loan. Was decent.
We just need Terry Taylor to sign a new deal and then we are pretty much done I think.

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury

Udoh’s goals came in League 1, Wilson’s came in League 2 first of all. It’s hard to explain Dan Udoh unless you see him every week, he’s getting better and better each season. I strongly believe that if he didn’t get injured away at Bristol Rovers last August for the entire season then we’d have lost him a week later to a Championship club. At the time, Millwall and Blackburn were sniffing around him. Not only goals, but his whole link up play. For a small lad, he wins almost every header and physical battle. He’s a very, very good striker at this level. If you’re asking me if I would prefer Dan Udoh or James Wilson to lead the line then I’m going Udoh 100% without doubt.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Udoh’s goals came in League 1, Wilson’s came in League 2 first of all. It’s hard to explain Dan Udoh unless you see him every week, he’s getting better and better each season. I strongly believe that if he didn’t get injured away at Bristol Rovers last August for the entire season then we’d have lost him a week later to a Championship club. At the time, Millwall and Blackburn were sniffing around him. Not only goals, but his whole link up play. For a small lad, he wins almost every header and physical battle. He’s a very, very good striker at this level. If you’re asking me if I would prefer Dan Udoh or James Wilson to lead the line then I’m going Udoh 100% without doubt.
If you want a striker who’s more available then Udoh hence why we’ve offered JW9 pay as you play. If both are fit most of the season I’m going with the over 1 in 5 striker who’s played most of his career in the top two tiers of England/Scotland over a 1 in 6 striker at L1/2 level.

If it wasn’t for injuries Willo would be in the top two divisions without a doubt (let’s face it the only reason he’s at Vale in the first place). You don’t make 15 Premier League appearances for Manchester United unless you have something about you.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Good, solid squabbling between Shrews and Vale fans here. Strong pre-season showing.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I personally felt Garrity and Proctor were more of a threat than Wilson for Vale, but I only saw a handful of their games

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Pennington has been replaced by Feeney from Carlisle and Leahy’s replacement is already at the club. Shipley will move into midfield and George Nurse will come back in at LWB after missing pretty much all of last season. Udoh coming back after missing the whole season last year is huge for us as well as a fit Udoh will bag 15-20 goals next season.

My main worry with our new signings is the lack of League 1 experience about them. I can see that well going down the route if signing young players in the hope we can make them into solid players at this level and then sell them on for big fees. It’s certainly a risk no doubt! We’ll be strong on set pieces once again as we just seem to be signing a team of giants thus far.

Bennett has come back to the club after being released by Cotterill, yes. He most likely won’t be a starter as we’ve signed him for the dressing room and to coach our new RWB’s (Sobowale & Thorpe). He’s not a bad player by no means at this level I just have higher expectations than midtable me personally but the budget can only go so far.

Yeah looking at your current squad I do struggle to see where your goals are coming from. I’ve said on this forum before that my uncle is a Vale supporter and goes to about 10-12 home games a year and 1 or 2 away and he’s not confident of having a good season next year and that’s mainly down to your attack issues. Maybe that’s why I’m thinking you’ll struggle I don’t know.

End of the day there’s still plenty of time left this window hence why I’ve not done the League 1 predict the table challenge on this forum yet. It’s all about opinions and anything can happen in football. Just can’t wait for the season to kick off two weeks on Saturday now.
I'd be more worried about your management then your squad

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
and we were told that we should not expect to stay up in the european superleague that is EFL1.
Nobody had you down as a relegation team, but you was also told you would not finish top 10
As was said about Exeter

Will you kick on this season, i have my doubts only Bristol Rovers from your promoted season seem to have improved there squad

Fancy you to replicate last season....Exeter i think will struggle

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Nobody had you down as a relegation team, but you was also told you would not finish top 10
As was said about Exeter

Will you kick on this season, i have my doubts only Bristol Rovers from your promoted season seem to have improved there squad

With respect you don't know too much about our squad and we haven't finished yet. I predict we will beat 14th.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
As was said about Exeter

I think we're going to have to improve incrementally year on year. Would be amazed if we were to make the top 10 this season. Maybe 12th-15th realistically. Similar next season. Then hopefully some of our investments in youth will come to fruition and increase our budget to compete at the top end. There's definitely teams in this league, similar or not much bigger than Vale, who are paying out way, way more than their income. There'll be more going to the wall.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
With respect you don't know too much about our squad and we haven't finished yet. I predict we will beat 14th.
I know you have lost a decentish keeper in Blackman, your three best players in Key, Collins and Brown
Please tell me who you have replaced those 4 with

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
As was said about Exeter

we weren't told anything that we weren't already saying ourselves.

one cambridge fan basically made up that vale fans were on about a playoff push and everyone jumped on it. pretty sure every vale fan said mid table was the aim and top half would be a fantastic achievement. Maybe that changed in december when we were flirting with the playoffs before the implosion.

it'll be exactly the same for us this season. I'd snap your hand off for 12th right now but think it'll be a failure if we are in a relegation battle given the signings so far. If we don't sign another half decent striker or two...that could change.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I think we're going to have to improve incrementally year on year. Would be amazed if we were to make the top 10 this season. Maybe 12th-15th realistically. Similar next season. Then hopefully some of our investments in youth will come to fruition and increase our budget to compete at the top end. There's definitely teams in this league, similar or not much bigger than Vale, who are paying out way, way more than their income. There'll be more going to the wall.
Nothing at all wrong in that, by the way i am not giving it Billy big bollocks, just the way i see it
For what its worth Bolton at this moment are far weaker than last season when we finished 5th.....Not been impressed with our signing thus far bar our keeper.
Cogley, Forrester i hope will be eased in and Nlundulu is not a starter.
We have already lost George Johnston for the season

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leomary2000

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!