Stickied League 2 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2024/25

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We’ve hardly come across, so I might have a false impression on the sheer size of Port Vale, genuinely, but why are you guys so far behind the likes of Bolton, Blackpool, Bradford when it comes to your sub 5k attendances?

I mean, last season, despite Mansfield finishing 21st and Vale 8th you only managed a few hundred more than little Mansfield, and the season before you were actually averaging a few hundred less!

Is it a pricing issue? Do you have a high ifollow match pass percentage? Maybe the fans are staying at home, switching the stream on and having a beer instead? This needs to be investigate immediately.

The two first seasons back at this level were our worst in living memory for most fans and Stormin Norman had driven most of them away.

We aren’t as big as Bolton, nor Bradford even if they sell ST at around half the cost of ours.

Last season we didn’t get our biggest home gate either (Crewe).

If doing well we generally average 5500-6000 but have lost a lot to years of protests and apathy which are only just starting to come back. We’ve had two protests to remove bad owners in 6/7 years!

The interest is building back up though with the new owners and the fact we flogged 8000 for Man City without ever going on general sale, shirt sales etc. A lot who had stopped are now starting to come back hopefully and the damage done by V2001 and then Norman Smurthwaite can start to be undone.

We are not a massive club in the grand scheme of things, not since the 50s when we were raking in 20k averages anyway but for this level we are one of the bigger clubs, all be it depends what measure your using to define big I guess. I would class Bolton, Bradford and Tranmere as bigger this season size wise all things considered but not sure what the relevance is? You don’t get promoted on size.

Last edited:

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
It’s a bit like the Farman signing, He’s okay at this level but you know you can get better. The twitter reaction to him signing was a bit bizarre.
He’s more than ok for this level. I can understand you thinking he’s average or shit if he played as a wing back for you as he doesn’t have the attributes to be as effective there, but as a right back he’s one of the most consistent we’ve had since we’ve been back down at this level.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
You don’t get promoted on size is absolutely correct, so it’s best not to dismiss a club that is in the same division than you, and has similar attendances to you, spending more time in the Championship or whatever isn’t going to help you sign Maynard, or get promoted this season.

Nicky Maynard would definitely help you get promoted though!! I think his agent is having a good time.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
You don’t get promoted on size is absolutely correct, so it’s best not to dismiss a club that is in the same division than you, and has similar attendances to you, spending more time in the Championship or whatever isn’t going to help you sign Maynard, or get promoted this season.

Nicky Maynard would definitely help you get promoted though!! I think his agent is having a good time.
I have a feeling he may end up at Bolton....think him and Doyle up top would be awesome

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Been expecting it since David Dunn was announced as manager, but the Joe Nutall rumours have started. He should be decent at this level, but I can't see how we could afford him unless it's a loan and only paying part of his wages.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
We’ve hardly come across, so I might have a false impression on the sheer size of Port Vale, genuinely, but why are you guys so far behind the likes of Bolton, Blackpool, Bradford when it comes to your sub 5k attendances?

I mean, last season, despite Mansfield finishing 21st and Vale 8th you only managed a few hundred more than little Mansfield, and the season before you were actually averaging a few hundred less!

Is it a pricing issue? Do you have a high ifollow match pass percentage? Maybe the fans are staying at home, switching the stream on and having a beer instead? This needs to be investigate immediately.

They're not that far behind Blackpool really.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

Don’t see where anyone has dismissed your chances? I’ve mentioned above that you should improve this season. You’ve massively under achieved the past few years for the money you have spent (although your fans strangely get defensive when your spending is mentioned) and were poor last year but expect you to be challenging again.

Maynard Is a solid striker, looks like we have a few lined up by how quick we moved and secured Theo and the links with Hope, Theo has a similar record (surprisingly) so hopefully will do us the business. Four decent strikers now which is chalk and cheese from 18 months ago signing one from the US college level to cover Pope when Miller wasn’t available.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
They're not that far behind Blackpool really.

Support wise we’ve had periods recently as bigger prior to their rise to the top flight in fairness! But overall their time in the mid part of the 20th century probably does it for us there!

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Who's the best RB/RWB in the divison now Perry NG is no longer down here? Luke Hendrie probably a top ten contender, but I'd imagine there are plenty better out there still.

Can confidently state that neither of ours are in the top 30 in the division.

You don’t get promoted on size.

Yes you do. Bolton have the biggest ground in the division, which makes them champions

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Wellens had a ‘chat on the sofa’ yesterday. He was asked about Hope. Very cagey, said no attacking players will leave unless we get some in. We’re in the same boat as he also said we’re close to signing a striker but his present club has to get one in before they let him go.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

It’s down to individual circumstances really, I wouldn’t say we are mad, we’ve paid 100% wages during furlough rather than 80 and although some players maybe can afford it, many are still hand to mouth at this level so asking them to sign a contract where they are left effectively no income if full lockdown occurs again is a lot to ask. I wouldn’t be too chuffed if I had to sign that from my employer!

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Make some smart signings Peterborough.
And some terrible ones, which I think are masked over because of the success of the good ones. They've wasted millions down the years on their scatter-gun approach.

Yeah but they will spend half of what they get, sign another corker and make money again. It works really well for Peterborough
It's between them and Hull for Walker at the minute (who only has a year left on his deal I think).

League Two has changed I would say from our spell 2008-13 to this, then you had some real big clubs and it was a tough old league with Brentford, Bradford, Gills, Bournemouth, Luton, Rotherham, Plymouth, Swindon but now you do have more of the smaller clubs spending big that you don’t usually expect such as your Lincoln’s, Mansfield’s, Salford’s, so it isn’t easy and probably tougher to compete in.

It’s a bigger challenge certainly, that’s not to say it’s necessarily a bad thing, Salford aside maybe!
Ouch. That hurts.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Don’t see where anyone has dismissed your chances? I’ve mentioned above that you should improve this season. You’ve massively under achieved the past few years for the money you have spent (although your fans strangely get defensive when your spending is mentioned) and were poor last year but expect you to be challenging again.

Maynard Is a solid striker, looks like we have a few lined up by how quick we moved and secured Theo and the links with Hope, Theo has a similar record (surprisingly) so hopefully will do us the business. Four decent strikers now which is chalk and cheese from 18 months ago signing one from the US college level to cover Pope when Miller wasn’t available.

I wasn’t on about dismissing promotion, I’m on about the ‘he would only sign for Mansfield over Vale for money’ that’s a unfair assessment in the current climate, and shows you have a unrealistic heightened view of Port Vale in comparison to other L2 clubs.

I’m fully aware historically your natural level is a step above this, but that’s not going to make a difference. Having good owners, and being a good club like I think Vale are will help, but there’s many others at this level that can say the same.

I think Vale are one of the safest bets to do well next season, I wouldn’t even dare predict how we will do.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I wasn’t on about dismissing promotion, I’m on about the ‘he would only sign for Mansfield over Vale for money’ that’s a unfair assessment in the current climate, and shows you have a unrealistic heightened view of Port Vale in comparison to other L2 clubs.

I’m fully aware historically your natural level is a step above this, but that’s not going to make a difference. Having good owners, and being a good club like I think Vale are will help, but there’s many others at this level that can say the same.

I think Vale are one of the safest bets to do well next season, I wouldn’t even dare predict how we will do.

He will go Mansfield for the bigger money, same as he would come Vale if we offered more or Bradford if they do... 99% of the time thats what happens regardless of club size. Its not a dig at Mansfield but players generally follow the £ signs... as I guess in fairness most of us would in day to day jobs.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
If we sign Maynard we will be striker heavy, we already have Danny Rose, Andy Cook, Jordan Bowery, Jamie Reid, and young Jimmy Knowles who will go out on loan.

Jamie Reid and Bowery signed this summer, and I’m surprised we haven’t sold Andy Cook because he was clearly unhappy last season. The main reason I imagine we still want Maynard is because he’s a better proven goalscorer than all of them, Reid has bagged loads at NL level so that’s a stab in the dark.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
This thing with covid19 clauses is really dependent on how much the player will earn if we re-enter lockdown.

A lot of players at this level will be on something like £40-50k a year, think the average is nearer 40, but the players who are getting regular football will be near the higher end and young players can earn a lot less. Given the national average salary is about £36k then a professional footballer at this level can easily find themselves earning below what a typical member of the public might earn with the added uncertainty of finding yourself unemployed every year or two.

If you're then asking those players to accept a decrease in wages written into their contract in the event of another lock-down then good luck to you but you're going to struggle to attract players. Maybe though Grimsby are offering high salaries in which a 10-20% cut or so will still leave them with a decent income.

Looking up the figures to make this post, I was reminded that agents fees count towards the salary cap. I wonder how agents will react to that, as now it means if they ask for a high fee then they're taking money that could be used to pay the player; an agent who accepts a lower fee will be more able to negotiate a better deal for their player.

SirNat

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
And some terrible ones, which I think are masked over because of the success of the good ones. They've wasted millions down the years on their scatter-gun approach.

Probably so, you just hear about the successful ones.

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
One of 'those' Twitter accounts have linked us with Macclesfield Captain Fiacre Kelleher and people are now speculating he will be one of our few trailists for our friendly tonight. He would fit the bill for the type of players Matt Taylor is trying to get in this season so perhaps this rumour may have some legs.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Probably so, you just hear about the successful ones.
According to transfermarkt they paid £675k for Shwan Jalal.

Well over half a million for an average lower-league goalie.

£1.2 million on Tyrone Barnet who went on to score 12 times in over 60 apperances.

However the big profits they managed to make on players like Assombalonga, Dwight Gayle, Ryan Bennett and Connor Washington justify the flops somewhat. Usually within a season or two of buying them. It's just that when they decide to invest that money on a marquee signing for themselves they don't make the best of decisions it would appear.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
This thing with covid19 clauses is really dependent on how much the player will earn if we re-enter lockdown.

A lot of players at this level will be on something like £40-50k a year, think the average is nearer 40, but the players who are getting regular football will be near the higher end and young players can earn a lot less. Given the national average salary is about £36k then a professional footballer at this level can easily find themselves earning below what a typical member of the public might earn with the added uncertainty of finding yourself unemployed every year or two.

If you're then asking those players to accept a decrease in wages written into their contract in the event of another lock-down then good luck to you but you're going to struggle to attract players. Maybe though Grimsby are offering high salaries in which a 10-20% cut or so will still leave them with a decent income.

Looking up the figures to make this post, I was reminded that agents fees count towards the salary cap. I wonder how agents will react to that, as now it means if they ask for a high fee then they're taking money that could be used to pay the player; an agent who accepts a lower fee will be more able to negotiate a better deal for their player.
I was under the impression if you signed a player and offered him a Contract at say 52k a year to make things easy
He then would be paid 1k a week whether he plays three games or its the close season.

The will be no furlough this winter if a second wave hits

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
?

It’s down to individual circumstances really, I wouldn’t say we are mad, we’ve paid 100% wages during furlough rather than 80 and although some players maybe can afford it, many are still hand to mouth at this level so asking them to sign a contract where they are left effectively no income if full lockdown occurs again is a lot to ask. I wouldn’t be too chuffed if I had to sign that from my employer!
Then you wouldn't sign it, like Robinson didn't I guess? Holloway raises an incredibly valid point, if people are denying this then I don't know what else to say. I've been banging on about it all summer but so many clubs in this division are going about their business completely and utterly recklessly. If the second wave puts paid to the season then it's going to be disastrous for the majority of the division.

We definitely are struggling to attract players, but we do most summers anyway. Would be very very surprised if we're offering higher salaries too. As I've said all summer though, we'll have a club whatever else happens over the course of the next year. Can't say I'm particularly confident that all of the other twenty three clubs in the division will still be in existence this time next year.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
According to transfermarkt they paid £675k for Shwan Jalal.

Well over half a million for an average lower-league goalie.

£1.2 million on Tyrone Barnet who went on to score 12 times in over 60 apperances.

However the big profits they managed to make on players like Assombalonga, Dwight Gayle, Ryan Bennett and Connor Washington justify the flops somewhat. Usually within a season or two of buying them. It's just that when they decide to invest that money on a marquee signing for themselves they don't make the best of decisions it would appear.

Barnet was unlucky. He was at Crawley for half a season and we sold him to posh. He got involved in an off field incident where he received a police caution and was loaned to Ipswich where he did his knee in. He never really recovered from that but that half a season with us he was well worth that transfer fee.

Overall though, the buy everyone and sell them on is a weird way to operate. With all dross they end up with I cannot see how they make money on it.

Casey

Spanishstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield town
He will go Mansfield for the bigger money, same as he would come Vale if we offered more or Bradford if they do... 99% of the time thats what happens regardless of club size. Its not a dig at Mansfield but players generally follow the £ signs... as I guess in fairness most of us would in day to day jobs.
Well if he gets more money at mansfield than vale can afford to pay ,all it proves is that mansfield will have utilized there budget differently to vales,remember we are all capped at 1.5 million ,its just how you spend it

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Well if he gets more money at mansfield than vale can afford to pay ,all it proves is that mansfield will have utilized there budget differently to vales,remember we are all capped at 1.5 million ,its just how you spend it

We like can pay it but wont, from what I gather he verbally agreed Friday, then the Stags offer came in so we wouldnt budge and went for Theo.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I was under the impression if you signed a player and offered him a Contract at say 52k a year to make things easy
He then would be paid 1k a week whether he plays three games or its the close season.

Well that's why I converted player wages into yearly wages, as most players will be signing contracts for multiples of 12 months so they'll get that amount if they see out their contract. When people talk about players being on x amount per week I often find it difficult to visualise what that means because I'm use to money being thought of per year.

People can get very judgy about how much players earn, but at this level there's likely to be a significant number of people in the crowds who are getting paid more than the footballers they're moaning about.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United

Pretty sure the average League Two wage was more in the region of £75k a year.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Well that's why I converted player wages into yearly wages, as most players will be signing contracts for multiples of 12 months so they'll get that amount if they see out their contract. When people talk about players being on x amount per week I often find it difficult to visualise what that means because I'm use to money being thought of per year.

People can get very judgy about how much players earn, but at this level there's likely to be a significant number of people in the crowds who are getting paid more than the footballers they're moaning about.
The comments are about Holloway not signing players because they want paying if a second wave hit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drenux25

Latest posts

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!