The 2015/16 National League North Thread

Idsall Buck

Reaction score
Supports
Telford United
Telford United 5 (yes, 5) - 1 FC Utd Manchester. Att. 1323.
Bizarre game, we could have been 2 down before we scored. Keeper then goes off injured, outfield player goes in goal, then gets sent off, conceding a penalty, 2nd outfield player goes in goal. 2 up at half time. Second half we added 3 quality goals, but still managed to conceed one.
Three times we've beaten FCuM this season! Three away games coming up - Solihull, Stalybridge & Alfreton, still not out of the woods.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
What are Curzon Ashton like as a club.............can anyone shed any light?

I am moving down to Manchester at start of march and for maybe a year cannot really afford to head to Carlisle each week so I am thinking of a local football fix.

Trying moreso to head into cheaper non-league, going to be in Middleton so my local side would be FCUM who are around corner, but I think I'd rather head to Curzon who seem a small conf North club (would need money)

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
What are Curzon Ashton like as a club.............can anyone shed any light?

I am moving down to Manchester at start of march and for maybe a year cannot really afford to head to Carlisle each week so I am thinking of a local football fix.

Trying moreso to head into cheaper non-league, going to be in Middleton so my local side would be FCUM who are around corner, but I think I'd rather head to Curzon who seem a small conf North club (would need money)
Curzon area very very small Conference North Club. Very traditional non - league. They have a very nice Ground. Seem very nice people. Very talkative and accommodating. Plus they were push overs on the pitch and we won with ease (2-0) Their natural Level is Evo Stik Divsion North so they are punching well above their weight. I spoke at length while I was there with someone high up at the club. They same they are very set in the ways and are yet to really embrace this level. They are learning as they go along and just hope to stay at this level as long as they can and are weary of "Second Season Syndrome" next year when everyone will have figured them out.

Hope this helps mate.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
as long as they are not a small bankrolled lot that is good.

I was tempted to them as I see they only get 250 fans and probs need money more than FCUM with their 2,500.

plus I can easily get to both, but I wondered why they had them and Ashton United and rather than 1 side.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton

I was tempted to them as I see they only get 250 fans and probs need money more than FCUM with their 2,500.

plus I can easily get to both, but I wondered why they had them and Ashton United and rather than 1 side.
They are certainly not bankrolled mate.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Another win for Trinity and up to 8th.

Didn't realise 2nd to 6th was so close and then such a gap to 7th. You'd expect the top 4 to pull away from 5th with games in hand.

Josh Butler

Reaction score
Supports
Boston Utd
Weird how 3 games ago we were looking real good then we lose 2 or 3 players and buy players seemingly not up to scratch and a lucky win v Hednesford, a defeat at Gloucester and a tonking at home to Stalybridge later, our top 5 position looks very tight. Nuneaton go above us with any result in their game in hand and the game at York St in April could be huge as it looks like us or them will miss out

Josh Butler

Reaction score
Supports
Boston Utd
We played today, 2nd half especially, like 11 blokes who'd never seen eachother before. Need to improve and getting Mills, McEvoy and Southwell back as soon as we can will help. If we put out our first team we're in a good position but no depth there at the moment

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham

Tameside (borough next door to you) has a surprisingly large number of non-league teams - Curzon, Ashton Utd, Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Droylsden.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
We played today, 2nd half especially, like 11 blokes who'd never seen eachother before. Need to improve and getting Mills, McEvoy and Southwell back as soon as we can will help. If we put out our first team we're in a good position but no depth there at the moment
Its a tough ask but on our current form we might yet feature... just.

Our very late play-off charge is in full swing

FC United 1-3 Alfreton (Madeley 45) (Meikle 61,Jones 70, Bradley 83)

Thats 10 Unbeaten and four straight away league wins aftet this latest success.

We werent great in the first half. 2 weeks without any action showed and we badly missed Brad McGowan. A World class save from Matt Duke kept the score down as we went in at the break 1-0. We barely threatened offensively in the first half although could have easily been level at the break as Joe Leesley took aim from 30 yards only to see his thunderous shot crash back off the underside of the bar.

Despite dominating FC really werent much to write home about.

Nicky really lay in to the players at HT and it showed. We totally tore them to shreds much like Brackley with our sheer pace and directness. They just could not cope with Jamie Jackson. 7 or 8 times he was cynically brought down. Scott Kay was booked on the hour for once such offence only to do it again minutes late. The Ref struggled to keep control in the second half as he just stood there blowing his whisle like a schoolboy as several skirmishes happened around him. And he totally bottled it as Kay should have been given his marching orderers. But instead it was a stern talking to!

Scrappy Leveller from Meikle but the other two were anything but. An Superb 25 yad free kick from Sam Jones before sealed the game with a excellent, classy finish on the break after yet more good work from MOTM Jamie Jackson

Finally my thoughts on FCUM - Excellent set up and an very impressive modern ground. Enjoyable away ground and mostly very approachable people. Things got very heated in the second half and partizan. Most of that was aimed at the Ref and the apparent "play acting" from our players. To be fair to the FC ffans though a lot were very complimentary of our second half performance. Overall a very enjoyable away day. I can see why however there are many bad stories about FC fans and the general experience from some fans.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Like I say its a tough ask. All we can do is keeping winning and hope that you and Nuneaton continue to drop points. Nuneaton have been in below par form since number and you seem to have hit the wall!

I can see your extremely fortunate home win against us proving the difference. We look extremely strong at the moment. Not sure were we are going to suffer our next defeat.

Bluandwite

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
Its a tough ask but on our current form we might yet feature... just.

Our very late play-off charge is in full swing

FC United 1-3 Alfreton (Madeley 45) (Meikle 61,Jones 70, Bradley 83)

Thats 10 Unbeaten and four straight away league wins aftet this latest success.

We werent great in the first half. 2 weeks without any action showed and we badly missed Brad McGowan. A World class save from Matt Duke kept the score down as we went in at the break 1-0. We barely threatened offensively in the first half although could have easily been level at the break as Joe Leesley took aim from 30 yards only to see his thunderous shot crash back off the underside of the bar.

Despite dominating FC really werent much to write home about.

Nicky really lay in to the players at HT and it showed. We totally tore them to shreds much like Brackley with our sheer pace and directness. They just could not cope with Jamie Jackson. 7 or 8 times he was cynically brought down. Scott Kay was booked on the hour for once such offence only to do it again minutes late. The Ref struggled to keep control in the second half as he just stood there blowing his whisle like a schoolboy as several skirmishes happened around him. And he totally bottled it as Kay should have been given his marching orderers. But instead it was a stern talking to!

Scrappy Leveller from Meikle but the other two were anything but. An Superb 25 yad free kick from Sam Jones before sealed the game with a excellent, classy finish on the break after yet more good work from MOTM Jamie Jackson

Finally my thoughts on FCUM - Excellent set up and an very impressive modern ground. Enjoyable away ground and mostly very approachable people. Things got very heated in the second half and partizan. Most of that was aimed at the Ref and the apparent "play acting" from our players. To be fair to the FC ffans though a lot were very complimentary of our second half performance. Overall a very enjoyable away day. I can see why however there are many bad stories about FC fans and the general experience from some fans.
They're difficult to assess, I have a begrudging respect for them in many ways but as that implies, I don't like them, at all. They can be very bitter indeed, the tester with them is coming up against them in direct competition.

From my experience, more don't like them than do.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
They're difficult to assess, I have a begrudging respect for them in many ways but as that implies, I don't like them, at all. They can be very bitter indeed, the tester with them is coming up against them in direct competition.

From my experience, more don't like them than do.
Yes to say a lot of their fans (not all) dont accept defeat well is an understatement I think. Which makes even more satisfying when you beat them

Think this stems from the fact a lot of their fans are not "traditional Non League Fans"

Josh Butler

Reaction score
Supports
Boston Utd
Like I say its a tough ask. All we can do is keeping winning and hope that you and Nuneaton continue to drop points. Nuneaton have been in below par form since number and you seem to have hit the wall!

I can see your extremely fortunate home win against us proving the difference. We look extremely strong at the moment. Not sure were we are going to suffer our next defeat.

I'd be surprised if someone from outside the current top 6 came through but we did last year if you look at you or especially Chorley with games in hand, they get won and they beat us in 4 weeks they could get a chance... we have a tough last 10 games so need to get points in our next 2 games to give us a buffer to play with

CFC4LIFE

Reaction score
Supports
Chorley FC/ Blackburn Rovers
Good win against Worcester yesterday, didn't know Clayton McDonald could get any fatter!

Idsall Buck

Reaction score
Supports
Telford United
Solihull Motors 2 - 1 Telford United. How did we lose that! Totally out-played our hosts in the 2nd half. But poor defending for both their goals, did for us in the end.
Damson Park really does need some money spending on it for Conference Premier level + Plus the car park has more pot holes than the moon.

Solihull Mooron

Reaction score
Supports
Solihull Moors
Our Car park is awful, and a bit of a cheek that we charge £2 to park on it. We dominated the 1st half and scored 2 early goals. In the 2nd half, you did have the majority of the possession, but lack the quality to do much with it. I wouldn't think you would go down though.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Yes to say a lot of their fans (not all) dont accept defeat well is an understatement I think. Which makes even more satisfying when you beat them

Think this stems from the fact a lot of their fans are not "traditional Non League Fans"
As you're also a Man Utd fan, any ambivalence about this game? If Alfreton don't go up, would you like to see FCUM make it [although clearly not going to happen this season]?

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Tameside (borough next door to you) has a surprisingly large number of non-league teams - Curzon, Ashton Utd, Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Droylsden.

i notice that it is very surprising but I suppose it makes for an interesting lower league scene with afew derby games.

Have selected Curzon Ashton, at least you lot ain't a fan of theirs here so should add another poster to the mix, am used to smaller crowds, done afew workington games when Carlisle were away and they used to be in Conf North. Suppose I just need Salford up now or Ashton United to add some more away trips.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
As you're also a Man Utd fan, any ambivalence about this game? If Alfreton don't go up, would you like to see FCUM make it [although clearly not going to happen this season]?
Its a difficult one. I have a fair amount of sympathy with their opposition to The Glazers and to an extent what they stand for. However having said that I think they have gone the wrong way about it all. All this shit about against Modern Football. The hatred towards BT Sport and the like, the lack of a burger/food inside the ground at HT. Just silly. Also its safe to say they dont take defeat well!!

Id never want they to profit at Alfreton`s expense. And to be honest they are an absolute world away of getting out of this league as you say. Depends. Their ground and general set up is Football league in waiting so I wouldnt hold anything against them.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Problem for them is will they actually want higher than conf north?

Once you get out of Conference North it then becomes a lot more 'corporate' Match segregation, sponsorship, you begin to need to pay for things like radio commentary/highlights, games move for TV, etc, etc.

it'll be interesting to see a club which could get itself into the FL maybe try and attempt to not get into the FL because it will ruin what it was created for.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Problem for them is will they actually want higher than conf north?

Once you get out of Conference North it then becomes a lot more 'corporate' Match segregation, sponsorship, you begin to need to pay for things like radio commentary/highlights, games move for TV, etc, etc.

it'll be interesting to see a club which could get itself into the FL maybe try and attempt to not get into the FL because it will ruin what it was created for.
Unless they change their principles and model then they have hit their ceiling league wise.

CFC4LIFE

Reaction score
Supports
Chorley FC/ Blackburn Rovers
Atrocious tonight. Enough said

Solihull Mooron

Reaction score
Supports
Solihull Moors
Its a difficult one. I have a fair amount of sympathy with their opposition to The Glazers and to an extent what they stand for. However having said that I think they have gone the wrong way about it all. All this shit about against Modern Football. The hatred towards BT Sport and the like, the lack of a burger/food inside the ground at HT. Just silly. Also its safe to say they dont take defeat well!!

Id never want they to profit at Alfreton`s expense. And to be honest they are an absolute world away of getting out of this league as you say. Depends. Their ground and general set up is Football league in waiting so I wouldnt hold anything against them.
You're a Man Utd fan? I can't take you seriously anymore :ds:

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
You're a Man Utd fan? I can't take you seriously anymore :ds:
Yes I am.Fair enough.I was rather fortunate (or unfortunate depending on your view of United) that the first ever football game I watched was the 1999 Champions League Final...safe to say I have supported United ever since. But in 2008 I discovered that football outside the Premier League/Football League existed when I visited the Impact and from then on my love of all things Alfreton/ Non League was born. :)

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Yes I am.Fair enough.I was rather fortunate (or unfortunate depending on your view of United) that the first ever football game I watched was the 1999 Champions League Final...safe to say I have supported United ever since. But in 2008 I discovered that football outside the Premier League/Football League existed when I visited the Impact and from then on my love of all things Alfreton/ Non League was born. :)

Two club wanker... ;)

You are missing out on all the fun of explaining to random people that you really do only follow your local side and the confused looks you get as a response. The sentences like "yeah but who's your REAL club" or "but which premier league team do you follow" and the followup confusion. It's quite an eye opener as to how blind the average football fan really is (since the average football fan has probably, sadly, never been to a game live these days).

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
I am becoming a two club fan....but since my Two clubs will be Carlisle United and Curzon Ashton.............which will be my glory hunting club :fart:

I actually do not mind a top flight fan who goes to see a non-league side during the season, if more fans would go and support their local non-league clubs when their usual League club is away it would help the non-league area quite abit.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Two club wanker... ;)

You are missing out on all the fun of explaining to random people that you really do only follow your local side and the confused looks you get as a response. The sentences like "yeah but who's your REAL club" or "but which premier league team do you follow" and the followup confusion. It's quite an eye opener as to how blind the average football fan really is (since the average football fan has probably, sadly, never been to a game live these days).
Absolutely. It real shame that more football fans my age have the brand that is the premier league forced down their throats and dont realilse/know that there is a whole different world to football that exists probably not far from their doorsteps!

Dont worry I had fun of many similar conversations. As you say it can be great fun. Although with the current farcical situation at Old Trafford we are being a bit of a laughing stock!!

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
I am becoming a two club fan....but since my Two clubs will be Carlisle United and Curzon Ashton.............which will be my glory hunting club :fart:

I actually do not mind a top flight fan who goes to see a non-league side during the season, if more fans would go and support their local non-league clubs when their usual League club is away it would help the non-league area quite abit.

Oh don't get me wrong - 2 club fans following a non-league side are far better than the alternative "1 club" fans who only ever watch premier league games on TV for a side they've maybe been to see once in their life.

It's weird to me that when we were in the league with R&DFC, as well as when we'd dropped back down to the conference, I'd say >50% of fans would support a premier league team, even among those that went home and away every week. I wonder how it is for established lower league sides (i.e. those that have not been top flight for 30+ years if ever, but have a long standing of being league clubs since before the premier league was founded).

It's better than nothing for the non-league sides, and I don't decry those that turn up for AFCR&D games, but it really shows which club people see as their first on days when there's champions league on the telly or a mid-table clash on a cold Tuesday night in whatever lower league/non-league division.

One of the biggest things I'd say to the man on the street considering it is this - you can actually have a very minor influence on the game you turn up to. An extra voice in a song, or a heckle of an opposition player that gets under their skin (which is quite gratifying!). Watching on TV you might as well watch a repeat when you get back for all the difference it will make to the result (n.b. I do get the difference in entertainment live vs replayed on TV).

Solihull Mooron

Reaction score
Supports
Solihull Moors
I'm Moors and Villa, but go home and most away games with Moors, as it's cheaper and more enjoyable, when your team is top of the league :2thumb:.
Darksithlord - I'm glad you found Alfreton, I can't stand Man Utd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leomary2000

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!