w / e Saturday 24th February

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
You may want to read that back to yourself. "Been awful for 3 years", "the last 5 games have been like winning the title for us"

Both sound concerning to me.
Not really, I think we are turning a corner and the last 5 games is more the seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I’d be more concerned about your own form rather than a side not likely to trouble either end of the table, unless yo see us as a threat for the mid table title

AnotherStagsFan

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Not sure what County fans were expecting, bringing in a manager with minimal success from a mid table conference side. I know they believe league 2 isn’t a step up but unfortunately it has been for Maynard

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Not sure what County fans were expecting, bringing in a manager with minimal success from a mid table conference side. I know they believe league 2 isn’t a step up but unfortunately it has been for Maynard

There were plenty of better options for them, managers with lower league successes but no they shoot themselves in the foot and go for some no name manager who came from some novelty non league club no one had ever heard of until that fan with the catchphrase came along.

Notts county are a complete joke club always have been.

saddler78

Reaction score
Supports
walsall
Crawley and gills don't play on Tuesday if we can win we go 7th seems strange after how inconsistent we have been this season but we do seem to be coming good at just the right time.

RavenBish

Antihero
Reaction score
Supports
Shola Ameobi's Notts County
There were not plenty of options if we’re honest. As much as Maynard could possibly not be the one, there wasn’t much to choose from.

I think the problem with Notts’ struggles is it’s far more nuanced than many can put their finger on. ‘Sign defenders’ is a lazy assumption, we’ve got some good ones - Baldwin and Macari are great for example. Maynard also isn’t really to blame (but also might not be the one who can fix it either), we were in relegation form when Williams left. The root of the problem is far more hand wavey unfortunately - defensively we create most of our own problems rather than simply having players who ‘can’t defend’ and we’ve looked languid with the ball for months (frequently bailed out by Jones creating goals out of nothing every week for an unsustainable stretch of games).

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Bar the last 10 minutes plus added time where we understandably sat back and conserved energy and effectively gave Notts a goal, I don't think we'll get a more comfortable away win than that this season. Notts the architects of their own downfall with relentless dicking about at the back, a very one dimensional style on play that seemed heavily reliant on Jodi Jones and a very unconvincing keeper who I believe struggled to get a game for Crawley!

Perfect away performance from us. Got the early goal from the excellent Mickey Demetriou. Excellent through ball from Charlie which played in Nevitt who was taken down by the keeper for a stonewall penalty which Nevitt excellently dispatched and a lovely goal from Josh Austerfield from range sealed it for us. All in all a very comfortable performance and deservedly back into the Top 3. Lovely to win at what has been a real bogey ground for us over the years too!

Notts, like they were in the reverse fixture, were all style over substance. Barely tested Davies again just like the first game and looked very ineffective and certainly shaky at the back. Dan Crowley was the definition of anonymous for all the hype I've seen about him. I thought Jodi Jones was their best player rather than the much-maligned Robertson (a player in our worst side in the last 40 odd years hence the booing) as he was trying to make things happen and you can see he's a quality player. Nemane and Jatta's first touches often ended up at the City Ground they were that poor.

I'm not saying anyone on here was guilty of this as the Notts posters I've seen on here are fair and knowledgeable on the whole. But when you saw some Notts fans on X dismissing League Two as "a poor league" and that the National League had more quality in it going back to last season and certainly earlier this season, it's good to see these fans saying that humbled a bit. This is a far better league than the primitive National League. There's certainly more defensive quality and a well balanced squad is a great recipe for success in this league. In the National League, it seems most the sides, even the top sides at times, can't defend and the big budget sides just spunk the cash on a glut of strikers to make sure they'll get over the line. You're seeing some Chesterfield fans now say the same things as those small minority of Notts and indeed some Wrexham fans were saying in the past about the NL apparently being better than League Two. They need to get real and accept the football pyramid doesn't lie.

A positive though and it was great to see a big crowd at Notts compare Obviously difficult for them to get big crowds given Forest are a much bigger club and having their best spell for a generation or so. But to get 10,000 home fans at full price is excellent and it's good to see clubs grow at the lower levels in the modern day. However, with big crowds comes great expectation, and I think the Notts job may be a job too big for Stuart Maynard who has clearly taken a huge step up from Wealdstone to Notts and maybe too big a step up at that. It wouldn't surprise me to see Notts change their manager again in the coming weeks.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Not really, I think we are turning a corner and the last 5 games is more the seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I’d be more concerned about your own form rather than a side not likely to trouble either end of the table, unless yo see us as a threat for the mid table title

Well it's definitely better to turn the corner in February and start seeing some light than not at all. Ask those below you.

Of course I am more concerned about form, we've turned the corner the other way as of January. If it continues we could end up in the bottom half of the table, if it doesn't top 10?! Either way could be a lot worse.

Understandably I'm not bothered about those near the bottom bar Grimsby who I want to stay up and am starting to worry about. They need a win and sharpish.

Last edited:

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Well its their gamble ,they appointed a non league nobody as it suits their philosophy doing it (the notts way ) :tw:

Most appointments are a gamble by any club, as a Mansfield fan you must remember some of your past gambles/appointments. Carlton Palmer springs instantly to mind :bg:

Our owners have made 3 managerial appointments, Burchnall, Williams and Maynard, three risky unknowns and stuck to their philosophy so far it's done very well.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
There were plenty of better options for them, managers with lower league successes but no they shoot themselves in the foot and go for some no name manager who came from some novelty non league club no one had ever heard of until that fan with the catchphrase came along.

Notts county are a complete joke club always have been.

These sound like the words of a fan of a club miles adrift and rock bottom of their league. Not surprised that you are rightly setting your sights on L2 just like your exciting new owners have.

Last edited:

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
Bar the last 10 minutes plus added time where we understandably sat back and conserved energy and effectively gave Notts a goal, I don't think we'll get a more comfortable away win than that this season. Notts the architects of their own downfall with relentless dicking about at the back, a very one dimensional style on play that seemed heavily reliant on Jodi Jones and a very unconvincing keeper who I believe struggled to get a game for Crawley!

Perfect away performance from us. Got the early goal from the excellent Mickey Demetriou. Excellent through ball from Charlie which played in Nevitt who was taken down by the keeper for a stonewall penalty which Nevitt excellently dispatched and a lovely goal from Josh Austerfield from range sealed it for us. All in all a very comfortable performance and deservedly back into the Top 3. Lovely to win at what has been a real bogey ground for us over the years too!

Notts, like they were in the reverse fixture, were all style over substance. Barely tested Davies again just like the first game and looked very ineffective and certainly shaky at the back. Dan Crowley was the definition of anonymous for all the hype I've seen about him. I thought Jodi Jones was their best player rather than the much-maligned Robertson (a player in our worst side in the last 40 odd years hence the booing) as he was trying to make things happen and you can see he's a quality player. Nemane and Jatta's first touches often ended up at the City Ground they were that poor.

I'm not saying anyone on here was guilty of this as the Notts posters I've seen on here are fair and knowledgeable on the whole. But when you saw some Notts fans on X dismissing League Two as "a poor league" and that the National League had more quality in it going back to last season and certainly earlier this season, it's good to see these fans saying that humbled a bit. This is a far better league than the primitive National League. There's certainly more defensive quality and a well balanced squad is a great recipe for success in this league. In the National League, it seems most the sides, even the top sides at times, can't defend and the big budget sides just spunk the cash on a glut of strikers to make sure they'll get over the line. You're seeing some Chesterfield fans now say the same things as those small minority of Notts and indeed some Wrexham fans were saying in the past about the NL apparently being better than League Two. They need to get real and accept the football pyramid doesn't lie.

A positive though and it was great to see a big crowd at Notts compare Obviously difficult for them to get big crowds given Forest are a much bigger club and having their best spell for a generation or so. But to get 10,000 home fans at full price is excellent and it's good to see clubs grow at the lower levels in the modern day. However, with big crowds comes great expectation, and I think the Notts job may be a job too big for Stuart Maynard who has clearly taken a huge step up from Wealdstone to Notts and maybe too big a step up at that. It wouldn't surprise me to see Notts change their manager again in the coming weeks.
When did anyone seriously say the NL was better than League Two? And why would they? Think you've made that one up.

People might have said they didn't believe the step up was as big as some were saying but that was about it.

lordofthepies

A shit Martino
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Twitter
@aitchyrobinson
When did anyone seriously say the NL was better than League Two? And why would they? Think you've made that one up.

People might have said they didn't believe the step up was as big as some were saying but that was about it.
I've definitely seen it on Twitter, although it's probably people who don't actually go to football and give Adam Summerton too much credibility.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

What's with the essay?

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe

Why would I make up something as trivial as that? The 3 up 3 down brigade at their peak were constantly tweeting shite like that. And, as LOTP has stated, Adam Summerton sure has downplayed the strength of League Two and overhyped the National League beyond belief.

The step up is huge. No doubt about it.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
What's with the essay?

I thought after a certain club produced a boringly sterile 13 part or so multi-season documentary about life in the lower leagues that long-winded crap was in fashion these days. An essay is all I have the time and budget for though as opposed to a documentary, sadly.

Reaction score
Supports
Notts
Summerton is paid to advertise the National League, why would anyone expect him to be objective on Twitter about it?

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
I thought after a certain club produced a boringly sterile 13 part or so multi-season documentary about life in the lower leagues that long-winded crap was in fashion these days. An essay is all I have the time and budget for though as opposed to a documentary, sadly.
maxresdefault.jpg

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
These sound like the words of a fan of a club miles adrift and rock bottom of their league. Not surprised that you are rightly setting your sights on L2 just like your exciting new owners have.

You don't know our situation, but at least we didn't become an established non league club of recent years who celebrated breaking non league records.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
You are quite right, maybe you can me and anyone interested all about it next season.

It's true we had 4 seasons in the 5th tier, we were formed in 1862.

I watched many of those games in NL, I'm also old enough to have seen us in the top tier too. Hope you are old enough to say the same with Carlisle?

Last edited:

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Snuck ahead in goals scored too (to match the least goals conceded)

Please, pretty please keep coming and playing open attacking football with us!

womble76

Reaction score
Supports
wimbledon
You are quite right, maybe you can me and anyone interested all about it next season.

It's true we had 4 seasons in the 5th tier, we were formed in 1863.

I watched many of those games in NL, I'm also old enough to have seen us in the top tier too. Hope you are old enough to say the same with Carlisle?
I've seen you in top.tier. bizarrely I was at spurs v notts I think back in day. You lost 2 1 if I'm not senile yet.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
We will as we just can't play any other way.

Is Milton Keynes still under covid lockdown or something? Whenever I see the football league highlights your stadium looks so empty it makes me wonder why a club needs such a big ground when you can hardly fill it.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Fair play to Crewe. I know Notts under Maynard is not the proposition it was at the start of the season under Williams but its a great win. Lee Bell manager of the season so far IMO.

We should have beaten Swindon really but you don't get points for "should have, could have" in football. Think we'll struggle for top three, our players look really edgy and it's a different team every week no consistency and relationships in building play.

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
Is Milton Keynes still under covid lockdown or something? Whenever I see the football league highlights your stadium looks so empty it makes me wonder why a club needs such a big ground when you can hardly fill it.
As part of the agreement to move the club we needed to build a 'super stadium'. I'd have preferred to use that area for the training ground and to develop the Hockey Stadium myself, but we had to go stadium first.

It is worth noting that the bit behind the goal to the left on the TV camera's is the away section though, not that it makes the rest look any better.

Spanishstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield town
Most appointments are a gamble by any club, as a Mansfield fan you must remember some of your past gambles/appointments. Carlton Palmer springs instantly to mind :bg:

Our owners have made 3 managerial appointments, Burchnall, Williams and Maynard, three risky unknowns and stuck to their philosophy so far it's done very well.
Notts county mad certainly makes interesting reading re maynard

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County

You've summed us up really well I think. Overall we're lightweight and I'll be glad to finish the season in L2 and go again next season.
The club has perhaps underestimated how important the manager is, assuming that " the system" is all and personnel can be bolted on to it. It's not the case, personnel are everything in football, They are the product and we've probably got ten players in the squad who should be released in the summer.
I'm not entirely sure whether Maynard is out of his depth, Williams over achieved or a bit of both but apart from a purple patch in the Autumn we've for the most part looked undercooked.

I thought you were very efficient, defended well, scored your chances, ran the clock down and just had a very comfortable day, too easy from our point of view.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
You don't know our situation, but at least we didn't become an established non league club of recent years who celebrated breaking non league records.
I know you're going down and have dropped into non league. You're out on a limb and will never, ever be a big club and I know that you'll always be a slightly odd character along the lines of B2TF the Halifax fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!