Relegation Thread 23/24 Sponsored by Sadford City

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Starting to think we might be in a bit of trouble here.

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
51 - Survival 12/13
50 - Survival 13/14 Mansfield(26)
49 - Barrow(27)
48 - Survival 10/11
47 - Survival 16/17 Crewe(27)
46 - Survival 17/18, 20/21
45 - Survival 11/12, Average Points needed for Survival(2010-2023)
44 - Survival 22/23
43 - Notts County(27)
42 - MK Dons(25)
41 - Survival 14/15, 18/19 Gillingham(26)
40 - Harrogate(27)
39 - Survival 21/22 AFC Wimbledon(26), Crawley(27)
38 - Accrington(27)
37 -
36 - Walsall(26)
35 - Survival 15/16 Bradford(27)
34 - Swindon(28), Morecambe(25), Newport(27)
33 - Expected Survival 23/24 Tranmere(28),
32 -
31 -
30 -
29 -
28 - Grimsby(27), Doncaster(27)
27 - Salford(27)
26 -
25 - Colchester(28)
24 -
23 -
22 -
21 -
20 -
------------------------------------------------------
19 - Sutton(26)
18 - Forest Green(26)

17th - Newport County - 34 points, -6 GD: Wrexham(H), Harrogate(A), Swindon(H), Walsall(A), Notts County(H)
18th - Tranmere Rovers - 33 points, 1 GD: Swindon(A), Grimsby(A), Crewe(H), Doncaster(A), Morecambe(H)
19th - Grimsby Town, 28 points, -9 GD: Harrogate(A), Tranmere(H), Accrington(A), Stockport(H), Colchester(A)
20th - Doncaster Rovers, 28 points, -15 GD: Bradford(A), Stockport(H), Sutton(A), Tranmere(H), Salford(A)
21st - Salford City, 27 points, -13 GD: Colchester(H), Bradford(A), Crewe(A), Wrexham(H), Swindon(A)
22nd - Colchester United, 25 points, -17 GD: Salford(A), Morecambe(A), Forest Green(H), Harrogate(A), Grimsby(H)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
23rd - Sutton United, 19 points, -24 GD:
Mansfield(A), Walsall(A), Harrogate(H), Doncaster(H), Morecambe(A)
24th - Forest Green Rovers, 18 points, -22 GD: Mansfield(A), Gillingham(A), Accrington(H), Colchester(A), Mansfield(H)

Big wins for Salford and Newport amongst the bottom 8. Tranmere slip into the bottom 8 with a defeat, but we can be realistic and say nobody above Grimsby is going down barring something ridiculous between now and the end of the season. Colchester stay the closest to trouble, but they got a decent point at home to Bradford. Doncaster are sliding a bit, which will be a concern.

Another poor result for FGR, who slip even further away from safety. Only takes one win, but that's looking a million miles away right now. Sutton get a scrappy point and get off the bottom, but games are slipping away and they need wins, especially at home. Starting to look a bit grim for both teams, although things can quickly change.

Next week's fixtures:

Tuesday 16th January

Mansfield Town v Forest Green Rovers

Friday 19th January
Salford City
v Colchester United

Saturday 20th January
Bradford City v Doncaster Rovers
Gillingham v Forest Green Rovers
Harrogate Town v Grimsby Town
Mansfield Town v Sutton United
Newport County v Wrexham
Swindon Town v Tranmere Rovers

Interesting to see all bar Salford away from home next week. FGR have a couple of tough games and it's hard to see wins in either of them. That Salford v Colchester looks massive given both are sat just above the relegation zone.

Donny I think have a chance at a result at Bradford given the Bantams aren't in the best form. Grimsby face an in form Harrogate side suddenly looking like a play-off contender. Sutton you can't see getting anything at Mansfield. Newport you'd fancy to get something from Wrexham, these are the sorts of games they thrive on, especially at home. Tranmere I can getting a result at a badly out of form Swindon.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
I still think that Sutton might get out of this, they showed a lot of fight today. FGR look like they couldn't win a fight with a vegan u-18 women's team at present though. If Colchester win at Salford though defeats for FGR and Sutton could be terminal if they both lose.

JaredSUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton United FC
Twitter
@suttonjared
I still think that Sutton might get out of this, they showed a lot of fight today. FGR look like they couldn't win a fight with a vegan u-18 women's team at present though. If Colchester win at Salford though defeats for FGR and Sutton could be terminal if they both lose.

There’s been a definite improvement in performance since the Stockport game, the change in management, sad as it was, seems to have produced a new attitude.

Steve Morison has talked about changing the atmosphere among the players, trying to reinstall their confidence and belief.

We do however need wins. 5 points from 5 games isn’t an awful return (and is a better record than the other 3 teams around us over a similar amount of games) however wins are what we need. It’s coming but time is running out.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
There’s been a definite improvement in performance since the Stockport game, the change in management, sad as it was, seems to have produced a new attitude.

Steve Morison has talked about changing the atmosphere among the players, trying to reinstall their confidence and belief.

We do however need wins. 5 points from 5 games isn’t an awful return (and is a better record than the other 3 teams around us over a similar amount of games) however wins are what we need. It’s coming but time is running out.
Your experience seems completely the opposite to ours...after changing manager...there was an immediate improvement in performance, we have looked almost competitive at times, much of that might have been down to adjusting the formation but keep shooting ourselves in the foot.

Deeney has set about destroying whatever confidence and belief our squad might have had, his post match interviews after Salford and again yesterday were bordering on madness...although some of our fans seem to relish in the fact that he has told some home truths, I fall into the category of believing stuff like that is better done in private.

We also need wins, three points from six games under Deeney isn't anywhere near what we need to have a chance of staying up, it is a worse return per game than his predecessor.

We are doomed I tell you!

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
You can usually survive bad managers and bad players but 9 times out of 10 what gets you relegated out of the League is having bad owners.
We were the one 1 out of 10 unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which way you want to look at it!). Bloody Steve Tilson...

Meadow

Not a lad
Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon

There's definitely some fight there. I still can't work out how you beat our first choice team on Boxing Day.

I hate being in the same league as you lot. Not because I dislike you like I do MK, but because I regard Sutton as my second team and I'd dearly love to be in a different league, preferably with us in the one above.

What would be ideal is us going up via the playoffs and you avoiding relegation. Failing that, I'd live with us being in the same league providing we win both matches.

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
51 - Mansfield(27)
50 - Crewe(28)
49 - Barrow(28)
48 -
47 -
46 -
45 - Average Survival(2010-2023), MK Dons(27)
44 -
43 - Notts County(27)
42 - Gillingham(27)
41 -
40 - Harrogate(27)
39 - AFC Wimbledon(26), Crawley(27)
38 - Accrington(27)
37 - Morecambe(26), Newport(28)
36 - Walsall(26), Bradford(28)
35 - Expected Survival 23/24
34 - Swindon(28)
33 - Tranmere(28)
32 -
31 -
30 -
29 -
28 - Grimsby(27),Salford(28), Doncaster(27)
27 -
26 -
25 - Colchester(28)
24 -
23 -
22 -
21 -
20 - Sutton(27)
19 - Forest Green(27)

17th - Swindon Town - 34 points, -4 GD: Bradford(H), Newport(A), Salford(H), Gillingham(A), MK Dons(H)
18th - Tranmere Rovers - 33 points, 1 GD: Grimsby(A), Crewe(H), Doncaster(A), Morecambe(H), Stockport(H)
19th - Grimsby Town, 28 points, -9 GD: Tranmere(H), Accrington(A), Stockport(H), Colchester(A), Doncaster(H)
20th - Salford City, 28 points, -13 GD: Crewe(A), Wrexham(H), Swindon(A), Doncaster(H), Barrow(H)
21st - Doncaster Rovers, 28 points, -15 GD: Stockport(H), Sutton(A), Tranmere(H), Salford(A), Grimsby(A)
22nd - Colchester United, 25 points, -17 GD: Morecambe(A), Forest Green(H), Harrogate(A), Grimsby(H), Accrington(H)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
23rd - Sutton United, 20 points, -24 GD: Walsall(A), Harrogate(H), Doncaster(H), Morecambe(A), Wrexham(H)
24th - Forest Green Rovers, 19 points, -22 GD: Accrington(H), Colchester(A), Mansfield(H), Barrow(A), Crawley(A)

As with the promotion table, not much in terms of updates. We have a new entrant into the bottom 8 and it's Swindon. Losing important players, not replacing them with a lot of proven quality or experience, it's a very concerning time for them. Tranmere have lost their last 2, so need to bounce back. The 3 teams on 28 points aren't secure and Colchester are winless in 3 under the Cowleys, so they need a win soon.

Sutton and FGR continue the slowest game of leapfrog ever. A point for one team and they are off the bottom. Then the following week, the other team gets a point and they move off the bottom. Both teams can't buy a win at the moment.

This weekends fixtures, assuming the weather doesn't see most games cancelled:

Saturday 24th January
Crewe Alex v Salford City
Doncaster Rovers
v Stockport County
Forest Green Rovers v Accrington Stanley
Grimsby Town v Tranmere Rovers
Morecambe v Colchester United
Swindon Town
v Bradford City
Walsall v Sutton United

Some interesting games, a real mixed bag for the teams at the bottom. Salford and Donny have tough games against promotion chasers, whilst FGR, Swindon, Colchester and Sutton have games against more average opponents, so those could go either way.

The big one looks to be Grimsby v Tranmere. The Cod not in the best of form, especially at home. Tranmere lost their last 2. The losing team there will feel a bit nervous I'd say.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Next 2 games are big for us, if we can get something at home to Accy it sets us up for the crucial one at Colchester. If we can get within 2 or 3 points of them after those couple of games we're right back in it.

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
51 - Mansfield(28)
50 - Barrow(29), Crewe(29)
49 -
48 - MK Dons(28)
47 -
46 -
45 - Average Survival(2010-2023)
44 - Notts County(28)
43 -
42 - AFC Wimbledon(28), Gillingham(28)
41 - Accrington(28)
40 - Harrogate(27)
39 - Crawley(27)
38 -
37 - Walsall(27), Swindon(29), Morecambe(27), Newport(28)
36 - Tranmere(29), Bradford(29)
34 -
33 -
32 -
31 - Salford(29)
30 -
29 -
28 - Grimsby(28), Colchester(29), Doncaster(28)
27 -
26 -
25 -
24 -
23 -
22 -
21 - Sutton(28)
20 -
19 - Forest Green(28)

The gap to safety stretches to 8 points with GD, as the bottom 2 fail to win yet again. No win in 12 for FGR, 1 win in 12 for Sutton. Still time to get themselves out of danger, but the games are starting to run out.

Doncaster are now the team to catch after another home hammering. McCann surely on borrowed time? I know he's the best they can hope for, but they look in serious relegation danger under him at the moment. Grimsby also look in trouble, 2 wins under Artell and the moves he's made in the transfer window are questionable at the moment. Colchester scrap out a win and I'm sure they'll be looking to kick on and push to safety. Salford are improving under Karl Robinson and should be safe, but Bradford are now entering the picture off the back of a 7 game winless streak. Not ideal.

17th - Bradford City - 36 points, -4 GD: Wimbledon(H), Wrexham(A), MK Dons(H), Sutton(H), Barrow(A)
18th - Tranmere Rovers - 36 points, 2 GD: Crewe(H), Doncaster(A), Morecambe(H), Stockport(H), Forest Green(A)
19th - Salford City, 31 points, -12 GD: Wrexham(H), Swindon(A), Doncaster(H), Barrow(H), Mansfield(A)
20th - Grimsby Town, 28 points, -10 GD: Accrington(A), Stockport(H), Colchester(A), Doncaster(H), Morecambe(A)
21st - Colchester United, 28 points, -16 GD: Forest Green(H), Harrogate(A), Grimsby(H), Accrington(H), Sutton(A)
22nd - Doncaster Rovers, 28 points, -20 GD: Sutton(A), Tranmere(H), Salford(A), Grimsby(A), Wimbledon(H)
23rd - Sutton United, 20 points, -24 GD: Harrogate(H), Doncaster(H), Morecambe(A), Wrexham(H), Bradford(A)
24th - Forest Green Rovers, 19 points, -22 GD: Colchester(A), Mansfield(H), Barrow(A), Crawley(A), Tranmere(H)

Next Week's Fixtures:

Tuesday 30th January
Sutton United
v Harrogate Town

Saturday 3rd February
Accrington Stanley v Grimsby Town
Bradford City
v AFC Wimbledon
Colchester United v Forest Green Rovers
Salford City
v Wrexham
Sutton United v Doncaster Rovers
Tranmere Rovers
v Crewe Alexandra

Tough games for most of the teams. Grimsby, Bradford, Salford and Tranmere all face promotion chasers. But the two 6 pointers between Col U and FGR, then Sutton v Donny, are massive. If Sutton win that, then things really start to get interesting. Same if FGR can somehow win at Colchester.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Sutton beat Doncaster and it's really up in the air as they are vastly improved and Doncaster would struggle to beat Bradford Park Avenue never mind Bradford City - who are that bad they lost to Swindon Town

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Doncaster will be worried based on today. I think Grimsby will be worried, I really hope they stay up because they're a club I like. I think their squad is good enough generally but unsure on David Artell. I know Hurst takes blame but I'm convinced they'd be absolutely nowhere near relegation under him.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Doncaster will be worried based on today. I think Grimsby will be worried, I really hope they stay up because they're a club I like. I think their squad is good enough generally but unsure on David Artell. I know Hurst takes blame but I'm convinced they'd be absolutely nowhere near relegation under him.
Our performance today absolutely stunk of relegation but I’m hoping that it’s a one off as before that we’ve looked pretty good at one end although still absolutely hideous at the other.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
At some point are Grimsby fans going to admit that aside from Conteh, who I wanted us to sign, their summer recruitment was nowhere near as good as they thought it was and that their squad isn’t stronger this season?

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
At some point are Grimsby fans going to admit that aside from Conteh, who I wanted us to sign, their summer recruitment was nowhere near as good as they thought it was and that their squad isn’t stronger this season?
Going forward our recruitment has definitely improved us but at the back we are shambolic thanks to awful recruitment and that’s the root cause of why we are so shit so yes.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
51 - Mansfield(28)
50 - Barrow(29), Crewe(29)
49 -
48 - MK Dons(28)
47 -
46 -
45 - Average Survival(2010-2023)
44 - Notts County(28)
43 -
42 - AFC Wimbledon(28), Gillingham(28)
41 - Accrington(28)
40 - Harrogate(27)
39 - Crawley(27)
38 -
37 - Walsall(27), Swindon(29), Morecambe(27), Newport(28)
36 - Tranmere(29), Bradford(29)
34 -
33 -
32 -
31 - Salford(29)
30 -
29 -
28 - Grimsby(28), Colchester(29), Doncaster(28)
27 -
26 -
25 -
24 -
23 -
22 -
21 - Sutton(28)
20 -
19 - Forest Green(28)

The gap to safety stretches to 8 points with GD, as the bottom 2 fail to win yet again. No win in 12 for FGR, 1 win in 12 for Sutton. Still time to get themselves out of danger, but the games are starting to run out.

Doncaster are now the team to catch after another home hammering. McCann surely on borrowed time? I know he's the best they can hope for, but they look in serious relegation danger under him at the moment. Grimsby also look in trouble, 2 wins under Artell and the moves he's made in the transfer window are questionable at the moment. Colchester scrap out a win and I'm sure they'll be looking to kick on and push to safety. Salford are improving under Karl Robinson and should be safe, but Bradford are now entering the picture off the back of a 7 game winless streak. Not ideal.

17th - Bradford City - 36 points, -4 GD: Wimbledon(H), Wrexham(A), MK Dons(H), Sutton(H), Barrow(A)
18th - Tranmere Rovers - 36 points, 2 GD: Crewe(H), Doncaster(A), Morecambe(H), Stockport(H), Forest Green(A)
19th - Salford City, 31 points, -12 GD: Wrexham(H), Swindon(A), Doncaster(H), Barrow(H), Mansfield(A)
20th - Grimsby Town, 28 points, -10 GD: Accrington(A), Stockport(H), Colchester(A), Doncaster(H), Morecambe(A)
21st - Colchester United, 28 points, -16 GD: Forest Green(H), Harrogate(A), Grimsby(H), Accrington(H), Sutton(A)
22nd - Doncaster Rovers, 28 points, -20 GD: Sutton(A), Tranmere(H), Salford(A), Grimsby(A), Wimbledon(H)
23rd - Sutton United, 20 points, -24 GD: Harrogate(H), Doncaster(H), Morecambe(A), Wrexham(H), Bradford(A)
24th - Forest Green Rovers, 19 points, -22 GD: Colchester(A), Mansfield(H), Barrow(A), Crawley(A), Tranmere(H)

Next Week's Fixtures:

Tuesday 30th January
Sutton United
v Harrogate Town

Saturday 3rd February
Accrington Stanley v Grimsby Town
Bradford City
v AFC Wimbledon
Colchester United v Forest Green Rovers
Salford City
v Wrexham
Sutton United v Doncaster Rovers
Tranmere Rovers
v Crewe Alexandra

Tough games for most of the teams. Grimsby, Bradford, Salford and Tranmere all face promotion chasers. But the two 6 pointers between Col U and FGR, then Sutton v Donny, are massive. If Sutton win that, then things really start to get interesting. Same if FGR can somehow win at Colchester.

It's actually 13 without a win for us, 3 months since our last win. Next week looks close to last chance saloon I reckon, but we've never beaten a team managed by the Cowleys so it doesn't bode well.

クレイグ

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Wimbledon, Wrexham, MK Dons, Sutton and Barrow next five games for us. We'll lose every single one.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
Going forward our recruitment has definitely improved us but at the back we are shambolic thanks to awful recruitment and that’s the root cause of why we are so shit so yes.
Just going to say Conteh played today and although was not spectacular he was extremely sound. Did everything right. His passing ability was 100% always finding his man and he looked good in tight corners. Hopefully we've signed a good'un.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Wimbledon, Wrexham, MK Dons, Sutton and Barrow next five games for us. We'll lose every single one.

You can't be that bad, thought you looked a decent side when you thumped us 3-0 at our place.

クレイグ

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
You can't be that bad, thought you looked a decent side when you thumped us 3-0 at our place.

We've pretty much fallen off a cliff since we beat Donny in early December.

I don't think I'd feel so downbeat if the football was watchable but it's the worst I've ever seen. Constant hoofball to players that aren't suited to it. Alexander won't deviate from it when it isn't working; Salford and Swindon won almost everything in the air and we refused to try anything else. His starting selections are also baffling - persisting with the worst defender I've ever seen in Ash Taylor, keeping our creative players benched, and not giving Bobby Pointon a chance. Losing to teams missing half their team, losing to teams who haven't won in eight or whatever, halves of football without any attempts at goal etc. It's just awful. It's January and our season is over. We won't go down but we'll finish bottom six unless we go on a decent run, which I can't see.

Cloudy

Reaction score
Supports
Borrusia
I think 99% of Grimsby fans are very disappointed at the recruitment in the summer. Brought in a keeper on a 2 year deal who simply doesn’t make saves,supported by a kid on loan, who has potential, but probably not what you need in a relegation scrap.
Defensively we have taken significant steps backwards. Mularkey, Rogers & possibly Tharme ( harsh as he only made his debut on Saturday ) are downgrades on previous encumbents.
One,slight saving grace is we are at least scoring a few goals

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
We’ve not won at Valley Parade since 2008… I’m not overly confident of winning this one either because you just know it’ll be the one game GA gets right.

クレイグ

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
We’ve not won at Valley Parade since 2008… I’m not overly confident of winning this one either because you just know it’ll be the one game GA gets right.

Was that the year you won League Two with Ince in charge? Great team.

Bring a neck brace if yer visiting. You'll bloody need it.

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
Was that the year you won League Two with Ince in charge? Great team.

Bring a neck brace if yer visiting. You'll bloody need it.
It was. I also think that Ince team holds the best away record for a single season (won 19, drew 3, lost 2) but I may be wrong on that after the last few seasons of not paying much attention down here.

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Twitter rumour (an account with 1k followers, is that reputable?) that we’re trying to pay up Alexander loooooooooooool, posted in the relegation thread because that’s the direction we’re heading…

womble76

Reaction score
Supports
wimbledon
Sutton and fgr got this sown up. The rest of you can relax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andy Butler
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!