Stickied League 2 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2024/25

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
the signings have been better than i was expecting, there were rumours that carol was going to put her hand in her pocket to right her mistakes from last season...she had to do something because you can't expect paying fans to keep paying when you fail to sign strikers over multiple years. we knew what we needed in january to avoid relegation and still didn't go out and sign one, so i can only assume the financial hit of relegation is smaller than what we were being asked to over pay for strikers in january...

anyway...our squad does weirdly have some talent, midfield is pretty good, keeper is pretty good, defence was dreadful last season but I honestly think that was down to coaching and/or tactics in games.

vale fans know all about being a league two struggler, there were a good few season where we were staring down the barrel in this league, and our squad is infinitely better than some of the utter shit we had then...but...difficult to turn a losing mentality around.

at this moment in time there's too many unknowns for me to say we will go and do well although the signings so far have eased that a bit.
We must have paid a fair bit for Stockley as he was a high earner and we've paid a rumoured 6 figure fee so good to see we are finally kicking into gear but it shouldn't have taken relegation to kick start that.

It was completely needless to get relegated and avoidable and as we know getting out this league the right way is never easy.

We need to kick the losing mentality swiftly and hit the ground running or its going to be difficult, that said it would take something major to go wrong for us to be struggling down the bottom.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Weird one. I presume this guy will be cover, but it feels like County are basically just signing anybody at this point.

We only had two natural central midfielders on the books, were always going to sign at least one. Edwards played under Burchnall in Sweden, so I suspect he’s someone we’ve been aware of for ages (and is probably how Doyle knew of him for that spell at Woking last season).

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County

Interesting one, spent most of his career in Scandinavia. Sounds like he had an outstanding little spell at Woking at the back end of last season when he’d come back to England but couldn’t sign for a league club.

First reaction was Woking, wtf?! Further investigations are reassuring, sounded like he was very good for them last season. Always hard to gauge the ability of players who’ve been abroad for a while though.

Gunit

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton
Brought in Sam Hart on a 2 year deal. Had him years ago on loan from Liverpool but no idea how he’s played since other than he seems a bit of a relegation jinx with his last few clubs like Sam Foley used to be. Needed a left back anyway and the less I have to see Dan Jones will take it.
Out of his depth in the league. Can at times look reasonable but only a matter of time before exposed defensively either by someone breezing past or being out of position. A bit shocked he got another league gig. And a little worried Morison wanted him back.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Weird one. I presume this guy will be cover, but it feels like County are basically just signing anybody at this point.

They are money balling it. The Weird Brothers have data that shows he will be the leading player in opposition box penetrations.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC

Never presume. If he turns out to be good he starts, if he doesn't he's cover. I hoping he keeps the beard as we were a little short in facial hair last season.

Ok so he was born in drab Middlesbrough but his playing career is pretty exotic and interesting so thats good.

I actually watched a Woking game where Mr Edwards was playing....... sorry Notts fans nothing to report.

Regardless we were clearly short in midfielder, so a welcome addition.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Will Wright signed from Crawley. Turned down a new deal with them and looks a good addition
Good player, got a decent free kick and can pass the ball out from the back.
Will Wight from Crawley. Another giant.

Going from tippy tappy to hoofball?
Although tall he is not particularly good in the air. Hence he took our corners.

I'm thinking of applying to rejoin league 2. 7 of our first team squad have jumped ship!

Casey

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
We only had two natural central midfielders on the books, were always going to sign at least one. Edwards played under Burchnall in Sweden, so I suspect he’s someone we’ve been aware of for ages (and is probably how Doyle knew of him for that spell at Woking last season).
Might work, I noticed Woking fans waxing lyrical about him. Although I have to say I don't remember him from our games with them myself, or remember any of their players standing out at all really, although it was a difficult season for them.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
He certainly looks a lot older than 30 so I suspect he was on Chesterfield's radar until they checked his D.O.B.
It's gone super quiet round here for a while now, no rumours or whispers. Although I suspect we can't make any new signings until we get a new supply of hair nets and incontinence pants.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Wright is a heck of a signing for Swindon. I know it’s become of a cliche to say ‘woah he should be playing in League 1’ about everyone who signs for a League 2 team but genuinely thought he’d leave Crawley for a better L1 side. Maybe some recency bias as I only watched him in the playoffs though
Steady on.

He takes a good set piece, but he isn't a great defender. League Two steady eddy is about right.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
It's gone super quiet round here for a while now, no rumours or whispers. Although I suspect we can't make any new signings until we get a new supply of hair nets and incontinence pants.
Lads are in Spain for a week on a pre season camp aren’t they. Wouldn’t expect anything to get done whilst we’re out there.

I do wonder how much more business we’ll actually do anyway. Attacking wise (wingers / forwards) were as strong as anyone in the division for me, so can’t see much happening there. Numbers wise, midfield is stacked, so unless someone was to leave I think we’re sorted there too. CB I think we’re done now that Dunkley has signed, unless a Williams/palmer was to leave.

So only areas standing out would be potentially RB depending on what he ends up doing with Mandeville, & definitely another keeper either as Boot’s back up, or to be number 1. I’d be comfortable with either tbf

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Lads are in Spain for a week on a pre season camp aren’t they. Wouldn’t expect anything to get done whilst we’re out there.

I do wonder how much more business we’ll actually do anyway. Attacking wise (wingers / forwards) were as strong as anyone in the division for me, so can’t see much happening there. Numbers wise, midfield is stacked, so unless someone was to leave I think we’re sorted there too. CB I think we’re done now that Dunkley has signed, unless a Williams/palmer was to leave.

So only areas standing out would be potentially RB depending on what he ends up doing with Mandeville, & definitely another keeper either as Boot’s back up, or to be number 1. I’d be comfortable with either tbf
Yea I just think we need a keeper and a right back and we're done aren't we. I don't like to see Mandeville at RB, I just don't think it works and hamstrings one of our more creative players. Bizarrely it might be the Euros holding up the keeper situation, Everton might be just making sure Pickford doesn't pick up any injuries before committing any keepers outgoing. I still think Tyrer coming back might happen but Boot #1 and just sign a back up wouldn't be the end of the world.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams

Very similar to Doncaster at this point last season.

Honestly, I wouldn’t consider any of their signings to be even remotely marquee. Nick Tsaroulla I’d take at City, but that’s about it.

If Jodi Jones struggles to replicate this season form, I think they finish midtable again.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county

Honestly, I wouldn’t consider any of their signings to be even remotely marquee. Nick Tsaroulla I’d take at City, but that’s about it.

If Jodi Jones struggles to replicate this season form, I think they finish midtable again.

Did we need a marquee signing, though? They’re generally forwards and attacking players, where clearly we’re fine. I don’t think it’d be ridiculous to say we probably had the best goalscorer and two most creative players in the division last season, or at least in the conversation for it. We finished mid-table because our selection of goalkeepers and defenders were genuinely appalling and the player holding our midfield together got injured.

I think it’s unarguable that we’ve improved the goalkeeper and back line beyond recognition, and now have at least some cover for Palmer, so I’d be surprised if we didn’t finish higher. How much higher? Dunno, the manager remains the big unknown.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
I'd agree regarding no marquee signings but we have marquee players in Langstaff, Crowley, Jones and McGoldrick already. Only the latter two were considered marquee by myself. We don't need marquee. What we need, what we lack is good solid players at top end L2 level as we had plenty who fell below that level last season. Probably no sharper and bigger drop between best and worst players in starting XI than at Notts.

Players who have done it performed well and ideally been successful at this level. That's what we have appear to have signed. Some positive feedback from fans of clubs that these solid but not spectacular signings have previously paid for. Bass looking the best of the bunch based on last season's performances. Is he marquee?

My biggest concern isn't whether Jones (or Langstaff) can replicate last season's efforts they won't. You can't expect them too when their numbers were 24 assists and 28 goals respectively. My biggest concern is the head coach. If he turns out to be decent we will finish top 7 and probably comfortably based on last season and additions since.

The concern of most clubs is who in their squad is going to score 20+ goals or get near 20 assists.

RavenBish

Antihero
Reaction score
Supports
Shola Ameobi's Notts County
When your whole ‘model’ is signing players that are value for money and the net result is you will outperform your playing budget - something Montague has said repeatedly, then surely the concept of a marquee player would be the antithesis of that.

Following this thread, I have to say I’m relatively impressed with recruitment from most sides but it’s all very upside driven. Maybe the Wrexham furore has altered expectations of what ‘going for it’ actually means.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
When your whole ‘model’ is signing players that are value for money and the net result is you will outperform your playing budget - something Montague has said repeatedly, then surely the concept of a marquee player would be the antithesis of that
I'm not quite sure I'm ready to believe that County outperform their playing budget.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I'm not quite sure I'm ready to believe that County outperform their playing budget.

We didn’t last season but did each year in the National League, apparently. Was about 10th last season, reckon we’ve bumped it up a bit though as we got bigger crowds than we’ll have budgeted for last year.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield

I wouldn't go that far. With Palmer back, and dead wood like Bostock shifted, I think a top 3 spot should be a realistic target.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
We didn’t last season but did each year in the National League, apparently. Was about 10th last season, reckon we’ve bumped it up a bit though as we got bigger crowds than we’ll have budgeted for last year.
I would have thought you were the 2nd highest budget your promotion year, behind Wrexham? Season before, maybe 3rd, behind Wrexham and Stockport? It looks about a par result from the outside looking in.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I would have thought you were the 2nd highest budget your promotion year, behind Wrexham? Season before, maybe 3rd, behind Wrexham and Stockport? It looks about a par result from the outside looking in.

I think we would definitely have been lower than Oldham in the promotion season, and possibly Scunthorpe (lol). Maybe even yourselves, reckon they’d have been similar, and reckon the year before yours was definitely higher when Rowe signed half the league.

We obviously always had a competitive budget in the NL, mind. I think part of it is we give slightly lower wages in exchange for longer contracts - can’t remember the last time we signed or extended someone for just one year.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I think we would definitely have been lower than Oldham in the promotion season, and possibly Scunthorpe (lol). Maybe even yourselves, reckon they’d have been similar, and reckon the year before yours was definitely higher when Rowe signed half the league.

We obviously always had a competitive budget in the NL, mind. I think part of it is we give slightly lower wages in exchange for longer contracts - can’t remember the last time we signed or extended someone for just one year.
I mean, it's possible, Rowe handed out some awful contracts that we've been fighting to get from under since. I've always been under the impression county' budget is just marginally higher than here. But hey, like my missus assures me, size doesn't really matter. I think you'll do well this season. The only question mark is the manager, but that's probably the easiest thing to change on the fly. We're the opposite for me, I think a top half finish would be a success in our first season back. Playoffs would be unreal. I suspect bookies have us favourites purely because of Paul Cooks collection of winners medals. There's no way we should be ahead of MK, Donny, Bradford, yourselves in the betting for my money.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Did we need a marquee signing, though? They’re generally forwards and attacking players, where clearly we’re fine. I don’t think it’d be ridiculous to say we probably had the best goalscorer and two most creative players in the division last season, or at least in the conversation for it. We finished mid-table because our selection of goalkeepers and defenders were genuinely appalling and the player holding our midfield together got injured.

I think it’s unarguable that we’ve improved the goalkeeper and back line beyond recognition, and now have at least some cover for Palmer, so I’d be surprised if we didn’t finish higher. How much higher? Dunno, the manager remains the big unknown.

We were victims of Cook’s success the season before last. He notched 32 goals and we expected him to continue this into last season. In his defence, he did very well last season, scoring 19 goals in a side that created next to fuck all. But my point is, there’s a heavy reliance on two key players reaching those levels again - something they haven’t demonstrated consistently throughout their careers before.

Alex Bass - incredibly average keeper - great shot-stopper. Doesn’t command his area.

Rod McDonald - never heard of the guy, admittedly. According to his CV, he’s been knocking around L2 for a few years now. During the past 4 seasons, his average table finish is below midtable (13.5).

Jacob Bedeau - performed well at low achievers Morecambe. His only other senior outing was helping Scunny stay in the league.

Matty Platt - a very average L2 CB. What can I say? He contributes very little from an attacking perspective, isn’t blessed with great pace and switches off during corners.

Nick Tsaroulla - great signing!

Curtis Edwards - again, never heard of him. I’m not even going to entertain his cameo appearances for Woking - they mean diddly-squat. Last we know, he was cutting about for Stabaek in Sweden’s second division - who were subsequently relegated that same year. Could be a masterclass move, but I’m leaning more towards another poor signing.

A lot of work to be done and I’m not yet convinced you’re stronger than last season, especially if Langstaff is flogged and/or Jones fails to mirror last seasons performance levels.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
I wouldn't go that far. With Palmer back, and dead wood like Bostock shifted, I think a top 3 spot should be a realistic target.

Palmer? As in Matty Palmer?

Have a word.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Palmer? As in Matty Palmer?

Have a word.
Oh mate I really rate him. I don't know much about him before, but he controlled everything for County. Collected loose stuff, kept it simple, set tempo, allowed other players more freedom. His pass success rate must be mental. They're not the same team without him.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Oh mate I really rate him. I don't know much about him before, but he controlled everything for County. Collected loose stuff, kept it simple, set tempo, allowed other players more freedom. His pass success rate must be mental. They're not the same team without him.

A logical response - fair enough!

I look at it from our perspective. We’ve had him at VP before - the younger, inexperienced version, granted.

He might be the perfect fit for Notts in non-league, but he’s yet to produce the goods for them and anyone else in the League since his Burton days, 10 years ago!

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
We were victims of Cook’s success the season before last. He notched 32 goals and we expected him to continue this into last season. In his defence, he did very well last season, scoring 19 goals in a side that created next to fuck all. But my point is, there’s a heavy reliance on two key players reaching those levels again - something they haven’t demonstrated consistently throughout their careers before.

Alex Bass - incredibly average keeper - great shot-stopper. Doesn’t command his area.

Rod McDonald - never heard of the guy, admittedly. According to his CV, he’s been knocking around L2 for a few years now. During the past 4 seasons, his average table finish is below midtable (13.5).

Jacob Bedeau - performed well at low achievers Morecambe. His only other senior outing was helping Scunny stay in the league.

Matty Platt - a very average L2 CB. What can I say? He contributes very little from an attacking perspective, isn’t blessed with great pace and switches off during corners.

Nick Tsaroulla - great signing!

Curtis Edwards - again, never heard of him. I’m not even going to entertain his cameo appearances for Woking - they mean diddly-squat. Last we know, he was cutting about for Stabaek in Sweden’s second division - who were subsequently relegated that same year. Could be a masterclass move, but I’m leaning more towards another poor signing.

A lot of work to be done and I’m not yet convinced you’re stronger than last season, especially if Langstaff is flogged and/or Jones fails to mirror last seasons performance levels.

I honestly don’t think you understand (and I don’t blame you) how, even if you’re right (and you’re the most down on Platt Bradford fan there is, while I would say a whole season at AFCW last year is a better indicator for Bass than an earlier loan spell with you), ‘incredibly average keeper’ and ‘very average L2 CB’ is a massive improvement on some of the nonsense we had to endure last season from Baldwin, Cameron, Brindley and our parade of hopeless goalkeepers.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
That said, he's no Tom Naylor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leomary2000

Latest posts

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!