Stickied League 2 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2024/25

Tom_CUFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I hope, and it's still not particularly excusable, that the only reason we were able to get him back was to give him a long contract with this piss poor release clause in there. Again I hope it reads something like, "if the team don't get promoted in 2 years then the release clause reduces to 250k" rather than it just being flat out 250k. The only rationale against that is that some of the reports have said we are "close to agreeing a fee", which would suggest it's not a release clause, in which case some people at the club are going to rightly take a hell of a lot of stick for this cock up.

The problem now is even if he says no to Hibs, everyone else knows how damn cheap he is, he's a goner one way or another.

AmberRich

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Apparently Berry has a release clause in his contract for 250k which is an absolutely joke.

I believe we signed him for 75k and if we gave Barnsley a sell on fee we will come out of this with next to nothing.

I hope we have a striker lined up if he does decide to move on. Personally I think there is still a chance he would reject it. His bird has a big say in where he goes and they're both from Cambridge. She was at Uni in Leeds when he played for Barnsley and once she finished and wanted to come back home Berry wanted the move back south.
I starting to think he won't sign for Hibs. They are a big club but are they so big that you'd move across the UK to play for them.

Also if he did move to Hibs their average wage from the last time they played in the SPL was £1900, that can't be far from what we are already paying him. Portsmouth and Millwall are apparently interested in him and they could pay him more, and if he wants to play for a big club and in front of big crowds then Millwall get crowds just as big as Hibs and Portsmouth get ones even bigger.

I don't see the logic in him moving to Hibs

Stringy

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Mansfield only received £100,000 for Sam Clucas when he moved to Chesterfield a couple of Januarys ago. We all thought it was a terrible deal at the time even though he was out of contract in the summer. One year later he moved to Hull for 1.3m and we had a sell-on clause which eased the pain.

Just saying that the Berry deal might look bad now but there's a chance it could be better in the end. Although a chance of that happening is no good to you now.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
If that clause is real, then it would have almost certainly been put in place how Tom called it. As in a "this is the only way you'll get me back" kind of thing, surely? And why not, on Cambridge's part? When he originally left, you'd have never envisaged him coming back so soon.

I'm wondering if Mansfield are gonna be looking to get their grubby little paws into the mix here, maybe?

Last edited:

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Mansfield only received £100,000 for Sam Clucas when he moved to Chesterfield a couple of Januarys ago. We all thought it was a terrible deal at the time even though he was out of contract in the summer. One year later he moved to Hull for 1.3m and we had a sell-on clause which eased the pain.

Just saying that the Berry deal might look bad now but there's a chance it could be better in the end. Although a chance of that happening is no good to you now.
There was an article this week about how we've done well out of release clauses (and also futures) over the last few years, which historically hadn't been the case under previous owners...
http://www.hattersnews.co.uk/LTFC.php?ID=10478

We've turned £600,000 from Gray into nearly £2.5m.
We've got a big sell on fee with McGeehan.
We've also got a big sell on for Cauley Woodrow, who could well also move this summer for 7-figures.
We'll inevitably make a lot of money from Jay Dasilva, who could well onto become a PL first teamer. Ian Wright quoted him that he'd become the next Ashley Cole.

Its important for teams at this level to consider having a higher release clause at the expense of a slightly reduced initial fee.

Last edited:

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
I starting to think he won't sign for Hibs. They are a big club but are they so big that you'd move across the UK to play for them.

Also if he did move to Hibs their average wage from the last time they played in the SPL was £1900, that can't be far from what we are already paying him. Portsmouth and Millwall are apparently interested in him and they could pay him more, and if he wants to play for a big club and in front of big crowds then Millwall get crowds just as big as Hibs and Portsmouth get ones even bigger.

I don't see the logic in him moving to Hibs

You are aware Rangers and Celtic play in front of nearly 60,000 people a week?

My Scottish team is Hearts so I hope he flops in the SPL but Hibs won the Cup 2 seasons ago and have a great chance in all the cup competitions and a chance of playing in Europe if they do well so it's a bit of a non-brainer really.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Hibernian are probably the third biggest club in Scotland aren't they? They were playing in the Europa League last season and got to the Scottish Cup SF. They were regularly getting mid-high teen thousands through their doors every week. I think they also have over 10,000 season ticket holders and got over £1m for their star striker, so I dare say you're being a bit disingenuous there.

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
Quite predictably the BBC reporting:

Ethan Ampadu [Exeter City - Chelsea] Undisclosed

So that'll be a bag of peanuts and no sell on clause then... :bang:

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Hibernian are probably the third biggest club in Scotland aren't they? They were playing in the Europa League last season and got to the Scottish Cup SF. They were regularly getting mid-high teen thousands through their doors every week. I think they also have over 10,000 season ticket holders and got over £1m for their star striker, so I dare say you're being a bit disingenuous there.
They've also been in the second tier for three years, though.

Agree with your comments regarding sell on clauses. It's good if you can find that middle ground of getting a decent fee and a chunky sell on clause, like you did with Gray. We had that with Ryan Bennett too, think he went to Peterborough for £500,000 then we got about 25% of £3.2m when he went to Norwich. That's the best we've had over recent years.

AmberRich

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I think Berry will leave Cambridge, just not necessarily to Hibs.

If being far from home is a problem then moving all the way to Edinburgh, despite it being a great city, doesn't really make sense.

If you want to move because of money then unless Hibs thinks he's going to be one of their top players then you're probably better off at trying to get a big League 1 club like Portsmouth or even a Championship club to sign you.

If the only reason you want to move is because you want to play in front of crowds of 15000-20000 then Hibs is an option but you could also find club in England who gets that.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to Hibs or Scotland but Luke Berry moving to Hibs just seems like a very random move.

Reactions: SVH

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
If you want to move because of money then unless Hibs thinks he's going to be one of their top players then you're probably better off at trying to get a big League 1 club like Portsmouth or even a Championship club to sign you.
It's not inconceivable that he would be one of their top players, though. Rob Jones went there from us, off the back of one decent season in L2, and became their captain within his first season there.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
I think Berry will leave Cambridge, just not necessarily to Hibs.

If being far from home is a problem then moving all the way to Edinburgh, despite it being a great city, doesn't really make sense.

If the only reason you want to move is because you want to play in front of crowds of 15000-20000 then Hibs is an option but you could also find club in England who gets that.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to Hibs or Scotland but Luke Berry moving to Hibs just seems like a very random move.
To a point I agree with you, but like it or not the SPL is an upgrade on L2 or possibly L1.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
If the release clause is only 250k then I think we should have had a crack at that instead of Collins to be honest.

Would have been so worth it to see my Cambridge supporting father in laws face too, ah what could have been.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
If the release clause is only 250k then I think we should have had a crack at that instead of Collins to be honest.

Would have been so worth it to see my Cambridge supporting father in laws face too, ah what could have been.
I presume its only £250k for higher division clubs.

#Beebot

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet, Maidenhead
In my opinion that depends who you sign for in the SPL.

Agree.

Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, no doubt.

Beyond that I don't think any other teams in that league would stand out in League 1 and below the top 6/7 the standard drops to L2 and National League.

Moving from any top half L2 side to Kilmarnock is a downward step.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
having watched a fair amount of aberdeen games, the standard they play at would be mid table L1. Doubt they could get promoted to the Championship tbh.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Genuinely dislike the comparisons to Scottish football because people fail to weigh up a variety of factors.

I totally understand on current squad levels a lot of League Two/Conference players are turning out for cannon fodder in the SPL and that's the basis for many people's judgement of the SPL. But here's a thought...

If the best 12 clubs in Scotland joined the English league, it's abundantly clear that with the access to greater revenues, the fanbases and chances to upgrade their facilities that Celtic and Rangers would easily establish themselves in the Premier League, I wouldn't even put it past Aberdeen either given the size of the city and the catchment area too. If Aberdeen were to build a 30,000 stadium playing in the English league system, I'd back them to fill each and every seat without question. Hearts, Hibs and possibly Dundee United would probably be 2nd tier looking at trying to break into the top tier as well with all that Football League revenue as well giving Scottish football fans a renewed interest in following their team rather than the predictable mid-table SPL finish each year. As for your Kilmarnock's, Motherwell's etc well they'd obviously be lower division clubs because the respective towns are in Rangers/Celtic territory and so they wouldn't have the fanbase nor the club size to grow much further than what they are now. But there are 6 clubs in Scotland that could easily cut it in the upper reaches of the English leagues if you gave them access to the significant amounts of cash that our Championship sides currently enjoy. They'd also be attractive for foreign investors looking to push on and develop a club then too...

Sadly it's all hypothetical and it'd never happen, but you can't possibly compare the two. Certainly not lower league fans anyway. The only comparison between both our leagues is that the Premier League and its riches has severely shafted us both!

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Anyways I'm told he will reject the move to Hibs.

Opens the door for the likes of Millwall and Pompey though.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town

Hibs are not the third biggest club in Scotland, of that I'm very sure.

Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts are bigger for a start.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Genuinely dislike the comparisons to Scottish football because people fail to weigh up a variety of factors.

I totally understand on current squad levels a lot of League Two/Conference players are turning out for cannon fodder in the SPL and that's the basis for many people's judgement of the SPL. But here's a thought...

If the best 12 clubs in Scotland joined the English league, it's abundantly clear that with the access to greater revenues, the fanbases and chances to upgrade their facilities that Celtic and Rangers would easily establish themselves in the Premier League, I wouldn't even put it past Aberdeen either given the size of the city and the catchment area too. If Aberdeen were to build a 30,000 stadium playing in the English league system, I'd back them to fill each and every seat without question. Hearts, Hibs and possibly Dundee United would probably be 2nd tier looking at trying to break into the top tier as well with all that Football League revenue as well giving Scottish football fans a renewed interest in following their team rather than the predictable mid-table SPL finish each year. As for your Kilmarnock's, Motherwell's etc well they'd obviously be lower division clubs because the respective towns are in Rangers/Celtic territory and so they wouldn't have the fanbase nor the club size to grow much further than what they are now. But there are 6 clubs in Scotland that could easily cut it in the upper reaches of the English leagues if you gave them access to the significant amounts of cash that our Championship sides currently enjoy. They'd also be attractive for foreign investors looking to push on and develop a club then too...

Sadly it's all hypothetical and it'd never happen, but you can't possibly compare the two. Certainly not lower league fans anyway. The only comparison between both our leagues is that the Premier League and its riches has severely shafted us both!

Very good post. Wouldn't argue with any of your points made.

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
We've sold Ethan pinnock to Barnsley :( we said we wouldn't sell him for less than 1 million so I hope that's the figure we received, I know we rejected a 500k bid from them so it will be more than that. Absolutely gutted though this lad will be playing Premier league football very soon.

And if we make 1 million pounds on a player can we spend the whole 1 million without breaching financial fair play?
Leagues one and two are governed by Salary Cost Management Protocal (SCMP).
Under SCMP transfer fees received are classed as 'fortune income', and clubs are allowed to spend 100% of fortune income.
So I short, yes you could spend the whole fee.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Why this thread has descended into an argument about the standards of Scotch football I've no idea...

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Count yourself lucky - the other day in the same thread in L1, an acceptable justification as to why one Club was bigger than the other was centred around how many platforms a rail station had...

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Count yourself lucky - the other day in the same thread in L1, an acceptable justification as to why one Club was bigger than the other was centred around how many platforms a rail station had...

I wish that was the case, no one is beating our 12 platforms in this division that's for sure... :bg:

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I think an acceptable gauge to how big a club is would be to count how many episodes of 'Skint' the towns in question had featured in.
And also what percentage of the population of the towns are smack heads.

On that basis we piss it. Thanks.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Is something going on at Cambridge? Might be selling their best player for less than half what he's worth to them and I saw they withdrew a planning application for the new stadium this week too?

Rumours surfacing we plan to buy back our stadium, build hotel/flats at the front part of the ground which will fund redevelopment of the Abbey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
footman

Latest posts

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!