Saturday 31st August

Grimsby Road

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
they're all crying in their warm southern beer
Can i say with any degree of confidence already that Swindon & Morecambe are definitely worse than us so we won't go down or is it too early?

Limerick Mariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Thought we played really well today ,Bradford a much better matchup for us than Notts and if you watched today you would think we are a decent side .

Bradford not that good , missed Sarcevic I think they will be play-offs probably just didn't play well and a bad matchup for them .
Icelandic lad is decent .

Will be a much tougher matchup for us next week against a Paul Cook team and I don't expect much from that but thereafter Barrow and Bromley at home who should provide a decent opportunity for points and a relatively decent start to deter the Artell haters from too much abuse(doubtful).
Today was really first time we’ve had pure Artellball working fully with his players. I’ve been concerned about the weakness at full back, where we’ve had no injuries and looked very vulnerable, rather than the midfield being overrun, v Notts for example, where we were missing 1 and then 2 key players. But today the FBs were much improved and Green was excellent in midfield. But the real finds are the two acquired from other leagues. McJannet is an absolute coup, and Svanthorsson is going be a right handful. Only worry is we might not hang onto them that long.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Where are the tears? All I've seen is our fans saying it as it is. We should have won and we threw away points again. 3 out of 4 games we've dominated and not won.
Not trying to be arsey at all here, but does that not suggest you're perhaps not quite as good as you think you are in other areas? Lost count of the amount of sides who come down here and have more possession than we do, barely trouble the keeper and go away empty handed. I appreciate you've hit the woodwork a few times today (as did we twice!) but Morris has otherwise had very little to do in goal, a lot down to our fantastic defensive unit and a sheer amount of hard work. I'm glad we don't go down the possession route personally, I find a lot of it fluff and lacking substance down at this level, though I appreciate it worked very well for you last season - We play to our own strengths and find our own ways to win. We're never going to regularly batter sides but we'll win our fair share of tight ones and always have done, plus what it does mean is that we're rarely out of games we're behind in either. Some days it doesn't go our way, today it did.

For a decent comparison, we played Notts County at home at a similar-ish time last season and they were probably a better side than Chesterfield today - Notts style worked to a point at this level but they got badly found out, I think the same might happen over the course of the season with Chesterfield as I'm not sure you have too many other ways of playing other than this one. I wish you well to be honest, I've seen a lot of Chesterfield over the past few years and been entertained, but I'm glad you've got nothing today.

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
Solid from us today..Fleetwood tidy on ball with little threat up front.. Any other year and we would have dropped points here
I think you summed up the game nicely. No threat from us up front, reasonably solid in defense but good win for you lads. We've had a more than decent start so plenty to look forward to -I hope !

Limerick Mariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Well we've played both you and Swindon and on that score I can confidently no you can't.

Everything is too early.
You haven’t played at the new fortress Blundell Park yet though - we hadn’t won our first two home league games in the EFL since…I can’t remember…

CTFCfan99

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham
Didn't play as well as we can but we're still the better side today and deserved the 3 points silly late goal to concede when we were completely in control.
Would have been a travesty if you didn't win that. Thought first half was fairly even but you bossed it second half bar a few minutes after our goal when you started to sit back a bit.

A lot of our fans are already turning on Flynn which is absolutely mad after only 4 games with 19 new players. It's a worrying start but got to give it 10-12 games at least. We have some decent players but they are not clicking as a team right now.

We Are Sailing

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Not trying to be arsey at all here, but does that not suggest you're perhaps not quite as good as you think you are in other areas? Lost count of the amount of sides who come down here and have more possession than we do, barely trouble the keeper and go away empty handed. I appreciate you've hit the woodwork a few times today (as did we twice!) but Morris has otherwise had very little to do in goal, a lot down to our fantastic defensive unit and a sheer amount of hard work. I'm glad we don't go down the possession route personally, I find a lot of it fluff and lacking substance down at this level, though I appreciate it worked very well for you last season - We play to our own strengths and find our own ways to win. We're never going to regularly batter sides but we'll win our fair share of tight ones and always have done, plus what it does mean is that we're rarely out of games we're behind in either. Some days it doesn't go our way, today it did.

For a decent comparison, we played Notts County at home at a similar-ish time last season and they were probably a better side than Chesterfield today - Notts style worked to a point at this level but they got badly found out, I think the same might happen over the course of the season with Chesterfield as I'm not sure you have too many other ways of playing other than this one. I wish you well to be honest, I've seen a lot of Chesterfield over the past few years and been entertained, but I'm glad you've got nothing today.
Load of shite that mate. Cheers though.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield

We're just a typical Paul Cook team. Possession based, keep it down and play, 4-2-3-1 and use the wide men in a front 3 behind a lone striker. He'll never change and almost never have a plan b, it's just his way. It's worked for him pretty much every place he's been though so it's kind of hard to argue with the track record. Personally would always prefer to pay for entertaining football than watch negative defense first ball, especially at home. But provided you keep winning I can understand why Gills fans wouldn't give two shits where the points were coming from. The issue is with that style is when it starts to not work, the vultures start circling very quickly, no c*** wants to watch negative losing football

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
We're just a typical Paul Cook team. Possession based, keep it down and play, 4-2-3-1 and use the wide men in a front 3 behind a lone striker. He'll never change and almost never have a plan b, it's just his way. It's worked for him pretty much every place he's been though so it's kind of hard to argue with the track record. Personally would always prefer to pay for entertaining football than watch negative defense first ball, especially at home. But provided you keep winning I can understand why Gills fans wouldn't give two shits where the points were coming from. The issue is with that style is when it starts to not work, the vultures start circling very quickly, no c*** wants to watch negative losing football
That was sort of my point, you don't have a plan B when plan A doesn't work. You just try it over and over and in the National League you won a lot of games late through sheer persistence. I don't think that'll work as much a level up. We're more malleable in the sense that we play differently depending who we're against - we would've been stupid to go toe to toe with you today, rather let you do your thing and trust our defence to keep you out which we were able to do with a bit of fortune thrown in. We'll probably play differently next week.

On the entertainment thing, I've seen many sides come here and knock the ball about with wonderful technical ability and all the rest of it and go home with nothing because they can't put the ball in the net. Entertaining football is winning football, and I don't really mind how we play as long as we win as you say.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Hang on, is Joethegill trying to tell Paul Cook that his style which he has always religiously played and managed just the 4 promotions (x4 league titles) with isn’t going to work and will get found out?

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
That was sort of my point, you don't have a plan B when plan A doesn't work. You just try it over and over and in the National League you won a lot of games late through sheer persistence. I don't think that'll work as much a level up. We're more malleable in the sense that we play differently depending who we're against - we would've been stupid to go toe to toe with you today, rather let you do your thing and trust our defence to keep you out which we were able to do with a bit of fortune thrown in. We'll probably play differently next week.

On the entertainment thing, I've seen many sides come here and knock the ball about with wonderful technical ability and all the rest of it and go home with nothing because they can't put the ball in the net. Entertaining football is winning football, and I don't really mind how we play as long as we win as you say.
We'll see, Cookies track record is beyond dispute tbf and he doesn't really deal in plan b's, just make plan a better. It would have worked today too in 99/100 of games, it was just a freak of a game today. Your best player was the post, you don't see that often, we could have won at a canter. We are kind of a side in a transitional period right now as well. Like, not a single one of that defence would have turned out for us there last season. New keeper too, as Boot was backup last season. We've got new players in other positions as well, plus near a full team of injuries. There's still a bit of gelling and stuff to be done. We should still be fine. A top half finish would be a good season first back.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Hang on, is Joethegill trying to tell Paul Cook that his style which he has always religiously played and managed just the 4 promotions (x3 league titles) with isn’t going to work and will get found out?
With the players you currently have, then no, I don't think it'll work as well as you think it will. Not enough up front, nor is your defence good enough.

I'm not sure what's tricky to understand about that.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Chesterfield meltdown already!?! It at least took us until the last couple of weeks of the season to issue our ‘actually I think you’ll find we keep winning on xG every week’ club statement last year.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
We'll see, Cookies track record is beyond dispute tbf and he doesn't really deal in plan b's, just make plan a better. It would have worked today too in 99/100 of games, it was just a freak of a game today. Your best player was the post, you don't see that ogre, we could have won at a canter. We are kind of a side in a transitional period right now as well. Like, not a single one of that defence would have turned out for us there last season. New keeper too, as Boot was backup last season. We've got new players in other positions as well, plus near a full team of injuries. There's still a bit of gelling and stuff to be done. We should still be fine. A top half finish would be a good season first back.
I don't disagree to an extent, I appreciate you're missing a few and could improve as the season goes on - although I've previously stated in other threads I think you'll miss a bit of a destroyer in central midfield against the better sides. The sides with better defences will be happy to do what we did today I'd imagine. I've said in more or less every post that we got fortunate with the woodwork but that happens, we got a bit of luck and took one of our chances for our goal.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
With the players you currently have, then no, I don't think it'll work as well as you think it will. Not enough up front, nor is your defence good enough.

I'm not sure what's tricky to understand about that.
For someone who claims they watch a lot of games as a scout or whatever you’re coming across as having very little knowledge to me. We have one of the best attacks in the league when everyone’s fit and by the end of this season the stats will show that. As spireite has already told you, the back 4 is completely new this season, and the one that started today included Tom Naylor and Chey Dunkley at the heart of it who have the spent the vast majority of their careers at a higher level than league 2, but once again Joethegill claims they’re not ‘up to it’. The thing with us in terms of goals conceded isn’t always down to the personnel either, more just an obvious weakness of the way we play with bombing full backs… any team that does that will be open at times to the counter attack. Thankfully we have better individuals in there than last year that should hopefully prevent as many goals being conceded.

Listen mate, on another day we’ve thumped you for 4 or 5 and you’re not coming out with any of this waffle. It’s the tight margins that is football, games like this happen. Just accept you got fortunate and move on pal. I’d also spend less time talking about us and our apparent weakness and focus on that ‘style of play’ of yours that you played today, because that ain’t sustainable and I hope you set up in a similar way when you come our place. See you then

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Chesterfield meltdown already!?! It at least took us until the last couple of weeks of the season to issue our ‘actually I think you’ll find we keep winning on xG every week’ club statement last year.
He’s just talking out his arse mate and he’s being corrected that’s all

Reading-Gills

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Not sure how anyone can watch that Dunkley assault on Andrews and not think it's at least a booking. Very lucky not to see a straight red. Studs up into the knee, very nasty stuff. Must have been frustrating seeing his teammates fluff chance after chance.
Hopefully Cook has them in for some extra finishing training.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
For someone who claims they watch a lot of games as a scout or whatever you’re coming across as having very little knowledge to me. We have one of the best attacks in the league when everyone’s fit and by the end of this season the stats will show that. As spireite has already told you, the back 4 is completely new this season, and the one that started today included Tom Naylor and Chey Dunkley at the heart of it who have the spent the vast majority of their careers at a higher level than league 2, but once again Joethegill claims they’re not ‘up to it’.

Listen mate, on another day we’ve thumped you for 4 or 5 and you’re not coming out with any of this waffle. It’s the tight margins that is football, games like this happen. Just accept you got fortunate and move on pal. I’d also spend less time talking about us and our apparent weakness and focus on that ‘style of play’ of yours that you played today, because that ain’t sustainable and I hope you set up in a similar way when you come our place. See you then
I've literally said this several times :lol: .

Apologies, I forgot you were the only side with new players and an injury list. Bad form from me. You know as well as I do that Naylor isn't a centre back so you can't really use that as an excuse, Dunkley is a decent defender but you don't have a good defensive unit. Boot is a downgrade on what you had last season, your full backs look ok going forward but susceptible defensively (nothing majorly different to last season to be fair) and Naylor is a midfielder. You have a good array of attacking midfielders, but you have one senior striker who is only really good for a 6 yard tap in these days. So I'll stick with my statement that defensively you're suspect and up front you're short - in the middle of the pitch you have a good set of options. Quigley was shite but at least he gave you a different option. Drummond may come good but who's to know this early?

We played to our strengths today and came away with the points, that'll do me.

And thank you for taking an interest in my employment, lovely of you to take the time to care :blush:

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I don't disagree to an extent, I appreciate you're missing a few and could improve as the season goes on - although I've previously stated in other threads I think you'll miss a bit of a destroyer in central midfield against the better sides. The sides with better defences will be happy to do what we did today I'd imagine. I've said in more or less every post that we got fortunate with the woodwork but that happens, we got a bit of luck and took one of our chances for our goal.
I'm glad we're starting to agree that luck was on your side today and you're showing a bit more humility, but it's a bit weird that this had been a thing. Good luck for the rest of the season, I had you top 3 and I'd say that could be on for you. Judging by today the only thing that could fall you short is up front and the lack of a positive attitude.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Sounds like Chesterfield were unlucky and clearly there is real frustration to get nothing against a side with 10 men for over half an hour.

Didn't see the match, won't watch the highlights but my only issue is I heard Chesterfield fans claim almost every time we played them in NL that they were the better side , deserved to win no matter what the scoreline. The 2022/23 season the perfect example, they deserved to win the play off final, they game they lost at Saltergate and the draw at Meadow Lane. Since then I take the comments like we dominated 3 out of 4 games with a heavy dose of salt.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Just responding to one guy being abit of a wally and talking a lot of shit, although I do appreciate we are taking over the room a little bit. Please, continue.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
I've literally said this several times :lol: .

Apologies, I forgot you were the only side with new players and an injury list. Bad form from me. You know as well as I do that Naylor isn't a centre back so you can't really use that as an excuse, Dunkley is a decent defender but you don't have a good defensive unit. Boot is a downgrade on what you had last season, your full backs look ok going forward but susceptible defensively (nothing majorly different to last season to be fair) and Naylor is a midfielder. You have a good array of attacking midfielders, but you have one senior striker who is only really good for a 6 yard tap in these days. So I'll stick with my statement that defensively you're suspect and up front you're short - in the middle of the pitch you have a good set of options. Quigley was shite but at least he gave you a different option. Drummond may come good but who's to know this early?

We played to our strengths today and came away with the points, that'll do me.

And thank you for taking an interest in my employment, lovely of you to take the time to care :blush:
You do realise Tom Naylor has played a lot of his career as a centre back don’t you? In the championship and in league 1? He’s just that good that he’s a brilliant CM too.

Once again showing how little you know about our defence as Lewis Gordon came with better reports from Bristol Rovers fans about his defensive qualities specifically one on one rather than his attacking qualities, and from what I’ve seen of him so far I’d agree on that also.

In terms of the striking department where we apparently only have one senior striker, are you forgetting a certain Paddy Madden that scored 17 goals in last years league champions? And don’t say ‘oh he’s a number 10 now’ because the mans scored for fun all his career as a number 9 and is still obviously more than capable of scoring goals given what he did last year.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Sounds like Chesterfield were unlucky and clearly there is real frustration to get nothing against a side with 10 men for over half an hour.

Didn't see the match, won't watch the highlights but my only issue is I heard Chesterfield fans claim almost every time we played them in NL that they were the better side , deserved to win no matter what the scoreline. The 2022/23 season the perfect example, they deserved to win the play off final, the game they lost at Saltergate and the draw at Meadow Lane. Since then I take the comments like we dominated 3 out of 4 games with a heavy dose of salt.
Tell you something we don’t half owe you one this season for that P/O final. I can’t lie and I’m sure you can sense it, but I’ve developed a real bitterness towards you lot after that game, just can’t help it. Still makes me sick to the stomach whenever I think about it.

Just need one win against you this year to banish all memory of it and get back to not minding Notts County and enjoying the games against them like I always did before we met in the NL, can’t be too much to ask for.

spireite

We used to make shit
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I can't wait for the xG and possession derby either. Will be like a kid at Christmas that whole week. We owe that lot one.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Fantastic win for Grimsby. I rate Bradford too.

Have I got it wrong on David Artell I wonder? It would be a massive, massive rarity for me to have got one wrong so I do have to be cautious.

Reading-Gills

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
In terms of the striking department where we apparently only have one senior striker, are you forgetting a certain Paddy Madden that scored 17 goals in last years league champions? And don’t say ‘oh he’s a number 10 now’ because the mans scored for fun all his career as a number 9 and is still obviously more than capable of scoring goals given what he did last year.
Great performance from Madden today :whistle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betpaddi

Latest posts

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!